• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
thinking about going for golden tirion... just because
golden ashbringer is so awesome

I have been trying out Warrior... put together an aggro deck which I thought would work well, but I have lost like 5 games in a row. Am I doing something massively wrong here? Any advice would be appreciated, cards I should add/remove etc:

9w04BWR.png

ShinNL

I have been trying out Warrior... put together an aggro deck which I thought would work well, but I have lost like 5 games in a row. Am I doing something massively wrong here? Any advice would be appreciated, cards I should add/remove etc:

[/IMG]http://i.imgur.com/9w04BWR.png?1[/IMG]
If you run low curve you want to have more resilient minions like Divine Shield and Harvest Golems. Goldshire Footman is horrible btw.

scy

Really, most of those minions aren't ideal for aggro. Argent Squire is a better one-drop than the Goldshires, Faerie Dragons and Bloodsail Raiders are better than the Amani and Cruel Taskmasters and Novice Engineer is basically a dead card in this deck. Arathi Weaponsmith and Kor'kron Elite should also probably be in the deck over the Rifleman and Worgens.

Most of the deck looks like a cross between a burn deck and a board control deck, really.

scy

Also you have no card draw. Card draw wins the game. Trust in the gnomes.

Novice Engineer is a bad card for that kind of deck with the stats it has. Loot Hoarder would do a lot better but, honestly, the deck just needs to mulligan properly and coast off the draws to win rather than draw a bunch. That's why it's a burn deck instead of a more board control-y variant.

isny

napkin dispenser
Novice Engineer is a bad card for that kind of deck with the stats it has. Loot Hoarder would do a lot better but, honestly, the deck just needs to mulligan properly and coast off the draws to win rather than draw a bunch. That's why it's a burn deck instead of a more board control-y variant.

One loot hoarder will probably help. Dat early card draw.

I don't play very often but when I played last night, someone pulled out Malygos and I smiled.

Also played a match where they got me down to one health (they had 18) and my card pulls were smiled upon by the gourds and ended up winning. I had a mage deck and they had a hunter deck. Felt so good to be able to pull back out like that when I should have been dead at least three different rounds. Forgot to send them a well played though or something for the match. So PhantomXLR, thanks for that.

Interesting games are way better than just getting completely slaughtered or completely wiping someone. To me at least.

borghe

nm. I'm a dummy.

edit - looks decent. I might say try and fit at least one charge in there unless others more knowledgeable have a reason not to. fiery war axe + raider + charge = 10 damage to the face for 7 mana. arcanite + raider + charge + upgrade = 16 damage to the face for 10.

Violet_0

Banned
So really, what are the viability of rush decks in general? The one game I lost on wasn't that I wasn't doing damage, but just that against a viable control deck I eventually started top decking when he was still in the high teens in health. So it seems with a little more balance especially with some finishers you could actually maybe take a rush deck far?? Thoughts?

in one of the latest tournaments (seatstory coup) murloc warlock and zoo warlock were among the strongest decks in the competition. Rush hunter is currently one of the top decks as well. So yeah, they are viable

of course, Handlock won the tournament. Warlocks everywhere

FStop7

Banned
I took Hearth-GAF's advice and dusted my Pagle and golden Tink. I also dusted The Beast and Al'Akir the Windlord, which I'd gotten a while back, since I never use them.

All told I had 6,500 dust when the... dust settled.

I ended up crafting:

Ragnaros
Ysera
Sylvanas
Black Knight
Big Game Hunter
and a couple of others I needed to make a YOLO 420 priest deck.

I still really want a golden Cabal Shadow Priest.

scy

edit - looks decent. I might say try and fit at least one charge in there unless others more knowledgeable have a reason not to. fiery war axe + raider + charge = 10 damage to the face for 7 mana. arcanite + raider + charge + upgrade = 16 damage to the face for 10.

It's a gimmicky combo that the deck doesn't have the draw power to reasonably sustain across a ton of games. On average, it won't add all that much. Besides that, the deck kind of wants to equip weapons and swing for the face whenever and drop creatures early so it really shouldn't even be reaching turn 7/10 without already having their win condition ready.

Like, that kind of Warrior deck is purely focused on burning out the opponent. It just wants to drop creatures and go for the face as much as possible. The deck punishes Control decks that neglect aggro too much and works well against decks with few early game minions.

I'd still say -2x Amani Berserkers for Faerie Dragons, -2 Ironforge Riflemen for +1 Frothing, +1 Leper Gnome, and probably -2x Executes for Argent Commanders. It's still looking too much like a mix between deck types and you'd be better off trying to narrow the deck down to just the one archetype.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

borghe

ok, that makes sense.

yeah, frothing berserker (and preferably a way to damage him before attacking) is mandatory in any warrior deck. It is very common for me to have laid him on turn 3, and have him attack turn 4 at 12+ damage especially against early rushes.

first turn coin and fiery war axe
second turn acolyte of pain (usually left alone to not give me a draw)
third turn frothing berserker (usually left alone)
fourth turn, some combination of cruel taskmaster, acolyte of pain attack, fiery war axe attack and whirlwind. net result is two card draws and depending on how many minions your opponent has out, a bit over 10 attack on turn 4.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
New mass dust animation is really nice, infact all of the new animations are.

Cant wait for adventure mode now.

scy

Hungry Crab.dec went 12-0, hooray
I never used him

Twisting Nether gets me every time. Never expecting it to be played in ranked.

The best part of fringe useful cards is that nobody expects them so they're blowouts.

Though I think that line of thinking leads to awful deck design.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Call me a hater but I dont see how people who play hunter and murlock aggro have fun in this game, you play what is on your hand, you dont deviate, there is so very little decision making.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Call me a hater but I dont see how people who play hunter and murlock aggro have fun in this game, you play what is on your hand, you dont deviate, there is so very little decision making.

Ever tried playing through sweepers? It's harder than it looks.

The only time you can really autopilot is when your opponent stumbles. If they're on point then risk/benefit analysis becomes important.

That said you can just play mindlessly to try to grind out wins but you can do that with any deck. It's just easier for aggro.

Zukuu

Banned
Twisting Nether gets me every time. Never expecting it to be played in ranked.

Its a decent card but too expensive. It's a board clear that gives your opponent the momentum, unless you have a 2 drop / inferno. For 6 it would be a great card. :3

br3wnor

Yup. The new build is buggier than the old build.

Anyone with programming knowledge able to explain why a game as "simple" as Hearthcraft would have these type of bug issues even after a lengthy beta? Just seems like something a team like Blizzard would be able to nip in the bud.

Robin64

Had the "Opponent has played a card but it's not really on the board" in all four games I've played today. On different systems, at that.

I'm not sure what I can do vs all the mages I am running into lately. Turn 4 water elemental has always been a pain in the ass. Their +1 hp over standard minions really screws with rogue... plus that frost ability even doubles it. And all of them love to run farseer so water elemental has the potential to easily 3-1... One mage healed it twice and got like 4-5 cards out of it.

Lord Phol

Oh okey so you get to keep everything from the beta? Thought you would have to start over and get gold instead of keeping ur cards.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Oh okey so you get to keep everything from the beta? Thought you would have to start over and get gold instead of keeping ur cards.

Yes. It's been stated many times that they would not be wiping after Open beta.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Won my first ranked match with a noob Mage deck I found through the OT. My Priest opponent could have killed me with his minions but decided to attack mines. Ran on them on the turn after and won. Awww yisss.

Lyng

Won my first ranked match with a noob Mage deck I found through the OT. My Priest opponent could have killed me with his minions but decided to attack mines. Ran on them on the turn after and won. Awww yisss.

Yeah one of the most important things is to allways check for lethal!

manfestival

I managed to get two buzzards and two unleash the hounds in my arena hunter deck. so far im 3-0 . I am beyond pleased. First time going 3-0. Best ive done is 4-3

I also decided to go with 50/50 for spells/minions

JesseZao

We've known this for 6+ months, I don't know why this rumor keeps perpetuating.

It doesn't take long to get decent cards if you play casually for a week.

Lord Phol

Not sure where I got it from but I read it on the offical FAQ or something when I first started playing. Haven't really been following the "news" much after that, only played the game every now and then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom