• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gunman kills twelve at theater in Aurora Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Since that came from the commissioner maybe he has already talked to some insiders at the local department to prevent copycat or similar crimes.

Stating what the individual looked like and called himself would be doing the opposite...guy needs to not release information pertaining to a case that has nothing to do with his state.

If anything it could create hysteria among movie goers, do I think it will no but you never know.

Volimar

tRpIS.png

So this is most likely legit.

Well that answers one question. God I had hoped it wouldn't be a blame the movie kind of thing. Dammit.

More about our new late friend Jessica. Actually not much that we didn't already know but I thought you might want to see it:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/20/us/colorado-shooting-victims/index.html?on.cnn=1

Xdrive05

He obviously missed the point of TDK if he really thinks the Joker was someone to emulate.

Or maybe he wanted to kill people anyway and he's using the Joker a scapegoat for dodging personal responsibility?

News Bot

Banned
I really wish there was a way we could have a complete blackout about the suspect. The media coverage is all kinds of hero worship for some segment of lunatics.

Would people do shit like this if their name and face was never revealed to the public?

Stuff like this would still happen. But it would be much less likely, since the kind of people that commit these acts tend to be of very similar cloth and will usually react to or be inspired by the actions of similar bastards they see on the media. Copy-cat behavior is common among them. The media generally glorifies it, and it's a sure-fire way for a twisted dickbag to get a few days of infamy.

CBS coverage going on a tirade about how much of a genius the guy is and giving a complete rundown of his academic history. Fuck sake.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Since the guy dressed up like the joker the movie blaming is going to hit full force soon. Actually no way to stop it now.

He addresses himself as the joker, dies his hair red. Perfect media fodder

Meadows

Banned
oooh, now the Telegraph has huge pictures of him on the first TWO slideshow pictures on their homepage. I've tweeted them to advise them against this, also removed screencap from my post and advised those that quoted me to do so too.

BBC keeping it classy at least. *edit: oh wait, no they're not

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Gunman's father on his way to Denver.

inky

He obviously missed the point of TDK if he really thinks the Joker was someone to emulate.

Or maybe he wanted to kill people anyway and he's using the Joker a scapegoat for dodging personal responsibility?

I don't think you would really need to ask any of these questions. He's mentally ill.

Since the guy dressed up like the joker the movie blaming is going to hit full force soon. Actually no way to stop it now.

He addresses himself as the joker, dies his hair red. Perfect media fodder

It had already started.

Someone was on CNN this morning, around 9AM, saying how video games and movies might have led to the guy to go on a rampage.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Since the guy dressed up like the joker the movie blaming is going to hit full force soon.

I was attempted mugged while I was joking by a dumb kid who dressed as the Joker for the Dark Knight midnight showing.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
i live right by this theater and was planning to go to see this at 12:10. I had my fandango up and ready to go, only 6.50 for the ticket! I needed to watch Dark knight before and i knew i was cutting it close with time so i decided to just go to the theater after the dark knight ended. Well, The movie ended at 12:20 and I decided to not go to the theater because I didnt want to miss anything. If the dark knight movie ended before 12:10, i would have gone and could have been killed or hurt.

My heart goes out to families of those who were hurt or killed...
I got lucky.....

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

I know a few people, before and after TDK, who seem to idolize the Joker to a worrisome extent. One guy in particular who wears Joker makeup at the slightest excuse, has huge posters of him hanging on his wall, and views himself as a similar figure of "chaotic sociopathy" or whatever.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
It had already started.

Someone was on CNN this morning, around 9AM, saying how video games and movies might have led to the guy to go on a rampage.

People have been saying this for decades now. Won't change anything.

FStop7

Banned
Jesus Christ, ABC...

ABC website said:
For continuing coverage on "Tragedy in Colorado: The Batman Massacre," tune in to "World News," "20/20" and "Nightline."

You people are absolute ghouls.

bro1

Banned
I wouldn't get yourself up in arms about the media blaming this on the media. Every year we have a tragedy, people point fingers, say we need to change, and every year nothing does.

Columbine; No more violent video games because they played Doom! Anything change?

Virgnina Tech: He played Quake. Anything change?

in a country with 400 million people, I'm kinda shocked this doesn't happen more often. People are awful

volturnus

Banned
Fucking hell....
As soon as I read about this I looked for gun laws in Colorado, and it seems it's as gun-friendly as it can get, with open carry without permit and all that. It was plain bad luck that no-one there had a weapon to kill the guy :/

ChiTownBuffalo

Bombs might not be a powerful as perviously though, given how close the media is allowed to be.

Jesus Christ, ABC...

You people are absolute ghouls.

They'll be right once this is confirmed he was in a joker outfit.

Hate to be type that says, "I told you so", but Im surprised more people didn't consider it as soon as he gave up willingly and threatened that he had explosives.

noire

Unconfirmed Member
??

What's going on ? Do we know more details about the killer ?

The search began about 2 a.m. A resident of the building who didn't want to give his name said he answered his door to see police with assault rifles. An officer asked if he had seen a white guy with crazy hair, possibly dyed unnatural colors, the man said. It was unclear if the officer was referring to the suspect.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingn...tment-suspected-gunman-deadly-aurora-shooting

and

tRpIS.png

Meadows

Banned
Fox News' international site keeping it classy. A large pic of the killer next to grieving families. That's a more responsible way to do it. Shame on big media generally though.

ChiTownBuffalo

Fucking hell....
As soon as I read about this I looked for gun laws in Colorado, and it seems it's as gun-friendly as it can get, with open carry without permit and all that. It was plain bad luck that no-one there had a weapon to kill the guy :/

Dude, just because there are liberal gun laws, doesn't mean the residents are all Yosemite Sam.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Office Oates was the name of the fake officer that called in from Stern.

Daniel J. Oates is the 10th Chief of Police for the City of Aurora, Colorado. He was appointed Chief on November 28, 2005. The Aurora Police Department currently has 658 police officers and 783 total employees and an operating budget of $87 million. It provides comprehensive police services to a diverse city of 335,000 residents and 160 square miles. In his first five years in office, Chief Oates has overseen a 30-percent reduction in major index crime in Aurora.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Oates

i live right by this theater and was planning to go to see this at 12:10. I had my fandango up and ready to go, only 6.50 for the ticket! I needed to watch Dark knight before and i knew i was cutting it close with time so i decided to just go to the theater after the dark knight ended. Well, The movie ended at 12:20 and I decided to not go to the theater because I didnt want to miss anything. If the dark knight movie ended before 12:10, i would have gone and could have been killed or hurt.

My heart goes out to families of those who were hurt or killed...
I got lucky.....
Absolutely insane. Glad you're okay, man.

Reven

I know it's not really important but Fox News is reporting that both presidential campaigns are immediately stopping all campaign commercials in Colorado for the time being.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Fox News' international site keeping it classy. A large pic of the killer next to grieving families. That's a more responsible way to do it. Shame on big media generally though.

How is that classy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom