• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 Interview With Footage, Probably No Beta [Up: Official Making Of Video]

If anything like jetpack is in for the love of god let me change the sensitivity on the y-axis or make it faster.

I would say a good way to handle it would make it harder for jetpackers to aim accurately while making those using the jetpack more vulnerable and easier to head shot. I still don't think Jetpacks have to break Halo, but maybe I am delusional.

Satchel

Banned
I might have been right about the thrusters being permanent judging by that pic.

But hopefully it behaves like thrusters and not a Jetpack. Short bursts that allow an evade or double jump. No prolonged flying.

I might have been right about the thrusters being permanent judging by that pic.

But hopefully it behaves like thrusters and not a Jetpack. Short bursts that allow an evade or double jump. No prolonged flying.

Exactly what I was thinking. I definitely don't want everyone flying around all the time, but a nice little thrust with a similar recharge time could be awesome.

brightened the image so we can see better

http://i.imgur.com/YtwR8.jpg[IMG]

[/QUOTE]What is that icon on the top left? I can't really tell what it is since I'm on my phone, but from here it looks like a jetpack.

[quote]I wonder what that solid bar under the BR icon is? Some kind of recharge time? New representation of ammo?[/quote]

Well according to other images, that's just the ammo counter. There are actually individual bullet icons, but since the pic is kinda blurry, it appears as if it's just a solid bar.

Havok

I would say a good way to handle it would make it harder for jetpackers to aim accurately while making those using the jetpack more vulnerable and easier to head shot. I still don't think Jetpacks have to break Halo, but maybe I am delusional.
They don't have to break it if the implementation is up to par. What annoys people about the jetpack's current incarnation in Reach is that the user isn't all that vulnerable since they have the full offensive capabilities that they would normally. Remove the ability to fire and throw grenades while thrusting and you cut down a significant amount of the annoyance because it becomes an ability modifying only mobility, which people are generally okay with.

JaggedSac

Looks like it says Grenadier to me as well up in the top right.

What is that icon on the top left? I can't really tell what it is since I'm on my phone, but from here it looks like a jetpack.

Could be. Looks like a usage bar below it and maybe a different grenade type below that as well.

i found this interesting from the destructoid article:

"The visuals have been bumped up too and mark Halo 4 as the first true high-definition Halo game, coming in at 30 frames per second".

Orayn

Active reload, bro.

FIRST CoD's UNLOCKS, NOW GEARS' RELOAD! HAVE YOU NO SHAME, 343?!
Yes, I am joking.

What is that icon on the top left? I can't really tell what it is since I'm on my phone, but from here it looks like a jetpack.

Yeah, it definitely looks like a jetpack or set of thrusters to me as well. The placement kind of makes me wonder if it's assigned to the left trigger... Would that be blasphemous?

Well according to other images, that's just the ammo counter. There are actually individual bullet icons, but since the pic is kinda blurry, it appears as if it's just a solid bar.

Ah, makes sense.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
It makes anything dual wieldable worthless as a single wield weapon, perhaps. However, that was the point of dual wielding, it really allowed many combinations of weapons, and it was a tradeoff because once you threw a grenade you dropped one of your dual wield weapons.

Personally I had the most fun with Halo 2's multiplayer, and now that I think back about it, it was the whole package that made it such an amazing game for me, including dual wielding.

Essentially what happened with dual wielding weapons was that you were creating combined weapons that played differently together. An SMG plus a plasma rifle (my favorite combination) was completely different than two SMGs, which was different from a plasma pistol plus a plasma rifle, etc. The biggest misstep was the needler, which should never have been dual wieldable.

Everyone started with a weak weapon, the SMG, but that could be quickly "upgraded" to dual wielding by finding another SMG or preferably something more potent.

The return of the AR in Halo 3 meant it became the default starting weapon often, and dual wielding become obsolete. I think this made Halo 3 less fun from gunplay perspective than Halo 2.

Dual wielding makes the game more complex, and more dense. Removing dual wielding would simplify the gameplay, but it's one of the things that makes Halo unique. I think that Reach was worse off without it.

And that is a VERY big problem in 2 and above. It ruins big maps, it ruins even moderate level players. Having a gun that's inherently weaker to balance out holding two of them is a terrible idea.

BR/DMR starts are the only thing that makes sense. It's strong enough to not gimp you, but not good enough to deter you from picking up power weapons.

Havok

And that is a VERY big problem in 2 and above. It ruins big maps, it ruins even moderate level players. Having a gun that's inherently weaker to balance out holding two of them is a terrible idea.
That's not the fault of the weapon, that's the fault of bad playlist management not giving BR starts on large maps. It's not like AR starts in Halo 3 and Reach are any better, it's always shitty spawning with a crappy weapon and having to search for something to be dangerous. The SMG was a great secondary weapon, useful in its niche with the ability to be boosted by a second dual pickup to increase the size of that niche. The whole idea of dual wielding was marred by bad playlist management, but I wouldn't condemn the entire mechanic because of it.

Looks really great. I think the new team is going to really up the bar on Halo. Looks like Microsoft is putting some major $$$ behind, which is a first this generation in comparison to what Sony has done on several. Not to say they haven't put money behind games, but this one has a really large team. Bigger than any other first party Xbox 360 game that I'm aware of.

GhaleonEB

I pray the BR isn't the random inconsistent piece of shit it was in 2 and 3.

DMR is a much better gun. It has rules and they require following.

Who knows how the fuck the BR was set up.

Sometime people would die with one trigger press, other time a whole clip. No system to it at all. Unless of course I was repeatedly exposed to hackers in both games.

The DMR also had a huge detrimental effect on combat by pushing engagement distances out significantly. The design of the BR prevents the kind of long range sniping that the DMR enables. Maps like Hemorrhage illustrate this problem, where huge swaths of territory become off limits because you get pinged from all areas of the map at once. (The 3x scope adds to this problem.)

The BR was quite predictable within its intended usage range. When it was too far to engage properly with it, that's your cue to close the distance.

The return of the BR and burst spread fire is the best news to come out of today, IMO. Well that alongside the lack of player inertia and the return of actual strafing.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
That's not the fault of the weapon, that's the fault of bad playlist management not giving BR starts on large maps. It's not like AR starts in Halo 3 and Reach are any better, it's always shitty spawning with a crappy weapon and having to search for something to be dangerous. The SMG was a great secondary weapon, useful in its niche with the ability to be boosted by a second dual pickup to increase the size of that niche. The whole idea of dual wielding was marred by bad playlist management, but I wouldn't condemn the entire mechanic because of it.

But why have a weapon that is spray and pray, only works up close, and have to sacrifice melee and grenades to use when you have DMRs and BRs that work up close and far away, and don't gimp your melees and grenades?

Even the AR is better than dual wielding since the AR can be used at range semi-effectively, but it's still useless if there are DMR/BRs on the map.

Balance means giving everyone something balanced. Helping the winning team snowball their victory by having people who've just spawned spawn with nothing isn't very fun for anyone. Winning teams already have the advantage of being able to get to power weapons easier, having to worry about getting a BR and then worry about getting power weapons is dumb.

Havok

But why have a weapon that is spray and pray, only works up close, and have to sacrifice melee and grenades to use when you have DMRs and BRs that work up close and far away, and don't gimp your melees and grenades?

Even the AR is better than dual wielding since the AR can be used at range semi-effectively, but it's still useless if there are DMR/BRs on the map.

Balance means giving everyone something balanced. Helping the winning team snowball their victory by having people who've just spawned spawn with nothing isn't very fun for anyone. Winning teams already have the advantage of being able to get to power weapons easier, having to worry about getting a BR and then worry about getting power weapons is dumb.
To your last point, I don't think that only giving players automatic weapon on spawn is a good thing in the first place, so you would never have to worry about trying to find a BR on spawn in my ideal Halo game.

As for the AR being semi-effective at range (in a lot of cases overly effective), I don't think that's necessarily a positive thing. I like my weapons to be range restricted - a single SMG was crappy at midrange unless you A) found another one, B) pulsed the shots and took your time, or C) both. You sacrifice melee (but not really) and grenades in the last two scenarios, and that's fine because you end up with faster kill times in a larger effective radius around you. I like the idea that you can increase the effective range of a weapon by using it skillfully, which is how I excuse the very utilitarian nature of the DMR and BR. They're much harder to use in close range situations, but people who are able to do it effectively can do so because they're good at the game, not because they luck into it.

I don't even know that I want dual wielding to return, I was primarily just making the distinction between bad playlist management (that resulted in SMG and AR starts on large maps instead of BR starts) and bad mechanics. That half-weapon problem that people latch onto was a nonissue in BR start games (and made for some very great uses of dual combos, such as base defense), and is only really remembered because of how bad SMG starts were. Thing is, AR starts have the same issue (less so in Reach with the inclusion of a pistol that is worth a damn) but you aren't able to increase that weapon's effectiveness as drastically.

Did Microsoft learn absolutely nothing when they did not have a public beta for Halo 2? That game was possibly one of the buggiest multiplayer experiences in the history of Xbox. Now we are going to have to wait for an update 6 months after the release.

And chasing the COD model of multiplayer is a huge fucking mistake. Halo fans do not want something similar to COD, we play the game because its unique to itself. What a sad day.

JdFoX187

Banned
Did Microsoft learn absolutely nothing when they did not have a public beta for Halo 2? That game was possibly one of the buggiest multiplayer experiences in the history of Xbox. Now we are going to have to wait for an update 6 months after the release.

Yet the two games with the public betas were nowhere near as fun as Halo 2. Besides, this isn't being developed in nine months like Halo 2 was.

Loadouts: Check
Sprint: Check
Perks: Check

If you didnt know what thread you were reading what game would you think I was talking about. Get that perk shit out of my Halo. People play Halo for skill, you can jump right in and most of the time not have to deal with some perked up asshole who isnt much better than you but has the time to play all day and night. This is why I dont play COD.

I know are saying wait until we read about the perks but you all know there is no way to do perks well. Crysis 2 might have had legs if it wasnt COD future.

Bombadil

Banned

And chasing the COD model of multiplayer is a huge fucking mistake. Halo fans do not want something similar to COD, we play the game because its unique to itself. What a sad day.

No beta? This is disappointing.

fnmore1

It will be interesting to see how this plays out-

8DK9y.png

There seems to be some sort of truth to armor abilities, or armor being more than cosmetic going by this shot.

I think there will be "equipment" like in Halo 3. If you look at the bit where the player is sprinting there's no notification that he actually HAS sprint. So, either:

A. There's a gametype that enables armor abilities
B. You can pick up equipment as well as use standard sprint along side.

Interesting.

Loadouts: Check
Sprint: Check
Perks: Check

If you didnt know what thread you were reading what game would you think I was talking about. Get that perk shit out of my Halo. People play Halo for skill, you can jump right in and most of the time not have to deal with some perked up asshole who isnt much better than you but has the time to play all day and night. This is why I dont play COD.

I know are saying wait until we read about the perks but you all know there is no way to do perks well. Crysis 2 might have had legs if it wasnt COD future.

agreed, my hype has been killed a lot now that i've seen sprinting. A spartan should never lower his gun, he should be running full tilt while having near perfect aim almost all the time.

They said they wanted to make master chief feel like a supersoldier, well start by making sure you never have to look down a sight or press a button to spint.

Please tell me credits are gone. So much work for so few credits. Really took the fun out of the game.

Credits are only fun when you can constantly buy things even if the cooler things are super expensive.

Reach it was like: Play for 30 hours: Buy 1 item. Play for 60: Buy another item.

Such a bad system. Hopefully they stick to rank. The more you rank up, the more things unlock.

Please tell me credits are gone. So much work for so few credits. Really took the fun out of the game.

Credits are only fun when you can constantly buy things even if the cooler things are super expensive.

Reach it was like: Play for 30 hours: Buy 1 item. Play for 60: Buy another item.

Such a bad system. Hopefully they stick to rank. The more you rank up, the more things unlock.

credits werent bad, just very unbalanced on both the cost of items and how much you could get for a match

They haven't talked about player rankings or progression yet as far as I know.

regardless of what they are or what they get called, it's been said they change gameplay.

Unless they're powerups like in halo 1-3, ie you find them in the match, and everyone still starts out on a base playing field, i wont be happy.
I actually like the idea of perks/customization.

I know I'm going to get a lot of flak for this, but I think sprint should be a base player trait like jumping.

regardless of what they are or what they get called, it's been said they change gameplay.

Unless they're powerups like in halo 1-3, ie you find them in the match, and everyone still starts out on a base playing field, i wont be happy.

Stop going chicken little and wait to hear about just what the hell they are, this is why I can't stand talking about games.

Havok

This. and no Beta? dont they learn?
At least give them the chance to explain what this system is before prematurely jumping all over them based on poor wording from an attention-whoring article. There's skepticism, which is fine, then there's this. You've already got an employee in here saying they won't 'cock up the basics' with whatever it ends up being.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Love the overall steadiness of the first-person view, Reach had too much flashy bullshit that really overcompensated for Halo 3's WTF-dead feedback.

---

Anyone know what Bnet has been like since this morning? I'm too afraid to check.

Top Bottom