• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Forge |OT| Plan, Build, Share

nillapuddin

Spent about 6 hours last night working on a Breakout version of Elongation only to have it bug out on me :(

It loads into a custom game just fine, but every time I try to open it in Forge I'm spawned outside of the game world and none of my controls work.

I took a screenshot of it.
Help?

jd noooooo

sorry dude, yeah I did that to one of my maps also, lucky I saved not too much before then. Hopefully you didnt lose everything!

So I've built the basic geometry..

Thumbnail_Large.PNG

Looking great man, can't wait to see the final finish.

Trup1aya

sneak peek. not really a walkthrough - just saved the last few minutes before the server kicked me off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlOJfQ58Nec&feature=youtu.be

theres a lot of expiermental placeholder stuff. got to this point and decided it would be best to downscale all of the buildings by 8-10 feet. so going to do that before i budget and close everything up. also might move it to glacier

You nailed the geometry in this one, im very curious to see how it turns out.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
After spending some time with props, effects and materials, there is zero reason why you can't make good looking forge maps. Everything is there.

screenshot-originalzrsq9.png

I'm expecting great things from y'all.

As an aside, I'd kill for the ability to place AI on the maps.

Watching this Sandtrap stream is insane. Really makes me appreciate 343 for the improvements in forge.
Wow, been pretty much ignoring this up until now. That looks incredible so far. Will keep an eye on the community to see what ends up getting made with this.

Why is the camera FOV editor inverted?

EDIT: It might just be broken.

EDIT 2: It is. Anything under 90 is just the default. Anything over is like 1 FOV. It's inverted and broken.

TCKaos

Started a thing. Hopefully I'll be able to finish it for next customs night.

Danger Canyon is a really cool idea, there are just a few weird issues with it that I'm going to try to fix.

The Kree

Banned
The framerate doesn't go to shit when you start adding all these effects and stuff? Is there a clear way to monitor system performance or does it not matter?

Karl2177

The framerate doesn't go to shit when you start adding all these effects and stuff? Is there a clear way to monitor system performance or does it not matter?
Generally just watch all of the perf meters. If one gets over 100%, then you're almost guaranteed to have a bad time.

Jumped into the new forge for the first time today. I've never really forged at all in past games but this one has enough features that it interested me.

Started a Sidewinder remake. Only began building the bases so far. I'm building it on flat ground before moving it to the snow. I threw in some glacier pieces around the base purely to give the base some context, they're not the permanent solution.

uNwRDNJ.jpg

Danger Canyon is a really cool idea, there are just a few weird issues with it that I'm going to try to fix.

Yes. Yeeeeesss. Lets just port all of Halo 1 over.

Figured out why the camera FOV slider was broken - the FOV extension filter. Having it enabled just screws everything up. I wish we could apply the filters post-intro.

tuna_love

Banned
Jumped into the new forge for the first time today. I've never really forged at all in past games but this one has enough features that it interested me.

Started a Sidewinder remake. Only began building the bases so far. I'm building it on flat ground before moving it to the snow. I threw in some glacier pieces around the base purely to give the base some context, they're not the permanent solution.

http://xboxclips.com/Wasoha/d4ea3b4a-f9f0-4953-aaf0-79feb9ca9b47
Looks radical

Vico

So jealous of you, guys. Won't be able to touch Forge before january. Keep up the great work, though, I'm loving what I'm seeing.

Trup1aya

Just read some blog where a guy was bitching about the forge limit was reached before WyvernZu could get halfway through his Sandtrap Map...

Was anyone watching the stream? How did he react?

http://xboxclips.com/Wasoha/d4ea3b4a-f9f0-4953-aaf0-79feb9ca9b47

uNwRDNJ.jpg

Yes. Yeeeeesss. Lets just port all of Halo 1 over.

This looks amazing!

Glass

I don't think he reached his object limit, but he still had parts to go on the map and worked out he'd need to cut some things back. One of the forge team was in the stream and commented how he could save a bunch of object resources by re-doing his terrain better, and get the same effect in half the amount of pieces. Like it's still such early days and people are already coming up with insane maps like the Sandtrap one, people will complain over anything.

Trup1aya

I don't think he reached his object limit, but he still had parts to go on the map and worked out he'd need to cut some things back. One of the forge team was in the stream and commented how he could save a bunch of object resources by re-doing his terrain better, and get the same effect in half the amount of pieces. Like it's still such early days and people are already coming up with insane maps like the Sandtrap one, people will complain over anything.

That just sounds like the typical learning curve when using new tool sets. People get more efficient with time...

It's safe to say the blog was just a bunch of hyperbole then.

Good to hear

FyreWulff

it was always easier for me to go back through and object-optimize a map after it was mostly roughed out.

Always felt my maps were improved by forcing me to make the choices on what you want and making the bases cleaner.

But I was also weird and never forged any map over ~3000$ in Reach

Fuchsdh

If for no other reason, I expect we'll have the same limitations in Forge in subsequent games that we had in Reach where despite a bigger budget performance issues were the real issue. If we never get splitscreen back that reduces some of the issues, but the more efficient Forgers can be the better off they'll be for future-proof techniques.

Where's my Infinity at?

quick updated impressions after using it last few days

• Pieces are awesome. All of them. Our maps can look like actual developer maps if you put the time into it.
  • UI is snappy and thorough but takes a while to navigate
  • Inverted Controls still don't feel good.
  • Bugs aplenty. Groups welding to one another every time the map is booted up, being unable to spawn, crashing when adding scripts or moving welded objects, crashing when changing skybox, etc.
  • Don't like how small the terrain canvases are.

This Forge would be perfect with 5 changess:

• More pieces. More signs, more vehicles, larger pipes, more scenery objects like Covenant Crates, textures, etc. And of course more canvases.
  • Remembering your last menu when you press X, or a HUD tooltip that tells you the last item you spawned. Also a Color Wheel for quick selecting and a way to change rotation axis without going into the menu.
  • Control scheme with AB and the bumpers switched, or at least the option to disable the camera inversion
  • Fix the bugs ASAP
  • Blank canvases of Glacier and Alpine without the preloaded terrain

Oh and do something about the magnet anchoring. Would be cool to set Anchor point like we have Parent options. Makes my life easier as opposed to using the Camera rotation.

Trup1aya

After spending some time with props, effects and materials, there is zero reason why you can't make good looking forge maps. Everything is there.

screenshot-originalzrsq9.png

I'm expecting great things from y'all.

As an aside, I'd kill for the ability to place AI on the maps.

I think this is very true. Some of the stuff I've seen created in less than a weeks time has blown me away.

I even saw someone beautify Guillotine and I think it looks leaps and bounds better than than the original. No disrespect to the Cartographers (they had a very limited time to work with a non-final toolset, and 343i internally tweaked the visuals after cartographers left), But the current BTB maps don't show the full potential of forge.

I hope that the existing maps in rotation will receive visual overhauls in addition to balancing tweaks.

I've been vocally upset about the lack of dev made maps in BTB, but seeing what the community is capable of with this new Forge, it no longer bothers me.

nillapuddin

I believe there may be a way. I will attempt it in my Forge show today.

awesome, I havent been able to get any of your streams to go well, but Ill try and reset my net when you broadcast. I look forward to the insight!

(I havent even tabbed into the scripting menu, I didnt want to get my hopes up)

JaggedSac

Wow, I'm impressed by what people have been able to do in such a quick time from release. Hopefully everything keeps improving and they surface this community stuff to the average joe.

BraXzy

Traditionally I get to grips with Forge by making a silly race map, but I've just sketched out a probably terrible Breakout map which I'm gonna break myself in with instead :D

Here goes nothing I guess.

Edit: Speaking of Breakout maps, this one looks REALLY cool.

http://imgur.com/gallery/XWwIN/new

Top Bottom