• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hardee's/Carl's Jr. CEO Andy Puzder will be named Trump's labor secretary

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
So we got a brain dead neurosurgeon, a carnie owner, and now an owner of fast food franchises. His cabinet reads like people he knows offhand vs vetting people who are right for the job. Inwonder if Papa John was considered for this position?

Breads

Banned
Oh cool. The guy who greenlit the 1400 calorie Monster Burger.

I love the monster burger. I love hardees.

geomon

104294-he-cant-keep-getting-away-with-SGL1.gif

VariantX

But that would require folks to admit they were wrong, and there are few things as un-American as admitting when you're wrong.

Thats one thing they seemed to identify with, voting for a guy who refused to publicly acknowledge even the possibility of being wrong on a subject.

Randomizer

Do any of these people have experience in politics? The majority of his cabinet seem incredibly under qualified and entirely out of their depth, just like himself I suppose.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
We're moving past horror and into comedy. Comedy-horror.

Trump is key that unlocks the nihilistic, dystopian science fiction mega-corp future. Where society is literally run like a corporation and everyone has to pay for air from vending machines.

It's not even the cool corporate dystopia like Shadowrun. Well, unless the volcanos suddenly start erupting. Don't rule out anything for 2016 just yet.

Thats one thing they seemed to identify with, voting for a guy who refused to publicly acknowledge even the possibility of being wrong on a subject.

The dirty secret of America is that while it markets itself as a principled Christian nation and the world's peacemaker, half the country loves a good bully whose response to criticism is POW! FISTO!

sans_pants

avec_pénis
Additionally, Puzder would never have to worry about an employee lawsuit again. Machines are “always polite, they always upsell, they never take a vacation, they never show up late, there’s never a slip-and-fall, or an age, sex, or race discrimination case.”

love it

It's great seeing all these excellent appointments. Trump really knows what he doing. He is putting the best men in the best positions. I bet America will see 30 million jobs get created next year. The Midwest really did make the right decision voting Trump, he has their back.

Snaku

Banned
Man, the Occupy Wallstreet movement truly was a tremendous failure on all fronts. Five years removed and the antithesis of OWS is now in complete control of all three branches of the federal government.

Air

Banned
I don't know the guy, but after reading up a little about him I can do is just lmao.

Middle America wanted a savior and all they got is a monster.

Everyone in Trump's cabinet has spent their entire lives enriching themselves at the expense of others. He'll hide some of the damage his administration does if he pushes through a large infrastructure package, but once those projects are finished, it will look like scorched earth and the Dems, once again, will be left to clean up the mess.

A direct hit to the $15 fast food worker movement. Trump literally fills his cabinet with people against every modern populist movement.

GhaleonEB

Education secretary who is doesn't like public education, EPA head who is a climate change denier, small business administration leader who knows nothing about small businesses, CEO who fights labor rights in charge of the department of labor.

I genuinely wonder if this is what his supporters expected when he said he was going to drain the swamp. The people that voted for him are going to get fucked over the hardest.

Skynet approves

Everyone in Trump's cabinet has spent their entire lives enriching themselves at the expense of others. He'll hide some of the damage his administration does if he pushes through a large infrastructure package, but once those projects are finished, it will look like scorched earth and the Dems, once again, will be left to clean up the mess.
And somehow take all the blame

Boylamite

My city was one of the pilot cities for Carl's Jr in Canada. Lasted a couple months, went tits up. Retroactive good news, I guess.

I am a firm believer in automation and think it can't really get here soon enough.

With this guy in charge though I'm starting to think maybe we can put it off a little bit.

Barzul

Education secretary who is doesn't like public education, EPA head who is a climate change denier, small business administration leader who knows nothing about small businesses, CEO who fights labor rights in charge of the department of labor.

I genuinely wonder if this is what his supporters expected when he said he was going to drain the swamp. The people that voted for him are going to get fucked over the hardest.

I mean I'm not sure how they could have expected differently. His transition team is filled with some of the most hardcore, fringe Republicans there are. They made their beds with voting for him.

UberTag

The funny part is that he'll deflect the blame on to the Democrats or Al Qaeda or immigrants and they'll believe it and re-elect him in 2020. After all, he'll be better than whatever Democrat candidate steps up to be demonized.

dy6176g2.png

So this guy ran a company that 60% of the times they were investigated they were found to have violated labor law
So 90% of the stores are franchisees and it still has a pretty good record when it comes to FLSA investigations? Not sure if this is supposed to be a slam on him or proof he's pretty good at managing the company.

I feel like that graph would be a lot better if it showed how many FLSA investigations happened per company per store. The percentage of investigations that found a real issue doesn't necessarily mean much unless each company is investigated equally.

Also lol at the people who thought trump wasn't going to appoint a ton of rich people. His entire campaign was about how great it would be to have rich people running the country. He's appointing CEOs instead of politicians and people in here are making fun of "drain the swamp"?

VariantX

The funny part is that he'll deflect the blame on to the Democrats or Al Qaeda or immigrants and they'll believe it and re-elect him in 2020. After all, he'll be better than whatever Democrat candidate steps up to be demonized.

Yep, just whip up another boogeyman for the voters and tell them that they'll protect them from that even though their party has all the power. It'll somehow be someone else's fault, somehow. And because people won't take 10 seconds to figure out how government works at a basic level, they'll likely succeed again.

tuxfool

Banned
Also lol at the people who thought trump wasn't going to appoint a ton of rich people. His entire campaign was about how great it would be to have rich people running the country. He's appointing CEOs instead of politicians and people in here are making fun of "drain the swamp"?
Well yes. They're the only people more liable to be corrupt than the politicians. Also people that are completely at odds with the task they're supposed to perform.

TylerD

Ben PennVerified account
‏@benjaminpenn
BREAKING: Hardee's/Carl's Jr. CEO Andy Puzder will be named Trump's labor secretary nomination. Announcement coming shortly.

Guy wants to automate fast food jobs.

http://fortune.com/2016/03/17/automate-fast-food/

Opposes minimum wage hikes

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/07/andy-puzder-minimum-wage_n_5563975.html

Not the full story on his views about automating fast food.

LA Times: http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-hiltzik-puzder-20160322-snap-htmlstory.html

Technology and automation: No, Puzder doesn't intend to "take humans out of the fast food equation," as Fortune had it. His remark about machines being so pliable was part of a longer exchange about the upsides and downsides of automation, the second part of which didn't get reported.

So he followed up with an op-ed in the Journal last week putting it on the record: "Customer service is still very important and, for now, having access to a person is important to assure smooth experiences for everyone. Increased automation also makes it more difficult to build a company culture. There are maintenance costs, and the business has to hire IT professionals to service the technology. The technology can malfunction, spoiling a patron’s visit."

"I never even mentioned robots," he told me, a bit chagrined. His point, he said, is that government mandates impose costs that "make automation a more viable option for business." But "we could never take out all the front-line employees" at CKE restaurants. At Carl's Jr. and Hardee's "you have to have people behind the counter because [customers] are used to that and people are more comfortable with it." He might consider, however, equipping restaurants near college campuses or other youth-oriented neighborhoods with touch-screens, because he believes that millennials are more comfortable with automated ordering.

But he thinks more automation is the wave of the future. "You can't stop the process," he said; it's the cost of those mandates that are forcing it to happen too fast.

Still not happy with this pick.

So 90% of the stores are franchisees and it still has a pretty good record when it comes to FLSA investigations? Not sure if this is supposed to be a slam on him or proof he's pretty good at managing the company.

I feel like that graph would be a lot better if it showed how many FLSA investigations happened per company per store. The percentage of investigations that found a real issue doesn't necessarily mean much unless each company is investigated equally.

Mnuchin from Goldman Sachs lol

The sycophants are already doing mental gymnastics

Dr.Acula

Banned
Who the fuck would ever eat at Carl's Jr. when Harvey's is an option

I meant to go to that Carl's Jr. but the part of Toronto on Queen West just had too many good food options that whenever I was down there I'd always end up eating somewhere else. If they stuck it down more in the financial district, or in a food court I probably would have tried it, someplace where the only other options were fastfood junk.

Sianos

But he thinks more automation is the wave of the future. "You can't stop the process," he said; it's the cost of those mandates that are forcing it to happen too fast.

So he recognizes that automation is inevitable and is ultimately a boon to humanity were it not for archaic social paradigms, but instead of suggesting we do something to mitigate harm that would come to those who's jobs are automated in the shuffle, he suggests we just keep devaluing the worth of workers so they are more cost effective than machines for just a little longer.

I am genuinely curious. The people that voted for Trump, are they starting to see what is going on or are the fingers still firmly in their ears going "nanananana".

GAF, family members that voted for him, still with him?

Eylos

Banned
We're moving past horror and into comedy. Comedy-horror.

Trump is key that unlocks the nihilistic, dystopian science fiction mega-corp future. Where society is literally run like a corporation and everyone has to pay for air from vending machines.

It's not even the cool corporate dystopia like Shadowrun. Well, unless the volcanos suddenly start erupting. Don't rule out anything for 2016 just yet.

The dirty secret of America is that while it markets itself as a principled Christian nation and the world's peacemaker, half the country loves a good bully whose response to criticism is POW! FISTO!

Its part of the ff7 aniversary, instead of shinra we got trump, and look at the shinra president

tumblr_static_95bf9mi7590csgc080cc8wo4o.jpg

Its just trump with a moustache

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football

Over the weekend I was flipping through the channels on XM and stumbled across Fox News. The host of the show was trying to spin that into a positive. Saying that they have amassed their fortunes already so they couldn't be "bought". One guest on the panel said, "What makes you think they are going to stop trying to get paid after they get into these positions?". Thee host and other panelists shouted him down like what he said had zero merit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom