• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 Interview With Footage, Probably No Beta [Up: Official Making Of Video]

At least give them the chance to explain what this system is before prematurely jumping all over them based on poor wording from an attention-whoring article. There's skepticism, which is fine, then there's this. You've already got an employee in here saying they won't 'cock up the basics' with whatever it ends up being.

Nah dude I'd rather keep hearing from some journalist over others who saw the mp footage or the devs themselves. Seriously this perk talk is why discussing games is such a joke.

Stop going chicken little and wait to hear about just what the hell they are, this is why I can't stand talking about games.

I'm not going chicken, I have halo reach, i dont like what they've done with the loadouts and lack of powerups in reach, so I have every reason to assume issues with this next iteration of the same concept.

Halo reach was their opportunity to try these things, and they should've learned from the fact that most people avoid the playlists that use them. Ie why swat is still popular is because it has the most limited sandbox.

I'm not going chicken, I have halo reach, i dont like what they've done with the loadouts and lack of powerups in reach, so I have every reason to assume issues with this next iteration of the same concept.

Halo reach was their opportunity to try these things, and they should've learned from the fact that most people avoid the playlists that use them. Ie why swat is still popular is because it has the most limited sandbox.

You have every reason to calm the hell down when 343 has made it clear Halo 4 is different from Reach in a myriad of ways including multiplayer design philosophies.

I actually like the idea of perks/customization.

I know I'm going to get a lot of flak for this, but I think sprint should be a base player trait like jumping.

A lot of people have aversion to it and rightfully so since what makes Halo great is everyone is equal on spawn. This is also why so many despise Reach.

Havok

Baloney. Team Slayer is the most loadout-and-Forge-infested playlist and also has the highest population, nearly double what SWAT has currently. Hell, if we're going to use playlist metrics to judge what Halo 4 should be (using real numbers, not ones pulled out of our imaginations), it should be a game with nothing but Slayer and Infection gametypes since those two playlists dwarf every single other playlist in the game. SWAT caters to the same people that Living Dead does - people that want to shoot a million guys in the head without having to try and be good and actually deal with shield mechanics. The gimmicky and/or loadout-heavy playlists have probably ten times the population of 'hardcore' playlists.

We might not like the loadout and armor ability situation. That's fine. You've also got to accept that we're in a tiny, tiny minority on this one and we aren't going to change the direction this game design boulder is rolling in.

regardless of what they are or what they get called, it's been said they change gameplay.

Unless they're powerups like in halo 1-3, ie you find them in the match, and everyone still starts out on a base playing field, i wont be happy.

Amen. I've played enough games that added one thing or another that deviated from their original fundamental design, and Halo is not immune to this problem.

The second one player has an advantage over another because he gets to unlock something that he gets from playing more is the day Halo is ruined, and it sure as hell sounds like this is the case. I dont care about the perk confusion, I want someone to defend "progressive unlocks" which change gameplay. Unless my information was ill, this is an oversaturated direction for Halo to follow.

I dont want to play a Halo game where one player has an unlocked advantage, I don't want to play chess where I do not have rooks or bishops

Amen. I've played enough games that added one thing or another that deviated from their original fundamental design, and Halo is not immune to this problem.

The second one player has an advantage over another because he gets to unlock something that he gets from playing more is the day Halo is ruined, and it sure as hell sounds like this is the case. I dont care about the perk confusion, I want someone to defend "progressive unlocks" which change gameplay. Unless my information was ill, this is a poor direction for any game to follow, yet so many do it and so many overkill it.

I dont want to play a Halo game where one player has an unlocked advantage, I don't want to play chess where I do not have rooks or bishops

God will this discussion ever end.

343 dev said:
We didn't mention them. That's why I put it in quotes. That term was coined by someone else to interpret stuff they saw in the UI. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things and to be expected during announce fervor. And yes, it's partly our fault since we re rolling out more information about this stuff at a later time.

Everdred

I wouldn't mind some perks. I want a perk to not appear on the radar (Cold Blooded) for stealth flanking. As it is now, you can crouch, but you move so-damn-slow that it's not worth the hassle. At the very least, faster crouch walking plz

Aww hell naw. Crouching shotgun is one of my favorite things in Halo. Absolutely no need for a Cold Blooded type perk. Slow walking while hidden on radar is a perfect balance that shouldn't be messed with.

AlStrong

They're not doing a beta because Microsoft doesn't have a spring release that they can force people to buy.

They could announce Season Pass 2 for Gears 3.

>_>
Better question: will it be supported, or quickly replaced with infinite ammo + god mode... modes?

Ah... good point. If they do have such a mode, they should maybe look towards the Gears 3 model for starters. :)

You cant stand talking about games on a video game forum, incredible. Have you tried sitting instead?

No I can't stand the "let's jump on something a journalist took out of context over and over while we have a dev right here to tell us what's up." But fuck what he has to say right? I gotta froth at the mouth.

I must say, I did always admire how Bungie stuck to it's guns in having no unlockable gameplay stuff on the multiplayer front. It would be disappointing to see that change now.

My take thus far is I think the perks system is going to be more of a power up system, like the metroid prime series. Maybe carry an extra grenade or something along those lines. sprint for a little while longer

or

the perk system could play by side the the fact that the different armor configurations are going to affect the gameplay. I'm thinking maybe they are going to for a heavy, medium, light armor configuration?

Perks play into those giving maybe the heavy a bit long stamina for for sprint? Give the light a bit extra over shield?

Recarpo

First time I've been able to get on to post about all this stuff today, so I'm sure it's similar to a lot of other sentiments. Anyways, it looks amazing. I'm curious as to how the multiplayer is going to balanced and if we will see the return of certain powerups but I'm really excited about everything I saw. The best thing I saw was just how the spartan 4's move and jump. I'm also optimistic that the perk type system, or whatever you'd like to call it, won't upset the balance of the game, I think 343i will get it done right. Can't wait to get more info and I'm hoping we get to hear something about, hopefully, the inclusion of firefight and the improvements of it.

the perk system could play by side the the fact that the different armor configurations are going to affect the gameplay. I'm thinking maybe they are going to for a heavy, medium, light armor configuration?
Interesting take, and something that would push the game into more of a class based direction, something Reach's loadouts tried to achieve.

Zeal

Banned
God, this discussion has went Gamingforce level retard mode.

Anyway, I am not bothered one bit by these so-called "perks", because whatever additions they make to the game will probably actually be pretty fun and unique. Hell, I thought the the armor abilities (well, maybe minus OP armor lock) in Reach were amazing. As a matter of fact, I think Reach had the best multiplayer since Halo 1, so I don't care what people say. I'm pretty sure 343 is not going to award higher skilled players with more OP weapons and gear that will make it easier for them to slaughter those who just picked up the game.

I am not fretting about any of this until more is shown.

Zeal

Banned
Who's the Killkill Wolfrape woman? she seems like a new face. Is she the winner of the Ryan Paiton fight?

A woman with the mind of a Forerunner, and she is awesome. The series is in good hands. Watched this woman speak at PAX and was immediately impressed.

Who's the Killkill Wolfrape woman? she seems like a new face. Is she the winner of the Ryan Paiton fight?
what_the_fuck_am_I_reading.png

Ken

So uh, that Halo yeah.

I hope the Armory in H4 will be open to new DLC armor being added in.

It was rather disappointing to have the entire armory spoiled before Reach was even a week old. Getting new armor weeks or months later in the game's life would be a nice surprise.

GrizzNKev

Banned
So uh, that Halo yeah.

It was rather disappointing to have the entire armory spoiled before Reach was even a week old. Getting new armor weeks or months later in the game's life would be a nice surprise.

I actually think there's a pretty good chance of this happening. 343 considered adding new armor with the Anniversary pack but in the end decided not to. I think it's likely we'll see that made up for in Halo 4.

Ken

I actually think there's a pretty good chance of this happening. 343 considered adding new armor with the Anniversary pack but in the end decided not to. I think it's likely we'll see that made up for in Halo 4.

I hope so. I'm a sucker for cosmetics. :(

So uh, that Halo yeah.

I'd like more variation in the Armory too and would definitely be open to armour packs if it keeps things fresh. It would just be nicer if it didn't take longer than the life of the universe in playtime to unlock everything.

Top Bottom