• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gunman kills twelve at theater in Aurora Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dont' change the subject
6 year old kids don't belong at a midnight showing for a movie that is inappropriate for them to be watching. Be a good parent. Get a damn babysitter

The subject? The subject is a dozen people dead! That's the subject. Create a thread concerning who or who shouldn't go to a movie theatre, please.

P.S. It's not an R-Rated movie! It's BATMAN!

marrec

Banned
Dont' change the subject
6 year old kids don't belong at a midnight showing for a movie that is inappropriate for them to be watching. Be a good parent. Get a damn babysitter

I can't believe there are people saying it's perfectly fine for a 6 year old to be at a midnight Batman showing.

:lol

A shame what happened to her though. :(

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Firefighters at suspect's apartment breaking through windows right now, with hooks.

I really don't want to see a boom.

Please no boom.

bro1

Banned
WB has smartly pulled the Gangster Squad trailer attached, featuring this scene:

Gangster_Squad_-_Movie_Theatre_Shoot_Out.jpg

oh god, I forgot about that scene. Wow.

Home grown terriosism is very scary. It's easy to blame it on the "other" but when it's the people in your own country doing this it takes it to another level.

I remember when I was working at an AT&T store at the mall on 9/11. We were all scared that the terrorists would target shopping areas and such right afterwards.

Jenov

Ugh, how disgusting and maddening at the same time. Assuming that this was just another psycho and not some convoluted terror plot, mental health services need to be improved drastically for college and high school in this country. There's too many of these 20-something young adults falling through the cracks and accomplishing these psychotic fueled plots.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Firefighters are taking photos.

Wait, looks like cops under the firefighters jackets.

harmonize

It's not about fear, it's about empathy. Not that everyone needs to feel the same, but don't act like people who have no interest in seeing a movie for a while are being dictated by fear.
The person I had originally quoted (or more aptly put, the person he was quoting) more or less implied that he wasn't going to see the movie out of irrational fear; I was speaking directly to him and others that felt like him. I wasn't speaking for everybody; I'm sorry if my post came off that way.

Pimpwerx

I'm a little scared because I have to work the next three nights. We usually always have a cop that stays until the last movie is over but I wonder if they will increase security for this weekend even in another state, I'm in Texas. I know my theater has a rule, no kids under six after six but it's only for rated R movies. I really don't know what to say other than I fell terrible for the victims and their families.

Dude...seriously? C'mon, son. It's like after 9/11, were you scared to fly? Immediately following a tragedy is probably one of the safest times to re-engage in that activity. The odds of another theater shooting in the next 3 days are slim to none. Besides, it would make more sense shooting in the theater than in the lobby, since there are more people there. So unless your cinema stations ushers in the theater for the full duration of the movie, you're gonna be one of the safest people at the cinema. PEACE.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
People were wondering about the chemical exposure hospitalizations earlier and my speculation about it would be that most of them are probably not having any more severe a reaction than is usual to tear gas, but with an incident like this (and huge news coverage) the authorities want every victim evaluated to avoid the possibility of a severe reaction.

SonnyBoy

Yes and they were taken to the hospital. Lucky the child is okay

Thanks.

As the father of a 4 month old baby girl, I can't comprehend having my daughter out at that time of night for entertainment purposes...

As far as the 6 year old, I think that'd be a potentially awesome treat for a 6 year old kid. They get to go to a premier, stay up past their bed time and see Batman! #shrug

Volimar

Yep, the parents of the 6 year old and the parents of the baby are two examples of how to be very bad parents.

That's it though, they're just bad parents. My sympathies still go out to the parents of the 6 year old who died, a terrible tragedy.

Wow, what bullshit. I've taken my kid to the drive in since he was 3 and it often doesn't let out till 1:30 or 2 am. They have double features there just for kids that don't let out till that late, and they have PG-13 movies that don't let out until that late. Loads of families do this. It's not bad parenting at all. I can't believe you people, you need to get off your judgmental high horses. Talking about hearing loss... Kids hear louder bangs than that at the fourth of July. Christ.

I can't believe there are people saying it's perfectly fine for a 6 year old to be at a midnight Batman showing.

:lol

A shame what happened to her though. :(

Yeah, laugh and then make a sad face. You have the power to create a new thread concerning who or who shouldn't attend the screening. Shitting this thread isn't helping anyone.

What's next? Kids will stop playing Call of Duty? Have you ever watched a movie as a kid or played a game as a kid or listened to an explicit lyrical song as a kid? Good god. Different topic, different thread. It is bad parenting and we all know it but the kid is dead and there is nothing that can be done about it.

Suddenly everyone is diverting from the situation and becoming the best parents of the decade.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Seems this guy had quite the plan.

Even without the booby trapped apartment, there is no way you have a shootout like this during the Batman opening without planning it for a while. He knew what he was doing, he knew what the outcome would be. I doubt he cares if he was caught or killed. He's probably not going to be forthcoming with information.

MechaX

So, with all of this discussion about the parenting capabilities of people who brought children to the theater, I'm just really curious on something about this discussion.

What exactly is the point in this line of discussion? Are people just bringing up dubious parenting choices just for the sake of identifying up dubious parenting choices, or are they insinuating that the parents have some fault and role in the injuries and deaths of children due to the acts of a gunman (which no person could have reasonably expected)?

marrec

Banned
Yeah, laugh and then make a sad face. You have the power to create a new thread concerning who or who shouldn't attend the screening. Shitting this thread isn't helping anyone.

What's next? Kids will stop playing Call of Duty? Have you ever watched a movie as a kid or played a game as a kid or listened to an explicit lyrical song as a kid? Good god. Different topic, different thread.

Suddenly everyone is diverting from the situation and becoming the best parents of the decade.

I'm trying to keep it on topic, I just wanted to comment on the people who think it's okay. Perhaps discussion one way or another should not take place. Whether you think it's okay or not, lets keep this about the overall tragedy and not specific parenting details.

So, with all of this discussion about the parenting capabilities of people who brought children to the theater, I'm just really curious on something about this discussion.

What exactly is the point in this line of discussion? Are people just bringing up dubious parenting choices just for the sake of identifying up dubious parenting choices, or are they insinuating that the parents have some fault and role in the injuries and deaths of children due to the acts of a gunman (which no person could have reasonably expected)?

If you read my posts you would see that it is clearly the former

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Thanks.

As the father of a 4 month old baby girl, I can't comprehend having my daughter out at that time of night for entertainment purposes...

As far as the 6 year old, I think that'd be a potentially awesome treat for a 6 year old kid. They get to go to a premier, stay up past their bed time and see Batman! #shrug

This is pretty on the ball for this whole parent argument. A 6yo is at the parents discretion. An infant child at a midnight movie is completely inappropriate and selfish on the parent's part.

But this thread isn't really for discussing that. This is an incredible tragedy.

Shit, that's really close to where I live, are there names of the dead and injured? I'm just reading this now but fuck I know people that were going to see it last night, I just don't know where.

Jenov

Dont' change the subject

These type of posts are completely stupid, inappropriate, and add absolutely nothing to the discussion but a warped sense of victim blaming.

Uchip

Banned
Ugh, how disgusting and maddening at the same time. Assuming that this was just another psycho and not some convoluted terror plot, mental health services need to be improved drastically for college and high school in this country. There's too many of these 20-something young adults falling through the cracks and accomplishing these psychotic fueled plots.

It doesn't help that guns are so easily obtained
but good luck changing that in the states

Even without the booby trapped apartment, there is no way you have a shootout like this during the Batman opening without planning it for a while. He knew what he was doing, he knew what the outcome would be. I doubt he cares if he was caught or killed. He's probably not going to be forthcoming with information.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was forthcoming. This seems like it could be the work of someone who wants the attention and platform this act provides.

ChiTownBuffalo

OK, pulling cops away from apartment window.

No one dead. Whew.

FBI removed some papers from the dumpster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom