• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach's Forge Mode Revealed

feel

Yeah, this map situation is confusing, wasn't Invasion stuff like Boneyard also supposed to be used for slayer or flag? Only in customs or will it show up in matchmaking?? Not forgeable?? Can't wait till the game comes out so it all makes sense.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
WAIT WAIT WAIT. Bungie guy in Gamespot video says that there will be 6 different Forge World variants available at launch. Does that mean environments or are we restrained to the forerunner architecture and Halo?

enzo_gt said:
WAIT WAIT WAIT. Bungie guy in Gamespot video says that there will be 6 different Forge World variants available at launch. Does that mean environments or are we restrained to the forerunner architecture and Halo?
He means six maps created using Forge World will be in the MM rotation- the only Forge World is the Forerunner one.

Schmitty

EazyB said:
If the map select UI is anything like all the other list UI than there'd be a little arrow indicating where the rest of the list is. Don't know how I'd feel if these were the only maps that shipped with the game. Sure, the forge remakes are as good as they ever were, but it still seems like a pretty limited amount.
As excited as I was earlier about the Forge stuff, it really has put a damper on my hype somewhat

Ember128

I watched the video. I can only say this.

That was so fucking beautiful. This is why nothing will ever be the Halo Killer. People attempt to make it to the level of Halo, and then the standard gets raised to one that is mind boggling to even try to match.

6e23358ec05985db3a83bab07338907e1230933907_full.jpg

feel

enzo_gt said:
6 maps in that same environment. For example one in canyon, one in the cave, one on the island, etc

GhaleonEB

Letters said:
Yeah, this map situation is confusing, wasn't Invasion stuff like Boneyard also supposed to be used for slayer or flag? Only in customs or will it show up in matchmaking?? Not forgeable?? Can't wait till the game comes out so it all makes sense.
It think it goes like this:

Multiplayer maps: support all game types and Forge-able

Firefight maps: supports Firefight only, nonForge-able.

The MP map count could either have been truncated for that screen, or really be that small because there's a separate set of Firefight maps that ate into the resources to make maps, and they had to split them. I'd like to see more as well.

Striker

Letters said:
6 maps in that same environment. For example one in canyon, one in the cave, one on the island, etc
Yes, so that shouldn't be too bad. I'm just curious on the other map forefront. We know what we have in Powerhouse and Swordbase. Curious to see how the others are. BTB specifically jumps to me because that's going to be a god-damn blast to play...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Letters said:
Damn. Still hyped but damn I would have loved more environments, and a completely blank slate perhaps too.

szaromir

Banned
I wonder what 'Classic Halo' variance is? Maybe there's a slice of entertainment containing Halo 1's Halo level (or part of it, maybe opening?)

Hey You

ultron87 said:
As long as they put good community stuff into Matchmaking the new kinds of fun will never end.
Indeed.

Atlas was a good start for Halo 3, but was shortlived.

GhaleonEB said:
I was only sort of joking a while back when I said that would be their final "fuck you" to Microsoft for how they man handled Halo 3's DLC. Looks like they actually did it. :lol
:lol :lol

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Hooooooooly shit.

You Bungie guys outdid yourselves.

Can't fucking wait for this game.

edit: Looking through Forge changes again, I again just want to express....holy shit.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Halo's conceptual target vision WILL be achieved with Reach.

God mighty game right here folks, personally I haven't been excited for a halo game since 2... This game will be monstrous from all fucking angles.

The god tier Halo game of forever. And dare I even say console fps of forever.

What the fuck have you done bungie?

Jironimo

Neo Member
enzo_gt said:
It works like this:

Forge World has the following main areas: Coliseum, Canyon, Island, Pocket, Pillar.

Forge World also has smaller observable areas like the Lagoon (waterfall) and the Coastline (beach).

Forge World Variants shipping on the disc
  1. Forge World = default open map with all areas accessible
  2. Asylum = Sanctuary in the Pocket
  3. Griffball Court = area in the Coliseum
  4. Hemorrhage = Blood Gulch/Coagulation in the Canyon
  5. Paradiso = new map on the Island
  6. Pinnacle = Ascension on the Pillar
  7. The Cage = new map at the Lagoon

Observed Variants (will probably be put out through matchmaking)
  • Wizard/Warlock in the Coliseum
  • Lockout/Blackout at the Lagoon

Ghal you may want to put this on the OP to avoid confusion on what's coming on the disc.

Hey You

Here are some Q&A's Posted on BNet:

Answered by Ferrex aka Tyson Green:

Posted by: Pokezilla Linked
Is that what it meant by "Basic Editing"? Is that the new term for "All Gametypes"?

ferrex: Yes, exactly. (I was hoping that question would come up in this thread, I've seen it a few times.)

Sorry, there is no corresponding "Advanced Editing" gametype. Basic Editing is already pretty Advanced. :)

Posted by: Blaster73
How much inspiration for Forge 2.0 came from what users asked for and what they have created?

ferrex:A lot of it. Most of it. The Forge is 99% for the community, so we really took a good swing at building it "to spec", based on what the community was already doing with the Forge in H3.

Posted by: the pib
I noticed in one video, when someone was spawning a Falcon, that the limit for Scorpions was 2. Normally that would be fine but Forge World is large enough that having even six tanks on the map would not be unreasonable. Is 2 Scorpions the absolute max, or were there already some on the map?

ferrex:There were some on the map already. The maximum number of Scorpions on Forge World is *checks map* 4.

Posted by: BK Burger Boy
So say, if you built an objective gametype that utilized all 5 of the map segments, you would have enough budget to create extensive structures on each part withing the limits, or is the budget intended to be a lot more localized to one area?

ferrex: You wouldn't be able to build, say, Lockout in 3-4 places on the map. But you could certainly set up some Hemorrhage bases in a bunch of places on the map.

You can actually build quite a bit and pretty complicated structures pretty cheaply, so if you're imagining some grand battles across the entire length of the map, going from base to base, I'm pretty sure you could manage it.

Posted by: vHyDroCiTy
Can somebody please answer this?
Is there an UNDO button?! I hate accidentally moving/deleting something, thus making me recreate it.

ferrex: There is not. :(

(Shocking fact herein revealed: we don't even have an Undo button on our internal tools! It's maddening! But it's also really complicated to bolt on at this point...)

Fortunately, object positioning is so, so so much better than H3 that it's usually pretty easy to get that object right back where you want it. Working with Rotation Constraints and Nudges makes it trivial most of the time.

I'll update with more later.

Kibbles

Spaceman Spiff said:
New screens look shit hot.

Ascension returns as Pinnacle:

Reach_MP_Pinnacle04.jpg

:D
Too bad you can't add some fog in there to help give it the Ascension feel. Maybe a cloudy day weather effect too.

Striker

Kibbles said:
Too bad you can't add some fog in there to help give it the Ascension feel. Maybe a cloudy day weather effect too.
Curious on the Banshee port, if we'll have a Banshee. And if so, how far can a person pilot away from the structure without breaking the game or getting killed by a countdown?

Ramirez

Striker said:
Curious on the Banshee port, if we'll have a Banshee. And if so, how far can a person pilot away from the structure without breaking the game or getting killed by a countdown?

The best games of Ascension were played without the Banshee, so hopefully it's not there at all.

Sill4

Ramirez said:
The best games of Ascension were played without the Banshee, so hopefully it's not there at all.
Reach Banshee is not as crazy as the Halo 2 banshee though. Could work well.

Kuroyume

Banned
The latest video left me bored. It's essentially Halo 3's forge all over again only this time the glitching is now a feature? Legos all over again? OKAY How about doing stuff to the earth? I was expecting more.

Kibbles

EazyB said:
Here's a link for those wondering: http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=46571259

He also confirms that the max amount of people in Forge is 8 for those knuckleheads wanting to turn Forge into a gametype.
But, there are filters similar to the ones we introduced in Sandbox, a few of which do a pretty good job of making it look like night, late afternoon, and some other visual effects.
Yes! Although filters were first introduced with the Legendary Map Pack, not Sandbox. :p I hope they aren't distracting photo filters and ones you can actually use in gameplay to make it look like a different time of day.

big ander

Kibbles said:
Yes! Although filters were first introduced with the Legendary Map Pack, not Sandbox. :p I hope they aren't distracting photo filters and ones you can actually use in gameplay to make it look like a different time of day.
Yeah, but all you could do with them in the LMP was make Ghost Town look like a western. :p

GhaleonEB

big ander said:
Ghal's right though, Forge can be a ton of fun to mess around in.
Also:

9tef6e.jpg

Both a Game Type and Game Options settings in the pre-game lobby, the same as Multiplayer and Firefight. Bummed about the player cap, but it's understandable.

From Ferrix's last post from that thread:

Ok guys, I'm at my cutoff. I've gotta run, but I'll check in tomorrow and perhaps wade into another thread. There may be some more stuff to talk about then. :)
!!!

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Kuroyume said:
The latest video left me bored. It's essentially Halo 3's forge all over again only this time the glitching is now a feature? Legos all over again? OKAY How about doing stuff to the earth? I was expecting more.

I'm sorry, did you not see Forge World?

Hype has gone from the feint light of a sparkler, to the beam of a flashlight, to the brightness of a flare, to a rocket leaving the atmosphere, to now the ending to 2001. GOTF.

big ander

ZZMitch said:
I think he means like Far Cry 2 level landscape editing.
I thought the live blog said you could add/delete certain types of land and rocks.
It's definitely not FC2 scale, but Forge 2.0 has massive potential.

Trasher

GhaleonEB said:
Also:

Both a Game Type and Game Options settings in the pre-game lobby, the same as Multiplayer and Firefight. Bummed about the player cap, but it's understandable.

From Ferrix's last post from that thread:

Ok guys, I'm at my cutoff. I've gotta run, but I'll check in tomorrow and perhaps wade into another thread. There may be some more stuff to talk about then. :)
!!!
At least we have a pretty good idea of why they thought about adjusting the player count now. :lol

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Pretty awesome.

Still want to know why there is a Brute in that poster. Or has that already been answered?

Kibbles

big ander said:
Yeah, but all you could do with them in the LMP was make Ghost Town look like a western. :p
What are the ones in Sandbox like? I assumed they were the same, I don't think I ever tried them on Sandbox.

Jeez, I'm interested to see how 343 tries to 1-up Forge in Halo 4.

Trasher

God, I still can't get over how amazing this Forge World is. I bet when you enter it the map is filled with projections of your subconscious that you can battle!

Sill4

Trasher said:
God, I still can't get over how amazing this Forge World is. I bet when you enter it the map is filled with projections of your subconscious that you can battle!
I'm excited for all the platforming mini- games that can be made, tbh.

Jetpack adventures across Forge World!

Super Halo Galaxy!

user_nat said:
Hmm.. is to. Probably should have looked a bit closer.

Oh well.
Lot of people thought it was a Brute at first, including me. The Elites are just THAT much more Brutal looking than they were in past games!

GhaleonEB

Reach_ForgeworldObjects.jpg

I don't know how I didn't notice the ginormous wall piece in the background, but I went to look for it after Ferrix mentioned it in that Q&A thread. That's a floor big enough for a small arena map, in once piece. Yay.

EazyB

Banned
Kibbles said:
Jeez, I'm interested to see how 343 tries to 1-up Forge in Halo 4.
If they wanted to really focus on a map creator they'd have no problem 1-upping forge. Huge things it's missing:
  • Terrain manipulation
  • Solid editor/creator
  • Texture assignment
  • Realtime lighting engine with time of day
  • AI in user-generated environments
  • Water manipulation

Forge 2.0 is pretty impressive but it still pales in comparison to a many of FC2's console functions let alone a legitimate PC editor. I don't want to come off too harsh as I do like what I see with Forge 2.0 it's got a long way to go still.

343 could easily match FC2, the hard part is devoted that much time on a map editor while still delivering as full a package as Bungie's giving us with Reach.

EazyB

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Reach_ForgeworldObjects.jpg

I don't know how I didn't notice the ginormous wall piece in the background, but I went to look for it after Ferrix mentioned it in that Q&A thread. That's a floor big enough for a small arena map, in once piece. Yay.
Yeah, I mentioned it a page back:
Structure goes to:
63wwox.jpg

Placeable grids (ala Sandbox's skybox) is really neat.

But like I said, I think it's more a forge tool than a piece of game geometry, not sure why it docks you $100 to use it though. You'll easily be able to snap it perfectly flat and set it where you want to create multiple objects on the same level. Think of how much easier it would have been to use this on your one two-level sandbox floor map. :lol

That's not to say there won't be real people of geometry you can use as giant floors to save time and resources. At the very least those huge walls seen on the Warlock and BG remake could make for some huge floor/walls/ceilings.

Sill4

EazyB said:
If they wanted to really focus on a map creator they'd have no problem 1-upping forge. Huge things it's missing:
  • Terrain manipulation
  • Solid editor/creator
  • Texture assignment
  • Realtime lighting engine with time of day
  • AI in user-generated environments
  • Water manipulation

Forge 2.0 is pretty impressive but it still pales in comparison to a many of FC2's console functions let alone a legitimate PC editor. I don't want to come off too harsh as I do like what I see with Forge 2.0 it's got a long way to go still.

343 could easily match FC2, the hard part is devoted that much time on a map editor while still delivering as full a package as Bungie's giving us with Reach.
I just don't think a map creator was Bungie's aim. They have always called Forge a map editor.

Like you said, putting a full fledged map maker in would likely affect the overall package. I'm certain if Bungie wanted to bring us a full map maker and it was high on their priority list, then they would have.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
So many fun ideas going through my head right now for different maps to create in the Forge World, surprisingly a lot revolving around Stock Pile. I think with the push and pull mechanic there will a lot of different spaces and encounters to create. :D

Top Bottom