• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Well, I don't know what to say then. I really hope it was some kind of combination of bug, disconnection and voodoo.
Other people in the old thread reported similar hacks, but yeah, I'm sure I've played over 1000 matches (I have about 800 wins, and I'm not very good, so you do the math) and I have never encountered it, so it seems rare.

The thing is... everything gamewise is handled server side. They'd have to do some serious work to get a hack to work because of that. Most hacks in games can only compromise the client... and doing that in hearthstone does nothing.

edit:

Maybe we are in the twilight zone cause kibler keeps winning paladin vs rogue and I have had such bad luck vs them lately.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Golgo, dude, I'm not even sure if I believe you. If the game was hacked I'd feel like we'd be hearing about it a lot more right now. D=

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It would be like, front page on Le Reddit.

Levi

Banned
FvOA6fv.jpg

Biggest misplay I've ever seen. Dude had two one health minions, and played muster and used his weapon to kill my unstable ghoul, the death rattle killed all five of his minions, and the six deaths buffed my surviving minion to 9 attack. He conceded after Argus made that minion 10 attack and I went face.

Dahbomb

Game is hacked, confirmed. Not kidding. Guy pulled a Golden Deathwing on Turn 1, instantly had 10 mana, then pulled out Golden Legendary after Golden Legendary. I survived to round 7 thanks for a few Aldor Peacekeepers, but the game is clearly compromised. Wish I would've taken a screenshot but I was too stunned to even think about it. Guys screen name was "Expert Guy".

Edit: also, Last Opponent played is empty. Fucking crazy.
This happened to me once. Dude played like 6 minions on turn 4 (all Legendaries) and my turns were completely locked out.

Dahbomb

Yea I had Midrange Hunter vs Druid.

I couldn't make a single turn. At first I thought it was lag but he could make his moves fine. All my moves got roped then on turn 4 he just unloaded his hand and I died basically next turn.

And this was on Ladder, not even Casual.

Golgo 13

Golgo, dude, I'm not even sure if I believe you. If the game was hacked I'd feel like we'd be hearing about it a lot more right now. D=
Don't have to believe me bruh, don't blame you. But as you can see, other people have had this experience as well. :)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Dr. Boom not getting nerfed.

Eurogamer said:
MB: So Dr. Boom is definitely not on the nerf list?

ED: Absolutely not, but our more general philosophy is we're not really excited about changing anything. We don't want to change anything, and the only reason we'd change something is if we felt like this was really negatively impacting the overall experience for our players.
Source: http://hearthstone.metabomb.net/news/hearthstone-interview-eric-dodds

Didn't they say Undertaker wasn't going to be nerfed and then they nerfed it a week later?

It is different.

Undertaker was a card that was everywhere but wasn't necessarily in decks at the highest level. Dr Boom is a card that is everywhere, but isn't necessarily in decks at the highest level ... and is a Dr.

Szadek

They will nerf Dr Boom sooner or later,mostly to give people a better reason to buy the next expansion or booster packs.

CoolOff

Dr. Boom is certainly a card that a number of people have in their decks, but you certainly don't see it in all of the decks when you're looking at the highest level.

No, but you see it in decks that wouldn't run a 5+ mana card unless it was incredibly broken. 99.9% of decks could sub in a Dr. Boom and not be worse off.

Yeah, and even if it were in all the decks - which it isn't - the diversity of decks you see it in is still pretty broad. It's not really affecting things so you see the same thing over and over.

Yes you do. I'd say a vast majority of games where one player drops a Boom against an opponent who has a non-filled board wins the game. Show me numbers on wins for people that get Boom out on turn 7 and I'll believe you, otherwise the communitys combined experience tells us otherwise. It's overbudget in so many ways it's ridiculous.

We don't want to change anything, and the only reason we'd change something is if we felt like this was really negatively impacting the overall experience for our players.

Well, it is. Trust me, it really is. It's really arrogant after repeatedly nerfing obviously broken cards to suddenly say "nah, we don't really like changing stuff when it comes to balance.". You've set a precedent here and Boom is the wrong time to change stance.

To be honest I really suspect it's just Blizzard being greedy and trying to sell packs. Wargaming does this with every World of Tanks-patch; introduce an OP-vehicle, have people pay money to grind it faster, nerf it when you've gotten your paycheck. Yay F2P.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
No, but you see it in decks that wouldn't run a 5+ mana card unless it was incredibly broken. 99.9% of decks could sub in a Dr. Boom and not be worse off.

Yes you do. I'd say a vast majority of games where one player drops a Boom against an opponent who has a non-filled board wins the game. Show me numbers on wins for people that get Boom out on turn 7 and I'll believe you, otherwise the communitys combined experience tells us otherwise. It's overbudget in so many ways it's ridiculous.

Well, it is. Trust me, it really is. It's really arrogant after repeatedly nerfing obviously broken cards to suddenly say "nah, we don't really like changing stuff when it comes to balance.". You've set a precedent here and Boom is the wrong time to change stance.

To be honest I really suspect it's just Blizzard being greedy and trying to sell packs. Wargaming does this with every World of Tanks-patch; introduce an OP-vehicle, have people pay money to grind it faster, nerf it when you've gotten your paycheck. Yay F2P.

Yeah, I suspect it's the same reason. We'll have to ride the wave out until they're satisfied with people buying up GvG packs, there is no way in hell Boom doesn't get tweaked down the road.

I don't think boom is that broken. one of the issues is that there aren't any other impactful 7 drops so it's an obvious choice for decks that want even a few high cost minions. which is a lot of decks because the game has slowed down a bit after the undertaker nerf.

I think maybe the boom bots should do 1-3 instead of 1-4.

Or just summon one bot instead of two.

that might kill the card. and we do need some good netural 7 drops. the only other one is trogzor but he's not as much of a swing.

i'm actually kind of surprised that goblin blastmage isn't the card everyone has a hate boner for. fuck that card.

G.ZZZ

I don't think boom is that broken. one of the issues is that there aren't any other impactful 7 drops so it's an obvious choice for decks that want even a few high cost minions. which is a lot of decks because the game has slowed down a bit after the undertaker nerf.

I think maybe the boom bots should do 1-3 instead of 1-4.

Doom is better than all legendaries that cost more than him. Except in decks which abuse other said legendaries and are not interested in raw value (Antonidas/Alex etc...). The card would see play at 8-9 and probably even 10 mana. He's grossly undercosted.

CoolOff

The ones that makes the most sense to me is either:

* Bots can hit anything. This will kill the card though.

* Bots are 0/1. This would still make it a good card and play well against board wipes, but less immediately impactful.

which is a lot of decks because the game has slowed down a bit after the undertaker nerf.

I don't think this is really true.

Face hunter got faster and mech mage became a "thing". The problem is, if you want to try out any other deck? It all goes well until Dr. Boom comes out on turn 7 and you are fucked.

So basically you need to either win by then or play something incredibly slow. Neither of these things are good for Hearthstone and this is why he'll be nerfed massively once Blizzard extracts the maximum amount of cash out of him.

Luckily if there is one thing Blizzard can do right, it is to milk their audience just long enough to get the cash before everybody leaves.

there's no way people would play him at 9 or 10 mana. maybe if he was an 8-8 and the boom bots did 1-5.

alex and ysera are absolutely more power than boom. alex in particular. ysera doesn't see much play because she's just way too slow anymore. back in the day she was in every control deck and it was the worst.

I don't think this is really true.

Face hunter got faster and mech mage became a "thing". The problem is, if you want to try out any other deck? It all goes well until Dr. Boom comes out on turn 7 and you are fucked.

So basically you need to either win by then or play something incredibly slow. Neither of these things are good for Hearthstone and this is why he'll be nerfed massively once Blizzard extracts the maximum amount of cash out of him.

Luckily if there is one thing Blizzard can do right, it is to milk their audience just long enough to get the cash before everybody leaves.

face hunter literally didn't change. people just started playing it again and it's way easier for mech mage to run out of gas or to even get a good start compared to the old undertaker hunter so you can be more greedy with your deck building. literally every other class is sitting on midrange to control builds. and they're actually viable on ladder! UT hunter dominated the game in a way zoo never did.

but you people go ahead and have your stupid fucking conspiracy theories. i'm done with this.

but you people go ahead and have your stupid fucking conspiracy theories. i'm done with this.

You think it is a conspiracy theory that people are playing the faster face hunter now?

face hunter literally didn't change. people just started playing it again

Oh, you do agree. Well ok then.

ysera doesn't see much play because she's just way too slow anymore.

Yeah I agree. Way too slow for the current game.

ViviOggi

The main reason Face Hunter is coming back is the awful spot Warrior is currently in.

* Bots are 0/1. This would still make it a good card and play well against board wipes, but less immediately impactful.
This appears to be the most sensible solution.

johnsmith

remember me
Boom is getting nerfed, and blizzard is going to keep saying he won't be until he actually is, which will be after blackrock comes out. He's way more ubiquitous than even undertaker ever was. I've seen him in literally every deck except for face hunter and freeze mage.

cackhyena

Boom is getting nerfed, and blizzard is going to keep saying he won't be until he actually is, which will be after blackrock comes out. He's way more ubiquitous than even undertaker ever was. I've seen him in literally every deck except for face hunter and freeze mage.

I use him in my freeze/mech Mage deck. I'm not great at the game, so I'm in the minority, I'm sure. Ever since I got him, he's in nearly every deck of mine as well. You'd be dumb not to use him. I'm curious what the most popular idea for a nerf is for him. 1 more mana cost? Decrease in life or damage, or both? I just ran into a mech Mage that used him and had the chance to use the time rewinder card on him as well. I was truly fucked.

The feeling of shame you get when you misplay your killing blow because of a dumb arithmetic error... And then proceed to lose the game because of it

Just run a bgh and absorb the boom bot damage. If it kills your creep oh well bring out your next one. If you're low on creeps you were gonna lose anyway. Also one year ago everyone thought flamestrike was complete bullshit and needed to be nerfed. It turned out a good strategy was not loading the board up on turn six

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I don't mind dealing with Boom. I would rather they just add some more 7 drops to make it more interesting. The only thing that bothers me about Boom is that it is boring he is in every deck due to the lack of good 7 drops

Fixed1979

The getting golden legendaries thing seems far out there...but there are some odd bugs.

Here's a video where the game skids Trumps turn and his opponent plays his turn 3 and 4 while Trump is just forced to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGYHrgHnFdE

I don't mind dealing with Boom. I would rather they just add some more 7 drops to make it more interesting. The only thing that bothers me about Boom is that it is boring he is in every deck due to the lack of good 7 drops

I'm with you, I'm more curious to see where we are after more 7 drops are added to the game before crying nerf on Boom...

slayn

needs to show more effort.
This may happen, but not because of any silly conspiracy theories about wanting to sell packs.

I suspect that blackrock will try to add new viable 7 drops. I think this is why they previewed Rend. If blizzard does add multiple 7 drops AND after the meta settles boom is still the only 7 drop being played, only then will they think about nerfing boom. Not for being overpowered, but for being too ubiquitous.

I use him in my freeze/mech Mage deck. I'm not great at the game, so I'm in the minority, I'm sure. Ever since I got him, he's in nearly every deck of mine as well. You'd be dumb not to use him. I'm curious what the most popular idea for a nerf is for him. 1 more mana cost? Decrease in life or damage, or both? I just ran into a mech Mage that used him and had the chance to use the time rewinder card on him as well. I was truly fucked.

I've pulled this combo off before. I've also managed to Echo of Medivh my board with a Dr. Boom that had been Peace Keepered and both bots, so I played the two copied bots that turn followed by a brand new Dr. Boom the next turn with a new entourage of bots.

Golgo 13

I find it amusing that some people in this thread are borderline hostile towards me because of my experience when similar things have been reported in both threads now, and likewise strange bugs have been documented in streams by pro players. Way to go GAF, I'm so proud to be a member of this wonderful community. Seriously people, get over it.

dralla

I wish the pirate cards were better. I love my Bloodsail Raider and just added the Dread Corsair to my deck and have some nice synergy going with on my Rogue deck, with Poisoned Weapon, Sharpsword Oil, Assassin's Blade, Blade Fury, and Goblin Auto-Barber. It's the most fun deck I have at the moment, but I wanna go full pirate, but it's simply not feasible :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom