• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever been labeled unattractive only to end up a stud later?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idde

We take pride in our members, big, small, young, old, and so on.

There's a joke in here somewhere.

Jesus christ. I'm 6'3" as well but I'm 200 pounds. And I thought I was pretty lean. God damn.

I know :( Worst thing was 'bulking up' to 160 in two years, then getting mono and dropping down to 130 in two weeks. Thank god my metabolism is slowing down, though I'll always be small boned.

Well, this is how I see it. If you think you're a stud, then you imply you look better than average, right? In other words, you automatically claim that others are uglier than you. You can see how my train of thoughts continues from here and how I disapprove that.

I'm sure you have a way to not think like that (perhaps?), but that's just the way I personally see it. Since I think like that, I refuse to have that state of mind. I feel as if I ever call myself ugly or a stud, I would in some sort of way disrespect people, directly or indirectly.

Examples:
- If you point out the hottest person in a group, you kinda make the rest of the group realize they're uglier.
- Ever met someone who says they're hot in real life? Usually not a good character, usually delusional and also completely ignores that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Also, if someone says I'm ugly, I'll accept that that's their opinion. I won't tell myself: no, I know I'm a stud, you're wrong! Seems silly to me. I just be me, you know. I accept myself. I haven't gotten an insult in forever, which boosted my confidence so I could think this way. I would like everyone to have the option to accept themselves without being beaten down, directly or indirectly. I was always picked last and I remembering kissing dance circles from elementary school. Of course people didn't pick me, but later I heard from a friend that a girl picked me out of pity. Well, that shit hurts, even if meant well.

As Soultron said, there will always be people judging you instantly. And you're probably doing it yourself as well. For me it's how I (don't) react to that initial judgment. But are you really that occupied in day to day life? Like you feel ugly if people say Hugh Jackman is hot? Because that's kind of a waste of time dude. Better spend it in the gym on your way to becoming a stud ;)

Edit: of course I'm dutch with my 6,3'.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
What's abnormally "tall" for a woman?

I'll have a go at a 6'2 girl. No worries. Send 'em my way.
6'3-4 and up. A lot of the girls from the volleyball and basketball teams I worked with and got close to had it bad. Personally, I love taller women. A lot of guys take issue with it and they have their own troubles trying to find guys that fit their preferences as well.

ShinNL

As Soultron said, there will always be people judging you instantly. And you're probably doing it yourself as well. For me it's how I (don't) react on that initial judgment. But are you really that occupied in day to day life? Like you feel ugly if people say Hugh Jackman is hot? Because that's kind of a waste of time dude. Better spend it in the gym on your way to becoming a stud ;)
Well, I'm not affected, but I'm sure there are people with inferiority complex who get hurt by it. For me that's enough reason to not participate in the ranking of the looks game that people are playing. I lost the urge to be in that ranking or to use that ranking. I knew I was way below. When I was crawling up, I stopped caring. Obviously, I take care of myself so I don't have to be the victim of that game.

Murkas

A year ago I was 230lbs/105Kg.

After healthy eating and excercise I'm now around 80Kg.

That's kinda study isn't it?!

Onemic

Hell yeah. Im 6'1" myself and the girl im dating now is 6'. It owns. I love tall girls. Luckily i live in the Netherlands, home of the on average tallest girls in the world.

And guys. I'd be exactly average height there(6'0 is the average for guys in the Netherlands I believe)

Zomba13

Nope (as in the end up a stud part).
I did get better hair when I left the comp (High School). When I was there my hair was wavy and not nice and occasionally puffy.

I never had any luck with girls in high school or middle school. But now as a junior in college I do pretty well for myself. I get hit on far more than I hit on girls. It's pretty awesome.

Well, back then they didn't want me. Now I'm hot they all on me. Thought for sure there would be more pics in this thread. Guess that's what the other thread is for huh.

maxxpower

Because fat girls arent girls?

Well, I've struggled with weight my entire life(to the point where I have high blood pressure), and for the past three years I've worked really hard to get into shape, and I've achieved my goal.

I couldn't see myself dating an overweight woman because it would just bring back those horrible memories of being overweight and getting horrible high-blood pressure headaches everyday. If she was willing to work with me to lose the weight I would be happy to do so but I wouldn't feel right asking her if she wanted to lose the weight.

Orayn

I don't now man, I think the new 'stache makes you look rather distinguished. You are the person in your avatar right?

If only. All of my real world attempts at facial hair and ponytails have gone horribly, horribly wrong. I will never be Tulio, though I might be able to manage Flynn Rider.

Wildesy

Funnily enough, I recently looked back at some pictures from the time of high school and it made me realize that I wasn't even a bad looking boy by any stretch.

17 years old
bal2.png

I wouldn't have said you were ugly, but forgive me for saying I wouldn't have been surprised to see your photo on the news after a school shooting.

26 years old
photo.jpg

But then you activated beast mode. Looking very good man.

You're as attractive or unattractive as you believe you are. People you meet will give you that confirmation as a mirror reflection.
Nah. Some people are real fugly.

this thread is disappointing, I was expecting a lot of pictures :p

I feel I'm getting uglier the older I get. In and out :p
What do you want to see in pics?

Opposite, actually. Cute kid to utterly unremarkable twenty-something. I also fear for my hairline.

I dunno, didn't you post a new picture of yourself 2012 edition? I thought you weren't half bad...

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I had the reverse happen, three times no less. All girls who wanted to get to know me better during school years only for me to turn them down because of my oh so high standards (not even sure why I had them because I was pretty fucking normal looking) and they later ended up being hot (two of them were even bomba hot) and I kicked myself for at least one of those.

I guess later on in life when you're past 18 years old your standards for looks go down and you go more for the person itself and see if you click with them, I never thought like that before, wish I did much earlier on

. . .and as long as fitness is even moderately in check, even most people I know that looked like weirdos as kids have ended up pretty decent looking after hitting their mid-to-late 20s. I think it's a combination of not being a young jackass, knowing how to dress well, and knowing and being more comfortable and confident with yourself. And knowing a decent haircut. It doesn't even have to be a 'good' quality haircut-- 'decent' is good enough what with how shitty most non-gay dudes look. Keep those hats on, uggos.

In conclusion, I think looking pretty decent is more of a younger or unhealthy person problem.
Agree 100% (there are sometimes exceptions of course, but in general this nails it)

Idde

And to move on from the subject of school shootings...some pictures: from old to new of course. 140 lbs at my height got me the endearing nickname of giraffe.

3kwCQ.jpg

axcYQ.jpg

piMQV.jpg

Red

I've never been hit on by a girl, only fat girls. It's pretty sad actually.
The only girls who have gone out of their way to flirt with me are fat girls and friends of girlfriends. That's it. In both cases I have to commend them for their self confidence.

Also older women for some reason. I've been approached by a good number of 30+ year old women (I am 23).

One time in high school I was invited to a party by this girl with a mustache. I was new to the school and decided to go. I was the only one there. Me and her. One of the strangest, most awkward situations I've ever been in.

She kept asking me to watch TMNT movies while I feared for my life.

I never had a girlfriend in high school nor even one close female friend. I can't even remember an occasion where I got approached by a girl or got complimented on my looks... I guess I began to assume I wasn't attractive at all because of that. I was a tall and skinny guy, so guys often picked me on that. I was extremely shy back then too, even with my closest friends. Things stayed that way till I got to age 23. Then I began to work out (gained 25 pounds of muscle mass, now at 165 lbs for 6' tall), diversify my hobbies, dress better and opening up more to people. I get compliments quite regularly now (I'll be 27 next month btw), but I still have to learn how to accept them. I try to stay humble, don't let it inflate my ego, but it doesn't come out the way I'd like sometimes. I've been accused of false modesty a couple of times...

Funnily enough, I recently looked back at some pictures from the time of high school and it made me realize that I wasn't even a bad looking boy by any stretch. I dressed poorly, sure, but I'm 100% sure now that my shyness had a lot more to do with what happened at the time more than anything else. I'm still way too shy for my own good, especially in one on one situations with ladies, but I'm working on that.

17 years old
bal2.png

19 years old
2004_kudsak.jpg

26 years old
photo.jpg
Wow, you look great.

Fularu

Banned
From this (10 years old or so)

TzUMol.jpg

To this (17 years old or so)

3AS0Wl.jpg

To nowadays (34 years old)

GOid7l.jpg

Downgrade total at 17 years old, I still prefer my 10 years old self though, so cute :(

I remember three different people on three different occasions look at a child picture of me, then look at me now, and ask "What happened?"

FairyD

Never been a stud. However, every once in a while I get a clean shave, shower, put on some nice clothing and go into work. I do notice the looks at times.

Air

Banned
Yes. A lot of people used to make fun of me and it crushed my self esteem. I'm by no means a 'stud' but I'd like to think I developed a lot since that point.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Yep. But now I'm getting unattractive again. My prime only lasted a few years.

Felt great at the time though! I was never a dick who rubbed it in people's faces who had rejected me though.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I don't know about myself, but I know people from my school/youth that were awkward looking, but grew into their looks.

But then, I know people that are the exact opposite. There are people that I know that used to be incredibly attractive back in the day, but are now, um, to put it nicely, not all that anymore. Whether it was age, kids, stress, they haven't aged terribly well.

I'm never very good at evaluating my own looks, but I've finally gotten to the stage in my life where I'm very comfortable with my looks, but still looking to improve my overall health and physique.

EDIT: I've also noticed that I get a lot more attention from the ladies now that I'm married. It's like, they see the ring on my finger, and instantly find me more interesting and attractive. I'm sure it probably has more to do with my confidence level, since I'm no longer on the market, and could care less about anything beyond some friendly words.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I wouldn't have said you were ugly, but forgive me for saying I wouldn't have been surprised to see your photo on the news after a school shooting.

I think you quoted the wrong post.

I've been slowly moving myself to "stud" status over the year.

Left pics - June, 2011, 210 pounds.
Right pics - April 2012, 202 pounds.

swords2h8k8k.jpg

Axalon

I suppose I got better looking after teenage acne disappeared, but that's it, really. Look basically the same, plus some facial hair.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I'm working on it. Lost 15 pounds in the 13 days on this Keto diet I'm doing. Pretty excited. Once I start work again, I'll be dropping even more pounds. (Pool service, I'm out working in the sun all day) I'm gonna be a fuckin stud by the end of the year. YOU WAIT AND SEE! lol

No but I am excited to be losing some serious weight. All you NY GAF people who met me know I'm a big guy. Next meet up I'm hoping you guys won't recognize me. And WTF Protag and Evilore were over weight at one point? High fuckin fives. I would have never guessed when I met you guys. Awesome stuff.

Red

I'm working on it. Lost 15 pounds in the 13 days on this Keto diet I'm doing. Pretty excited. Once I start work again, I'll be dropping even more pounds. (Pool service, I'm out working in the sun all day) I'm gonna be a fuckin stud by the end of the year. YOU WAIT AND SEE! lol

No but I am excited to be losing some serious weight. All you NY GAF people who met me know I'm a big guy. Next meet up I'm hoping you guys won't recognize me. And WTF Protag and Evilore were over weight at one point? High fuckin fives. I would have never guessed when I met you guys. Awesome stuff.
15lbs in 13 days? How exactly are you measuring your weight?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
You think you lost 15lbs worth of water in less than two weeks?

How heavy are you?

I didn't say all of it was bro. Don't worry, I'm fine. I have much more energy throughout the day. No highs and lows. My appetite is very small and I'm enjoying the food I'm eating.

The way it works is, my body is starved for carbs. So my body says, shit, I need energy from somewhere. And then it says, well fuck we have all this fat how about we turn that into energy. Turns out your body runs better off of fat than starches and sugars and shit. Coupled with exercise and you have sudden and dramatic weight loss.

I was inspired to try this diet out after I saw a friend of mine after just a few months. Lost 50 pounds in like 4 months and he was only active for the first month. I was blown away.

Red

I didn't say all of it was bro. Don't worry, I'm fine. I have much more energy throughout the day. No highs and lows. My appetite is very small and I'm enjoying the food I'm eating.

The way it works is, my body is starved for carbs. So my body says, shit, I need energy from somewhere. And then it says, well fuck we have all this fat how about we turn that into energy. Turns out your body runs better off of fat than starches and sugars and shit. Coupled with exercise and you have sudden and dramatic weight loss.

I was inspired to try this diet out after I saw a friend of mine after just a few months. Lost 50 pounds in like 4 months and he was only active for the first month. I was blown away.
I support low carb diets as well, but losing more than a pound a day sounds like a bit much. I don't know how heavy you are, but hearing "15lbs in 13 days," that's surprising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom