• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Booties

Banned
Just took a hot steamy turd on some kids in a gauss hog with a beam rifle. Snap shot double kill for the win. Get something on.

Booshka

I agree consoles are closed systems more than PC's in terms of community content. However just because there was a certain philosophy at Halo 4 launch doesn't equate to not catering for more diversity in playlists regarding maps, settings and more.

Halo 3, Halo 2 and CE catered for social, competitive and customs just fine. I would suggest if you only liked CE on PC for the modded content then how did you enjoy console games over the last 10 years? How about the next 10?

I never suggested this, I never played Halo CE on PC, I played it on Xbox, because it is one of the best console shooters ever made. Halo CE did exactly what I wanted it to do, it's the exact Halo game I'd like to play. It is wild chaotic fun in big games and FFA, while being a symphony of competitive brilliance when played 2v2 slayer on the appropriate maps.

I never suggested this, I never played Halo CE on PC, I played it on Xbox, because it is one of the best console shooters ever made. Halo CE did exactly what I wanted it to do, it's the exact Halo game I'd like to play. It is wild chaotic fun in big games and FFA, while being a symphony of competitive brilliance when played 2v2 slayer on the appropriate maps.

Sure I get the love for CE but after the last 10+ years I'm happy if that is provided in playlist settings. I went with PC CE because you had a laundry list of PC games and spoke of community tailoring mods to their niche wants or the game overall. I wish they would just release a PC editor like Farcry instead of Forge and then sustain from community content and their own.

What is wrong with taking a modded game, map or setting and then having your studio designers/developers go from there? Of course new stuff all by the developer but I think the mini slayer is a good sign of things to come...

Gui_PT

Sprint is 100% needed in Halo. You can throw away all AA's but sprint must remain.

GnxNByG.gif

Apparently some people don't like the new SWAT gametypes. I tried playing yesterday and every time an option came up, I was the only vote.

Hope to hear something about Legendary Slayer in tonight's update, because my interest in this game is taking a big nosedive as of late.

gAg CruSh3r

Sprint is 100% needed in Halo. You can throw away all AA's but sprint must remain.

I think it should stay as well but make weapons a tad bit stronger. If the player makes a mistake of jumping into a situation at a bad time. The player pays for it and can die; instead of the chance to run away.

IHaveIce

Banned
Apparently some people don't like the new SWAT gametypes. I tried playing yesterday and every time an option came up, I was the only vote.

Hope to hear something about Legendary Slayer in tonight's update, because my interest in this game is taking a big nosedive as of late.

Same here, though I really likethe weapon update I really have no interest in playing it, and I think I was one of the few who still played it alot.

Played some Halo 3 yesterday, I really would prefer playing Halo 3 customs all day instead of playing Halo 4. Descoping <3

But after E3 mostly all of my gaming interest is in a hiatus, probably because I want to play nextgen games instead of my stuff :(

You can't achieve a playerbase with a mainline title because:

-A month after launch, when it comes to population 0 x 2 = 0

In Halo 2 and 3, the difference between Ranked and Social was minute. Trying to accurately "divide" the two extremes in Halo 4 - Infinity and v4 - has spawned roughly 4 or 5 unique sets across the board, not even counting community variants like ProMod.

Their best chance is to keep the oldies satisfied in their timeshare in Boca Raton and adding paid options like DLC, skins, new crazy modes like Firefight, ProForge, etc. and keep the newbies living in the bi-yearly renovated apartments they can afford.

Free map packs would keep people for longer, too.

You know, so we can see them in play lists outside of special new map month playlists only 40 people use, while everyone else is still playing DMR on ragnarok.

IHaveIce

Banned
Free map packs would keep people for longer, too.

You know, so we can see them in play lists outside of special new map month playlists only 40 people use, while everyone else is still playing DMR on ragnarok.

I would like the Halo 3 map packs to go free, so they are all required for every playlit and Midship would come up more often. :(

I would like the Halo 3 map packs to go free, so they are all required for every playlit and Midship would come up more often. :(

That would be amazing. Heretic is the best map in the game and it rarely comes up outside of Mythic.

We also need a playlist update for H3 Frank/Ellis. Ask Bungie for help if you need to, I'm sure they'll at least point you in the right direction out of love for Halo.

Ghazi

Dude I'm about to fucking cry. We have some family over today and my little 13 year old cousin is telling me how amazing Halo 4 is and how it's his first Halo and it's the best game he's ever played. You don't know the half of it kid.

BigShow36

Sprint needs to go, bring me back my faster base movement speed, an actual strafe, and a decent jump height. Tone down the aim assist, make the hitboxes more strict, don't bend bullets "Wanted" style to compensate for mediocre aim. Make crouching quicker up and down, so you can use it in your strafe and your jump to throw off players aim. Also design some more crouch jump only style jumps in maps that makes for some more challenging level traversal.

Take out melee lunge, or at least tone it down a lot and force players to be more accurate with their melees. If someone barely has a player on their screen and lands a melee, make it do hardly any damage. If they hit them clean in the chest, give them full damage. Indirect and Direct melee hits that reward accuracy for melees and punish sloppy melees that have you barely grazing their shoulder. Bring back momentum damage for melees, and headshot damage for melees as well. Standing (least), Running (mid) and Falling down from a jump (highest) all should have different damage values, with a headshot multiplier as well. Standing melees should take down 75% of shield, and take 3 total to kill. Running melees should take shields down completely and kill in two hits. Jumping melees should take shields down and a 1/3 of player health. Jumping melee and standing melee will kill. Running and standing will make someone absolute (no shield, bare minimum health).

All of this. You can do whatever garbage you want with loadouts, AA, and what have you, but if you nail this stuff you'll have me. Unfortunately, a high skill ceiling in the shooting department is probably something we'll never see in a Halo game again.

Tawpgun

All of this. You can do whatever garbage you want with loadouts, AA, and what have you, but if you nail this stuff you'll have me. Unfortunately, a high skill ceiling in the shooting department is probably something we'll never see in a Halo game again.

Or another main console FPS again. Welcome to the times.

Fuchsdh

Dude I'm about to fucking cry. We have some family over today and my little 13 year old cousin is telling me how amazing Halo 4 is and how it's his first Halo and it's the best game he's ever played. You don't know the half of it kid.
If you're crying about that you have some pretty odd priorities in life.

No. Literally no one else is playing for the entire match. The latency is so huge that no one spawns (on our end), while they kill everyone/score everything. Pretty sure they cheat :)

I heard Bravo's gonna delete them. For serious though: someone please reset their host data.

A therapist

Could probably use an analyst as well. I know a guy who's both.

343, won't you please think of the children?

This is the target audience for Halo 4, I have no doubts now. The clunky dialog in Spartan Ops, the space magic of Cortana saving Chief, the points-for-participation scoring in multiplayer, the extremely overdone voicework of Jeff Steitzer...they are going for a new generation of players to follow them with their vision of Halo. The Star Wars movies eerily parallel the direction the franchise has taken, for me at least.

This is the target audience for Halo 4, I have no doubts now. The clunky dialog in Spartan Ops, the space magic of Cortana saving Chief, the points-for-participation scoring in multiplayer, the extremely overdone voicework of Jeff Steitzer...they are going for a new generation of players to follow them with their vision of Halo. The Star Wars movies eerily parallel the direction the franchise has taken, for me at least.
Remember this?

daedalius

I guess in here we are at least bitching about perceived problems with Halo rather than the new Kinect being a spying device for MS and the Gov't, like in another forum I visit... right?

14 year old huh? wow that was a really long time ago.

I think I found some comics I drew from that age when I was cleaning shit out last night... oh god, so awful. Wife is convinced I need to keep them though, for some reason.

TCKaos

I guess in here we are at least bitching about perceived problems with Halo rather than the new Kinect being a spying device for MS and the Gov't, like in another forum I visit... right?

14 year old huh? wow that was a really long time ago.

I think I found some comics I drew from that age when I was cleaning shit out last night... oh god, so awful. Wife is convinced I need to keep them though, for some reason.

I found my doodles from fifth grade recently. We should compare notes.

daedalius

I found my doodles from fifth grade recently. We should compare notes.

That stuff will never go near the internet :p I have enough embarrassing old things on my site already that should be purged.

This thread is depressing - I wouldn't look at a car and say "boooooooring - same round wheels as every other car" and change the wheels to squares while still calling it a car. Hell I wouldn't feel pressurised to design a car with square wheels just in the hopes that people who don't drive suddenly want to use my car.

And sprint kills the game in so many ways
- a fast base movement speed would be the same thing without the downsides

Lazy drive by post - I haven't got enough energy or motivation to write a big post about halo

KILLS THE GAME! KILLS IT DEAD!

This thread is depressing - I wouldn't look at a car and say "boooooooring - same round wheels as every other car" and change the wheels to squares while still calling it a car. Hell I wouldn't feel pressurised to design a car with square wheels just in the hopes that people who don't drive suddenly want to use my car.

And sprint kills the game in so many ways - a fast base movement speed would be the same thing without the downsides

Lazy drive by post - I haven't got enough energy or motivation to write a big post about halo

Squid is torching Halo 4 this week. Bad week? You seem angrier than normal.
I'm far more pleasant in person, I promise. :)

I guess I've hit a point where there's no playlist that I can find refuge in. I play in short bursts and odd times, so partying up with people on my FL is rarely feasible. Ever since the update, I can't seem to find my stride now and more often than not I'm ending a match with more assists than kills. 4v4 map selection is really poor; I'm getting very tired of playing the same 3 okay forge maps over and over again, with Haven rarely showing up in the most populated playlist. Throwdown settings are pretty great, but I feel out of my element with no radar and regularly playing against a full team.

I'm the first to criticize myself for my shitty playing, but it's even more difficult to enjoy this game when I can't unsee the bad game mechanics (flinch, sprint+sword on every map, etc.) that make things worse.

Indeed. I don't think it's that far off, I hear those squeaky little voices all the time while playing.

nbraun80

Have they updated btb in awhile? Its odd there's not more maps in there beings its the most popular playlist it seems. I also don't seem to get longbow anymore, did they take it out? Its also lame getting infinity and slayer pro options of meltdown, neither makes me want to play that map. Ha

John Wayne

Neo Member
Have they updated btb in awhile? Its odd there's not more maps in there beings its the most popular playlist it seems. I also don't seem to get longbow anymore, did they take it out? Its also lame getting infinity and slayer pro options of meltdown, neither makes me want to play that map. Ha

Yeah Longbow is on there but it hardly shows up.

We got Longbow last night...

...and Franklinaut was host.

Scored a used 4 month old slim Xbox off of Craigslist for only $100. I'll be available for some Halo once I feel that I've given The Last of Us enough of my attention.

Something something I thought you hated Xbox and Microsoft and halo something something flip flop something something you're dumb.

Risen

In Halo 2 and 3, the difference between Ranked and Social was minute.

Whaaaaa? I'm not sure if it's relative skill level or if you just played alone while I played with full parties, but I found a huge difference. In H3 there was a significant portion of my friends list that I would never enter ranked with because they'd get shit on; be it MLG, TS, Snipers, or otherwise... Search as 4 in the MLG list while a 50 and nearly every game was completely different than searching as 4-5 in social lists.

I'd go in with anyone at anytime in social lists and could enjoy playing the game with lesser skilled friends precisely because it WAS different.

Whaaaaa? I'm not sure if it's relative skill level or if you just played alone while I played with full parties, but I found a huge difference. In H3 there was a significant portion of my friends list that I would never enter ranked with because they'd get shit on; be it MLG, TS, Snipers, or otherwise... Search as 4 in the MLG list while a 50 and nearly every game was completely different than searching as 4-5 in social lists.

I'd go in with anyone at anytime in social lists and could enjoy playing the game with lesser skilled friends precisely because it WAS different.

I think he was referring to gametypes and such, not really the skill gap between the two. Although he is turrble.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

Agreed

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Stinkles, how's that halo 3 playlist update coming along?

Literally just sent some more mail about it. We needed to refresh it anyway, and it got put on hold while other more pressing matters were attended to, but the free H3 giveaway came as a surprise to me. we had a little more notice than you guys, but we were prepping for E3 etc.

Scored a used 4 month old slim Xbox off of Craigslist for only $100. I'll be available for some Halo once I feel that I've given The Last of Us enough of my attention.

Something something I thought you hated Xbox and Microsoft and halo something something flip flop something something you're dumb.

HEARTS AND MINDS

Top Bottom