• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man was that bulletin pure sexyness. Really great hearing them talk about how they are really understanding and incorporating MC as a character, as well as really emphasizing on the universe the way the books have.

I agree that there can and should be a small disconnect between SP and MP, allowing for SP to have more immersive situations. Never should they break the complete flow of the game though, at least IMO.

When Chief has his arms up in a firing positions they actually do.
I understand this, but I wont lie, at least from the toy images, the shoulder pads seem to be the weakest link of the design, IMO. If they were slightly smaller/tighter and further up the arm I think it would look a lot more like a natural evolution of MC. That said, after this latest pic, I really am liking the design. I cant freaking wait to see in game images.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
With Halo 4, we’re taking a different approach and focusing on the storytelling aspects of art from the design standpoint. We don’t do that everywhere in the game, but we wanted to take this opportunity to really focus on him as a human being.

In Halo 4, we are interested in doing something the franchise does well on the book side, and that’s helping shape the narrative. Halo is a compelling and deep universe, and we want to tell the story of this bio-engineered super-soldier.

One of the Master Chief’s most notable physical characteristics is that he’s wearing 800 pounds of tank and jet fighter. So we pulled that design into the armor and HUD. When you play Halo 4, it’s important you understand that you’re more than just a gun on the screen. To give you that feeling, we have represented that weight with player physics, without interrupting crosshair and shooting accuracy.

When we first looked at the Chief’s armor, we studied what was done in Reach. We knew he needed to be understood as a nimble yet heavy superhero, and contrast that with Reach armor design that was more on the bulky side. Our goal is to hit that sweet spot where we represent what is fictionally true about the Chief while making sure you feel like you’re a super-powerful human being when you're playing him.

There’s a lot of dark history in the fiction, but the Master Chief has always been an aspirational character. In fact, the Chief’s looking up is important to understanding his character. What’s interesting is that we have an opportunity to use that understanding of the Chief to tell different stories with subtle physical cues. As we develop the visual ID, the Chief’s current head-tilt is in an interesting territory where he’s typically looking up into the danger that he needs to conquer, but the camera tilt is potentially posing a question. Is he looking up, or is the camera tilted so that he’s actually looking down?
Above all, we wanted the player to really feel what it’s like to be the Master Chief. This manifests itself in a lot of ways, and for those who read the Fall of Reach, there’s a lot of character depth behind that helmet that has yet to make its way into the game experience. Every person who was allowed to touch him had to, HAD TO, understand his history as a person. The Chief’s origin is pretty sad and grim: A strong, vibrant child stolen from his parents, he underwent dangerous bioengineering that destroyed the weaker of his friends, and trained to stomp out human Insurrectionists. Pretty morally nebulous beginnings for someone who ultimately saved humanity. Of all FPS heroes, he is distinct in that his arc is aspirational and not a cynical view of the universe.

A big focus on the Chief’s armor was his physicality and putting the player in those mighty shoes. Getting that weight across in the design had us looking at a lot of contemporary military vehicles, and we pushed detail and form into the armor that implied that history. This is the bleeding edge of military technology.

A Spartan tossing his chest plate should feel like an anvil dropping….

A Spartan sprinting across concrete should be a stealthy whisper….

Putting on your helmet should feel like powering up an F-15E….

These are the sorts of experiences we want to give the players.
These bits make me all giddy, especially the bolded.

Reading the waypoint forums sometimes has its advantages this put some of my concerns about movement at ease.

My only concern is making you feel "Weighty". I really hope that doesn't translate to "low jump height".

Something to keep in mind is that I was talking about the artistic design of the Master Chief's physical appearance.

And also, this. :)

We knew he needed to be understood as a nimble yet heavy superhero.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Ever plan on making the site load on the iphones again, waypoint team?

i4cCT8NtqtXrR.png

works fine on ngage.

Blueblur1

I really hope they recognize that trying to represent that sense of heft and weight they want to give the Chief can lead to how Reach plays. I think it can be done well, but never at the expense of gimping actual player movement, inertia, etc.

Also, for the love of Christ I hope that the bit about pulling that design into the HUD doesn't mean that the hud is gonna be tilting ever so slightly whenever an explosion goes off near me, or if I do a quick turn. That's the thing I hate the most about my current go-to mp game, Bf3. It's awful there, the "immersion" it adds there doesn't make up for the functionality and ease-of-use it takes away. Keep that away from Halo 4, give me a HUD that's clear to read and doesn't jitter around. Form follows function please.

Sounds like the type of dumb shit Reach-era Bungie would do. God I hope not.

one suggestion i have for halo 4, keep forged maps out of matchmaking. have their own dedicated playlist.

Yes please.

Redford

aka Cabbie
one suggestion i have for halo 4, keep forged maps out of matchmaking. have their own dedicated playlist.

I dunno, I kind of want to agree, since all the forge maps in rotation sucked. Classic playlist had some decent remakes.

Why did everyone hate Select? I thought it was kind of cool to have a Narrows-type map.

Computron

Anyone else notice their skill markedly improve with TU gametypes? I seem to be ending in the high-teens/Lower-Twenties in every team-slayer game now.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Anyone else notice their skill markedly improve with TU gametypes? I seem to be ending in the high-teens/Lower-Twenties in every team-slayer game now.

Find myself winning more FFA games where campers and shotgun/sword whores would normally beat me.

Conversely, I'm surprised by my spread sometimes being lower than I thought some games. Which is good, I don't feel like I'm bullshitting my wins.

Had a couple games where everyone's ToD was melee except for mine. -_-

i dont know if anyone has experience this, or if i am going crazy, but it seems to me that the anniversary maps seem to have more frame rate issues after i installed it to my harddrive. when i played it off my disc, it ran relatively smooth.

Fuchsdh

I don't understand that at all. Maybe I need to watch a Starcraft 2 game to see how entertaining it is?

I might pay to watch StarCraft II if it were live. I would never pay to watch Halo. Halo is a fun game to play, but its limited first-person view makes it horrible as a spectator sport. Real-time strategy games have much more in the way of observer options, making it far more interesting because it's way easier to have an objective view of things.

How interesting you find StarCraft II tournament play depends on the person, but there's no doubt it is far more presentable than any FPS.

Played Vanilla DMR's just now. Not sure how I ever tolerated it before.

Adapt and pace your shots?

Some might say these longer battles make you take more into account thus resulting in more complex battles.

Instead of just smashing into the other player and seeing who gets the best 10 shots that round. I even see it in MLG just two players spamming the shit outta each other hoping for that kill before the other person. No thought processing at all just pure mashing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom