• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach's Forge Mode Revealed

soldat7 said:
Oh well, I hope we at least get a pack of 3 maps every 6 months for $15. That'd be sweet. I don't want to be waitin' for Activision for that treatment.

Did you actually sit down and think through what you said? Really? Ugh.

Kibbles

Do the things in the middle on Ascension still move?

I noticed a camera floating in the forge world walkthrough on gamespot. I'm guessing you can take your mainmenu picture then. =)

Church RvB said:
Yep, with everything Bungie's shown us so far and the spiel in Cinema Paradiso Vidoc back in 2007, I firmly believe Bungie's got this one covered.

Not sure what article I just read it in, but I'm pretty sure you can set up 'get back to the battlefield in 10 seconds' and instakill parameters.

Found it. http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/110/1107237p2.html
Awesome.

I am truly impressed with all that I have seen from Reach so far.

They tweaked the jump height and seem to be serious about making this game their absolute best.

I am looking forward to getting my hands on it at PAX, and then a week~ later when it comes out!

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
bungie needs to use the halo 2 map release window instead of halo 3s

so after a while the maps becomes free... and required. so we don't get stuck with useless maps like avalanche... wasting space on my hard drive

BloodySinner said:
Did you actually sit down and think through what you said? Really? Ugh.

He's joking!:lol

DopeyFish said:
bungie needs to use the halo 2 map release window instead of halo 3s

so after a while the maps becomes free... and required. so we don't get stuck with useless maps like avalanche... wasting space on my hard drive

Would be awesome. Too bad it's up to M$.

Bungie found a way into free infinite dlc.

We will have all sorts of previous-halo remakes within a few days from launch.

They just have to collect the best of them and put them into default playlists.

So everyone downloads the maps and we have a shit-ton of maps to play.

NOKYARD

DopeyFish said:
I just hope the budget is a lot larger than I hope it is... Say... Create a map like colossus with room to spare
Did you notice the budget in the video? Over $9000 left on a map with plenty of objects already placed.

Church RvB said:
Thanks for that, i was about to complain that they need to provide kill volumes so players can't hide on the ledges under the Ascension remake.

Reach_MP_Pinnacle04.jpg

So happy the building blocks are from the newer Forerunner catalogue. I have always preferred working with the cleaner pieces from Avalanche as opposed to the worn out bits from Sandbox.

Good to see they included HUGE pieces so we don't have to blow the budget on a large floor or wall.

The new controls are an almost spot on match to my wish list. No more sawing objects back and forth with my shitty old controllers. Nudge, nudge!

Also. it's good to know my position as Grifball's mapmaker is still secure. :lol
Reach_Forgeworld01.jpg

No offence! It looks fine. Really, it does!
:lol

Kibbles

-Yeti said:
Yeah, I do think it's kinda weird (yet awesome at the same time) that they added structures and objects found on old Halo maps.

But at least we'll be able to essentially recreate any map we want now. :)

One thing I'm kinda bummed about is how there's pretty much only one aesthetic: Forerunner objects with Halo scenery. Is it too crazy to assume there will be other Forge Worlds with different aesthetics?

:D

EDIT: Copied from other thread. :p
Agreed, although like EazyB posted earlier it looks like you can change object color so that should help make things better. Still having the same grassy scenery is going to get old though. Looks like weather controls will be in too though... can a Bungie employee confirm?

GhaleonEB

Regarding the budget: from the Gamespot video, Forge World has a $10,000 initial budget. The list of Building Blocks were $10 each, and the really huge Buildings were $150 each. So if you did nothing but Building pieces, the max is 66. They seemed scaled roughly to the same cost as Halo 3; I was looking at some of the Building items Shishka pulled out, and they would easily take a good 15-20 pieces in Halo 3, at $5 each. Seems like a pretty decent budget.

metareferential said:
I was only sort of joking a while back when I said that would be their final "fuck you" to Microsoft for how they man handled Halo 3's DLC. Looks like they actually did it. :lol

I plan on making a Headlong remake. I'm going to stay as true as Forge will allow me. Only change will be Man Cannon instead of a teleporter, and obviously focus rifle for beam rifle, concussion rifle for brute shot, etc

Nutter

metareferential said:

We will have all sorts of previous-halo remakes within a few days from launch.

They just have to collect the best of them and put them into default playlists.

So everyone downloads the maps and we have a shit-ton of maps to play.

The only problem with that is, I do not want to play a midship that looks like warlock. I would rather have a proper covy themed midship. :)

StUnNeR H2K

Probably should have posted in this thread, but didn't know this one was up...

In the ViDoc at 4:50 a Spartan has the Evade ability, was this ever confirmed before? I know the BETA that Invasion would bug and the Spartans would spawn with the Elite abilities, but I don't think we ever saw a Spartan use it or be able to use it. I might have missed something, but I don't remember ever seeing a confirmation that Spartans could use it...

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Ghaleon, the buildings are linked in the gamespot video - you can only build 12 buildings (mix and match)

And btw I consider $10,000 to be... Not enough :p the maps I want to build would be ridiculous in scale... I already have an idea for a map but I already know I wouldn't finish half of it because of the budget constraints

That's what I hate so much with forge :(

Kibbles

Nutter said:
The only problem with that is, I do not want to play a midship that looks like warlock. I would rather have a proper covy themed midship. :)
Zealot = Heretic / Midship ??? =o

Ramirez

Kibbles said:
Zealot = Heretic / Midship ??? =o

No, more than likely the covie map seen in that last vidoc. I mean really, with only 9 maps, I don't want them to waste one of the slots on a map that I can fire up Halo 3 and play right now.

The only maps I think that have a shot at being remade are the ones that couldn't really be done with this new forge, Ivory Tower fits that bill because of the elevator. Stuff like Beaver Creek, Midship, etc. can easily be done in Forge by the right people.

Wizman23

Banned
I wonder if the same level of customization in forge island is also available on the other maps. For instance can you go into powerhouse and erase everything and attempt to build Lockout over the Cliff? Also where was the day/night option confirmed?

GhaleonEB

DopeyFish said:
Ghaleon, the buildings are linked in the gamespot video - you can only build 12 buildings (mix and match)
You're right, when he used one Building, all items in that category drop to 11 left. Hmm!

Nutter

I am not sure if Headlong will be possible. But you never know people might just do it.

Midship will be remade in forge no doubt, I just sort of hoped Bungie would have added in some Covy themed pieces as well.

ultron87

Game of Forever confirmed. :lol :lol

As long as they put good community stuff into Matchmaking the new kinds of fun will never end.

Kibbles

Letters said:
This is so ridiculous. Considering what the community did with the shitty tools of the past, we can't even dream the stuff that we will be seeing a year after this release.

Can't wait to spend hours fooling around on Forge World while chatting with friends.

Oh Bungie... <3
I'm not even going to try and think about the possibilities, it'll just hurt my head. People did crazy things with Forge. We don't even got the thing in our hands yet to fully know everything about it and it already sounds like it's going to bring crazy possibilities. I can't wait.

I also didn't even think about the possibility of them releasing DLC "CovieWorld", that would be nice.

Nutter

Kibbles said:
I'm not even going to try and think about the possibilities, it'll just hurt my head. People did crazy things with Forge. We don't even got the thing in our hands yet to fully know everything about it and it already sounds like it's going to bring crazy possibilities. I can't wait.

I also didn't even think about the possibility of them releasing DLC "CovieWorld", that would be nice.
:lol :lol

I didnt even think along those lines.

Imagine Covie World to be the innards of High Charity. :O *mind blown* Bungle make it happen.

EazyB

Banned
Some random things:

Your budget is $10,000, 10x the amount Sandbox had. It's a bit misleading though because the base price for many of the objects seem to be twice that of Halo 3 so 5x Sandbox is a better estimate. Then you see "buldings" which all seem to cost $150 which is the equivalent of 10 warthogs in Halo 3. That original variant they showed off, pictured below, seems to take up 2/3 of the budget. It's a decent sized map with many pieces but for some reason I expected the budget to be much greater. People wanting detailed remakes of large maps like Headlong may have to cut some corners to stay within the budget. The linking of all objects within a certain category puzzles me.

2wpqc7c.jpg

When floating around you have two options:
1) Tools
2) Place Object

Place object leads you here:
2ext3z5.jpg

Structure goes to:
63wwox.jpg

Placeable grids (ala Sandbox's skybox) is really neat.

Building blocks:
1zoz4ew.jpg

While holding a block these are your options:
2uravdd.jpg

Buildings list:
9zt5bc.jpg

"Special tools"
124zp1g.jpg

I'm really curious about those tilting worlds, that looked really crazy.

I'm also wondering how we can setup invasion games in this, I bet some nucking futz stuff could happen.

So goddamn pumped.

EazyB said:
Some random things:

Your budget is $10,000, 10x the amount Sandbox had. It's a bit misleading though because the base price for many of the objects seem to be twice that of Halo 3 so 5x Sandbox is a better estimate. Then you see "buldings" which all seem to cost $150 which is the equivalent of 10 warthogs in Halo 3. That original variant they showed off, pictured below, seems to take up 2/3 of the budget. It's a decent sized map with many pieces but for some reason I expected the budget to be much greater. People wanting detailed remakes of large maps like Headlong may have to cut some corners to stay within the budget. The linking of all objects within a certain category puzzles me.

2wpqc7c.jpg

When floating around you have two options:
1) Tools
2) Place Object

Place object leads you here:
2ext3z5.jpg

Structure goes to:
63wwox.jpg

Building blocks:
1zoz4ew.jpg

While holding a block these are your options:
2uravdd.jpg

Buildings list:
9zt5bc.jpg

"Special tools"
124zp1g.jpg
Still have a budget? :(

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
electricpirate said:
I'm really curious about those tilting worlds, that looked really crazy.

I'm also wondering how we can setup invasion games in this, I bet some nucking futz stuff could happen.

So goddamn pumped.

This, very interesting. Creating whole maps in different areas of the Forge World that become accessible in the different phases of invasion would be incredibly awesome. :D

Kraut

Fuuuuuuck. I got discouraged using Halo 3 forge because of the clunkiness compared to PC editors, but this looks like it will be the most approachable for a console. Definitely intend to put some time into this.

Trasher

Nutter said:
:lol :lol

I didnt even think along those lines.

Imagine Covie World to be the innards of High Charity. :O *mind blown* Bungle make it happen.
Gigantic Covenant Capital Ship World

szaromir said:
Where was it confirmed that there would only be 9 maps?
mapticles.jpg

From the vidoc. The Forgeworld variants will be in MM, but you'll only see nine unique aesthetics. Keep in mind Boneard is Invasion only as well (I think?), so that's a pretty limited palette.

Sill4

We need clarification the whether we can forge Invasion or not.

Like...right now. So hyped. Fuck you Bungie, I was trying to not get hyped....fuck.

GhaleonEB

FilthyLies said:
mapticles.jpg

From the vidoc. The Forgeworld variants will be in MM, but you'll only see nine unique aesthetics. Keep in mind Boneard is Invasion only as well (I think?), so that's a pretty limited palette.
Nope, all game types. It was just used as the Invasion test bed in the Beta.
Sill4 said:
We need clarification the whether we can forge Invasion or not.
Yes, you can.

Also, early in the vidoc (0:43) they show the Race gametype, some Spartans, some Elites...and five vehicles with no one in them. I assume they're invisible players, but the vehicles exhibit shield flare, just like a player does. Not sure what to make of it.

Striker

Curious to how many of these maps will fit the bill for expected playlists.

For instance, BTB. Guarantee we'll have Hemorrhage as our homage BTB map. But what else? Sure we can make others. My question is will any of the unknown or not discussed maps large enough? There needs to be three to four large based maps for BTB. Halo 2 shipped with Waterworks, Coagulation, and Headlong, but still could have used Burial Mounds and Colossus in some regard. This seems limited in quantity. Here's hoping there's enough and I'm just being a dweeb.

szaromir

Banned
FilthyLies said:
mapticles.jpg

Could there be any non-Forgeable multiplayer maps? I would hope so, but don't believe it. Ah well, here's hoping for more freqquent map packs this time around.

EazyB

Banned
Schmitty said:
There could always be a few maps that start with A if they were to scroll up, right?
If the map select UI is anything like all the other list UI than there'd be a little arrow indicating where the rest of the list is. Don't know how I'd feel if these were the only maps that shipped with the game. Sure, the forge remakes are as good as they ever were, but it still seems like a pretty limited amount.

Top Bottom