• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever been labeled unattractive only to end up a stud later?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leadbelly

Banned
I've really got to read my posts before posting them. Because I tend to look down at the keyboard while writing, I make all sorts weird mistakes.

Going from one end of the spectrum to the other can be a very traumatic/illuminating experience. I felt genuine disgust and contempt for everyone around me when their attitudes towards me changed just because of a few pounds/inches. My blood still boils when people compliment me on my looks, even if they mean well.

Raika

Nope. I've never been called ugly before, but I've never been called handsome before either. Been an average guy for my entire life with garbage social skills. Bulking a bit now though, had enough of being scrawny.

Darklord

Banned
Going from one end of the spectrum to the other can be a very traumatic/illuminating experience. I felt genuine disgust and contempt for everyone around me when their attitudes towards me changed just because of a few pounds/inches. My blood still boils when people compliment me on my looks, even if they mean well.

Why? Being fat can show laziness, greed, lack of pride. When you lose that it shows pride, effort, and dedication. Of course people are going to change their attitude.

Saying that caring about looks is shallow is just a defence people who have let themselves go use. Its not more shallow than saying you care about education or something else.

Darklord

Banned
It's just a display of how shallow people can be.

Not really. It might show they are quick to judge but not necessarily shallow. I love it when people compliment me. Yeah, I was fat and ugly. I know that and when people say I'm looking great that's a sign my hard work is paying off. In fact when it comes to my looks I'm the most critical of all now. You should care about both personality and looks.

If that happened around high school more or less, it's normal, people are incredibly childish and any flaw gets greatly exaggerated.

If that happened around high school more or less, it's normal, people are incredibly childish and any flaw gets greatly exaggerated.

Do people really ever outgrow their childishness? I'm in my 20's and I feel that my "core" was stabilized in my early teens. It wasn't just my adolescent peers' attitude that shifted dramatically anyway. I guess I was unfortunate enough to be surrounded by assholes of all ages.

Why? Being fat can show laziness, greed, lack of pride. When you lose that it shows pride, effort, and dedication. Of course people are going to change their attitude.

Being fat can also be the result of an assload of other things that do not show laziness, greed or lack of pride, and if you are judging someone based on characteristics about their personality you have inferred purely based on them being fat, then you are still being superficial, even if you don't realize it.

But I don't buy this anyway. People aren't perfect logicians who stand around going "well, he's fat, therefore blah blah blah and by induction I conclude that whatever". They just look at someone fat and go "eww gross!" Even if people didn't negatively judge the unattractive, they certainly do have unreasonably positive appraisals of the highly attractive, vis a vis the halo effect. Even the most rational people fall victim to this, and I've caught myself doing it a few times.

Do people really ever outgrow their childishness? I'm in my 20's and I feel that my "core" was stabilized in my early teens. It wasn't just my adolescent peers' attitude that shifted dramatically anyway. I guess I was unfortunate enough to be surrounded by assholes of all ages.

Yes, they do.

From my early teens, I only keep my two nerd friends back when I was the "weird nerd chick" so people just kind of looked down on me. It was only when I met new, older people they helped me change.

Oh boy. You know, im all for being yourself and dressing the way you like. But the problem with your choices is that they're probally the most horrible ones ever.

Im pretty sure you would look a thousand times better with a good shave and different clothes. And if you ever want to get laid again, dont post those pictures on Facebook, trust me.

Swords and sunglasses really?

This post was enhanced immensely by your avatar.

leadbelly

Banned
Saying that caring about looks is shallow is just a defence people who have let themselves go use. Its not more shallow than saying you care about education or something else.

I kind of wish I was really ugly sometimes. I just think it would be so much simpler. I do and I don't.

I've been called handsome on my best days and have been hit on by girls way out of my league. In either case, it still feels strange when an attractive woman hits on me given the experiences I had through out school.

if a woman is hitting on you she is not out of your league

soultron

Banned
Swords and sunglasses really?

The only thing that could make it worse is flip flops! (I kid, DY.)

Also, damn @ people who have insecurity residue stuck to the walls of their skulls, even after they've undergone personal transformations.

