• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gunman kills twelve at theater in Aurora Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the odds that this guy is former military who was deployed to either iraq or afghanistan?

I don't see that association at all.

The vets that come back and kill people are usually murdering in crimes of passion involving family members. This shooting is obviously random. One of those "I need attention" stunts becoming increasingly common.

I saw on the news, that theater already had people lining up for tonight's batman showings. I wonder after the investigation is completed, if the theater will reuse the same auditorium where it happened ? Talk about freaky.

Earendil

I don't even know what to say about this. I was handling it relatively ok until I heard about the little girl. Now I'm trying to hold back tears (which isn't working really well). My deepest sympathies go out to everyone affected by this. I go to Aurora from time to time for a construction project and never would have thought something like this would happen there.

At least this fucker didn't kill himself like most mass shooters, he'll rot in jail.

Colorado has the death penalty, but IMO that's too good for him.

lenovox1

What the hell is a 3 month old doing there?

Did no on else own a gun to shoot back? There was a shooting here in Canada and I remember reading american comments about how we should be able to own a gun to defend ourselves.

Not trying to start anything at all, but lately Ive been conscious about American culture being so gun violent. We had shootings here in Canada for three straight days and it's a pretty big deal for us, yet our problems are almost nothing in some American cultures.

It's pretty sad to think we would need metal detectors or increased security just to see a movie, yet I know now many people would feel safer this way in the wake of these events.

As has been mentioned many times (this thread is very fast moving, so I don't blame you for not noticing), it was dark and there was tear gas involved. Even if someone was carrying, they wouldn't have been able to a thing.

From all accounts, all the victims involved did the right things during the shooting.

F#A#Oo

Banned
It's events like this that should wake up America to start looking into gun laws...

Sad how these events will continue to happen because it's so easy to get hold of firearms...

Hes not crazy, hes just pathetic. Hes telling them about they boobytrap cause he thinks that would you do now. Its what happens on TV/Film; you don't get that same reaction in those things after something has happened.

Hes showing off. Hes not mad; truly mad people are scared, I feel for them. Scared people never show off.

No. Calling him mad is just a way to help 'deal' with the facts that someone could do this.
Evil is the right word; pathetically selfish evil thing.

I saw on the news, that theater already had people lining up for tonight's batman showings. I wonder after the investigation is completed, if the theater will reuse the same auditorium where it happened ? Talk about freaky.

I'd be surprised if they open the theater at all...are people just lining up in the hopes that they do, or as a show of solidarity or something? It's a major crime scene.

ABC World News @ABCWorldNe… 5m

ABC News can confirm James Holmes was a student at the University of Colorado Denver Medical Campus. He withdrew in June.

Godslay

Banned
Since someone asked...

It's understandable to have a 6 year old at the movie theater, during summer for a cool treat.

However, I child that is only a few months old is a different story. They cry often, can be easily disturbed, they feed often. You and your child would be a huge hindrance to others experience. I think it's selfish to take a child that young to a movie theater.

If I can't find a sitter for my baby girl (4 months), I don't go to the movies. That simple.

I took my 6 year old daughter to The Avengers, early this summer. While she liked it, parts of it were scary for her. I couldn't imagine taking her to the DK, simply because it is considerably more realistically violent. I can completely understand taking your 6 year old to a movie like this because it is Batman. The main issue I would have with it that it's no longer cartoony violence. Each to his own, and I'm not one to tell other parents how to do their job.

BHZ Mayor

So, with all of this discussion about the parenting capabilities of people who brought children to the theater, I'm just really curious on something about this discussion.

What exactly is the point in this line of discussion? Are people just bringing up dubious parenting choices just for the sake of identifying up dubious parenting choices, or are they insinuating that the parents have some fault and role in the injuries and deaths of children due to the acts of a gunman (which no person could have reasonably expected)?

The point is some people feel the need to bring some point, any point, of contention into the thread, otherwise it would just be a thread of everyone agreeing on how fucked up this situation is, and we can't have that because threads where everyone is in agreement are bad and just "circle jerks."

There was a shooting at the Eaton's center here in Canada. One of the person's that was at the Eaton's shooting was at the theater in Colarado. She was fatally shot.

marrec

Banned
It's summer. It's Batman. A bad parent would be someone that willingly takes their 6 year old to a theater they know is going to get shot up. A bad parent isn't someone that takes their 6 year old to a theater to watch Batman. Are parents that take their kids to New Years Eve parties where the kids in the basement are watching Batman moves also awful parents? Just shut up. For god's sake, shut the hell up. It's a shame that senseless tragedies lead to people saying such stupid shit.

What a terrible situation.

For all those wanting to talk about this subject I can start a thread tomorrow. Today shouldn't be about that. Again, my post was commenting on those who seemed to think it was okay. There is 0 amount of victim blaming in what I said. I'd love to actually talk about the real issues with taking children to see a movie like this but it shouldn't be in this thread or today.

Dont' change the subject
6 year old kids don't belong at a midnight showing for a movie that is inappropriate for them to be watching. Be a good parent. Get a damn babysitter

Perfectly appropriate for a child to view the film if their parents deem it suitable, that's what PG-13 means.

And midnight is a time like any other, maybe the kid was excited and the parents decided to do it as a treat.

If the shooters purpose was to simply grab the world's attention, it's so frustrating the he's getting exactly what he wants.

I just want to be perfectly clear, I'm not suggesting for a second that the event should not be receiving all the attention that it is. It obviously should but the fact that sick twisted psychopaths can effectively get exactly what they are looking for by senselessly destroying so many lives is infuriating.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
So maybe he was a med student who couldn't cut it, dropped out and went nuts. Smart enough to plan this and set up elaborate traps.

Speculation obviously, just a possibility.

ezrarh

This is horrible. Unfortunately there's not much you can do against random killings like this when guys like him have access to said weapons. I'm pretty much resigned to something like this happening every couple years sadly.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I have been following this since last night

Fell asleep for a few hours but the images and reading of the twitter account and the 6 year old, made me wake up hella quick =/

They say the shooter came from the fire exit, how is this possible?

I mean most of the times, when the public finishes watching a movie, the ushers do a very good job of staying at those exits and closing them up, so no one can sneak in
Hell cameras are placed everywhere on the backside and security for the theater always looks out for those that want to get in for free to see a showing + security reasons

I know my movie theaters that I regularly visit have these huge bulky iron doors
You would really need to fucking tamper with them to even get a shot of coming in
I know for a fact, once you close those doors, if someone tries to enter from outside in, alarm trips
Used to be loud as fuck, maybe they made them silent

I commend the police getting there ASAP, that was crazy fast, usually damage done =/, hopefully they played a part from this going even more vulgar

It's still a tragedy

Just freaking me out how the dude got access so easily

I know security will be tight like no tomorrow from here on @ the movies

TheNatural

My Member!
Just checked, Colorado has the death penalty. Hope this guy fries. So many lives ruined and ended at what was supposed to be a happy moment, what a scumbag piece of shit.

For all those wanting to talk about this subject I can start a thread tomorrow. Today shouldn't be about that. Again, my post was commenting on those who seemed to think it was okay. There is 0 amount of victim blaming in what I said. I'd love to actually talk about the real issues with taking children to see a movie like this but it shouldn't be in this thread or today.

Oh definitely. The issue is not just with movies, but every other medium in general. Theatres should have a strict policy in terms of selling tickets just like gaming industry does. With that said, it's a matter that needs addressing on its own (in its entirety) and I'm sure everyone will agree with the fact that what parents should do or not do. If a kid wants something and everyone knows that it won't harm him or scar him, that is a different scenario on it's own.

JeTmAn81

They just wanted to watch Batman. They just wanted to watch Batman...for some reason that makes me extra sad about this. Taking the lives of people involved in such a simple pursuit of joy and entertainment.

Gaborn

It's events like this that should wake up America to start looking into gun laws...

Sad how these events will continue to happen because it's so easy to get hold of firearms...

Nope. Gun law wasn't the problem here. I doubt they got most of them legally, the tear gas should be a clue to that. I think that requires VERY special permits usually.

Igo

Please shut the fuck up.

Any discussion criticizing parents over this should be auto perma ban.
Get the fuck out of here with this. What sense does it make to ban someone over something as trivial as that. No one is saying that these parents deserved to lose their children over it.

We can discuss more than one thing at once, people. Telling people to shut up and calling for bans is ridiculous.

That said, I don't think there's anything wrong with kids at a midnight showing, as long as they keep their mouths shut, of course. Babies on the other hand... Where the fuck is your consideration for the other moviegoers.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
0OSAG.png

Wow...

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
It is by definition, but the point of that statement is to say that this is not an act of "terrorism" as the US often knows it, i.e. Islamic radicals.

The Oklahoma City bombing was considered an act of terrorism and no muslims were involved. I would think the traditional definition would be acts of violence to promote an agenda, a KKK murder would certainly qualify as terrorism in my opinion. Its unknown if this person had any sort of agenda or mandate that motivated him, if he was tied to any sort of organization.

Plasmid

They say the shooter came from the fire exit, how is this possible?

Opened it, he did this DURING the film, not after as was reported this morning, it's assumed (again assumed because we have no 100% information) that he or someone opened the door (someone said that the guy who opened it was on his phone and walking out to answer a call) and then geared up, threw the gas, and started shooting.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Listen, people keep talking about Colorado's Death Penalty.

Colorado has executed 1 person since 1977.

I just don't see that this guy gets a quick execution.

parasight

Wow, death was really out to get Jessica Redfield.

A terrible tragedy. I hope all victims involved recover from their physical and mental trauma.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom