• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVN Winter Brawl 6 | Fighting game tournament | 2012 February 18-19

I've never played this game, only watched it on live streams and such, but didn't JWong do exactly what everyone was bitching about and lame his way to the finish there?

Nice comeback, and levels or irony

No but I can see why you might think that. He was playing safe. You don't rush in on doom's footdive with that much on the line. It would be foolish to do so. The DISGUSTING mixups and tricks justin had up his sleeve forgive any kind of lame akuma play at the end there. Justin is a rush down monster in marvel. No irony here, friend.

Stream monsters are relentless

roNbx.png

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
LOL @ people complaining about Chris G using the lame stuff. He was rushing people down with the same team. It's super effective at doing BOTH.

Deps

It's called runaway. Have you not heard of Marvel 2? When that came out there was runaway that put you in infinite blockstrings, and shit that made Morrigan runaway look like trash. But thankfully Capcom didn't listen to scrubs who were crying for nerfs. In the end the game ended up crazy aggressive and all of the runaway that no one could beat was figured out.

Did Justin win both Marvel and AE?

Yep

ChrisG's main problem isn't his team, it's himself. He takes losses too seriously and it ends up wrecking him in the end. He's a damn good player, but he needs to not wear his emotions on his sleeves.

Yea i agree with this.

Justin even praised the guy as being a really smart player and had to pull all of his tricks to win.

Chris just needs to calm himself

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
It's called runaway. Have you not heard of Marvel 2? When that came out there was runaway that put you in infinite blockstrings, and shit that made Morrigan runaway look like trash. But thankfully Capcom didn't listen to scrubs who were crying for nerfs. In the end the game ended up crazy aggressive and all of the runaway that no one could beat was figured out.

Clearly Cable was the best character in MvC2. He had good zoning.

Duxxy3

Bubububu if they zone me I cant do stupid rushdown!

To be fair the best way to kill that zone team was with an extreme rush down team and kill morrigan in the first 15 seconds. If she gets out even one mirror that match shifts into the zone players favor pretty heavily.

Frantic

I'm salty as hell right after this good set just because of Wong/Matrix calling for Morrigan nerfs. Geez.
B-B-B-BUT IT'S SO BROKEN!!

If she loses that, that would nerf her a tier or two. Plus, it's not like everyone can run Morrigan and win. Rapid fire Soul Fists is hard to do just on an executional level. Setting it up is even harder, because if you're facing a fast, rushdown heavy character at the start(aka, Wolverine), you don't really have time and space to start throwing them out. The fact ChrisG was able to set it up as much as he did is a testament to his skill.

Basically, people need to get off their asses and learn instead of crying for nerfs. Morrigan isn't even half as broken as some of the other shit in this game.

I generally dislike watching people being lame in SF4 because that game is fairly slow already, but zoning heavy teams like Chris G's and Dieminion's are fun to watch in UMVC3 because of how rushdown heavy the game tends to be.

Also, 2nd place = fraud now?

wingz

The guy has got skills, but how many time was he predicted victories in major before? It always ended with him being mindfuck or collapsing (missing top 8 even) . Instead of working on his mental flaws, he try to win with a lame team and he:

a) get exposed still
b) his mental breakdown come back to bite him in the ass

This is what happen when you try to take a shortcut. :p

So playing with a viable team and a viable strategy makes you fraud and counts as taking a shortcut?? That's news to me. Attitudes like this hurt the FGC.

I do agree that Chris G can do better and cannot let the pressure get to him. It's all a learning process.

Chris is dealing with a lot more exposure, which I think is the issue.

The stream going in relentlessly and fans and all taht jazz probably put a different spin on things than when Justin was learning to play.

Storm, Ammy, Strange and Wesker (to an extent) all have ways of getting around bullet-hell. I'm sure there are others too, but people are too busy shouting for Morrigan nerfs to notice.

Azure J

All you have to do is like, halve the amount of meter she builds during that super.

I feel bad that I'm even agreeing with this, but whatever shuts up the whiny "how does I blocked/countered" fireballs brigade while allowing the character to stay relevant at this point.

What's going to happen when people find real threatening technology with Firebrand's speed up mode then? Or the other power up modes that don't persist on tag out but build meter? This stuff sets a precedent that hinders the creativity in the cast mechanics and brings anywhere from a "don't know if want" level patch to things (see Sentinel's health) or a full out character destruction (Tron and to a lesser extent, She Hulk) because a loud minority cries out to Capcom about how OP it is instead of learning the game. Hilariously enough, this is in a game where the previous (and actually valid) unchecked terror Phoenix moved to irrelevance not because of whatever nerfs she got, but because of those nerfs and a full on engine change that would have kept her in check anyways.

TL;DR - I hope people start realizing that this can be dealt with and the hate train "Flavor of The Month" doesn't dictate what goes up on the chopping block since I can't trust Capcom to not fuck over the cast.

Lulubop

Its been a while since I caught a tournament on stream. Good shit!

Whats the next East Coast event that is happening here? Maybe I can participate this time than watching.

Final Round is in two weeks and is in ATL, so most top East Coast players will be there. Final Round is also one of the biggest events of the year, so expect to see some West Coast players too.

Winter Brawl was a really great major.

seriously morrigan can have the meter building but luminous body and denjin can eat a dick.

If they can build meter then devil trigger, berserker charge vale of mist should be able to build at 1/3 rate and rimouken at full.

Phantom dance should also reduce meter build to 1/3 normal. fucking shitty powerup hyper with no time limit.

Sougenmu can eat a fucking dick for all time though. goddamn seiei enbu in marvel.

Trey

ChrisG getting his lame on was good. It allowed Justin to come up with an answer. This shit writes itself.

Really wish ChrisG would have gotten his "real" team going. Outside of Morrigan, ChrisG was average with that team. It was front loaded because he wasn't a serious threat with Doom or
Akuma.

wingz

If she loses that, that would nerf her a tier or two. Plus, it's not like everyone can run Morrigan and win. Rapid fire Soul Fists is hard to do just on an executional level. Setting it up is even harder, because if you're facing a fast, rushdown heavy character at the start(aka, Wolverine), you don't really have time and space to start throwing them out. The fact ChrisG was able to set it up as much as he did is a testament to his skill.

Basically, people need to get off their asses and learn instead of crying for nerfs. Morrigan isn't even half as broken as some of the other shit in this game.

Quoted for the Truth!

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Man...fuck that noise. Let her keep meter gain. I'll be sad if they nerf her. Besides...

X Factor is what puts the team over the top.

Preeeeeeeeeach.

Real talk though, Top 16 was full of bad play. Dropped combos that cost people big time matches. Justin Wong should have been in Losers and many others dropped combos that should have killed their opponents. A ton of dropped combos in the Grand Finals too. Players should take a look at this and hit the lab hardcore for future tournies.

Reflecting back, this too.

That MastaCJ thing happened here too :lol Winter Brawl was great to watch/follow.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Real talk though, Top 16 was full of bad play. Dropped combos that cost people big time matches. Justin Wong should have been in Losers and many others dropped combos that should have killed their opponents. A ton of dropped combos in the Grand Finals too. Players should take a look at this and hit the lab hardcore for future tournies.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Storm, Ammy, Strange and Wesker (to an extent) all have ways of getting around bullet-hell. I'm sure there are others too, but people are too busy shouting for Morrigan nerfs to notice.
Gimlet shuts down a lot of her movement imo.

Astral Vision has a lot of startup and recovery, so anybody that can hit her from fullscreen reasonably quickly can punish.

Yeah, he bodied the entire rest of the tournament with that team, I don't know why he would feel the need to drop it because of one bad matchup.

He was very close to being sent to losers by Chuck. Having Iron Fist in your team is asking for trouble, I bet sooner or later J Wong will lose a tourney due to a good Zero player if he sticks to Iron Fist.

Also, I challenge someone to name a player who can do soul fist spamming on the level Chris G does. Even Dimenion doesn't understand how Chris G can spam so many soul fists.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
TL;DR - I hope people start realizing that this can be dealt with and the hate train "Flavor of The Month" doesn't dictate what goes up on the chopping block since I can't trust Capcom to not fuck over the cast.
Well, Capcom is going to make bad decisions half the time anyway. They have their pet characters that they want to be good, and that takes precedence over balance in some instances.

Owensboro

I completely respect ChrisG's lame stuff. But I'm almost always gonna root for the guy trying to get past it.

Yup. As someone who has no skill playing this game but understands how it all works and loves to watch matches, watching ChrisG is just fucking painful to do. I realize how he plays that team takes a ridiculous amount of skill to do and that I could never hope to execute half the amazing keepaway he does, but it's the most booring thing to watch in the world, kills all the hype from the previous matches, and makes me feel like I've wasted my time watching the stream.

I equate it to watching "defensive struggles" in actual sports. No one really likes to watch a field goal fest in American Football, or a midfield struggle in Soccer. As spectators we want fireworks, momentum shifts, amazing scores, and crazy comebacks. We don't want to watch a team slowly bleed to death.

real talk, the felicia and skrull play was the highlight of the finals for me.
Yeah, that was some seriously fun play to watch. I love when characters I haven't seen played particularly well are used to rip people apart.

Top Bottom