I used to be bitter too when girls first started paying attention to me. I still don't know how to take compliments really well. But being angry and hating on other people for enjoying their transformations? Damn.

Kwhit10

Not really, but all through grade school I was 1 of the 3 shortest kids in my class. But once High School ended I shot up just over 6'. People have been pretty surprised when I'm taller than they are and they only remember my height from High School.

ShinNL

After a while you'll get used to it instead of boiling of anger. It's like you're getting angry at something that isn't there, you know? Which is part of what can make it infuriating.

While I hated my youth, I do think that experience has made me a well accepting human. Each time I think I might have the urge to feel full of myself, my backbone will tell me to be good to everyone, because that's how I was happiest when I was emotionally corned: when people treated me normal when I felt I was the ugliest being in the world. Obviously, I'm still good friends with these people who never dismissed me for my looks.

I also developed a keen eye. You can tell from behavior if someone sees you as a lesser being. Nowadays I hardly see that towards me, but I can still tell if they judge others in this manner. I'll never becomes friends with those kind of people.

I've been slowly moving myself to "stud" status over the year.

Left pics - June, 2011, 210 pounds.
Right pics - April 2012, 202 pounds.

swords2h8k8k.jpg
Everyone is replying serious, but I thought for sure this was a sarcastic post. Isn't it? I mean, 8 pounds difference and like almost the same style. Even the same shirt. It was sarcastic, right? :|

Everyone is replying serious, but I thought for sure this was a sarcastic post. Isn't it? I mean, 8 pounds difference and like almost the same style. Even the same shirt. It was sarcastic, right? :|
I wasnt sure it wasnt sarcastic, but it IS GAF we are talking about, so i can completely imagine people wearing such outfits and thinking it is cool.

soultron

Banned
I also developed a keen eye. You can tell from behavior if someone sees you as a lesser being. Nowadays I hardly see that towards me, but I can still tell if they judge others in this manner. I'll never becomes friends with those kind of people.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. What I'm asking is for you to expand on your complex. Because right now I can't help but think what I've listed below:

You're no better for passing judgement on people for what you assume is them judging others.

There's honour and then there's a self-righteous, self-serving obsession. What you have is a thinly-veiled superiority complex because of your supposed purity in thought.

You're probably one of those people who always says, "I'm really great at reading people. I can detect bullshit from a mile away." Cool, dude. Keep on "reading" people and casting them aside.

In short, you seem full of yourself in an entirely different way. It's totes awesome and unique if that makes you feel better.

I felt the same way when I originally lost weight. Then I got over myself and realised I wasn't a special snowflake who was completely virtuous.

Alucrid

Banned
After a while you'll get used to it instead of boiling of anger. It's like you're getting angry at something that isn't there, you know? Which is part of what can make it infuriating.

While I hated my youth, I do think that experience has made me a well accepting human. Each time I think I might have the urge to feel full of myself, my backbone will tell me to be good to everyone, because that's how I was happiest when I was emotionally corned: when people treated me normal when I felt I was the ugliest being in the world. Obviously, I'm still good friends with these people who never dismissed me for my looks.

2h long sword vs dual wielding? huge difference bro

DMeisterJ

Banned
I labeled myself as unattractive since I was short and stocky when I was younger, but then I grew taller and thinned out, I'm pretty sure I'm attractive. I never really had issues being asked out though. So I guess it may have all been in my head.

Mook1e

I don't know about being thought of as ugly, but I was very introverted and pretty skinny (not to mention short) in High School.
I didn't really go to parties much and spent a lot of time making 3D models and animating stuff in my basement with my Amiga.
I came out of my shell a bit during senior year and met my wife, who helped me come out of my shell even more.
Went into the military, saw the world (literally, I've been all over this rock), got really fit (still short, though).
I wouldn't say I'm a chick magnet or anything, but I'm not bad for an old man.
Meanwhile, the rest of my School mates have gotten pretty run down, or extremely obese.
It's really funny to go home with my wife and hang out with those folks staying in the same place and talking about where we've been and what we've experienced. They sometimes give us the bert stare when we're laughing about something that happened to us in Thailand, or Japan, or wherever.

leadbelly

Banned
It's like hats. When it looks good, it looks really fucking good.

The rest of the time, it's ridiculous.

Maybe. I personally don't think it looks good at all. In my mind it isn't so much about how well the jacket suits the person, it is the reasoning behind him wearing it in the first place. He could simply just like the look of the jacket, but in my mind, he's walking around thinking he's Neo. If he is wearing the shades, that is just it for me. lol

I expected this thread was made by the girl in the celebs that got hot thread that time who tried to make it all about herself.

I've always been just kind of normal looking

Idde

Please correct me if I'm wrong. What I'm asking is for you to expand on your complex. Because right now I can't help but think what I've listed below:

You're no better for passing judgement on people for what you assume is them judging others.

There's honour and then there's a self-righteous, self-serving obsession. What you have is a thinly-veiled superiority complex because of your supposed purity in thought.

You're probably one of those people who always says, "I'm really great at reading people. I can detect bullshit from a mile away." Cool, dude. Keep on "reading" people and casting them aside.

In short, you seem full of yourself in an entirely different way. It's totes awesome and unique if that makes you feel better.

I felt the same way when I originally lost weight. Then I got over myself and realised I wasn't a special snowflake who was completely virtuous.

Eh... I think he's right. Some people are really shallow. I've talked about this with my mother who lost a lot of weight. Some of her colleagues never spoke to her when she was overweight. Now that she slimmed down they do talk to her. But she's always been a very nice, funny person and a great conversationalist. Why should her being overweight be any reason for people not to talk to her?

The gym I work at has some really shallow people as well, who are constantly making fat jokes, even about customers (who are doing their best to lose weight). Some of whom I personally know and genuinely are awesome. My coworkers are nice to me because I'm not obese and work out myself. I still think some of my colleagues are hypocritical assholes too. That doesn't make me full of myself.

yup, late bloomer. I was a skinny kid with acne in high school.

Grew up to have a chiseled jaw, roman nose, borad shoulders and got bulkier

It's not exactly a big secret that the bulk of society treats taller people with more respect. This isn't as applicable for women, but short guys are - and pardon the literal pun - really looked down on.

Taller people are more sucessful, too? But according to Alienshogun, height is overrated!

You're as attractive or unattractive as you believe you are. People you meet will give you that confirmation as a mirror reflection.

Angry Fork

It went the opposite for me. Girls loved me in elementary/middle school and then it just kind of went 180 in high school and I became a depressed loner unable to cope. I don't know if it's because I legitimately got uglier or because high school people are more reserved and girls don't come up to you like they did as kids. I don't know where I'm at now at 23.

soultron

Banned
Eh... I think he's right. Some people are really shallow. I've talked about this with my mother who lost a lot of weight. Some of her colleagues never spoke to her when she was overweight. Now that she slimmed down they do talk to her. But she's always been a very nice, funny person and a great conversationalist. Why should her being overweight be any reason for people not to talk to her?

The gym I work at has some really shallow people as well, who are constantly making fat jokes, even about customers (who are doing their best to lose weight). Some of whom I personally know and genuinely are awesome. My coworkers are nice to me because I'm not obese and work out myself. I still think some of my colleagues are hypocritical assholes too. That doesn't make me full of myself.
If we're going to extremes, then we can all agree. If I was ever with my friends and they said something like, "Wow, that woman is a fat cunt," I'd instantly call them out and simultaneously wonder why I keep such company.

But if someone says, "Wow, that guy is really overweight," they might just be stating fact. Maybe that person is dealing with depression, an eating disorder, or they could be a slovenly mope who doesn't care about themselves.

The funny thing about life, in my opinion, is that you'll always be judged by others. You size someone up, visually, within the first few seconds of laying eyes on them. Even if you're at a healthy weight or look "attractive." And don't think just because someone's deemed attractive that all judgements are in their favour. Any coworkers who talk shit aren't around for long. We had a manager who got fired for insulting one of our employees because she was slightly overweight.

And that's unfortunate about your gym. I work at a gym and we're always proud to see someone overweight who wants to change their life. It takes a lot of confidence for some people who're overweight to come into the gym and we know that. We take pride in our members, big, small, young, old, and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom