• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

So yeah, I just made a pretty big purge to the company. Some of us, that actually keep playing, want to finish commendations before Halo 6 comes out. If you want in, and will ACTUALLY attempt commendations for the company, shoot the company an invite and be sure to include your gaf handle. Kid gloves are off.

So yeah, I just made a pretty big purge to the company. Some of us, that actually keep playing, want to finish commendations before Halo 6 comes out. If you want in, and will ACTUALLY attempt commendations for the company, shoot the company an invite and be sure to include your gaf handle. Kid gloves are off.
Alright, my request is in. Time to take the fight to those needed commendations, especially when Anvil's Legacy hits.

Im scared of you now

When some of those purged get back on halo again in a few months:

vIXYF.gif

Magwik

Banned

"Pretty big purge"
"94 members"
;P

jem0208

Don’t kick me! :eek:

I’m still playing although it’s probably going to be a bit less this month as I’m moving back to Uni.

Trup1aya

I'm I correct in thinking that splatters work for both the ground vehicle kill and the splatter commendations?

Anyway, just got 12 vehicles kills in a single game. I'm pretty terrible with vehicles in this game, but it appears Temple ghosts are the way to go.

I'm I correct in thinking that splatters work for both the ground vehicle kill and the splatter commendations?

Anyway, just got 12 vehicles kills in a single game. I'm pretty terrible with vehicles in this game, but it appears Temple ghosts are the way to go.

Yes, that is the current understanding.

TCKaos

As if this thread is any better.

Just ask our awesome residents who shit on features/343 and continue to play the game.

See, I do this all of the time, but I don't view it as hypocritical. My critiques and rants and such come from a place of frustration, a sense of "You guys were so close, you got this much right, how do you mess up this particular thing?"

The sandbox is probably the most enjoyable one Halo has had since Halo 2, and it now boasts a feature set unrivaled by almost any other console game thus far, but there are small, easy fixes that poke out like a sore thumb that never get addressed or get exacerbated that you'd think people would have easily thought through but apparently didn't.

Like, every night I play Halo, I bitch about the same things, shit like:

• BR starts in BTB. Most of the maps become almost impossible to traverse because the BR has hitscan and is crazy effective at range. Vehicles are torn to shreds, Warthogs become useless, Wasps go down in less than thirty seconds. The magnum, being buffed far beyond the magnums seen in any Halo game since Halo 1, is more than enough to defend yourself at range off spawn so long as the enemy also has magnums. It's balanced now, unlike the magnums from every post CE game. You don't need the BR anymore.
  • Nerfing the Mantis. The chaingun does nothing, the missiles are completely inaccurate, the stomp is useless, it has no health, and can be boarded by pretty much anyone within 30 meters of it.
  • Shit spawns in 2016. Spawning in the line of sight of enemies, spawning in front of vehicles, spawning all the way across the map, spawning all over the place on Standoff.
  • The Grunt Mech having too much health and doing too much damage.
  • AI having too much health in Firefight and Warzone in general, showing a fundamental misunderstanding of the AI sandbox and fun encounter design.
This list grows every night. Like, now in Mantis Breakout, instead of shifting the spawns several inches to the right or placing them further apart, there is now only one spawn point right in front of the Mantises. It's incredibly jarring and one guy not paying attention can delay the entire team by precious seconds. Why is the Beam Rifle in Pound Town? It's antithetical to fun when you can just have one guy in a corner sniping the whole game. How come the matchmaking algorithm can't seem to match me with players that have a similar number of REQs? I'm level 144, how is someone at level 8 matching with me in Warzone? Why do Grifball, Infection and Swat all have their own playlists? Why not roll them into Action Sack and make Action Sack permanent? Then you could make Team Objective a playlist. Why isn't Assault in BTB? Why do the control axis on vehicles and Forge seemingly invert at random? Why is the Wasp so rare? Why is Antifreeze still broken, after half a dozen iterations, when the most simple fix would be a single kill barrier above where you're supposed to be on the map?

You see, on their own each of these complaints is a small "Well, it seems like a simple fix that could make the game way more fun," and without the fixes the game isn't not fun. It's just that the solutions that 343 seems to come up with aren't satisfactory. There are a bunch of issues that have gone unaddressed in any official sense that makes it seem as though they don't care about these small fixes that would make the experience that much more enjoyable.

Most of these, at least to me, seem like super simple no-brainers that you could have somebody do in a few hours. What does it really take to throw a killzone on top of Antifreeze? How much manpower does it take to finally actually fix the map after like 7 iterations? Why has there been so much hesitation in testing BTB Pistol starts? Why wouldn't Assault get shipped with Oddball and Ricochet, but get shipped with Grifball? How much tape do you have to cut through to get Steitzer voice clips that presumably 343 already has (given Oddball and Ricochet were in Halo 4)?

Some of them might not be super simple fixes, but shouldn't be hard. How many tweaks do you have to make so it's harder to board the Mantis, or to increase its firepower? How much manpower does it take to lock the FPS for the Warzone intro? I assume that the Grunt Mech's HP is probably a single variable consisting of a number, right? How hard is it to lower that number? How many board meetings have to be had? What about increasing the Wasp drop rate, or slightly buffing its health? Why would you ship a make-it-yourself ball gametype when it takes like five minutes to make Oddball or Ricochet (to my understanding)? How many man hours would it have taken to make those gametypes before launching it?

I could go on about more and more inane shit, but the point is that some of these fixes should, in theory, be as easy as 1-2-3. None of it individually ruins the game - hell, together it doesn't ruin the game, but it gives off the appearance of the devs not caring enough about supporting the game for the sake of supporting it. We all know that there are many people putting in lots of work on this title, as is evident from Halo 5 Forge for PC, but if you told me that Tom French was the captain of a skeleton crew running the ship and there were five interns in a basement making REQs for minimum wage I wouldn't be surprised. If there were more people supporting the game, surely some of those issues would have been fixed by now, right? Surely, if more people wanted to Halo 5 to be the most enjoyable experience possible, these tiny things that appear to take no effort to fix would get fixed, right?

Now, I could be wrong. It could be an MCC-esque "If we remove this notification the entire build comes crashing down around us and we have no way to disable it," but it doesn't appear to be that, which gives me hope that eventually they'll get fixed, but every build I'm left slightly disappointed.

EDIT: I understand that this comes off as "343 IS A BUNCH OF LAZY HACKS AND THEY RUINED HALO AND EVERYTHING IS BAD" but this stuff just kind of grinds on you after like a thousand games. The frustrating thing is that fixing them seems simple enough that it feels as though leaving them unfixed implies either apathy or inability, neither of which are desirable.

See, I do this all of the time, but I don't view it as hypocritical. My critiques and rants and such come from a place of frustration, a sense of "You guys were so close, you got this much right, how do you mess up this particular thing?"

The sandbox is probably the most enjoyable one Halo has had since Halo 2, and it now boasts a feature set unrivaled by almost any other console game thus far, but there are small, easy fixes that poke out like a sore thumb that never get addressed or get exacerbated that you'd think people would have easily thought through but apparently didn't.

Like, every night I play Halo, I bitch about the same things, shit like:

• BR starts in BTB. Most of the maps become almost impossible to traverse because the BR has hitscan and is crazy effective at range. Vehicles are torn to shreds, Warthogs become useless, Wasps go down in less than thirty seconds. The magnum, being buffed far beyond the magnums seen in any Halo game since Halo 1, is more than enough to defend yourself at range off spawn so long as the enemy also has magnums. It's balanced now, unlike the magnums from every post CE game. You don't need the BR anymore.
  • Nerfing the Mantis. The chaingun does nothing, the missiles are completely inaccurate, the stomp is useless, it has no health, and can be boarded by pretty much anyone within 30 meters of it.
  • Shit spawns in 2016. Spawning in the line of sight of enemies, spawning in front of vehicles, spawning all the way across the map, spawning all over the place on Standoff.
  • The Grunt Mech having too much health and doing too much damage.
  • AI having too much health in Firefight and Warzone in general, showing a fundamental misunderstanding of the AI sandbox and fun encounter design.
This list grows every night. Like, now in Mantis Breakout, instead of shifting the spawns several inches to the right or placing them further apart, there is now only one spawn point right in front of the Mantises. It's incredibly jarring and one guy not paying attention can delay the entire team by precious seconds. Why is the Beam Rifle in Pound Town? It's antithetical to fun when you can just have one guy in a corner sniping the whole game. How come the matchmaking algorithm can't seem to match me with players that have a similar number of REQs? I'm level 144, how is someone at level 8 matching with me in Warzone? Why do Grifball, Infection and Swat all have their own playlists? Why not roll them into Action Sack and make Action Sack permanent? Then you could make Team Objective a playlist. Why isn't Assault in BTB? Why do the control axis on vehicles and Forge seemingly invert at random? Why is the Wasp so rare? Why is Antifreeze still broken, after half a dozen iterations, when the most simple fix would be a single kill barrier above where you're supposed to be on the map?

