• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach's Forge Mode Revealed

zumphry

Banned
images.aspx

I wonder where that door leads. Hmm.

New stuff+remakes+maps not able to be made in Halo 3 being able to be made in Reach=Happy panda.

New vehicle reminds me of the Shadow shown here in a old Halo trailer from before it was on the Xbox.

soldat7

UltimaPooh said:
Also while the list of maps is currently small there could be variations within them similar to Forge World, in which there are different maps inside larger maps.

Yes, but as has been pointed out already, we don't want to dance in rivers and flowers all day long. We want real, bonafide Reach maps in addition to the awesome Forge World. It's criminal to ship an FPS with fewer than a dozen MP maps these days. Thank you DLC
$$$

FilthyLies said:
Man, as awesome as Forge World is, I was hoping for more "real" maps than this. Having professional artists give each playspace a unique look really adds something. Having such complete control over geometry is nice, but the samey visual aesthetic will get old pretty fast I bet. I'm already good with never seeing a Sandbox map again and we've only had that a year :lol

Oh well, I'm sure what we do get will be quality. Hope you can Forge up Invasion maps- there's TONS you could do with that.
Texture sets DLC, gogogo.

soldat7 said:
Yes, but as has been pointed out already, we don't want to dance in rivers and flowers all day long. We want real, bonafide Reach maps in addition to the awesome Forge World. It's criminal to ship an FPS with fewer than a dozen MP maps these days. Thank you DLC
$$$

Not all the maps are going to have rivers.

Really the only thing that I would want out of new levels is cool new skyboxes to look at... The rest of it is pretty much similar to all other levels like it, they are either Human, Forerunner, Flood, or Covenant.

Llyranor said:
Can you make firefight maps with forge?

No.

soldat7

CadetMahoney said:
It might do halo 3 numbers, if they market it right.

I hope so, but a lot of the people I work with are confused about exactly what Reach is after ODST.

UltimaPooh said:
Not all the maps are going to have rivers.

Really the only thing that I would want out of new levels is cool new skyboxes to look at... The rest of it is pretty much similar to all other levels like it, they are either Human, Forerunner, Flood, or Covenant.

I love the idea of Forge World, don't get me wrong. I understand that there are multiple areas and ways to make them not feel 'samey'. However, one of Halo's strengths has been in the sheer number and variety of multiplayer maps. 9 maps is way, way too few to launch with, and I think we've seen at least 6-7 of them already. That would be incredibly disappointing.

ElRenoRaven

You know. LIke I said at HBO I'm in shock. To see everything Bungie has shown us so far and know that there is more not shown just floors me.

To accomplish what they have done is amazing. They've included everything we could have hoped for then some. Forge World is just beyond amazing.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Also we will be able to make higher quality maps much more quickly - I just hope the budget is a lot larger than I hope it is... Say... Create a map like colossus with room to spare - if not I hope a blank square map is on the way

As well as simple geometric shapes with nothing but a simple texture ala lockout type of stuff so we can create incredibly complex maps

The budget sucks because of that, needless geometry on the objects I want which cause erratic effects with grenades, etc as well as needless specular and bump effects

Layout is far more important than anything else.

As cool as this looks, its also kind of sad that this is the best map editor we'll probably get this generation on consoles. Meaning, really very limited. Sure it's a step up from Forge 1, but it's not really a true map editor at all.

Drakken

Woohoo! @ the Ascension, Sanctuary, and Lockout remakes.

Forge World looks unbelievable. Can't wait to see what kind of crazy stuff people come up with.

EazyB said:
It's going to be a pretty solid tool just because Bungie's used it to create quality map variants. They'd see where it's lacking and add the feature to accommodate for it. I feel like they've cheated a bit with many of the present pieces being completely modeled off of large chunks of the original maps but at least that'll make the remakes solid and some of they can be used in custom maps because many of those pieces are classic Halo rooms seen in multiple maps.

Yeah, I do think it's kinda weird (yet awesome at the same time) that they added structures and objects found on old Halo maps.

But at least we'll be able to essentially recreate any map we want now. :)

One thing I'm kinda bummed about is how there's pretty much only one aesthetic: Forerunner objects with Halo scenery. Is it too crazy to assume there will be other Forge Worlds with different aesthetics?

:D

EDIT: Copied from other thread. :p

-Yeti said:
One thing I'm kinda bummed about is how there's pretty much only one aesthetic: Forerunner objects with Halo scenery. Is it too crazy to assume there will be other Forge Worlds with different aesthetics?
I think it's inevitable post-release.

Look forward to shelling out 800 points for CovvieWorld and RustWorld respectively.

Shake Appeal said:
I think it's inevitable post-release.

Look forward to shelling out 800 points for CovvieWorld and RustWorld respectively.

Those would definitely be worth it in my opinion.

I imagine if CovieWorld were real, it would just be a Flag Ship with tons of different rooms to Forge in. Also, you would have the ability to go outside of the Ship and forge in Space around it.

CadetMahoney said:
It might do halo 3 numbers, if they market it right.
I'm talking quality-wise.
urk said:
The leap from the top of the Spire, Falcon or otherwise, makes my butthole pucker.
Oh my.
Neuromancer said:
As cool as this looks, its also kind of sad that this is the best map editor we'll probably get this generation on consoles. Meaning, really very limited. Sure it's a step up from Forge 1, but it's not really a true map editor at all.
What we're getting, plus all the other stuff we're getting, this is so freakin' amazing. I've never seen a game packed with so much content.

Also, I'm not troubled by the lack of maps. Forge is going to fill up the lack of maps pretty damn quickly. And because of the number of maps, I have no worries about campaign.

Ramirez

Dax01 said:
I'm talking quality-wise.

Oh my.

Also, I'm not troubled by the lack of maps. Forge is going to fill up the lack of maps pretty damn quickly. And because of the number of maps, I have no worries about campaign.

I think people are more bummed about the lack of distinct locations than the actual number of maps.

feel

This is so ridiculous. Considering what the community did with the shitty tools of the past, we can't even dream the stuff that we will be seeing a year after this release.

Can't wait to spend hours fooling around on Forge World while chatting with friends.

Oh Bungie... <3

GhaleonEB

Paraphrasing from the Gamespot video, any object can be the gametype objective. So taking the example of the Warthog being the hill in KotH, it could also be the flag in CTF,to snag and return.

Look forward to hearing more about what's behind that "Gametype" setting in the Forge lobby. "Basic Editing" was the only one we saw.

I heard something about a Day/Night setting, which would be awesome.
It really looks like they've answered almost all of my map-making requests.

Add in some sort of weather effects or particle fields and it will be everything :D

I am going to spend a TON of time in this.

That said: I made a few maps in Halo 3 but I didn't really have many to share them with. Is there a good setup for doing that with HaloGAF? I'd love to make maps and get some good feedback, and in return help test the maps of others as well.

UltimaPooh said:
Wow at that mist.

So maybe weather controls in forge?
Nah, you can't Forge Firefight and Overlook didn't make it into the final game as a competitive MP map according to the list we saw. Likely Bungie artists just gave it another pass.

FilthyLies said:
Nah, you can't Forge Firefight and Overlook didn't make it into the final game as a competitive MP map according to the list we saw. Likely Bungie artists just gave it another pass.

Yeah, I just realized that.

GhaleonEB said:
Paraphrasing from the Gamespot video, any object can be the gametype objective. So taking the example of the Warthog being the hill in KotH, it could also be the flag in CTF,to snag and return.

Look forward to hearing more about what's behind that "Gametype" setting in the Forge lobby. "Basic Editing" was the only one we saw.

I'm still expecting a competitive mode in Forge.

Striker

timetokill said:
That said: I made a few maps in Halo 3 but I didn't really have many to share them with. Is there a good setup for doing that with HaloGAF? I'd love to make maps and get some good feedback, and in return help test the maps of others as well.
We did vaguely for Halo 3, but Reach will demolish it.

Plus we'll be able to tag our maps and put them in our File Shares. It's going to make sharing, downloading, and playing others so much easier. Maybe we'll be able to rate maps based off downloads.

dhan

Pennybags said:
Txmrm.jpg

What is this?

I guess must be this
The Covenant have another trick up their sleeves, however. It's called the Revenant and it behaves a bit like a Ghost crossed with a Wraith tank. This two-seater can boost around and is rather agile, but it fires the massive plasma balls that the Wraith tanks dish out. It's pretty devastating, but it offers little protection for the rider.
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/110/1107237p2.html

Please tell me there is some way to make a custom barrier?

If I want to re-make blood gulch I do not want people flying out of the map into different areas.

Is there any fix for this?

Otherwise looks awesome.

GhaleonEB said:
Absolutely. Kills for resources, set the number of Monitors on each team, etc.

Yep, with everything Bungie's shown us so far and the spiel in Cinema Paradiso Vidoc back in 2007, I firmly believe Bungie's got this one covered.

Devin Olsen said:
Please tell me there is some way to make a custom barrier?

If I want to re-make blood gulch I do not want people flying out of the map into different areas.

Is there any fix for this?

Otherwise looks awesome.

Not sure what article I just read it in, but I'm pretty sure you can set up 'get back to the battlefield in 10 seconds' and instakill parameters.

Found it. http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/110/1107237p2.html

Cage also shows off another Forge addition -- kill boxes and safe zones. The same tools Bungie uses to set boundaries are now part of the Forge tool set. You can create volumes that, when exited, will warn players to quickly return or face death. Likewise, you can set spaces that if passed through at all create instant death, thereby enabling things like death pits even with armor abilities like jet packs turned on.

Striker said:
We did vaguely for Halo 3, but Reach will demolish it.

Plus we'll be able to tag our maps and put them in our File Shares. It's going to make sharing, downloading, and playing others so much easier. Maybe we'll be able to rate maps based off downloads.

Yeah, that'll be great.

It would just be nice to have a set place for us to talk Forge, share maps and give tips, set up test/play times for Forgers to test each others maps, etc.

Maybe a dedicated thread for it?

feel

Since they thought of everything, I hope they also included an option for the map makers to take a picture of the map to use as the map's thumbnail icon.

Top Bottom