• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.
1965617_o.gif

What movie is this?

ElRenoRaven

You know I'll say here what I did there. It really is interesting to see a lot of people who hated on how the previous games looked coming around to them now that all the small details had to be stripped out to make Halo 4 look more amazing up close.

The halo games before always had a subtle beauty to them because you knew that everything you saw was real. If you could break out of the boundaries odds are you could find a way to get there. This made for a really amazing looking game that looked more alive. It also helped put you into the world you were in. With Halo 4 you may have a more close up beauty but this comes at a price. To me that price is a high one too. I feel when playing in Halo 4's world that it's like a scene on a set for a movie and not a living breathing world like Bungie's games.

It's a good looking game though. Just not in the same way. For some the trade offs are worth it. For me though I sit and ask myself if they really were. I still don't know to be honest with you. I tend to lean toward they aren't. In fact that may be one reason I've had a harder time losing myself in the world that 343 created. I keep seeing the small things that are there that make it feel more like a set and not a living breathing world. With Bungie's games I always felt like I really was there in a living breathing world.

Pop

Another 20 matches today. Two host migrations - maybe 3 or 4 games where I noticed lag, but it never got crazy, and one match of Infinity Slayer that started 3 vs 1 but filled with players before we took our first steps.

All the rest was warthoggin', killing frenzies in a nigh EMP-proof Banshee, some crazy 4 on 4 slayer matches on Harvest of all maps, and lots of teamwork and explosions. I saw one boltshotting camper who got nowhere, and a few camo campers hoping to get their CQC challenge XP only to fall victim to the classic hologram-reverse-assassination move.

This game is fucking awesome.

lol

Pretty much the complete opposite of what the majority has said on here. It's not that we're complaining about that stuff happening all the time, its the fact it happens period.

Black screen host migrations(sometimes taking minutes)in 2012? and Have you ever heard of such a halo game starting 3v1? I've had numerous games start uneven and never did JIP work. I see shiny armor, huge explosions and vehicles win you over. yuckk

Again AA's, no thx jeff

lol

Pretty much the complete opposite of what the majority has said on here.
Which is why I'm sharing what I see, which couldn't be farther from what most here seem to think is the standard.

343 changed something somewhere down the line because I used to experience a lot more migrations, but in the past two weeks or so its been a rare occurrence.

J10

Banned
Did anyone from Bungie ever speak on the decision to have the default guest emblems in Reach look like Patrick from Spongebob Squarepants?

Interesting, from Reddit:
I feel as if the AutoSentry doesn't get too much love in Halo 4, so here's a pretty cool tip for its usage. Use the BR in the same loadout! If your sentry hits the enemy even just once, you only have to hit them 4 times with your BR, including final headshot, to get the kill. If you use the DMR with the AutoSentry, you still have to hit them 5 times with the gun. Try it out!

Pop

Just played against 4 camo users on abandon.

Seriously fuck this game.
Halo is dead.

nah bro ADAPT!

Halo 4 core gameplay is solid but all the extra fluff added plus lack of features not working and legacy features from previous halos cut out makes H4 a painfully below average experience.

I'll give the people defending this game that H4 has a very solid core experience but other then that you guys are just terribly wrong. Let's not even get started about the lack of communication from 343i and the way it's being handled.

Havok

Is there any way to find out how many kills you've gotten with the Auto Sentry?
It won't count kills that the sentry assisted on, but Waypoint will show you how many straight-up Sentry kills you have per gametype variant in the War Games: Matchmaking tab, or per campaign level in the Campaign section. It appears like any other weapon would.

neoism

Passion made Halo CE and Halo 2.

Experience made Reach and Halo 4. (And a bunch of Millys)

The other difference not really even h3 could be in the group as them too...seems to me the less time they had the better the game was. lol 9 months for h1 and like a 11 for h2... H2 was my most disliked halo game..until 4. I did enjoy the MM way more.... goood thing for this post though ....all hope I had its gone lol
experience got us the guy who worked on socom PSP games to be lead multiplayer guy, and a guy who worked on the turok remake to be creative director.

less experience more passion pls
but I am comparing Bungie a great game developer to 343...

