• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gunman kills twelve at theater in Aurora Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had I been in that theater and had my gun on me. I would have bugged out. No way am I risking harming other people in a crowded theater trying to kill this guy.

There was armed security in the building. The tear gas and huge number of people prevent aggressive armed response.

You are right, that'd have been worse.

Allowing yourself time to deal with empathy is not giving into a murderer's demands. What a terrible thing to implicate someone of. It's not about fear for everyone.

Not talking about empathy, that's a given. What I mean is fearing to go to the theaters yourself or worrying about a shooting as you sit there because of a guy like this who likely enjoys seeing people fear him.

Kinyou

Just woke up and this was the first thing I saw in my browser W.T.F!

Somehow, I knew the bastard was going to have a proud and smug expression in his mugshot just like Loughner in the 2011 Tucson shooting.

I kinda wonder if his thought process was Batman related or if he just thought "Big movie = lots of people"
I don't think that his mugshot, is it?

I never thought about it that way. So true.

This is somewhat in line with what was said in the link above. I hate when companies do this. Change up plans when something bad happens. Fuck the killer. Don't make what he did have affect on how you run your business. Do things as planned.

This goes for everyday lives also.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
2KhOE.png

I wont believe this until I hear this from somewhere else.

Edit: Wait thats from the commissioner? If so...

WTF? What are you talking about?

You said we NEED to make mental health checkups a priority to get entrance into a school. Another poster said BS as do I. Why stop at schools? Why not any and every public place? Really your proposal is rediculous. You didn't flesh out the details but one can imagine...fail to submit to exam, no school. Disagree with diagnosis/refuse meds, no school. Even then "sane" people commit crimes/murder and "disabled/ill" people have clean records. Not to mention Psychs are idiots who exam you for a good minute before coming to a diagnosis...not scientific whatsoever.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
2KhOE.png

Edit: Wait thats from the commissioner...

Yeah it seems fairly reliable. The guy (Tony Aiello) is a reporter at WCBS-TV. So his ass is on the line if it does not check out.

Kinyou

This is somewhat in line with what was said in the link above. I hate when companies do this. Change up plans when something bad happens. Fuck the killer. Don't make what he did have affect on how you run your business. Do things as planned.

I don't mind if they pull the trailer. I think that's respectful. It would bother me if they recut the film.

Huh? it's bad taste marketing that so recently. They also pulled WTC shots from Spiderman after 9/11 since it was in the teaser.

So soon after a tragedy nobody wants to be constantly reminded of it in media (a form of escapism)

Wthermans

Banned
I'm interested to see if capital punishment will be utilized. It's legal in Colorado, but hasn't been used since 1997.

Yeah. Curious to this as well. He was arrested in the parking lot. I cant believe he didnt kill himself or shoot out with the cops.

THis is so fucked up

Whole thing reminds me of the Breivik shootings (albeit on a much smaller scale).

I said this hours ago in this thread.

It looks like the guy was somewhat reenacting what the Joker did in TDK.

Joker gets himself captured and sends cops out to a booby-trapped building.

Not talking about empathy, that's a given. What I mean is fearing to go to the theaters yourself or worrying about a shooting as you sit there because of a guy like this who likely enjoys seeing people fear him.

It's possible to not want to go to a movie theater after reading and hearing a dozen first hand accounts of people dying in them, not because you're afraid of the same thing happening, but because it is massively tragic.

Your post didn't seem to be allowing for that possibility.

My mother woke me up at 4 in the morning to see if I was OK. Followed by my sister 2 hours later. I had to remind them both I live in Colorado springs.

I'm surprised how much the story has changed. While the situation is still absolutely fucking horrible, when my mom first called she told me the dead where in the 30s and the shooter was in a batman costume and more.

noire

Unconfirmed Member
2KhOE.png

Edit: Wait thats from the commissioner? If so...

Matches up with something else I read earlier (on denver post, I believe) where they asked another tenant in the apartment if they had seen a white male with crazy brightly-colored hair.

Reven

Since that came from the commissioner maybe he has already talked to some insiders at the local department to prevent copycat or similar crimes.

That is probably what happened. In situations like this a lot of communication will happen between PD's all across the country.

TheContact

He doesn't deserve to live that long. He needs to die as soon as possible.

No. Death is an easy escape. People just want blood for blood, but the pain of living in shitty conditions is way more comforting to me than him getting an easy way out.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Breifing has been pushed back to 1130 MST

Reven

No. Death is an easy escape. People just want blood for blood, but the pain of living in shitty conditions is way more comforting to me than him getting an easy way out.

True, but its also a drain on our society to keep people on death row for 20 or more years.

Xdrive05

I really wish there was a way we could have a complete blackout about the suspect. The media coverage is all kinds of hero worship for some segment of lunatics.

Would people do shit like this if their name and face was never revealed to the public?

noire

Unconfirmed Member
I said this hours ago in this thread.

It looks like the guy was somewhat reenacting what the Joker did in TDK.

Joker gets himself captured and sends cops out to a booby-trapped building.

yep. As soon as I heard about the shooting I expected that it was joker-influenced. Especially when he went to the cops willingly.

Very surprised he warned them about the explosives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom