• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 Nabs ‘Fastest Selling Western MMO’ Crown, Looks East for More Records

Jira

http://techland.time.com/2013/08/16...estern-mmo-crown-looks-east-for-more-records/

The fastest selling MMO in the history of Western video games? Why World of War–err, wait a second…not World of Warcraft? Doesn’t WoW have a bazillion chart-topping subscribers? Isn’t it still cooking along nine years after it launched back in prehistoric November 2004?

It does and it is, though its numbers have fallen precipitously in recent years…you know, as people finally run out of barrel-sized candles to burn at both ends (and despite Blizzard’s admirable attempts at keeping the multifaceted content train a-chuggin’). Still, it took WoW years to reach its record-shattering, apex predator heights. Rome wasn’t built in a day and all that jazz.

How about a year then? Guild Wars 2 debuted last August and shot off the block like Usain Bolt, bringing the game an enormous (and apparently sustained) stock of subscribers. DFC Intelligence, an international market research firm focused on cross-platform video game metrics, just joined hands with Guild Wars 2 developer ArenaNet to announce that the game is now the fastest-selling MMO in history — and that’s just counting European and North American sales.

Phazon

Well deserved, I still play it 30-60 minutes on a daily basis these days.

Total time should be around 1500 hours since release and tbh, I don't regret it.

Phil4000

and World of Warcraft is literally dying/shedding subscribers...

has the WoW killer finally arrived?!
UmpOi.gif

Ashodin

What gets me is that the playerbase is still stable. They haven't left in droves, and I think it's because of the way they handle the gem store and the non sub from launch.

Retro

The real treat is that Jira and I's Infographic was attached to this article, which is really impressive considering the absurdly awesome community out there churning out videos, images blog posts and what-have-you. GAF > Internet > GAF, baby!

I hope it doesn't by that time they should be onto Guild Wars 3 instead of milking the proverbial cow...

Actually, they've said in interviews that the engine is nimble enough that they can change Guild Wars 2 to meet whatever they want to add later:

But what about the possibility of another entry in the MMO franchise? Could we one day see Guild Wars 3?

According to Johanson, it's unlikely. He explained, "We want to be able to have teams that are literally developing new, innovative features that change the way that you play our game and grow that experience so it literally feels like you don’t leave Guild Wars 2; Guild Wars 2 becomes Guild Wars 2.5 or Guild Wars 3 and it continues to grow." (source)

We'll have to wait and see because they said similar things about GW1's expansions.

Meh, I hope WoW lasts forever. That'll keep those gamers out of GW2.

They could always go play Wildstar, if they only knew it existed. Carbine keeps putting out videos but the level of hype seems absurdly small for such a decent-looking game.. That seems to cater heavily to the old fashioned Trinity / Raid / Quest mechanics... or Elder Scrolls Online if they want to keep paying a sub for a game unworthy of its predecessors' name (I kid; they haven't announced the payment plan yet).

Ploid 3.0

I finally bought some gems. Now I have 7 character slots, a bank upgrade, and enough for another bank upgrade. Currently leveling up warrior. I really do miss Bazaar of the Four Winds. It's much slower to level up new characters in the Queen's Pavilion, there's a chance at loot though I guess.

Ashodin

I finally bought some gems. Now I have 7 character slots, a bank upgrade, and enough for another bank upgrade. Currently leveling up warrior. I really do miss Bazaar of the Four Winds. It's much slower to level up new characters in the Queen's Pavilion, there's a chance at loot though I guess.

The Bazaar had some of the most beautiful music added to the game yet.

Hedge

The bazaar update was my favorite only because of ties to Glint. Gives me faith they haven't completely forgotten GW1 existed. ;)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Is WoW actually dying? What are the latest numbers?
No way. I mean only a really silly definition of the word would enable you to say it's "dying" with a straight face. Millions of people worldwide are still playing it every day.

I think it's wholly fair to say that is no longer growing, though, let alone "the fastest growing." WoW experienced what was very likely its "peak" in terms of active subscriptions in Q1 2011, and the decline appears to be accelerating.

Of course, even if WoW only had one subscriber it would still be more than GW2 ;)

Ultimatum

Banned

What does this even mean? I want to get back into playing GW2 but I can't be bothered to level up, did I miss out on some fast levelling thing? Wasn't there always a chance of loot? I feel like I've missed so much GW2 news

Phil4000

Everquest Next looks to be the next logical step in the genre if all the promises pan out.. The artstyle looks a lot like a next-gen WoW too :)
gaming-everquest-8.jpg

Sophia

What does this even mean? I want to get back into playing GW2 but I can't be bothered to level up, did I miss out on some fast levelling thing? Wasn't there always a chance of loot? I feel like I've missed so much GW2 news

Bazaar of the Four Winds was a temporary event that happened last month. It offered some really good experience for leveling players.

The Queen's Pavilion is the new temporary event currently going on. The rate of experienced earn is not quite as fast as the Bazaar from last month however.

Remember, almost every new piece of content that comes out scales a player to 80 for the duration of it. If you want to join in, you can. And you're rewarded for it.

Hedge

The real treat is that Jira and I's Infographic was attached to this article, which is really impressive considering the absurdly awesome community out there churning out videos, images blog posts and what-have-you. GAF > Internet > GAF, baby!

It was an amazing piece you made, so I'm not surprised. I hope they gave you credit. ;)

Ashodin

Everquest Next looks to be the next logical step in the genre if all the promises pan out.. The artstyle looks a lot like a next-gen WoW too :)
gaming-everquest-8.jpg

I whole heartily agree on the evolution of the genre, but the art style I would say is all its own.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I whole heartily agree on the evolution of the genre, but the art style I would say is all its own.
*shrug* It does remind me of WoW. That's a :( for me though.

Throw on some XP boosters and the Living Story content there is now- the Crown Pavilion- is crazy good XP as well.

I can't imagine a better time to jump back in than this weekend actually. Something (big?) is coming Tuesday, and it's mostly a mystery.

Mugaaz

It lost almost 40% of it's userbase between 2010 and now.

I think a 10 year old game with 7 million subscribers cannot be described with any word resembling failure or death. There will be new WoW expaks 10 years from now.

Robin64

Is this right?

According to the infographic, GW2 has sold somewhere around 3 million to date.

Cataclysm sold 3.3 million in a DAY.

What's being counted here exactly?

Won

I'm pretty sure WoW isn't even in the top 5 of fastest selling MMOs anymore. Weird way to start an article.

Retro

It was an amazing piece you made, so I'm not surprised. I hope they gave you credit. ;)

Oh, they did at the bottom as is standard. Our names are also in the image itself. The writer of the article was really nice and asked us first.

Not to date; that's as of January, almost half a year ago. ArenaNet keeps their data pretty close to the chest.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Is this right?

I don't know why you're comparing an expansion to a game that already has a solidified userbase to one that is building it up. Comparing an expansion to a new standalone game is a poor relationship at best.

gokieks

Is this right?

I'm guessing sales for a new MMO, not an expansion.

And really "fastest selling" crown really means very little, especially for MMOs. Longevity matters a whole lot more.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
They retweeted it so they're aware.
Really? I missed that! Congrats.
I don't know why you're comparing an expansion to a game that already has a solidified userbase to one that is building it up. Comparing an expansion to a new standalone game is a poor relationship at best.
To put this more simply,
Wow hit 2 million subscribers roughly 7 months after release, GW2 hit 3 million (sold) in about 4.

Ploid 3.0

Here is a rotation of exping I did, it's fast, and the mobs are spawnable. Depending on your speed you can do a circle and the force spawn will be ready a few seconds after you finish the loop. The problem is if a ton of people are passing as you pop it the mob is promoted to a champion and it would be a long fight. When this happened I just moved on.

http://youtu.be/L3jWHG4BoDg

I leveled my necro, mesmer, and ranger on this thing. Ranger went from level 10 or lower to level 80. Ranger is now my favorite class, I was a beastmaster in FFXI. I actually modeled that ranger off of a NPC in that zone. I thought it looked kina weird, ninja stuff with pigtails. Who would find that threatening, lollipop chainsaw-ish.

Throw on some XP boosters and the Living Story content there is now- the Crown Pavilion- is crazy good XP as well.

I can't imagine a better time to jump back in than this weekend actually. Something (big?) is coming Tuesday, and it's mostly a mystery.

I have 5 that I never used from my other characters. I'm going to give this a shot. I kept going back and forward between the pavilion and normal exp. In pavilion I started to raise everyone I can for that extra boost in exp.

Jira

I'm guessing sales for a new MMO, not an expansion.

And really "fastest selling" crown really means very little, especially for MMOs. Longevity matters a whole lot more.

It's the 3rd MMO in a decade to continue to grow post launch, it didn't fall flat on its face after the first month like every other MMO. It continues to gain more players as they've had to increase the server caps roughly 6 times since launch. They recently did this in June and servers have progressively filled up again and they'll have to do another server cap increase within a month or two.

Orayn

Nice! I was so worried that GW2 might be a flash in the pan before it launched, but over the past year it's become very clear that it'll be a thriving game for quite some time. Another component of an MMO landscape not entirely dominated by WoW!

Why would Ranger be you favorite class they are beyond terrible.

All the Rangers I meet in PvP seem capable of putting me in a perfect stunlock and instantly restoring themselves to full health...

Ploid 3.0

Ranger is a beast (ok that's a pun but it's a pun and the truth). I was a Beastmaster in ffxi, it was my favorite class.

Top Bottom