• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Majora's Mask is best. On another level from the other Zelda's though Windwaker is close.

Playing through Skyward Sword now (up to the second temple). Decent so far but the motion controls really harm the immersion for me. Plus I'm getting the feeling that it won't really challenge me again ala the mediocre Twilight Princess.

Do you remember what that did to the Covenant ship's hull? How could a human survive that?

Maybe Jorge wasn't fully human?

m-night-shyamalan(2).jpg

Jorge didn't necessarily die, it was a slipspace rupture that took him with the part of the ship that vanished. We could very well see his character return.
God knows they can't let dead characters rest.
Half expecting some re:incarnation of Johnson in H4.

Jorge is dead. Don't worry.

blamite

It would be amazingly terrible if, at some point in the new trilogy, Jorge, the Spirit of Fire, and the UNSC Infinity all show up at the exact same time, Leading to a big Spartan reunion/
meet and greet with the Spartan IVs
(Glasslands minispoiler)

The only thing that would make Jorge coming back worthwhile imo would be some sort of emotional reunion between him and Reach, seeing that it apparently goes back to normal by at least 2589.

Why? I wasn't referring to the games specifically.
First of all, logically, the chance of both of them randomly jumping to the same mysterious forerunner planet would be very, very small. Secondly, Jorge was supposed to safcrifice himself on that ship so if he survived his "death", his sacrifise wouldn't be as meaningfull.

And I thing it would just be plain dumb to have the chief and Jorge finding eachother somewhere randomly.

Not that those toy shots really confirm anything, but one of my biggest dreads with Halo 4 is if there is some bullshit narrative element in the first hour that makes the Covenant your enemies again and we spent the next three games with the same Covy enemies, weapons, and vehicles.

The Covenant is good, but for the new trilogy, I really want a new set of enemies.

Why? He's in a Covenant ship.

I don't want him back. It just appears as though he could.
The ship would probably be in pieces. The whole slipspace engine plan came to be because of an improperly mounted slipspace engine on a human ship, which was destroyed because of it. And I don't think properly mounted means hanging from a pelican.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Majora's Mask is best. On another level from the other Zelda's though Windwaker is close.

Playing through Skyward Sword now (up to the second temple). Decent so far but the motion controls really harm the immersion for me. Plus I'm getting the feeling that it won't really challenge me again ala the mediocre Twilight Princess.
I thought Skyward Sword was the best since Ocarina. I admit I've only dabbled with Majora's Mask.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Jorge didn't necessarily die, it was a slipspace rupture that took him with the part of the ship that vanished. We could very well see his character return.
Master story tellers those Bungie guys.

Next you're going to tell me Noble Team didn't give Cortana to Keyes.

u so crazy

The ole' switcharoo, but it would be cool to see Jun again later down the line, and the spartans from the spirit of fire.

Doesn't sound cool...sounds contrived. I would like to see the rest of Jun's story...but not if it magically reconnects him with other legitimately MIA Spartans from other corners of the Halo Universe. I just want the stories in Halo games to not piss me off.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Not that those toy shots really confirm anything, but one of my biggest dreads with Halo 4 is if there is some bullshit narrative element in the first hour that makes the Covenant your enemies again and we spent the next three games with the same Covy enemies, weapons, and vehicles.

The Covenant is good, but for the new trilogy, I really want a new set of enemies.

We will. I think the Covenant will play a support role with the Elites being the most prominent since all species have been disbanded without the Prophets.

Besides, it shouldn't matter if the Ghost, Banshee, and so on are in multiplayer. Multiplayer should never have the rules of a universe's fiction set on it.

Doesn't sound cool...sounds contrived. I would like to see the rest of Jun's story...but not if it magically reconnects him with other legitimately MIA Spartans from other corners of the Halo Universe. I just want the stories in Halo games to not piss me off.

I don't mean any of them joining up with John, but maybe some of their story told through terminals or in large scale battles see them take down a ship, etc, but nothing bigger than that.

We will. I think the Covenant will play a support role with the Elites being the most prominent since all species have been disbanded without the Prophets.

Besides, it shouldn't matter if the Ghost, Banshee, and so on are in multiplayer. Multiplayer should never have the rules of a universe's fiction set on it.

Not many games have a host of multiplayer only stuff (and no Halo game has). It's possible, but I doubt it. If something is in multiplayer (a weapon or a vehicle), I think you can count on it appearing in the campaign at some point.

I guess I'm just going to have to live with the Covenant still having a significant role in the new trilogy. Ugh

Ramirez

Not many games have a host of multiplayer only stuff (and no Halo game has). It's possible, but I doubt it. If something is in multiplayer (a weapon or a vehicle), I think you can count on it appearing in the campaign at some point.

I guess I'm just going to have to live with the Covenant still having a significant role in the new trilogy. Ugh

To think that the Covenant were not going to be present in Halo 4 at all was setting yourself up...

Ramirez

While I do agree, I think a change of pace might have been nice... but then again... ODST got rid of Elites and they were missed :p

I don't think we'll be fighting the Covenant, but they'll definitely be there, you don't spend 3 games creating these guys and then just act like they don't exist anymore, heh.

To think that the Covenant were not going to be present in Halo 4 at all was setting yourself up...

I realize that haha.

And I'm not really upset about them being in the game at all, as long as they are not enemies.

I have had this vision of Halo 4 in my head, aided by the concept art and concept art trailer of a Metroid Prime Halo game, and I think that would just be absolutely incredible, but I kind of know it's not going to happen.

Im personally looking forward to seeing the Covenant in H4, I hope they do play as enemies in at least a few encounters. I cant believe people are dissapointed by seeing Covie weapons and vehicles. I personally love The Banshee, and hope for a return of the Beam Rifle!

Halo 4 already has its work cut out, losing a significant part of the Halo sandbox would be pretty risky.

All of this Zelda talk.

I got it.

Halo 4 is like Link's Awakening.

Chief is "ship wrecked" on a mysterious planet. He must collect the instruments to awaken the windfish. The fish wakes up and Chief is once again floating in cryo in a burning ship.

While I do agree, I think a change of pace might have been nice... but then again... ODST got rid of Elites and they were missed :p

But those crazy periodically inviclble hammer chieftains almost made up for the missing elites IMO, they were incredibly awesome to fight in odst firefight aswell.

Im personally looking forward to seeing the Covenant in H4, I hope they do play as enemies in at least a few encounters. I cant believe people are dissapointed by seeing Covie weapons and vehicles. I personally love The Banshee, and hope for a return of the Beam Rifle!

Halo 4 already has its work cut out, losing a significant part of the Halo sandbox would be pretty risky.

Beam Rifle: The single most repetitive weapon in the sandbox in any of the Halo games.

On the contrary, I see Halo 4 as an opportunity to scrap most of the previous sandbox and start anew.

Off-topic: Super Paper Mario is my biggest gaming disappointment, especially coming after the brilliant Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door.

Agreed, Super Paper Mario was a huge disappointment. The first two games were so good.

I thought Skyward Sword was the best since Ocarina. I admit I've only dabbled with Majora's Mask.

I'm hoping it'll improve. I had a skim through the OT and there seems a bit of a consensus that it's awesome past a certain point. The game hasn't been bad but a little underwhelming after the Edge 10/10 review. Still it's early days; I remember hating the first few hours of Windwaker and that turned out one of the all time greats so who knows...

I want multiplayer to be more 'traditional' than Reach. But the campaign? Completely gut everything you've come to expect from a Halo single player experience, I'm really rather bored of it after five games of practically the same thing. At the least I expect a new set of enemies. I don't think I can handle Brutes and Grunts one more time.

Striker

The biggest loss of any Covenant weapon/vehicle would easily be the Wraith, I think. The Banshee has gone downhill each iteration, and I would like to see 343 introduce some new vehicles. I liked the Carbine and Beam Rifle, but they're not irreplaceable.

Just hit the new daily credit limit, 200,000 cR, and everything's working fine.

If you're around, Frank or David, pass on thanks to the team for fixing this issue.

The biggest loss of any Covenant weapon/vehicle would easily be the Wraith, I think. The Banshee has gone downhill each iteration, and I would like to see 343 introduce some new vehicles. I liked the Carbine and Beam Rifle, but they're not irreplaceable.

Yes, I do love reach's iteration of the wraith, I also think the ghost in reach is perfect, handles beautifully.

Inb4 Hydra calls me a wraith whore.

FyreWulff

I'd like to see Elites return to general matchmaking. I don't care if they get hunched over to do it. I thought the Halo 3 elites look better anyway from a design standpoint, they look more like the honorable vikings they come across as in 2 and 3. In Reach they look like bugs. Highly detailed bugs, but still.

I don't know if it was due to the handoff or what, but I thought Elites would be more.. present in matchmaking than they were. Not only that, but later gametypes had forced-spartans on them all the time, so you can't even play as them in customs. At least one playlist where your preference for Elite or Spartan would be recognized (Action Sack?) in Reach would be nice.

But I guess it'd probably also help if they made the stuff that determines the player model more stable so we could have a UI option to choose forced Elite, forced Spartan, or player choice for each team ourselves. Leave player model forcing in for the hardcore playlists or whatever.

Yes, I do love reach's iteration of the wraith, I also think the ghost in reach is perfect, handles beautifully.

I'd take the Wraith over the Scorpion. The Wraith is the balanced tank, the Scorpion is the spartan laser of vehicles. Overpowered and needs maps with high horizons to even balance it, ala Containment.

I don't think we'll be fighting the Covenant, but they'll definitely be there, you don't spend 3 games creating these guys and then just act like they don't exist anymore, heh.
It's not acting like they don't exist, it's allowing the Universe to be "big", that we don't need to through every feature or component of the universe at the wall everytime.

Give Covie's some room to breathe.

Homeboyd

Doesn't Gears or CoD have bots you can play against in custom games? Can someone briefly describe how they work (for those who know)? Can you edit difficulties/scripted paths in any way?

I'd love something like this for our custom maps but I don't know whether it would be possible unless you were able to lay the paths yourself after you built the map.

You're not a wraith whore. You are simply the result of a game whereby all the other weapons demand too much cognitive thoughts and reactions from the user.

Sorry Fyre, but no thanks. Spartan vs. Spartan or Elite vs. Elite please.

It's okay in Invasion, but that mode has bigger problems to deal with.

The biggest reason to keep Elite player models IMO is for machinima.

-------
Hell, just give up trying to balance Elites and give us a dedicated machinima mode:

- Find a way to let players load any character model from the disc and tie the animations/movement to their controls. Basically let players play around with puppets. Push Forge further in the direction of Garry's Mod.

[/wishful thinking]

I'd like to see Elites return to general matchmaking. I don't care if they get hunched over to do it. I thought the Halo 3 elites look better anyway from a design standpoint, they look more like the honorable vikings they come across as in 2 and 3. In Reach they look like bugs. Highly detailed bugs, but still.

I don't know if it was due to the handoff or what, but I thought Elites would be more.. present in matchmaking than they were. Not only that, but later gametypes had forced-spartans on them all the time, so you can't even play as them in customs. At least one playlist where your preference for Elite or Spartan would be recognized (Action Sack?) in Reach would be nice.

But I guess it'd probably also help if they made the stuff that determines the player model more stable so we could have a UI option to choose forced Elite, forced Spartan, or player choice for each team ourselves. Leave player model forcing in for the hardcore playlists or whatever.

Don't think you'll ever see Elites in Reach matchmaking because they were specifically designed to be different from the Spartans, wouldn't make sense for them to be in matchmaking.

Just like evade was designed specifically for Elites, and...oh wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom