• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN:Andrew Puzder unlikely to be confirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfkgoblue

Oprah Winfrey tapes are too blame.

Andrew Puzder is the former Hardee's CEO in line for Secretary of Labor. Republicans are dropping support of him due to the tapes. And now 6 Republicans have reportedly told Trump that they will not vote for him and asked for withdrawing him from the nomination.

On CNN TV right now.

EDIT: CNN posted in the website now.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/15/polit...ithdraw-puzder-nomination/index.html?adkey=bn
EDIT2:is expected to withdraw
EDIT3:Official
http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/15/polit...ouse-to-withdraw-puzder-nomination/index.html

Who is Puzder? What are the Oprah tapes? What position was he being put up for?

I know its a US centric board but help us out here. No one wants to open a thread and then spend 5 minutes googling. Some context would be nice.

Mael

It's not a rush to be who's first.
Puzder is the next CEO of foxconn that the board is voting against?
Seriously if you can't provide basic info just post in Poligaf or something.

Who is Puzder? What are the Oprah tapes? What position was he being put up for?

I know its a US centric board but help us out here. No one wants to open a thread and then spend 5 minutes googling. Some context would be nice.

seriously what the hell man

this is one barebones ass thread

jtb

Banned

RedAssedApe

Banned
have a heard time believing that any appointments will be blocked at this point...considering whose gotten through so far

mike6467

It really disgusts me that THIS is the type of stuff that people care about. Yeah, domestic abuse is horrible. Really horrible, but people should be rioting because this guy has horrible, oppressive views and is looking to take a position that would enable him to screw over the entire population.

For people asking about the Oprah tape:

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/susan-collins-andrew-puzder-oprah-tape-allegations-234964
Senators in both parties have viewed an episode of "The Oprah Winfrey Show" in which President Donald Trump's Labor Secretary nominee Andrew Puzder's former wife leveled allegations of physical abuse against him...

The decades-old video, which is not easily found, has been provided by the Oprah Winfrey Network, those sources said. The video has been provided to senators in a Capitol Hill office building, according to people who have seen it.

The episode is called "High-Class Battered Women," according to a source familiar with the matter. It aired in March, 1990.

RedAssedApe

Banned
It really disgusts me that THIS is the type of stuff that people care about. Yeah, domestic abuse is horrible. Really horrible, but people should be rioting because this guy has horrible, oppressive views and is looking to take a position that would enable him to screw over the entire population.

not that i disagree. but at this point...anyone thinking that the republicans care about anything beyond their own party politics is being naive.

The terrifying story here is that you can have a vision for gutting America's public education system, but become Secretary of Education; you can have a history of racism against minorities, but become Attorney General; you can have an anti-labor record, but become Secretary of Labor.

You're only really in trouble if you lay a hand on a white woman.

kirblar

As seen w/ DeVos, it's not about how horrible they actually are, it's about how horrible you can make them appear to a general public who's easily outraged w/ no real attention span.

Damaniel

Banned
So nominating an anti-labor Secretary of Labor; a person running a company with a long record of stiffing employees and breaking all types of labor laws, isn't disqualifying, but an Oprah Winfrey video is? What is wrong with us?

Note that I think that both should be disqualifying - I'm just annoyed that people are willing to give hiring anti-*thing* nominees to the Department of *Thing* a pass.

Glix

Just read the MSNBC article, the ex-wife retracted her statements. I doubt this will do much harm.

Is this post from two weeks ago? The republicans ARE SAYING it has done harm and begging trump to pull back the nom.

In addition, Bannons wife has retracted her statements as well. Funny coincidence.

Its almost like they are scared or something? Why would they feel scared. LO fucking L.

tuxfool

Banned
DVEXFYb.png
Ha

Bishman

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2017/02/15/andy_puzder_withdraws_nomination_for_labor_secretary.html

Two particular scandals have plagued Puzder’s nomination. Like all rich people, Puzder employed an undocumented worker as a housekeeper for a while. He fessed up last week. This is a scandal for one or two nominees for seemingly every new president; some get through, some don’t. Compounding it, though, are newly released details of a 1990 episode of The Oprah Winfrey Show during which Puzder’s ex-wife made some startling allegations about abuse by Puzder. The ex-wife, Lisa Fierstein, later recanted her allegations, saying she put them forward to gain a leg up in divorce proceedings. But the episode certainly has not helped his nomination.

Puzder's support for immigration reform, too, had been drawing heat from conservatives.

Since his nomination, Puzder has reportedly been uncomfortable with the scrutiny accompanying his nomination. Politico reported in January, quoting an anonymous source, that he “is not into the pounding he is taking, and the paperwork.” And this afternoon, CBS’ Major Garrett reported that Puzder, with Senate math also working as his adversary, was ready to throw in the towel.

Blader

Surprised this is the one that failed to get through.

Trump campaigned hard on white working-class issues. I'm surprised a labor sec nominee who is pro-automation and opposed to minimum wage increases was even nominated in the first place.

Weird. I still don't fully understand why the GOP didn't back him up. Devos was certainly more controversial.

A great many Republicans don't believe the DoE should even exist. They believe education should be solely handled by the states. DeVos fit right with their beliefs. Puzder, on the other hand, carried actual proof of being a scumbag in his private life.

Ernest

Banned
So much winning, Trump, so much winning...

I do take great satisfaction in knowing that behind closed doors, Trump must be fucking fuming these past few days over all the shit coming down on him, and here's yet another setback, and it hasn't even been a full month for him yet.

sangreal

Spicer went full Conway and blamed democrats for rejecting him and not scheduling hearings, neither of which democrats have any say over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom