• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 Nabs ‘Fastest Selling Western MMO’ Crown, Looks East for More Records

hythloday

Already mentioned, but Cata's sales are not a good comparison since WoW had been out for years at that point. Brand new MMO is not the same thing as an expansion for an established game.

UnrealEck

Comparing it to an already established game's expansion might be stretching it but GW2 is also a sequel which has an established name and fanbase.
Just putting things into perspective when people are throwing around something that significant.
If for example Blizzard released Titan soon, it would no doubt be the fastest selling brand new MMO. A lack of subscription fee would also sweeten the deal and strengthen the prediction.

swnny

Given the fact, that since the early per-purchases early last year a lot of players had their $60 well worth it by now, yet ArenaNet keep releasing new content updates ever other week for free. I think gem sales and the profit from it is more important to them, then the box(digital) sales of the game.

Ploid 3.0

Of the 20 or so people I know who bought the game, not a single person was playing after a month.

I stopped after about a month +, came back for about a week randomly around halloween, forgot to check out the xmas stuff, but recently I came back to check things out and I've been logging in frequently. The beauty of not paying a sub is that I can hop in whenever I feel like it, I know my characters will be there, and I don't have a feeling that I better get my money's worth by forcing myself to play. It's very nice for me. I don't want to pay a subscription for tv, I think I'm done paying a subscription for mmo type games. I'm even reluctant to get PS+ since I can't even play all the games I own now.

Loxley

Already mentioned, but Cata's sales are not a good comparison since WoW had been out for years at that point. Brand new MMO is not the same thing as an expansion for an established game.

It speaks to how desperate some people are to have something to brag a out when it comes to a non-WoW MMO. People tend to conveniently forget that WoW is fucking nine years old, it's like bragging you beat a senior citizen in a fist fight.

KiteGr

Still playing!
Well deserved!

What keeps me playing is the often and gigantic patches.
What drives me away is their stubbornness on having 70% of their patched content being temporary...
...and the inability to sit on chairs...

akaoni

Banned
Of the 20 or so people I know who bought the game, not a single person was playing after a month.

The truetrue. I know 3 other people who bought the game, 2 didn't play beyond a week or two and 1 played for one session. I played a few hundred hours forever chasing something and it wasn't there.

All talk and no result, some good ideas, but of course there's bad ones like the combat system itself being so action orientated. Pvp players are probably close to extinction at this point. Questing was ballocks, same shit we always had except possibly more boring. Total grindfest where the slightest stat differences can turn you into a machine.

I get the feeling everyone is 'supposed to like this game', but I think the people who didn't just moved on so quickly it didn't bother them, the game has no subscription. I paid like £50 for the game which is quite high for a PC game, just to get early access and everything, but feel I got stung. I would love to see the sales of a major expansion because I don't think it would sell anywhere close to the original.

But yeah, dat hype and the manifesto bullshit sold most of those copies, I won't be fooled by Arenanet again.

bizatch

I can see why people are turned off by this game. Its hardly like WoW at all, or at least what I remember of WoW when I played it really hardcore a couple years ago . Id like to reflect the comments that this game is perfect for pick up and play, and Im glad Anet is keeping the updates coming. The living story is looking like its coming along really well, and this next update is supposed to really bring it to a head. In sum, this game has definitely given me the most value for my money that Ive ever gotten out of any video game. The biggest reason being simply that it's just fun to stay in its world.

Ploid 3.0

The thing about the living world stuff is that it really pays to be the early bird for it all. Prices are so high on items dropped from the new stuff, and the price steadily decrease because of the popularity of the content and the flood of the supply.

Retro

What drives me away is their stubbornness on having 70% of their patched content being temporary...

Their plan up to this latest update was to establish "a portfolio of recurring events" that they can build content around without having to build everything from scratch. For example, this October Halloween will be back, but a lot of the assets for that are already developed; they can add onto it (GW1 events were rarely the same, I don't expect GW2 to be much different) without having to do the whole thing over. That means time can be spent on other big things, like the first October update.

The Game Director has said "You will not see another new recurring style event in 2014 once our core portfolio of returning events have been completed with the Queens Gauntlet. You’ll already see the benefits of this as the return of Halloween, SAB, and Wintersday has given some of our teams time to focus on other bigger projects during that time."

So more permanent content should begin shortly... like next Tuesday, potentially.

...and the inability to sit on chairs...

I feel you on that one, they actually addressed this at one point. I think the reason had something to do with the 5 different races having different levels of interaction? I'm not sure, but I agree that it's kind of... odd.

Cels

Core gameplay systems are solid. Combat is fun, balance is heading in the right direction, and Arennet is adding content regularly. I've played nearly 1000 hours in the game so I definitely recommend you try the game out. There is a weekend trial coming up from Aug 23-25 as someone else pointed out, so give it a try.

That said, the game has a lot of minor little problems that individually aren't a big problem but it's kind of pathetic that they haven't been addressed in any way since most of these problems been in the game for almost a year now. Not anything that should stop you from playing the game, just some annoying things.

A few examples, no spoilers, just so you have to opt in to read this wall of text:
Dungeon hosting
The Dungeon "hosting" system is bar none the worst I've ever encountered in any MMO. If the person who first entered (i.e. hosted) the dungeon leaves your party, your whole party is kicked. Have no idea why they would implement it this way, except as an interim system that would be scrapped quickly in favor of a real system. Unfortunately, it's been this way for basically the entire life of the game. It's stupid and I don't understand why this isn't a priority for them to fix. I don't believe they have even said anything about this. We know a lot about what their plans are for the future (adding LFG system, balancing WvW/PvP achievements, revamping existing dungeons, adding new tier of profession and armor) but nary a word about dungeon hosting, which is puzzling. It almost makes me believe that this system is here to stay, permanently, but that can't really be the case, because the existing system is so bad.

Clipping
Guild Wars 2, if you haven't heard, doesn't have gear progression like a lot of other MMOs. There's no gear check to enter raid A, where you use drops from raid A to progress to raid B. You can do pretty much all dungeons in just basic quality gear. The "endgame" is focused mostly on looks. The most prestigious, difficult-to-get items - the legendary weapons, aren't any more powerful than the weapons you can get from running a dungeon a few times, but they look really cool. That's why having so many clipping problems in the game is particularly egregious - clipping in this game isn't really any worse than other MMOs, but when reward systems emphasize cosmetics then you should make at least some increased effort to alleviate clipping. Beards/hair/manes are often removed when you put on a helm, and god forbid you play the beast race (charr) because Arenanet artists apparently don't care that you have a tail or horns.

Trading Post
The Trading Post, which is the in-game auction house, lacks basic functionality like being able to filter by armor weight (light/medium/heavy) or even search for backpieces. Through a year in the game I've sold a lot and bought a lot of items and yet you can't search the items you bought or sold, instead you have to go page by page of items and look manually. Additionally, the game offers small and large interface sizes in addition to the normal size, but if you use either of them the Trading Post becomes incredibly blurry.

Top Bottom