I'll give the people defending this game that H4 has a very solid core experience but other then that you guys are just terribly wrong. Let's not even get started about the lack of communication from 343i and the way it's being handled.
Lack of communication? Check.
Shipping an incomplete game? Check.
Sacrificing competitive options in custom games, either due to lack of bandwidth, or choice? Check.

I get ya. A lot of the complaints in here are more than well warranted, and most have been exhaustively explained.

But god damn if I'm not having a great time with what *is* there. The moment to moment gameplay feels good, executing a plan and having it succeed feels great, and getting your ass handed to you by a better team and figuring out what they did and incorporating that into your toolbox feels good too.

I've given each Halo versus multiplayer a try, since Halo 2, and none of them could hold my attention for long. It was a mixture of floaty movement, slow matchmaking, matches with uneven teams, betrayals and a need to study the maps and find dedicated players to roll with that led to me bailing out of all of them. Halo 4 is the first of the bunch that seems to have a nice difficulty and accessibility curve, all while making just about every action you do look and sound awesome.

Now if the top of that skill curve could be a game that ditches the randomness, requires map control and focuses on skill ranks, so be it. I could then still have my fun and dip my toes into that more competitive space if I had the time and inclination. Maybe 343 can explain it, but I don't see why they'd have to sacrifice one community for another.

Just played against 4 camo users on abandon.

Seriously fuck this game.
Halo is dead.
Oh yeah, camo sucks, big time. But when I run into teams that rely upon it I usually win. Its an annoying win though.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Lack of communication? Check.
Shipping an incomplete game? Check.
Sacrificing competitive options in custom games, either due to lack of bandwidth, or choice? Check.

I get ya. A lot of the complaints in here are more than well warranted, and most have been exhaustively explained.

But god damn if I'm not having a great time with what *is* there. The moment to moment gameplay feels good, executing a plan and having it succeed feels great, and getting your ass handed to you by a better team and figuring out what they did and incorporating that into your toolbox feels good too.

I've given each Halo versus multiplayer a try, since Halo 2, and none of them could hold my attention for long. It was a mixture of floaty movement, slow matchmaking, matches with uneven teams, betrayals and a need to study the maps and find dedicated players to roll with that led to me bailing out of all of them. Halo 4 is the first of the bunch that seems to have a nice difficulty and accessibility curve, all while making just about every action you do look and sound awesome.

Now if the top of that skill curve could be a game that ditches the randomness, requires map control and focuses on skill ranks, so be it. I could then still have my fun and dip my toes into that more competitive space if I had the time and inclination. Maybe 343 can explain it, but I don't see why they'd have to sacrifice one community for another.

But this is what most of us have been saying all along. There's absolutely NO reason they couldn't have served both casual and hardcore players. Just flip a few switches, turn off all the shitty shit, and give us a few playlists.

Is that really so difficult?

No offense meant toward you, and you're likely aware of it anyway, but a lack of desire to learn maps, callouts, weapon spawns and the like would put you in a more casual audience. Which is perfectly fine. Nobody has ever complained about the wealth of social playlists in Halo 3 that allowed anyone to dick around and have fun. But there's no real developmental roadblock that prevents them from having a set of ranked/hardcore playlists. It was either a ridiculous oversight or a lack of care or some kind of creative direction stubbornness or the hand of MS or fucking SOMETHING that stopped them from allowing us to play a game without dumbass random fluff mechanics.

Sure, I still play the game. It's frustrating at times but I can still hop into a game with my buddies and wreck shit like my last 4v4 game in which I got 34 kills thanks to shotgun->overshield->shotgun ordnance. But the game is lacking the ability to give me that absolute joy or match to match tension. It's not Halo to me. You're not wrong to enjoy it. There's nothing wrong with the game except that they're telling us it's Halo.

But this is what most of us have been saying all along.
Sortof ;P

I see two sides of HaloGAF - those who want people to appreciate what has been lost, and how that changes things, and those who want people to appreciate whats new, and how that changes things.

But yeah, I don't see why 343 can't provide for both. Cutting them some slack for the holidays seems reasonable, but if the new year comes and they don't acknowledge the competitive community than I'll agree with you guys that 343 is beyond tone deaf.

Rev3rb

Wtf at JiP.

Kid playing music through his mic.
3 minutes left in the game.
3-0 in CTF.
What.

Interesting... last few times it's happened to me, it's placed me in games that had just started. Maybe they couldn't find a "proper" match for you so they just randomly threw you into one.

It'd be nice because while I love the spectator capabilities being shown here, the gameplay is boring.

Anybody who thinks Halo 4 plays anything like COD should watch that stream ^^^.

Its not boring at all, its different.

They do play a bit similar in that the team strats and communication they play similar with the objectives, awareness is a major factor, weapon choice.

These maps are brilliant. Each piece has such a set purpose. The lines of sight are great.

Cool that Crimsix is Pro Halo and CoD. Impressive.

Well I don't know if Pro Halo exists anymore.

Yea my buddy on Facebook from Halo 2 along time ago Clayster was posting the link he plays at events for Halo and CoD. Its pretty neat to see.

Its not boring at all, its different.
Touche.

Its just seeing them all crouch or go prone, point their sights to the nearest doorway or alleyway and then... wait. The engagements themselves are over in a heartbeat too.

That's COD yes, but I'm not sure it makes for a great spectator sport.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Touche.

Its just seeing them all crouch or go prone, point their sights to the nearest doorway or alleyway and then... wait. The engagements themselves are over in a heartbeat too.

I'm watching my brother play right now. He uses stun grenades and runs around with only a golden knife.

Will the knife be equipable in Halo 5?

Fotos

Touche.

It is pretty boring to watch. They show the screens of each player and they are just staring at shit waiting for people to go by. I like to play COD once in a while but i can't watch it.

Take it back. Black Ops 2's maps are absolutely horrible.
They are all close quarters shit with one long sightline for snipers. Thats like every map.

Tawpgun

Hahahaha

ep2an.png

I don't know what direction the next Halo OT's will take, but if there's anything I want continued from this one is a hall of fame on the OP of recent HaloGAF news in forms of pictures and posts.

Literally noone is standing still waiting for people in hallways.

I feel you are all recycling CoD trash talk ism's. And not even watching this lol. I'm sorry but your hate is just blind.

Both are great games, CoD is doing something great though.

DeadNames

Banned
They dont look as good as Halo's but they sure have a lot of thought going into them.

No way man. Plaza is an absolute garbage map. As is Raid and a few others. Express and Standoff are pretty good though.

Yeah Blops 2's maps are pretty rough. The spawning doesn't help.

The first Black Ops had some really good maps though.

This. Black Ops 1 had some solid maps. Even the worst ones (Summit) are better than most of Black Ops 2's maps.

Fracas

#fuckonami
My main issue with Blops 2 maps is the sheer number of entrances and pathways. Combat is directed nowhere, and it encourages running and gunning instead of tactical movement. It obviously doesn't affect high level play though. Like someone here said, most of the maps are a maze with one sniper spot with a long line of sight.

I thought you hated Halo 4?

Well I'm keeping my opinion out of it. :)

A lot of others like both games. They both sold a bunch. I'd classify them all as good games. God I wish Halo tried more things though this would be so nice in Halo. Make tournaments a lot easier.

Ryaaan14

Banned
They should add in Forge remakes of the COD maps in the SWAT playlist.

Sure they may not look as good in grey but they sure have a lot of thought going into them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom