• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

TCKaos

Halo's killtimes aren't short enough to justify sprint, I think. As much as I love going fast, I hate it whenever I get three shots on a guy and he sprints around a corner. That shouldn't be a thing. Either sprint should be slower with faster base movement speed or we should return to CE length killtimes. A bad sprint isn't punishable enough.

In CoD, or Battlefield, or Planetside, most killtimes are so short that they're shorter than the animation of pulling your weapon back out, meaning that a bad sprint will get you decimated.

Just give us 200% speed across the board and Reach inertia. I know you dumbfaces hate inertia because it's made of science but I loved that shit. At higher speeds (which Reach admittedly didn't have) it actually forced you to live with your decisions in terms of map movement. Fuck up a jump? Better start watching those Powerhouse HLG streams, chucklenuts!

Nebula

Just give us 200% speed across the board and Reach inertia. I know you dumbfaces hate inertia because it's made of science but I loved that shit. At higher speeds (which Reach admittedly didn't have) it actually forced you to live with your decisions in terms of map movement. Fuck up a jump? Better start watching those Powerhouse HLG streams, chucklenuts!

Maybe we should slide everywhere like you can on VANQUISH.

Fracas

#fuckonami
This isn't really true, if you sprint into a bad situation in a highly competitive game, you're dead.

I know this is anecdotal, but the vast majority of times, I am able to sprint away from danger quite easily, even with skilled opponents. Mobility makes this even easier.

Obscured

LTTP on the latest debate on ranked/social, but I wonder if the smartmatch stuff will help with those kind of issues. It will be interesting to see how this stuff ends up working in practice and whether it is intuitive enough for people to 'get it'.

LTTP on the latest debate on ranked/social, but I wonder if the smartmatch stuff will help with those kind of issues. It will be interesting to see how this stuff ends up working in practice and whether it is intuitive enough for people to 'get it'.

There aint no code behind "smartmatch" AKA "Just find some dudes quick! HURRY UP OR ELSE THE ADD KIDS WILL GO PLAY COD!"

I'll hop on. Gonna run a bad connection traiiiiiin over these chumstains

I kill the entire enemy team before you guys even spawn in

Although I probably shouldn't do that

iEB2QyzMlhgVw.gif

Booshka

Sprint needs to go, bring me back my faster base movement speed, an actual strafe, and a decent jump height. Tone down the aim assist, make the hitboxes more strict, don't bend bullets "Wanted" style to compensate for mediocre aim. Make crouching quicker up and down, so you can use it in your strafe and your jump to throw off players aim. Also design some more crouch jump only style jumps in maps that makes for some more challenging level traversal.

Take out melee lunge, or at least tone it down a lot and force players to be more accurate with their melees. If someone barely has a player on their screen and lands a melee, make it do hardly any damage. If they hit them clean in the chest, give them full damage. Indirect and Direct melee hits that reward accuracy for melees and punish sloppy melees that have you barely grazing their shoulder. Bring back momentum damage for melees, and headshot damage for melees as well. Standing (least), Running (mid) and Falling down from a jump (highest) all should have different damage values, with a headshot multiplier as well. Standing melees should take down 75% of shield, and take 3 total to kill. Running melees should take shields down completely and kill in two hits. Jumping melees should take shields down and a 1/3 of player health. Jumping melee and standing melee will kill. Running and standing will make someone absolute (no shield, bare minimum health).

Started up Halo 4 to try the new playlists only to learn my blue Halo 4 LE controller's bumper broke :,(

It isn't possible to buy a new one... anyone know if controllers are under a warranty?
I tried searching but didn't find anything, I didn't try calling.
I don't want to open it and break its warranty, if one exists.

gAg CruSh3r

Started up Halo 4 to try the new playlists only to learn my blue Halo 4 LE controller's bumper broke :,(

It isn't possible to buy a new one... anyone know if controllers are under a warranty?

How is it broke???

Nebula

Tweet @XboxSupport

Obscured

There aint no code behind "smartmatch" AKA "Just find some dudes quick! HURRY UP OR ELSE THE ADD KIDS WILL GO PLAY COD!"

I was refering to the XB1 smartmatch system they are putting in place. Although maybe you knew that and are saying that it won't actually have anything behind it when it launches, though it sounds as if a lot has gone into it. If you didn't know what I was referring to then hopefully that clarifies, if you did know and were just taking a shot then carry on.

Nebula

I was refering to the XB1 smartmatch system they are putting in place. Although maybe you knew that and are saying that it won't actually have anything behind it when it launches, though it sounds as if a lot has gone into it. If you didn't know what I was referring to then hopefully that clarifies, if you did know and were just taking a shot then carry on.

Welcome to HaloGAF.

I hope smartmatch does its thing for all those looking for balanced games on the Xbone, especially when a games population gets pretty low later in the games life.

Madness

How do you guys think TitanFall will affect Halo 5? The fast gameplay, wall running and double jumps etc. I think it's going to make a big impact in competitive multiplayer shooters.

Thruster is the most inoffensive armor ability. What if they introduced only thrust and double jump next game? It works on a recharge and everyone has it?

Remove the other junk, perks, tactical options etc. Make grenades pickup from dead bodies as well as ammo, have on map weapons, no instant respawn, have camo, speed boost, overshield and damage boost as on map pickups. Use hologram, jetpack or sentries only in certain modes ie. Rock N Rail, Snipers.

Increase base movement more, including strafe. I liked Booshka's example. Don't know what to do about sprint. I hate it, but so many people are used to it. So many people run mobility as well so it's unlimited sprint. How would it work, if the further you went without changing direction, the quicker you moved? Would that work or is it basically sprint? Meaning if right at spawn I push up on joystick, and don't stop, my Spartan speeds up even more?

I've always felt that vehicles served the point of sprint. Now that I have unlimited sprint why even use the warthog or mongoose.

I don't know why I'm so excited for TitanFall, even more than Destiny. The gameplay just looks fun as hell. Would be great way to kick off the next gen.

Nebula

How do you guys think TitanFall will affect Halo 5? The fast gameplay, wall running and double jumps etc. I think it's going to make a big impact in competitive multiplayer shooters.

Thruster is the most inoffensive armor ability. What if they introduced only thrust and double jump next game? It works on a recharge and everyone has it?

Remove the other junk, perks, tactical options etc. Make grenades pickup from dead bodies as well as ammo, have on map weapons, no instant respawn, have camo, speed boost, overshield and damage boost as on map pickups. Use hologram, jetpack or sentries only in certain modes ie. Rock N Rail, Snipers.

Increase base movement more, including strafe. I liked Booshka's example. Don't know what to do about sprint. I hate it, but so many people are used to it. So many people run mobility as well so it's unlimited sprint. How would it work, if the further you went without changing direction, the quicker you moved? Would that work or is it basically sprint? Meaning if right at spawn I push up on joystick, and don't stop, my Spartan speeds up even more?

I've always felt that vehicles served the point of sprint. Now that I have unlimited sprint why even use the warthog or mongoose.

I don't know why I'm so excited for TitanFall, even more than Destiny. The gameplay just looks fun as hell. Would be great way to kick off the next gen.

Honestly, Halo got stomped by itself and taken down even further by Call of Duty. Another game looking to enter the market, by some of the minds that crapped on Halo in the first place is definitely something 343 should be aware of. TitanFall is looking to take Halo and CoD players, hell even some BF players if it can.

If I was an FPS dev who put most of my effort into multiplayer, I'd be shitting my pants because people are talking about TitanFall and it has already sold Xbones.

Though I would prefer a stripped down Halo 2/3 style game, I could be happy with a default setup of thruster+double-jumppack. Any crazy AAs or power-ups should just be on-map pickups.

The sooner 343 realize that Halo MP is really two different games the better. That way everyone who likes arena shooters can get their arena shooter Halo, and everyone that likes big, crazy, random fun-time battles can get their perk on.

They should just make Halo Arena Live a F2P launch title for the One with Bravo/Quinn support and then stick Halo: Infinity multi in the mainline titles. That way they can still get that CoD cash money and we'll have guaranteed happiness all gen.

It will hopefully have a significant impact on competitive multiplayer shooters, but I doubt that it will have any on Halo 5. It's going to come out roughly 6 months before Halo 5, the sandbox design isn't going to be set in stone at that point.

Nebula

They should just make Halo Arena Live a F2P launch title for the One with Bravo/Quinn support and then stick Halo: Infinity multi in the mainline titles. That way they can still get that CoD cash money and we'll have guaranteed happiness all gen.

The thing is, I don't think Halo 4 got those sales because of CoD kids. I think it was a huge amount of the original Halo 2/3 player base making a return because 343 hyped this up as the return of Halo and people believed it. Hope got them loads of money, not CoD kids (I'm sure they contributed though).

The numbers probably dropped off around the CoD release because that is where a majority of ex Halo players seek refuge now, including myself, although I've played it a lot less this past month thanks to New Vegas and Borderlands 2 Krieg DLC. CoD knows what it wants to be and doesn't change massively with each release.

Also, I do now consider myself an ex Halo guy. I haven't touched it since I tried the WTU settings, and have had no desire to do so. I might jump back into Halo 3 when it gets put on demand for free but that will be my relationship with Halo going into the future. I'm not even getting an Xbone so no Halo 5 either.

Halo Arena downloadable game, competitive 4v4 shooter.
Halo main franchise multiplayer in the style of Battlefield, 32 v 32.
-Super casual, loadouts, all about pulling off crazy stunts, heavy influence on vehicles, chaos, etc.

Nuke Infinity, evolve BTB into something modern and fun, blow casual minds, satisfy veteran audience, profit.

Vico

Random thought of the day : I hope space combat is back in Halo (5) One.

When I first played Halo 4's Midnight level, I really thought this was going to happen, but all you ended up doing was flying in circles shooting static targets. I did like the trench run, though, but I'm mainly talking about space combat right now.

At least Dice's Battlefront will be there, if I don't get it in Halo. :D

Duji

Inertia should stay in jumps but not in anything else. I don't think there's anyone against jumps having inertia.

What is wrong with playlist diversity achieving just that and in a single title?

Booshka

What is wrong with playlist diversity achieving just that and in a single title?

Because it has never happened so far. The game has to be built from the ground up with either of those core designs in mind. Can't do both well enough, Halo has been straddling the line of being a jack of all trades, master of none for years now.

Halo 2 probably was the closest thing to satisfying both crowds almost equally, but if you ask CE Purist assholes like myself or BigShow, we'll tell you hell no it didn't work. I don't see it working in the future either, especially on consoles where the game isn't open enough for the community to modify it. Games such as Starcraft 2, Unreal 2K4, Counter-Strike, Half-Life Deathmatch, Trackmania are extremely open to community modification and input. That kind of openness is needed for it to be even close to possible, and it won't happen on consoles, especially not a MS console.

Because it has never happened so far. The game has to be built from the ground up with either of those core designs in mind. Can't do both well enough, Halo has been straddling the line of being a jack of all trades, master of none for years now.

Halo 2 probably was the closest thing to satisfying both crowds almost equally, but if you ask CE Purist assholes like myself or BigShow, we'll tell you hell no it didn't work. I don't see it working in the future either, especially on consoles where the game isn't open enough for the community to modify it. Games such as Starcraft 2, Unreal 2K4, Counter-Strike, Half-Life Deathmatch, Trackmania are extremely open to community modification and input. That kind of openness is needed for it to be even close to possible, and it won't happen on consoles, especially not a MS console.

I agree consoles are closed systems more than PC's in terms of community content. However just because there was a certain philosophy at Halo 4 launch doesn't equate to not catering for more diversity in playlists regarding maps, settings and more.

Halo 3, Halo 2 and CE catered for social, competitive and customs just fine. I would suggest if you only liked CE on PC for the modded content then how did you enjoy console games over the last 10 years? How about the next 10?

Top Bottom