• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 News And Information Thread [Large Beta Weekends In March/April]

On that note, I played the guardian at Gamescom last year. I used the Scepter and shield and was very effective at long range.

And that's the other thing that's great, not only is the holy trinity gone, but the whole melee/ranged class thing is mostly gone as well. You aren't flat out forced to choose melee or ranged based on class. You want to be a melee ranger despite the first thing you thing is ranged? No problem. Want to be a warrior that keeps their distance with bows? You can.

Sure classes may be better at melee or ranged depending on the class itself, but they are flat out useless one way of another.

Ashodin

And that's the other thing that's great, not only is the holy trinity gone, but the whole melee/ranged class thing is mostly gone as well. You aren't flat out forced to choose melee or ranged based on class. You want to be a melee ranger despite the first thing you thing is ranged? No problem. Want to be a warrior that keeps their distance with bows? You can.

Sure classes may be better at melee or ranged depending on the class itself, but they are flat out useless one way of another.

Answers the call of those rangers who want to melee alongside their pet. Brilliance

Grayman

I think the fact that it won't involve waiting around for classes, the idea of primary times online just seems kinda pointless. If the guild is large enough, people will be on all times and can always group up to do whatever :)

I need an MMO to play, I need this game now :(
When I played AC in a smaller guild we could solo most stuff in the game but we met up around certain times of the day for social purposes. For awhile we got into a routine of playing around 9pm pacific time because our buddy in Italy would wake up before work and play then. Works good if you have a smaller tight group.

Ferny

So the guild I'm gonna run for GW2 is gonna be probably mostly online at about:

10 or 11 PM EST to 4 or 5 AM EST.

That's 3 AM GMT or whatever.

I've already got a kickass name for the Guild and what designs it will have and everything.

Rest assured, it would be so awesome.

I really love the fact that you don't NEED specific classes to tank and heal, so everyone online will be able to group in the guild regardless of what classes are on.

If your planning to do a separate GAF based guild, I don't see much need in creating a specific time based guild. You can always just have people come on at that certain time. Segmenting in a GAF guild usually ends up in quicker death. If it's a totally separate thing then cool. We had to separate in SWTOR mostly because of the difference in factions, locations, but GW2 won't have those differences.

Ashodin

If your planning to do a separate GAF based guild, I don't see much need in creating a specific time based guild. You can always just have people come on at that certain time. Segmenting in a GAF guild usually ends up in quicker death. If it's a totally separate thing then cool. We had to separate in SWTOR mostly because of the difference in factions, locations, but GW2 won't have those differences.

Since you can pretty much be in a ton of Guilds I don't see the harm in it, fragmenting won't be very widespread.

It's more like a member of a certain group within GAF, than its own thing.

I'd like to group together players that play around a certain time, is all.

Grayman

has there been any word on how the theifs steal ability works in structured and WvWvW pvp?

WvWvW sounds interesting where they are talking about small groups or solo things to do. Maybe it will give some of the open world feeling.

Jira

has there been any word on how the theifs steal ability works in structured and WvWvW pvp?

WvWvW sounds interesting where they are talking about small groups or solo things to do. Maybe it will give some of the open world feeling.

When a Thief steals from a player they get an item off of a loot table, whether it's always the same item for a given profession is unknown.

"Hey, Jon Peters here with an update on one of my favorite professions, the elusive thief. OK, we didn’t really turn the thief upside down – it just made for a good title and image – but we have made refinements to the profession recently, such as improving Steal and Backstab.

The ability to steal from opponents and use the stolen items as weaponry is a core part of thief gameplay, but we knew we could refine and improve on what we originally had created. Our initial design for stealing was that the function of the F1 key would turn into the item you stole so you could use it later. In that version, hitting the key would put the item into your hands and give you a variety of skills. We were worried that this would be hard to understand, so we went with the version that we have recently shown, where the stolen item automatically became a weapon in your hands. Initially, we did have each stolen weapon provide more than one skill, but as we played with it, we realized that throwing multiple new skills at a player in the middle of a combat situation was overwhelming, so we eventually reduced the number of skills for each stolen item to a single powerful one.

We still really loved the idea of the Steal skill replacing the F1 skill (we called it “pocket stealing”), and with every stolen item now giving only one skill, it seemed like something we wanted to try again. At first, we decided to hack a version of it in as a potential trait. But as it turned out, everyone wanted the trait, and it was clear to us that the way Steal works needed to change yet again. So now, stealing always pockets the item, allowing you to use your regular skills until you decide to press F1 to pull the stolen item out, use it, and return to your regular skills. Steal does not start its recharge timer until you use the stolen item. All of this makes stealing a more natural part of moment-to-moment combat for the thief. So a thief may now steal a handful of feathers from a moa, store it for later use, continue using their regular skills, and at just the right time, use the feathers to blind the moa—or a new target—and stealth the thief.

As some may have noticed in the G-Star demo, Backstab is no longer on the normal dagger skill bar. It now falls into a new category, which we like to call “stealth skills.” The first skill for every weapon now has a skill that replaces it while the thief is in stealth. For example, the first dagger skill becomes Backstab, which does increased damage when used from behind the target. The first pistol skill becomes Sneak Attack, which is a rapid-fire attack that causes bleeding. Because the first weapon skills are free to use, this creates a clearer moment of opportunity without limiting their use due to a lack of initiative. It also helps to differentiate the effectiveness of stealth on thief versus stealth on other professions."

So a thief may now steal a handful of feathers from a moa, store it for later use, continue using their regular skills, and at just the right time, use the feathers to blind the moa—or a new target—and stealth the thief.

Sounds good to me. Like the fact that you steal different things with different uses depending on the mob.

etiolate

Banned
Here's a random and perhaps old question: Has it been confirmed that the game will not have click-to-move? Not even allow you to change it to that in options?

Jira

Here's a random and perhaps old question: Has it been confirmed that the game will not have click-to-move? Not even allow you to change it to that in options?

They took click to move out since the combat/gameplay really doesn't lend itself to pathing.

Here's what the Guild Wars 2 wiki has for controls.
The control & movement system is going to be significantly changed. In particular, mouse movement in the form "click to move" will be removed from the game; however, target locking will still function. Control of combat will be more active; including blocking skills that are "held down", ground-targeting for spells and attacks, and hit detection that allows one player to block area-based damage from reaching other players. Guild Wars 2 will be a true 3D environment which will allow characters to jump over obstacles as well as swim and dive underwater. New animation coding will allow separate tracks for upper and lower body components, allowing players to activate more skills while running or jumping for smoother combat immersion.

Flight will not be a featured character capability in Guild Wars 2

http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/character_tool/

An alternate character creation tool from the same site as the skill build tool.

14518551.jpg

Ooops, didn't notice. That's a lot better than the one I posted.

Dash27

Not sure if it was mentioned already. Ignore if old:
Character creation tool
Skills Tool

So with that skills tool, if you take for instance the Ranger:

http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool...73;3214e9832040a82a802341616&switch=2b630ad31

When I mouse over that second ability "Long Range Shot" it has {39} on the top left and 10 with a curved arrow next to it on the top right, then Damage: 196 at the bottom. The damage is obvious, the 39 is what, level? and I assume the 10 is the ability cooldown on it. Is there any cast time component I am missing?

I'm trying to determine how the classes play, if you can move and shoot or are required to stay still and cast.

Ryan_

Anyone has any idea of the owners of Guild Wars 1 might have a bigger chance to get in the beta in February/March?

This really is my most anticipated game in 2012.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Anyone has any idea of the owners of Guild Wars 1 might have a bigger chance to get in the beta in February/March?

This really is my most anticipated game in 2012.

I don't think any of us know anything about the beta aside from what has already been posted here. I don't personally think owners of the first game will get any special treatment with the beta though.

Ashodin

Yeah considering how different the game is from GW1, there are probably equal GW1 lovers and GW2 newbies who both want to play their game.

Midou

This is one of the few active communities I know, do you guys know if hall of monuments stuff counts across all characters? Like I have a Dervish I plan to beat at least 2 of the campaigns with, if I make a Ritualist for Factions and get elite Luxon armor and beat Factions with him, would all my accomplishments combine from both characters?

ShaneB

Yeah considering how different the game is from GW1, there are probably equal GW1 lovers and GW2 newbies who both want to play their game.

The smart business decision is to let as many people get into the beta as possible. MMOs are about a wide appeal, so it shouldn't just be limited to GW1 vets or anything like that, whoever wants in, should and likely will have a chance to play.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
The smart business decision is to let as many people get into the beta as possible. MMOs are about a wide appeal, so it shouldn't just be limited to GW1 vets or anything like that, whoever wants in, should and likely will have a chance to play.

Not true. The people that want to get into the beta will be either extreme hardcore Guild Wars people or people on the fence about Guild Wars 2. This means that Guild Wars 2 will give them a chance to show that it is a very fun and enjoyable MMO experience compared to other recently announced MMOs. The mass populace will buy it regardless of persuasion whether it's by the word of mouth or reviews.

TheYanger

Not true. The people that want to get into the beta will be either extreme hardcore Guild Wars people or people on the fence about Guild Wars 2. This means that Guild Wars 2 will give them a chance to show that it is a very fun and enjoyable MMO experience compared to other recently announced MMOs. The mass populace will buy it regardless of persuasion whether it's by the word of mouth or reviews.

What you said has nothing to do with what he said -_-

Large scale betas should let in everyone they can, if the game is good that's what generates buzz. This has been shown again and again. There's no harm with doing it as an MMO since once the game goes live these people are paying for your product anyway.

kayos90

What you said has nothing to do with what he said -_-

Large scale betas should let in everyone they can, if the game is good that's what generates buzz. This has been shown again and again. There's no harm with doing it as an MMO since once the game goes live these people are paying for your product anyway.

This game has been generating a lot of buzz for years. There's nothing really in the rulebook about how large scale betas should let everyone in as well. If the game is good, it'll generate buzz by itself.

Proven

If they're going to do beta events for stress testing and publicity more than bugs and balance testing, then having it open for just a weekend at a time will shore up the most buzz. It'll be a scarce event, they can hold 1-3 of them, and since it won't last long people will set aside schedules to get their fill and record as much as possible. Then again, this is the internet, so but that's usually the way to get people talking about your stuff the most.

My only issue now is that only certain classes can use certain weapons, like how only the Engineer and Warrior can use the 2h-Rifle. But I also want to Greatsword Mesmer so bad...

This is one of the few active communities I know, do you guys know if hall of monuments stuff counts across all characters? Like I have a Dervish I plan to beat at least 2 of the campaigns with, if I make a Ritualist for Factions and get elite Luxon armor and beat Factions with him, would all my accomplishments combine from both characters?

Yes, Hall of Monuments is account based. If anything is dedicated, it will be present for all characters.

However, titles like legendary guardian, Vanquisher, cartographer, and skill hunter must be on one character, as the titles are received for completing those things on one character.

Jira

http://www.arena.net/blog/the-savage-pride-of-the-jotun

The jotun (pronounced JŌ-tun) are the last remnants of an ancient society of giants. Once powerful, advanced, and arrogant, they proclaimed themselves rulers of the Shiverpeak Mountains and raised great monuments to themselves on the highest peaks. Their leaders, known as giant-kings, were tremendously powerful beings, as skilled in feats of strength as they were in magic and lore.

And yet, as the jotun defeated all who threatened their control over the mountains, they did not adjust to peace. Convinced that they were the superior race, they became obsessed with the purity of their blood and the number of heroes, warlords, and giant-kings in each lineage. Blood became a reason for taking one mate over another, seizing land, and in time, wiping out other “lesser” tribes. Eventually, the jotun conquered or destroyed all their external enemies, and then the giant-kings turned on each other, each seeking ultimate control. Families waged war upon one another, and brother made war on brother, until the tribes erupted in vicious internal wars for control.

“I will show you the jotun of ages past, when we strode across the Shiverpeaks as mighty lords. Witness the savagery, greed, and vanity that ended our glorious rule…”

—Thruln, the last of the giant-kings

Long ago, the jotun possessed the ability to use magic and were skilled enough with it to create enchanted monuments in the Shiverpeak Mountains. Some historians believe that the age of jotun magic may even pre-date the coming of the human gods and the creation of the Bloodstones. Yet, during their long history of infighting, civil war, and slaughter, the jotun lost all knowledge and understanding of magic. Their powerful sages were killed, and their lore-keepers and mystics were wiped out before they could continue the tradition of jotun magic. All that remains of their once-great arcane spirituality are a few carved runes on forgotten, snow-covered peaks.

JotunB-600x377.jpg

Recent History

“See this stone, and behold the power that will one day conquer the world.”

—Written on a jotun monument

Over the centuries of their existence, the jotun have fallen far from their state of grace, losing command of technology and magic they once utilized, and remembering their place as kings of the land only in legend and story. While jotun leaders struggle to reclaim ancient glories and grasp lost power for themselves, most scholars believe that the glory days of the ancient giant-kings are lost forever.

The jotun have lost many of the things that once made them great. Their lore is scattered, and much of it lost; any religion, higher learning, or secrets of invention that they once mastered have been eradicated, and only the remnants of their once-great society remain. Like the massive stone monuments their people once raised that can still be found in the Shiverpeaks, the jotun have lost their purpose…and their meaning.

Now savage, vicious creatures, the jotun fall upon any traveler they see. Occasionally pacified by tribute and flattery, they may choose to let non-jotun pass with a threat or a beating. However, when two clans of jotun come upon one another, they are satisfied with nothing less than the complete eradication of the other.

Jotun1-600x535.jpg

Jotun organize themselves into large tribes, related by blood or union, led by the strongest. This strength may come from arms, or magic, or any other ability—but it is always shown through physicality and brute force. The jotun do not respect a leader that is not physically able to enforce his laws and rulings. They would kill and replace anyone who lost their strength, failed, or did not lead the tribe to glory. A charr soldier may make a calculated decision to kill a failed leader in order to ensure victory for the warband. A jotun is more like a rabid beast, reflexively tearing one of their own to pieces at the first sign of weakness—no matter the long-term cost for the clan.

Jotun tend to segregate themselves by sex: males are more aggressive and take leadership roles, while females are relegated to childrearing. Males gather in small groups of blood-relations and constantly seek to eliminate any other jotun they discover in their clan’s territory. At its heart, the jotun’s internal warfare is intended to eliminate all those jotun not blood-related to a single clan. Because of this, it is critical for jotun to protect their females and children. A traveler will never see those in open territory, as the family unit is always well-hidden from the world while the males hunt and bring back food for all.

While many of the more “barbaric” races of Tyria have a sense of honor or a code of ethics, the jotun have very few moral restrictions inherent in their society. They protect and defend their family, their clan, and their territory through whatever means necessary. A jotun will break his word, lie under oath, or act reprehensibly if he feels it will empower him or strengthen his clan (or destroy another). Individuals who have attempted to make peace with jotun tribes in the past have learned, much to their sorrow, that jotun only stick to such treaties as long as they clearly benefit from them. It is far more likely that a jotun clan bound by treaty is only biding their time or building their strength, planning soon to eradicate those foolish enough to trust them.
Religion

“Who do I worship? Ha! Myself!”

—Utahein, jotun chieftain

The closest thing that the jotun have to “religion” is their firm, avowed belief that their blood is magical—that it is powerful, and akin to the divine. Each clan of jotun reveres their ancestors and can trace their lineage back to some powerful giant-king of lore. Many of the tales of these giant-kings have taken on the feel and tenor of religious myths, and each clan calls to their legendary blood to empower them, see them through trials, and ensure them victory. While it cannot be said the jotun “worship” their ancestors, they certainly attempt to emulate them through conquest, single-minded self-absorption, and personal pride.
Behind the Scenes

Even though we had established the jotun in the original games, we wanted to really bring them to life in Guild Wars 2, particularly for the norn areas of the world. We wanted them to be more than “nasty customers with big clubs,” and the way we chose to do that was to give them a long history—but a tragic one. We wanted to make the ogres an old race and follow that with the jotun, since the two species are interlinked. Giving the jotun a history that had been lost—ruined by their own flaws—gives them a lot of depth and plays into the overall story of Guild Wars 2.

The new jotun art depicts the race as being taller and more intelligent looking than the art from the original Guild Wars, which helps to better illustrate the race’s history and the fact that they are sentient, smart creatures—not rock-tossing droolers. The primitivism we see in their clothing and weapons is a sharp contrast to the magical monuments located at their camps—and that, too, is deliberate. Showing the decline of a race from power and civilization into primitivism, all because they could not stop fighting amongst themselves, is important to the game’s theme. It illustrates what might happen if the player character races can’t give up their old arguments and unite against the threat of the Elder Dragons.

Jotun3-494x600.jpg

Alchemy

Not the closed beta, that would be duuuuuuumb. You can't give away your game for free. Thats why open betas are used as short term near launch demos that are open for everyone. Closed beta isn't about selling your game, its about making it.

kayos90

Not the closed beta, that would be duuuuuuumb. You can't give away your game for free. Thats why open betas are used as short term near launch demos that are open for everyone. Closed beta isn't about selling your game, its about making it.

This isn't even a mass open beta. It's a limited Open Beta. The term "Open" that Anet is using is that the general public can play it.

Alchemy

This isn't even a mass open beta. It's a limited Open Beta. The term "Open" that Anet is using is that the general public can play it.

So it isn't an open beta, its a closed beta. Companies allow the general public into closed beta tests all the time, they're just invite only.

I don't think any of us know anything about the beta aside from what has already been posted here. I don't personally think owners of the first game will get any special treatment with the beta though.

Since they're beta weekend events, instead of full-on unlimited access betas, I doubt it will be that hard to get in. It'll probably be similar to the BWEs for the original GW where you had to get a pre-order to get in.

Jira

What they're going to do with beta is just like what they did for GW1 and how some other MMOs have handled their betas closer to launch as well. There will likely be drawings at fansites for keys and the ability to preorder and get in for every beta weekend. I remember Aion allowed you to get into their beta weekends by preordering among other MMOs.

Grayman

When a Thief steals from a player they get an item off of a loot table, whether it's always the same item for a given profession is unknown.

"Hey, Jon Peters here with an update on one of my favorite professions, the elusive thief. OK, we didn’t really turn the thief upside down – it just made for a good title and image – but we have made refinements to the profession recently, such as improving Steal and Backstab.

The ability to steal from opponents and use the stolen items as weaponry is a core part of thief gameplay, but we knew we could refine and improve on what we originally had created. Our initial design for stealing was that the function of the F1 key would turn into the item you stole so you could use it later. In that version, hitting the key would put the item into your hands and give you a variety of skills. We were worried that this would be hard to understand, so we went with the version that we have recently shown, where the stolen item automatically became a weapon in your hands. Initially, we did have each stolen weapon provide more than one skill, but as we played with it, we realized that throwing multiple new skills at a player in the middle of a combat situation was overwhelming, so we eventually reduced the number of skills for each stolen item to a single powerful one.

We still really loved the idea of the Steal skill replacing the F1 skill (we called it “pocket stealing”), and with every stolen item now giving only one skill, it seemed like something we wanted to try again. At first, we decided to hack a version of it in as a potential trait. But as it turned out, everyone wanted the trait, and it was clear to us that the way Steal works needed to change yet again. So now, stealing always pockets the item, allowing you to use your regular skills until you decide to press F1 to pull the stolen item out, use it, and return to your regular skills. Steal does not start its recharge timer until you use the stolen item. All of this makes stealing a more natural part of moment-to-moment combat for the thief. So a thief may now steal a handful of feathers from a moa, store it for later use, continue using their regular skills, and at just the right time, use the feathers to blind the moa—or a new target—and stealth the thief.

As some may have noticed in the G-Star demo, Backstab is no longer on the normal dagger skill bar. It now falls into a new category, which we like to call “stealth skills.” The first skill for every weapon now has a skill that replaces it while the thief is in stealth. For example, the first dagger skill becomes Backstab, which does increased damage when used from behind the target. The first pistol skill becomes Sneak Attack, which is a rapid-fire attack that causes bleeding. Because the first weapon skills are free to use, this creates a clearer moment of opportunity without limiting their use due to a lack of initiative. It also helps to differentiate the effectiveness of stealth on thief versus stealth on other professions."
Sounds like a fun class to play and it may involve saving a special skill for some battles.

Arken2121

Cannot wait for the press to release mass amounts of information on top of Anet's reveals. Granted we know a lot about the game, maybe someone will find little tidbits of new information.

desverger

I suppose everything under this category http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Category:Character_titles is NOT shared within a single account. Which means if you're shooting for protector titles you should do those with a single character.

Niter

o man I feel like this game will release around the same time with Diablo 3. It's going to ruin my GPA! I must resist!

Top Bottom