• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

Dahbomb

I wouldn't say Hydrologist is a S tier card, just a very solid card. Probably a 4 star card at this point. It mostly sees play because Paladin actually does not have anything else that's good in the slot.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Is radiant elemental really that insane too? Seems like another 4 star card.

I think vilespine is more of a 5 star card than radiant elemental.

Blizzard

Banned
The Quest rogue deck looks nice. maybe add Vanish to cause maximum tilt

Idk bout those Taunt Warrior decks. The only Taunt war decks I've liked are the control warrior variants. I'd drop that 0/7 taunt and replace with cornered sentry since you got 2 whirlwinds but no sleep w/fishes. I still dont know tho since no brawl and the other Wallet warrior essentials

and why curator you have no dragons in there?
Thanks for the comments.

About Vanish, I can sort of understand the appeal (if you don't have board advantage, it clears?) but for 6, or 3 if you're lucky with preparation, I feel like you'd be low on mana after using it. Of course if you have charge minions it might still be okay. Also, I used to have a Backstab but replaced it with Patches. I sort of miss it because I started running into situations where I couldn't kill my own Igneous Elementals.

I didn't think to add another dragon. I don't have primordial drake so I swapped something else in. I haven't tried that deck at all yet.

Crosseyes

Banned
Man these mage decks were really getting to me lately. Tempo mage style turn 1-4 filling in gaps with the glyph. Then turn 5-8 or so they can completely stall you out with frost nova, blizzards, and whatever extra freeze they need from the glyph. Then they 2 or 3 turn OTK you behind ice blocks with burn from hand or extra blocks/burn from the glyph.

Man, that glyph sure is pretty good.

But then I slotted in a flare. Greetings Traveler.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
It's hard for me to pick out what the 5-star cards are right now. There's so many good but not terribly OP cards in this set that trying to figure out where the line is is kinda tough.

Dahbomb

Arcanologist, Firefly, Primordial Glyph, Kalimos, Razormaw, Jeweled McCaw, Vilespine Slayer are easy 5/5s for me. These cards are auto includes in the decks that can use them.

The other cards listed are probably 4 out of 5s.

That said none of the 5 out of 5s are busted, must nerf territory. At least not yet.

jerd

Firefly has been a pretty neat surprise. It doesn't do anything super broken it's just a solid value card

Glyph is gross though and I think it's secretly biased towards freeze effects

ZealousD

Not convinced that Vinespine Slayer is 5/5. Quest Rogue doesn't run it and some Miracle lists are only including one copy. If that holds the card could even be 3/5.

wiibomb

My question here with about 2 weeks of ungoro is which cards should be nerfed?

So far I don't see any, patches may be, but from ungoro itself everything seems really well balanced.

A 5 star card could easily come with all these cards that are just never leaving a class, like arcanologist or herbologist.

Firefly is right now just a very good situational card, but I don't see it yet as a 5*

Vilespine slayer is just as played as assasinate itself, somewhat scarcely, even if the card is really nice.

Lyra surprisingly seems to be the case, it is just put in all priest decks now.

Vilespine is great it's just, as with the majority of single target removal, it's mediocre and/or too slow against aggro. Considering the ridiculous amount of aggro we have right now it makes sense for Vilespine to not be seeing much play.

TankUP

Stonehill defender and primordial Drake are 5 star cards imo. I thought Stonehill was going to be trash, but it's actually really good. Especially in warrior and paladin, two of the best classes at the moment.

Drake I was in love with as soon as I saw it.

Dahbomb

Not convinced that Vinespine Slayer is 5/5. Quest Rogue doesn't run it and some Miracle lists are only including one copy. If that holds the card could even be 3/5.
When you play something like Handlock or Taunt Warrior then you get hit by one of those... then you will realize how crazy that card is.

The card is seeing play DESPITE there being an aggro meta. If the meta was even a tad bit slower, every Miracoli deck would slot two of those in.

Firefly is right now just a very good situational card, but I don't see it yet as a 5*
What is situational about this card?

Are you playing an Elemental deck? Then you toss two of these in without thinking.