You see, on their own each of these complaints is a small "Well, it seems like a simple fix that could make the game way more fun," and without the fixes the game isn't not fun. It's just that the solutions that 343 seems to come up with aren't satisfactory. There are a bunch of issues that have gone unaddressed in any official sense that makes it seem as though they don't care about these small fixes that would make the experience that much more enjoyable.

Most of these, at least to me, seem like super simple no-brainers that you could have somebody do in a few hours. What does it really take to throw a killzone on top of Antifreeze? How much manpower does it take to finally actually fix the map after like 7 iterations? Why has there been so much hesitation in testing BTB Pistol starts? Why wouldn't Assault get shipped with Oddball and Ricochet, but get shipped with Grifball? How much tape do you have to cut through to get Steitzer voice clips that presumably 343 already has (given Oddball and Ricochet were in Halo 4)?

Some of them might not be super simple fixes, but shouldn't be hard. How many tweaks do you have to make so it's harder to board the Mantis, or to increase its firepower? How much manpower does it take to lock the FPS for the Warzone intro? I assume that the Grunt Mech's HP is probably a single variable consisting of a number, right? How hard is it to lower that number? How many board meetings have to be had? What about increasing the Wasp drop rate, or slightly buffing its health? Why would you ship a make-it-yourself ball gametype when it takes like five minutes to make Oddball or Ricochet (to my understanding)? How many man hours would it have taken to make those gametypes before launching it?

I could go on about more and more inane shit, but the point is that some of these fixes should, in theory, be as easy as 1-2-3. None of it individually ruins the game - hell, together it doesn't ruin the game, but it gives off the appearance of the devs not caring enough about supporting the game for the sake of supporting it. We all know that there are many people putting in lots of work on this title, as is evident from Halo 5 Forge for PC, but if you told me that Tom French was the captain of a skeleton crew running the ship and there were five interns in a basement making REQs for minimum wage I wouldn't be surprised. If there were more people supporting the game, surely some of those issues would have been fixed by now, right? Surely, if more people wanted to Halo 5 to be the most enjoyable experience possible, these tiny things that appear to take no effort to fix would get fixed, right?

Now, I could be wrong. It could be an MCC-esque "If we remove this notification the entire build comes crashing down around us and we have no way to disable it," but it doesn't appear to be that, which gives me hope that eventually they'll get fixed, but every build I'm left slightly disappointed.

EDIT: I understand that this comes off as "343 IS A BUNCH OF LAZY HACKS AND THEY RUINED HALO AND EVERYTHING IS BAD" but this stuff just kind of grinds on you after like a thousand games. The frustrating thing is that fixing them seems simple enough that it feels as though leaving them unfixed implies either apathy or inability, neither of which are desirable.

This is a pretty good post.

Add "having to quit the build and restart literally everytime I start the game just so the damn game connects to the REQ servers before I play" to Kaos' list. It's been an issue for a few builds now and wasn't an issue at launch or for the first few builds after. It's gotten to the point I just do it out of habit now because I know it has to be done everytime.

rrc1594

So the best Halo's for BTB.

Halo CE
Halo 3
Halo 2
Halo 4
Halo 5

Didn't think anything could get worse then Halo 4 but 343 was able to do it.

Top Bottom