• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I just started playing this casually on my laptop..

If I'm not really interested in grinding out characters or paying money what's the best way to be paired up against similar opponents? I'm guessing casual to answer my own question but..

Was having fun playing ranked until I got to 22 and keep being paired up against people with maxed out decks or all kinds of wacky cards.

I see the op suggests playing arena but my understanding is that's also limited in how many times you can play it.

If I'm not really interested in grinding out characters or paying money what's the best way to be paired up against similar opponents? I'm guessing casual to answer my own question but..

Was having fun playing ranked until I got to 22 and keep being paired up against people with maxed out decks or all kinds of wacky cards.

I see the op suggests playing arena but my understanding is that's also limited in how many times you can play it.

Don't play casual..The matchmaking there is worse than in ranked.

Tacitus_

Arena costs money/gold to enter. Now whether that's a limit on how many times you can play it is up to you.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Just always play ranked and don't care about your rank. Then you'll always be using matchmaking.

Just always play ranked and don't care about your rank. Then you'll always be using matchmaking.

This is what I've been doing for months. I always do all my dailies in there. I keep one deck of each class, and just make new ones whenever I get sick of my old decks. I bounce between rank 20 and 14 or so. Right now, I have an ongoing hearthstone tournament at work where we are playing "pauper" decks (only basics or common cards). I still play those in my ranked matches when my daily quest wants me to. Being on the lower end of the ranks is more fun because I face a larger variety of opponent classes/decks, and I can play my weaker decks without really caring that they're weaker.

Heropon

I was dominating a Hunter and just when he was pulling a crazy Unleash the Hounds + combo the computer turns off. I hope he doesn't think that I ragequitted, because the victory was absolutely mine. ;-;

Stupid overheating computer.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I was dominating a Hunter and just when he was pulling a crazy Unleash the Hounds + combo the computer turns off. I hope he doesn't think that I ragequitted, because the victory was absolutely mine. ;-;

Stupid overheating computer.

Hunters don't think or feel, so I think you are ok.

Vanillalite

LTTP but I'll repost as I'd like to see a GAFer win!

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/blog/18053850/nvidia-shield™-tablet-giveaway-3-9-2015

YJTPJI7I87IS1425667568702.jpg

“Shields up!” We’re joining forces with Nvidia to give away 15 NVIDIA SHIELD tablets so you can play your next rounds of Hearthstone on the go!

Heropon

Hunters don't think or feel, so I think you are ok.

You made me smile with that. :)

This semi-mech mage deck I have built is more effective than I thought it was going to be. The most tense part of the match is when the initial draw is all 4 mana cards but apart from that I seem to be doing fine even without Spider Tanks, Annoy-o-Trons or Mechwarpers.

Cat Party

At your level, ranked is actually going to be more fair. Once you hit rank 20, you can lose stars (and ranks--just not lower than rank 20), so the people who are stuck around 20 aren't typically going to be players with high end decks. Though you do run into people running high end decks there. Just not as often.

There's no matchmaking in casual as far as I can tell. Arena is fun but it costs money/gold.

At what rank do people typically hit the progression wall on the way to rank 1? I mean when do you start seeing nothing but net decks? I'm not bragging or anything ( I know I suck) but I've got queue anxiety and the climb to 15 has been relatively painless this far. Been getting bonus stars for win streaks . I just want to know what to expect

JesseZao

At what rank do people typically hit the progression wall on the way to rank 1? I mean when do you start seeing nothing but net decks? I'm not bragging or anything ( I know I suck) but I've got queue anxiety and the climb to 15 has been relatively painless this far. Been getting bonus stars for win streaks . I just want to know what to expect

You'll get to 5 eventually. It just depends on what you're playing vs the meta as to how long it will take.

You'll get to 5 eventually. It just depends on what you're playing vs the meta as to how long it will take.

I see..on another note... Just played a game where I had one piloted shredder vs a full field. He kills my shredder with the last attack and a doomsayer spawns and completely wiped the board... I didn't think that that was possible

Vanillalite

Dailies will kill you before then because if you want the free coins it challenges you to try diff classes. Plus one loss ends your win streak bonus.

Don't play arena, it will not help at all.

Play ranked, but only in the second half of the month. By this stage most players have moved up and you'll have a very easy time against people who are generally new to the game. In the first half of the month? It'll be a lot more rocky so you can try your luck with casual.

Since it is the 14th, you should be ok in ranked from here.

This fucking guy in arena....

2x glaivezooka
2x kill command
2x savannah highmane
2x animal companion

and that's just what i saw...fuck

Annnddd the next guy has ysera turn 7. awesome. i love arena.

Fixed1979

I see..on another note... Just played a game where I had one piloted shredder vs a full field. He kills my shredder with the last attack and a doomsayer spawns and completely wiped the board... I didn't think that that was possible

It is and it's pure gold when it does...unless you're on the receiving end.

Think it's a pretty week night in arena. After struggling to get back to 3 wins for the past couple weeks and giving up for the past week entirely I'm finally getting positive wins again...even with a shitty hunter deck. And I don't remember the last time I used a hunter in Arena.

Triz

Arena can really match you against crazy difficult and just dumb players. I have a mad bomber up on turn 2. Hunter plays animal companion and it pulls a boar with charge. He then Hunter marks my bomber before he kills it? I just sat there going wtf?

Gazlowe doing some work, pulling some overtime.

Gazlowe is one of the most fun cards to play with in GvG in my opinion.

I run him in a Druid deck right now and it's just crazy fun when you manage to stall and build up spare parts. Sadly I'm still missing Toshley and some other key cards like Ancient of Lore but even without those it's really fun.

Danj

I just got into a match where the opposing player immediately conceded, is that some sort of bot or bug or something? Not that I mind, I'm rank 19 now >.>

_DrMario_

I just got into a match where the opposing player immediately conceded, is that some sort of bot or bug or something? Not that I mind, I'm rank 19 now >.>

People that stay in lowest rank possible to farm gold faster. Win one. Lose one. Repeat.

Xanathus

How does that get you gold though? You have to win 3 games to even get 10 gold. And I'm back down to rank 20 again after a string of losses :(

You don't have to get 3 wins consecutively. Also people don't really do that for gold but to actually get 500 cumulative wins on a hero to get the golden hero portrait.

Danj

And now I just seem to keep losing, I must be doing something wrong - I'm using the deck that was recommended earlier, but I keep getting my ass kicked, particularly because there's only 2 minions with Taunt in this deck so I have no real defense.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Rank 19-20 are a bit rough because of all the farmers. People stay at those ranks to farm newbies for quick gold and wins towards golden portraits. I found life is a bit easier for a few ranks once you hit 18.

What deck are you using? Some decks can take a bit of practice to learn.

Heropon

These people with golden portraits are terrible. The last one waited until the rope started burning to do something and I conceded immediately. I've had enough of their bullshit.

And now I just seem to keep losing, I must be doing something wrong - I'm using the deck that was recommended earlier, but I keep getting my ass kicked, particularly because there's only 2 minions with Taunt in this deck so I have no real defense.

The thing to remember about taunts is, that in large part they suck. You're giving up health and/or attack for what is normally a stall tactic. Relying on taunts is not a good idea, which is why so few decks run them anymore aside from Sludge Belcher which sees a lot of use because he's a double stall tactic for 1 mana less than sunwalker.

Your best defense is a good offense. Your opponent should be trading into your minions unless they are an all out to the face deck, and if you're running into a lot of them then you need something that counters that playstyle in the form of early control... Zoo or early control paladin do wonders against that play style, as does mech mage.

These people with golden portraits are terrible. The last one waited until the rope started burning to do something and I conceded immediately. I've had enough of their bullshit.

Yeah... good job reinforcing them on their winning strategy... You want someone to stop burning rope... Burn rope yourself. Nothing a time waster hates more than having their own time wasted.

Celegus

Which is why I'm always doing something else while playing. Reading a book, exercising, doing homework, etc. Waste my time all day, I don't care!

dralla

You'll realize in time that taunt's are situational and it's better to have other cards in your deck as they usually have better stats/effects. If you're playing a slower, more control style deck, you'll have some taunts in there (Sludge Belcher most likely). There are also cards like Sunfury Protector or Defender of Argus that give other minions taunt. If you're playing against hyper aggressive decks taunts can be useful for sure, but again, that's a situational/match up thing. You're gonna be trading with the opponents minions anyway, regardless of taunt, it's better to have more effective cards so you come out ahead on those trades. That being said, if you'd be more comfortable with some taunts in your deck you should add them, especially if you're new, as experimentation is a good thing.

Heropon

Yeah... good job reinforcing them on their winning strategy... You want someone to stop burning rope... Burn rope yourself. Nothing a time waster hates more than having their own time wasted.

When I thought about it later I regretted it but but I was pretty burned. The next time I'll do what you said.

Which is why I'm always doing something else while playing. Reading a book, exercising, doing homework, etc. Waste my time all day, I don't care!

And this too.

JSR_Cube

I agree. I could never play Hearthstone on my PC ever again. I just carry the iPad around and do other stuff at the same time.

Rapstah

I used to watch Hearthstone streamers while playing Hearthstone and it really confused me. I recommend trying it at least once.

Drafted a horrible priest deck in arena and went 0-3. On the last game, arleady 0-2 the Hunter drops a stealth minion on turn 2 then gives it taunt on turn 3 and doesnt attack with it the whole game..so I can never go face as I didn't draw a single silence or when he buffed it to a 9-3 I didn't draw my minion that kills a 7 attack or more minion.

Far out that was a shit game, made me so angry.

Rapstah

Drafted a horrible priest deck in arena and went 0-3. On the last game, arleady 0-2 the Hunter drops a stealth minion on turn 2 then gives it taunt on turn 3 and doesnt attack with it the whole game..so I can never go face as I didn't draw a single silence or when he buffed it to a 9-3 I didn't draw my minion that kills a 7 attack or more minion.

Far out that was a shit game, made me so angry.
Taunt doesn't actually do anything on stealthed minions.

ZZMitch

Really? Confident I tried to go face and was unable to. Im also somewhat drunk so maybe I did not.

Good to know for future then lol.

Lol he was probably so surprised you never attacked him! But yeah stealth cancels out taunt. I learned something new out stealth this week and I've been playing almost a year. I had an Ogre Brute and attacked face while he had a Stranglethorn Tiger on the board. My Ogre attacked into the Tiger instead and actually unstealthed the tiger, turned it into a Magma Rager pretty much. Kinda cool!

Rapstah

Lol he was probably so surprised you never attacked him! But yeah stealth cancels out taunt. I learned something new out stealth this week and I've been playing almost a year. I had an Ogre Brute and attacked face while he had a Stranglethorn Tiger on the board. My Ogre attacked into the Tiger instead and actually unstealthed the tiger, turned it into a Magma Rager pretty much. Kinda cool!

Apparently, the thing that unstealths a minion is the "minion deals damage" trigger and not the "minion attacks" trigger. Knife Juggler unstealths itself when it throws a knife because the game tracks that damage back to the Knife Juggler. Imp Master unstealths itself when it deals damage to itself at the end of your turn, because the game doesn't actually care what the minion deals damage to.

The difference between the "deals damage" trigger and the "attacks" trigger is also the reason why Foe Reaper doesn't deal damage to itself twice if you use Betrayal on it. Note the difference in card text between it and Snowchugger, which will freeze the minions it hits if you use Betrayal on it, since its effect is tied to the "deals damage" trigger and not the "attacks" trigger:

Foe-Reaper-4000.png

463-8888888-standard-1416852972.png

JesseZao

I feel like cruel taskmaster should benefit from spell power :/. (I got a thalnos from a shredder and wanted to try it.)

Any other minions with battlecries that say deal x damage, but don't get buffed by spell power? Is it just that battlecries are immune?

Rapstah

I feel like cruel taskmaster should benefit from spell power :/. (I got a thalnos from a shredder and wanted to try it.)

Any other minions with battlecries that say deal x damage, but don't get buffed by spell power? Is it just that battlecries are immune?

Battlecries and hero abilities never benefit from spell power, and neither do the sub-spells in (edit: clarification) Battlecries that come in the form of "choose one". All other damage-dealing spells do, even ones that aren't obvious like Blade Flurry and Shadowflame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom