• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gunman kills twelve at theater in Aurora Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordAlu

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Exactly. It's time we get rid of the stigma. Mental illnesses are LEGITIMATE DISEASES like any other, and it's time we start treating them as such.
Yeah a lot of people seem to think mental illnesses are fairy dust. They are real and they are serious and they can ruin lives.

Mariolee

Whoa, so apparently a close friend of mine had her aunt and cousin shot at the theater, and they are now going through surgery. If you're a praying man/woman, please pray for them. :(

Joates

Banned
To those wondering about the emergency exit. In my experience they are never alarmed so people can use them to directly exit the theater and avoid the lobby.

But arent there reports that he "kicked in" the door? Dont all emergency exit doors swing outward? Did somebody let him in?

Meadows

Banned
Ah, I see the Telegraph are ignoring every piece of expert Psychological guidance about what to show in a news article after a shooting.

*removed because some people are fucking idiots*

Dickheads

Please, let's make another thread to debate gun laws, politics, and whatever else that isn't related to:

a) Victims/Survivors
b) The murderer
c) Aurora, CO
d) the ongoing situation

To those wondering about the emergency exit. In my experience they are never alarmed so people can use them to directly exit the theater and avoid the lobby.

I worked at a theater in high school. The doors were not alarmed, because of that very reason. People use every exit when a movie ends. We also used those doors to sneak our friends in. Anyone that thinks this guy got into a theater by some horrendous breach of security hasn't worked at a theater. They're just doors with no handles on the outside. Nothing more.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Whoa, so apparently a close friend of mine had her aunt and cousin shot at the theater, and they are now going through surgery. If you're a praying man/woman, please pray for them. :(
I'll keep them in my thoughts and prayers.

Reven

But arent there reports that he "kicked in" the door? Dont all emergency exit doors swing outward? Did somebody let him in?

From what I have seen he was in the movie then left through the exit and propped the door open and came back.

This is stupid. And what if someone has mental issues? Lock them up? Make them feel worse than they already might feel because of their condition? Preemptively keep them under watch? I get this is a tragedy, but this kind of response and generalization is ridiculous.

Seconded. You responded better than I would have. Dude wants to screen mental health for everything it seems like, why stop at school? You now need to be in good mental health to go to the mall, a park, a movie or anywhere there are people...stupid!

JaseMath

From K-USA 9News live interview...

Reports indicate that the "extensive and sophisticated" booby traps are several 1-litre sized bottles of liquid connected by wires and "other devices" in the front room. Currently planned to be inspected by a robot in short order.

Pastry

Banned
I worked at a theater in high school. The doors were not alarmed, because of that very reason. People use every exit when a movie ends. We also used those doors to sneak our friends in. Anyone that thinks this guy got into a theater by some horrendous breach of security hasn't worked at a theater. They're just doors with no handles on the outside. Nothing more.

I used to park behind the theater so I could just exit and be right at my car, I figured it was pretty common.

Fantomex

i dont understand the 24 hour news coverage that CNN is doing. this is awful news and i barely want to read an article on it, so why in the world do they think i want to wallow in it all day?

Because our society is based on money for the most part now. This is the first thing people want to hear about when they are told of the news. Tragedies are the biggest peaks in revenue for news organizations sadly.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
They have said if what he had was tear gas or just smoke. Either way it would be possible for an armed citizen to take him down. Tear gas doesn't act fast enough for it to immediately affect people.

More likely captain do gooder gets shot or shoots someone else. The tear gas would still affect visibility, not to mention you are talking about a dark movie theater with images on the screen, loud noises, panic among the other civilians. A good recipe for a stupid death.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Seconded. You responded better than I would have. Dude wants to screen mental health for everything it seems like, why stop at school? You now need to be in good mental health to go to the mall, a park, a movie or anywhere there are people...stupid!
WTF? What are you talking about?

I asked because Im more curious as to why this is even allowed-- the basic function of sneaking ur friend in should be issue enough to stop something like this from happening. But u can only put the fault on something so much, nobody would ever suspect such a travesty, but you'd at least think these doors would be regulated somehow. Why use an emergency exit to leave? Exit like everybody else

Mariolee

Because our society is based on money for the most part now. This is the first thing people want to hear about when they are told of the news. Tragedies are the biggest peaks in revenue for news organizations sadly.

Capitalizing on other people's tragedies. The world is a very fucked up place. :(

Sorry to hear it.

Ugh, awful news. I'll be praying for them, man. :(

I'll keep them in my thoughts and prayers.

Thanks guys, I'll pass on the prayers to my friend.

I asked because Im more curious as to why this is even allowed-- the basic function of sneaking ur friend in should be issue enough to stop something like this from happening. But u can only put the fault on something so much, nobody would ever suspect such a travesty, but you'd at least think these doors would be regulated somehow. Why use an emergency exit to leave? Exit like everybody else

Some of them set off alarms, I don't know how common that is though, people are just used to leaving from those doors

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Deputy Aurora Fire Chief:

Several liter bottle filled with an unknown liquid, all connected by tripwires to a detonator.

Cops are clearing out he buildings in a final sweep.

mr. puppy

Banned
can we make a thread where mthanded just posts all the stupid shit he wants to say in this thread so that we don't have to read it?

TS-08

More likely captain do gooder gets shot or shoots someone else. The tear gas would still affect visibility, not to mention you are talking about a dark movie theater with images on the screen, loud noises, panic among the other civilians. A good recipe for a stupid death.

This is a better articulation of my point. Confusion was extremely high when the shooting started. One witness thought it was some stunt or prank in connection with the movie at first.

tdrdrgn

cmon guys it was probably planned. you think he just went up to a random cinema and started shooting? he probably went through that backdoor entrance several times to check and make sure there was no alarm.

Hoping the best for them. I still haven't heard back from a friend of mine and it's been an hour and a half since I tried. He would be working but the guy's a mailman he usually responds fast.

EYEL1NER

cmon guys it was probably planned. you think he just went up to a random cinema and started shooting? he probably went through that backdoor entrance several times to check and make sure there was no alarm.
Um, no. No one thinks it was random because all of the evidence points to it being planned.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
don't put the killer's face as the main feature of a newspaper or website. Doing so glorifies them and encourages copycats who want a blast of fame in their sad, pathetic little lives.
this thread and all its rhetoric is as guilty as anywhere else in canonizing the shooter as some social nemesis worthy of a nolan film.

This is a better articulation of my point. Confusion was extremely high when the shooting started. One witness thought it was some stunt or prank in connection with the movie at first.

I'm the type of person that imagines a shooting happening when I sit at a theater. It's just the way my mind works, I dont know why. I'd have immediately dropped to the floor, not for a second would I have thought it was a stunt. It just goes to show how sad the situation is: just human beings going out for a good time, expecting absolutely nothing but entertainment, and they get met with this

Where I worked, we (the ushers) regulated the doors. That's how we controlled our friends getting in. If this theater was as big as ours and as full as I believe it would be on Batman premiere night, the ushers have much more to do than guard a door.

pax217

If he went to the trouble of planning to "boobytrap" his apartment as the reports say, he probably planned the rest of the attack, yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom