• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump's pick for Secretary of Labor having second thoughts after criticism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As others have noted, there's no shortage of irony that the man Trump chose as his Secretary of Labor was a man who, in part, doesn't want to do the job because there is labor involved.

Ok It wasn't Sunday then. But I remember it was definitely a thing to go to Chick-Fil-A and flout your dissent of gay marriage.

Didn't the boycott have the effect of reducing Chick-Fil-A's ability to branch into New York?

riotous

Banned
Puzder's wife made anonymous appearances on Oprah to talk about the violent abuse she was receiving from her husband (something that wouldn't really help her in divorce proceedings!), but sure, Puzder never beat her.

Also, I know four men who have assaulted their wives and have faced no legal repercussion for it, guess they're not domestic abusers!

Well she re-canted her allegations; but that could have come along with a bag of cash.

The Kree

Banned
http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/16/politics/andrew-andy-puzder-labor-trump/index.html

"He may be bailing," said a Republican source plugged into the Trump transition effort. "He is not into the pounding he is taking, and the paperwork."

6NqUnQ8.png

Well she re-canted her allegations; but that could have come along with a bag of cash.

Or the fact that despite the abuse, she loved the man that she, you know, married.

I know a lot of abused women who feel like they shouldn't "ruin" the lives of their abusers by informing the world that these people are violent criminals. They care too much about what they had and are full of too much empathy.

Agnostic

but believes in Chael
How does this titan not know that these administrative jobs involve mostly paperwork?

It's paperwork and meetings and sometimes making a speech.

How does this titan not know that these administrative jobs involve mostly paperwork?

It's paperwork and meetings and sometimes making a speech.

It's almost like a government position and a CEO have two different goals. One is to drive profits and the other is to enact policy. It's almost as if being a CEO is not analogous to being in politics 🤔

As others have noted, there's no shortage of irony that the man Trump chose as his Secretary of Labor was a man who, in part, doesn't want to do the job because there is labor involved.

Didn't the boycott have the effect of reducing Chick-Fil-A's ability to branch into New York?
DeBlasio called for a boycott but New Yorkers ignored him and their locations in NY are doing well I think. http://fortune.com/2016/04/12/chick-fil-a-new-york/

It's pretty rare for a boycott to work, I think. Most people just don't care enough about politics (this is true for a lot of conservative boycott attempts over the past few decades too).

Zaphrynn

Or the fact that despite the abuse, she loved the man that she, you know, married.

I know a lot of abused women who feel like they shouldn't "ruin" the lives of their abusers by informing the world that these people are violent criminals. They care too much about what they had and are full of too much empathy.

That and plain old fear. I can't imagine speaking out or saying unfavourable things about the Trump team doesn't come with bullshit. Hell, Trump's ex-wife said she was raped under oath, only to change it to "well it wasn't RAPE rape". I doubt a bag of cash was the reason why.

Edit: To be on topic: this wouldn't surprise me. Shock and awe that the CEO of Hardee's doesn't want to deal with the demands and work of Secretary of Labor.

Dyle

I can't seem to find the source for this, but last week on NPR a political scientist was talking about Trump's appointees and said that it was normal that at least one would decide to back out after being announced. I believe he said that two or three people who had been picked by Obama declined after being announced due to the high standards they have to meet. Due to U.S. anti-corruption laws appointed positions in the executive branch are held to the highest standard of accountability, financial and otherwise, with stricter standards than the president and congress. So it is not unusual for some to back out, rather than being forced to go through audits or potential divestment, especially given how many of Trump's appointees are super-wealthy business people.

So this really isn't a big deal, unless we start hearing about more of them following suit

Trump is rewarding his henchmen with the highest positions in government and so many of them don't even give a shit about the job. Fucking unbelievable.
Well if I was a billionaire I wouldn't be rushing to take some government job that pays like shit (relatively speaking) and is tons of thankless work.

squidyj

Well if I was a billionaire I wouldn't be rushing to take some government job that pays like shit (relatively speaking) and is tons of thankless work.

yeah, i'd already have tons of effective ways of screwing poor people at my fingertips, no need to go into government.

As far as the domestic assault thing goes, it's something to be two minds about. Firstly, it's important to remember that we do not have to be objective and employ reasonable doubt - an opinion held by people in law. With that said, a person like Puzder can afford to escape justice in situations due to his high amount of wealth and power. It's fair to say that a domestic assault charge going away is more likely to occur for a rich person than a poor person, so should a rich person not receive extra scrutiny for this fact?

DeBlasio called for a boycott but New Yorkers ignored him and their locations in NY are doing well I think. http://fortune.com/2016/04/12/chick-fil-a-new-york/

It's pretty rare for a boycott to work, I think. Most people just don't care enough about politics (this is true for a lot of conservative boycott attempts over the past few decades too).

Ah, that makes sense then. Explains where I got the notion of their NY expansion not doing as well.

This is good. The key thing people need to know here is that this is more because of the backlash than the paperwork.

People need to realize that this is the kind of behavior that needs to be kept up. When enough public backlash happens in response to bad decisions, they'll back off.

Remember that there are more people who don't agree with what Trump and his staff does than there are those that do agree.

Keep up the pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom