• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Caladrius

I don't think "linear" in Caladrius' sense of the word means halo 4 or halo 2 levels of linear. I think he's saying a point-a-to-point-b campaign mission, such as those we've seen in Halo (CE level) or even in Spartan Ops, is a completely different beast compared to a have-it-your-way hub-styled world such as the one we saw in ODST.

This is more what I mean, yes. When you shift the format like that you have to take in extra design considerations.

Open world in particular offers another challenge (unrelated to design) because there's only so much content you can add for budgetary or time-related reasons. Halo doesn't exactly have a flexible launch schedule (being MS's flagship game franchise) to accommodate that, so I fear that if they tried that they would be forced to half-ass it.

monome

I think really old school fans of stuff like the early Nylund novels, and deep "never before exposed to the public but known about in Halo nerd circles" will genuinely embrace some of the stuff we have planned for the future.

pretty much the contrary of what's been done since "Evolutions".

The one that bugs me more is the Chief. They had a perfect opportunity to finally have an in-game upgrade of his armor - let him run around with the Halo 2/3 armor for the first couple of missions, then the Infinity has an upgraded Mjolnir suit and he gets in it when he finds the Infinity.

Instead, he just gets nanonmachined to having a new suit in place.

Of course, the reality of this is more than likely that making two principal-level models Master Chiefs for one game is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, so you get the time and budget for one and explain the change with "nanomachines, son"

Was the nanomachines explanation really what happened? The fact that I'm asking as there was no clear answer in the game is pretty disappointing..

Was the nanomachines explanation really what happened? The fact that I'm asking as there was no clear answer in the game is pretty disappointing..

Yep I think, soft retcon like frankie said but the official answer is that instead of "We did a a design retcon deal with it" like halo Wars team

Omni

MK VI doesn't have nano-machines. For some reason they introduced the concept with the MK VII that Naomi wore instead.

As far as I'm aware, there is no canonical reason for the change.

Maybe it's just 'cause it's late but I'm not getting the reference
*backs away slowly*

big-boss-salute-o.gif

I just realized, now that I have a computer that isn't from 2004 I can actually render my own hueg gifs instead of outsourcing them to exwife!

ibr56v6AnmPGXT.gif

Chettlar

Banned
Pretty much kills replay value in one single run.

Huh?

Must not have been clear. What I'm talking about is a linear shooter like Halo has always been. Despite having open levels, they are still linear objectives. You can't go anywhere you want. Not talking about practically on rails shooters.

And all the Halos have had tons of replay value. There's no reason to make it open world.

Besides, open world games usually perform and look worse, and have lazier environments, since you have to have a lot of filler. I'm fine with an open world Halo, sure, but I don't want to lose that traditional campaign that we have always had.

Welfare

I just realized, now that I have a computer that isn't from 2004 I can actually render my own hueg gifs instead of outsourcing them to exwife!

ibr56v6AnmPGXT.gif

So he was banned for going off topic?

Why can't Spartan Ops be available for offline members? It's a pretty weak excuse if it's because of the cinematic's being streamed.

Huh?

Must not have been clear. What I'm talking about is a linear shooter like Halo has always been. Despite having open levels, they are still linear objectives. You can't go anywhere you want. Not talking about practically on rails shooters.

And all the Halos have had tons of replay value. There's no reason to make it open world.

Besides, open world games usually perform and look worse, and have lazier environments, since you have to have a lot of filler. I'm fine with an open world Halo, sure, but I don't want to lose that traditional campaign that we have always had.

Halo 4 was without a doubt a corridor lineal shooter while previous Halo have different ways to face an encounter with open spaces and different paths in a linear gameplay. Why do Halo have to Hold back an innovate to a hibryd open world like ODST was.

Also dont forget the exploration actually direct you to a different way to play the campaign while in halo 4 cortana is screaming at you non stop to go forward and little incentive to explore.

Chettlar

Banned
Halo 4 was without a doubt a corridor lineal shooter while previous Halo have different ways to face an encounter with open spaces and different paths in a linear gameplay. Why do Halo have to Hold back an innovate to a hibryd open world like ODST was.

Also dont forget the exploration actually direct you to a different way to play the campaign while in halo 4 cortana is screaming at you non stop to go forward and little incentive to explore.

What I'm saying is, keep the style of campaigns that we had in CE and 3, and for the most part Reach and to a very small extent 4.

If you think about it, we really only have three campaigns of that style, and all of them are pretty short, on average about 10 missions that can usually be completed in under 30 minutes. Some under 10 minutes. (not including speed runs).

In other words, we really have relatively little of that kind of gameplay, and Halo is really the only game that plays quite like it does.

What I'm saying is I don't want to have that replaced with a more open-world kind of thing (open world, as in Far Cry or Blood Dragon or Skyrim). I'd love to see how a Halo like that turns out, but I don't want that at the exclusion of campaigns of the same breed as Halo 3 or CE.

In other words, relegate that to spin off titles.

It's considered subsidized by your Gold subscription, or else it would have cost money to buy like DLC.

...why can't it be subsidized by your Gold account to allow you to download it and play it locally? I mean, there really is no functional difference. They are still getting the same amount of money, and I'm still getting to play the same content, just locally.

Chettlar

Banned
After the Halo 3 playlist consolidation.

For real?

Man, I wish Halo 3's DLC would go free already. It's absolutely insane for a game this old to not have it's DLC free already. I mean, heck, Gears of War's DLC is free.

Besides, DLC playlists have like 50 players on average a friend told me. Sheesh, make that stuff free already Frankie.

They should just make every supplementary effect a grenade. Power Drain grenades, Dexterity grenades, grenades that explode into jetpacks...

Woorloog

Banned
They should just make every supplementary effect a grenade. Power Drain grenades, Dexterity grenades, grenades that explode into jetpacks...

I still want a bubble shield grenade, something like when we first saw the bubble shield.
Annoying team mates by throwing one in front of them when they're firing a rocket launcher would be fun. (Grenade because you can't throw an equipment very far away)

Wahrer pls. Original ideas only..

Grenade that homes in on a target and bounces off walls before exploding into sticky-jetpacks that'll boost players around but explode after a short period of time like propane tanks. Sticky-pack explosions spawn 5 CE pistols that all fire a single explosive round; the explosive round explosion causes a plasma grenade explosion and spawns a Shadow which proceeds to drop off four Grunts each, explode, and the explosion kills the Grunts which turn into Flood carrier forms and explode into infection forms that explode into the original grenade.

This will be the least surprising reveal ever (well maybe not ever), but I'm still incredibly excited.

Yea it would be good but it's Halo 2,we played it before. I would be more excited if the new Halo 5 trailer has the original Halo theme indicating a potential return to its roots. Now that would be amazing.

Yea it would be good but it's Halo 2,we played it before. I would be more excited if the new Halo 5 trailer has the original Halo theme indicating a potential return to its roots. Now that would be amazing.

Yea I still want it though, I miss *good* Halo
idc what you say CE purists.
Halo 4 had a darker version of the monks in the reveal trailer, yet they were no where to be found in the final game, so I guess trailer music =/= final game music.

Woorloog

Banned
It's from Turok 2:seeds of evil which was out in 1998 off of the top of my head so it may have been.

98? It is very possible then.
I wonder, what about other weapons? Most weapons in Halos are, of course, taken from Marathon series, either their function or looks or both: At least the Magnum, AR, Mauler, Rocket Launcher, Flamer, Plasma Pistol, Plasma Rifle to an extent, what else?
But what about others? The Scattershot seems to be inspired by the Unreal Tournament Flak Gun (what a wonderful weapon that was). The sniper and SMG are likely based on real weapons (a South African sniper and MP7 PDW, respectively), and the Grenade Launcher is probably inspired by M79. The rest are original, perhaps? Can't think of any influences for them.

I think we'll get trailers for both H2A and H5 at E3, similar to ODST/Reach.
It's from Turok 2:seeds of evil which was out in 1998 off of the top of my head so it may have been.
So good. A next gen Turok with DINOSAURS
that shoot rockets out their eyeballs
could be legit. Just saying..

Also this. Halo needs weapons like these, weapons like when we used the Covenant weapons for the first time in CE. Weapons like when we used the Sword for the first time in Halo 2. Weapons man, weapons.

Top Bottom