Are you playing an aggressive deck with a fast curve? Slot two of these in without thinking, even in fast Hunter decks.

Are you playing a Quest Rogue? Might as well slot this in too with Igneous Elemental.

Handbuff Paladin? Throw these in for sure.

This might be the strongest neutral 1 drop in the game right now. And 1 drops are inherently busted in the game. This card has too much utility and power for a 2 drop... in many cases it doubles as a 2 drop with split stats.

This is a no brainer 5/5 card for me personally. I had it as a 4/5 in my initial review but of course I was being cautious in reviewing hence I didn't have many 5/5s to begin with. But this is a 5/5 card. This isn't a flashy card, it's not going to demolish the opponent single handedly, it's not going to create big swings... it's a consistent, reliable card that ups your win rate marginally.

scarlet

My question here with about 2 weeks of ungoro is which cards should be nerfed?

So far I don't see any, patches may be, but from ungoro itself everything seems really well balanced.

A 5 star card could easily come with all these cards that are just never leaving a class, like arcanologist or herbologist.

Vilespine slayer is just as played as assasinate itself, somewhat scarcely, even if the card is really nice.

Lyra surprisingly seems to be the case, it is just put in all priest decks now.

It's quite balance.

I was wrong about the hunter quest. I thought it'd be good.

Also Lyra which I thought it'd be terrible.

Dahbomb

Right now I am looking at these cards that I called wrong or close to it:

Sherazin: I was reviewing this card blind on my phone, never seen it before. I thought this was a 5 cost card instead of a 4 card. I gave it a 2 out of 5... this card is easy 4 out of 5 so yeah I was wrong.

Emerald Reaver: I still think this card is extremely usable in Face Hunter but no one is really using Face Hunter and instead using Mid-range Hunter. I have seen this card used against me and I have it in my list but it's not wide spread enough so my original 4/5 rating is going to get blasted.

Raptor Hatchling: I gave this card a 3/5 but this is probably a 1 now that Quest Hunter isn't good and Hunter has way too many 1 drop options as it is. We'll see what we give it on the re-review.

Razorpetal Lasher: I gave this card a 2/5 because it's very cost inefficient and to be honest it still is but this card is seeing quite a bit of play. It still doesn't feel like a 4/5 card in terms of power level but we'll see how it holds later on. I personally think Xaril is generally better but again.. not a Rogue player.

Envenom Weapon: I gave this card a 4/5 and I still think this card is very powerful, just getting slept on. But if this card ends up being 2/5 when all is said and done then that's another Rogue card I am getting put notice on.

Living Mana: Gave it a 2/5 because I never really understood the mechanics of the card. I have tried using this card but this card is seriously clunky. You use this on 5 mana and you can't even use Savage Roar on an open board after it. I think it's usable as a 1 of in Token Aggro Druid so it's probably a 3/5 when all is said and done.

Honorable mention: Rogue Quest. I gave the Rogue Quest a 3/5 because I didn't know where it would end up being. I knew the quest reward was powerful but the deck built to make that happen was questionable. Turns out it was pretty easy to activate and get going so that improved my opinion a lot. I think when all is said and done this will be a 4/5 Quest so I would be safe from the blast but it's still better than my expectations.

Hunter/Paladin/Warlock/Druid Quests: Depending on how we re-review these... if any of these get a 1 star then it's a blast because most of these I opted to safe pick at 3/5s.

Most other cards I feel I was pretty correct on, not getting more than a point off when we finish re-reviewing. As always the Rogue cards get me.

KuroNeeko

Arcanologist, Firefly, Primordial Glyph, Kalimos, Razormaw, Jeweled McCaw, Vilespine Slayer are easy 5/5s for me. These cards are auto includes in the decks that can use them.

The other cards listed are probably 4 out of 5s.

That said none of the 5 out of 5s are busted, must nerf territory. At least not yet.

SHADOW VISIONS!

Dahbomb

SHADOW VISIONS!
Probably 4/5 right now but I think this is one of those cards that is getting a bit overblown because:

A) People remember when they get blasted by multiple Dragonfire Potions off of Shadow Visions.

B) People forget to remember that Priest had to float 2 mana to use this card in advance.

I have won quite a few games where Priests tried to gamble this card through a float and then couldn't stabilize long enough. The card is definitely better than I expected but this is like no where near the power level of Primordial Glyph.

Now granted there is that exploit with Shadow Vision that I am not taking into account when reviewing this card because that's probably going to get fixed.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I wouldn't say Hydrologist is a S tier card, just a very solid card. Probably a 4 star card at this point. It mostly sees play because Paladin actually does not have anything else that's good in the slot.
Getting Eye can be the win condition for the Mage matchup. It makes Hydrologist pretty important.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fPRN77anmE

.eJwNzLsNwyAQANBd6M33AOMJ0mcAhPAJLNlgwaWKsnvcvuJ92WecbGOV6J6bEPsxcx87n9RHKshL7-XEdB-T536JRJRyvbDRFMoH65UGZ_yqLRjjhZGgwILUj7vV2aDFC9Og-nQN4zsPxDZrpyhhUWFRPkrNwXAr-d0K-_0BOWwspw.ll7H1e0Vb-90bZBaMziejlq1OvM

Lyng

Had to go back to miracle rogue. With the amount of rogues on ladder I had to. Easiest way to rank up for me, because a lot of the ones I meet only won due to cross class clownfiesta, they are usually shit in mirror. (rank 12 only)

Had to go back to miracle rogue. With the amount of rogues on ladder I had to. Easiest way to rank up for me, because a lot of the ones I meet only won due to cross class clownfiesta, they are usually shit in mirror. (rank 12 only)

Miracle is great again cause I feel like you can outplay your opponent. Last set with conceal and QA it was too damn high roll felt like the mirror was not really about outplaying just drawing better.

But what about going against Quest Rogues? Isn't that matchup hard as fuck? At least it is for me. I think I've won one matchup against quest as miracle. If you're winning, I'd appreciate some pointers.

scarlet

But what about going against Quest Rogues? Isn't that matchup hard as fuck? At least it is for me. I think I've won one matchup against quest as miracle. If you're winning, I'd appreciate some pointers.

What's your list?

Miracle owned quest rogue and taunt warrior. Basically anything but aggro.

What's your list?

Miracle owned quest rogue and taunt warrior. Basically anything but aggro.

Miracle does not own quest rogue. It's probably quest rogue favored with a lot of games being won by quest getting the quest done fast enough.

For some reason first couple days of the expansion I kept hearing how miracle rogue is favored vs quest. And I won every single match as the quest rogue. Later I swapped to miracle and lost to several quest rogue. And VS live reports say quest rogue is favored by a large margin.

Standard list. Can't really post since I'm on my phone.

But yeah I'm fine against Taunt warrior and even aggro with the right opening hand, but I'm not seeing how it beats quest rogue.

Your best bet is just trying to smorc as much as possible. At least that has worked out with me. Sap on igneous can slow them down quite a bit. Just be as aggressive as possible. Gotta approach is a bit like pirate warrior, play like you're aggro. They're definitely favored, but the path to victory is aggression, especially cold blood. If you play aggressive and they don't high roll the quest, especially preparation + quest, then that is how you win.

Your best bet is just trying to smorc as much as possible. At least that has worked out with me. Sap on igneous can slow them down quite a bit. Just be as aggressive as possible. Gotta approach is a bit like pirate warrior, play like you're aggro. They're definitely favored, but the path to victory is aggression, especially cold blood. If you play aggressive and they don't high roll the quest, especially preparation + quest, then that is how you win.
Yeah that's pretty much what I've been doing. Not sure if there's enough minions though. I try to save Thalnos for turns where I can just hit them in the face with both eviscerates and a petal or two. Maybe I'll throw in Xaril for an extra body.

Zemm

Vanish and glacial freezing guy are 60% of why that class is miserable to play against.

Is it possible to find the win percentage of this deck in particular? I feel like when people say quest rogue is below 50% win ratio then that must include all the early versions which weren't optimised at all. The vanish and freeze version is way more consistent from what I'm seeing just watching twitch and playing. But I'd like to know the actual numbers if possible.

KuroNeeko

Probably 4/5 right now but I think this is one of those cards that is getting a bit overblown because:

A) People remember when they get blasted by multiple Dragonfire Potions off of Shadow Visions.

B) People forget to remember that Priest had to float 2 mana to use this card in advance.

I have won quite a few games where Priests tried to gamble this card through a float and then couldn't stabilize long enough. The card is definitely better than I expected but this is like no where near the power level of Primordial Glyph.

Now granted there is that exploit with Shadow Vision that I am not taking into account when reviewing this card because that's probably going to get fixed.

If you strictly compare it to other cards in the set, then it may rank lower. I think if you view it in the context of the Priest class and the troubles it has had with consistency (i.e. having the right removal at the right time), it is absolutely S Tier. It has been included in every notable Priest list since the expansion hit. Not splashed, either, two copies.

1) It enables combos
2) Allows players to discover from their own deck to assist removal
3) Ridiculous value when combined with Elise in control match-ups

I think it's better than Primordial Glyph since it allows you to discover from your own deck. You don't get the mana discount, but at two mana, you usually have enough left over to SW or you can use it the turn before to grab DF Potion. I personally feel like the only time you really run into mana issues is when you're spamming it with Lyra, or if you hard draw it on a breakpoint turn like turn 6 or 7 when you need a DF Potion, but draw SV instead.

If SV isn't S rank, then nothing Priest got this set or the set before is even close to S rank.

Of course, this is just my opinion. I'm not trying to put you on blast. PG seems really good, though I haven't played with it. But SV, mayne....SV is gawd tier.

Q8D3vil

Miracle used to own quest pre vanish list, now it favored quest rogue.
Quest most likely to win vs any midgame minion centric matchup. Only way for the them to win beside extremely piss poor quest draw is heavy early tempo where they abuse the first 3 turns.

zoukka

someone hit rank 1 legend with it, sjow actually following the suit too

I've faced it a couple of times and crushed it with my non-optimal decks that I use for clearing quests. Maybe it fairs better against the popular netdecks.

This seasons rank 5 was the easiest ever, I just played random shitty decks. I guess Control Paladin was the most successful of the decks I used, seems to not have any real weaknesses. Getaway kodo from murloc and the discover a taunt/spell guys offer infinite value.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Priest floats two mana a lot anyway.

ZealousD

Shadow Visions is benefiting a lot from Radiant Elemental and Lyra the Sunshard. They are basically making all Priest spells better, and the nature of Shadow Visions means that it gets double the benefit as it is a spell that fishes for other spells. I was playing Kibler's Elise/Lyra/Medivh build last night, and I very rarely played Shadow Visions at its original cost or without some additional synergy.

So, not saying that it's bad or anything, and I'll probably be on blast in the re-review for rating it as a 2-star card, but I don't think I'd even put the card in the Top 10 for this set.

KuroNeeko

I'm probably biased because I play mostly Priest, but Primordial Drake also feels like it was underrated. It's ridonkulously strong.

I don't get to play SV with Lyra that often as it requires too much setup usually, rather I use it as a defensive too for removal, or a finished in Miracle.

I can accept 4/5, but 2/5 seems like Crazy Town. It's gotta be the top for this set, easily!

Pooya

Tutor effects are very powerful in any card game. Shadow Visions is powerful the same way Arcanologist is. You're bending the rules of a card game and your deck.

You can expect every priest deck to run shadow visions as long as it's available. It addresses the main weakness of priest, having the right cards/answers in your hand.

According to Reddit, one of the Hearthstone devs recently said they are going to try to find a way to get old Wild cards easily by the end of the year. I wouldn't disenchant unless you're certain you'll never play Wild again.

Tutor effects are very powerful in any card game. Shadow Visions is powerful the same way Arcanologist is. You're bending the rules of a card game and your deck.

You can expect every priest deck to run shadow visions as long as it's available. It addresses the main weakness of priest, having the right cards/answers in your hand.

On that note, do we have our first tutor effects in the game now? I'm really happy about that.

ZealousD

On that note, do we have our first tutor effects in the game now? I'm really happy about that.

Depends on how strictly or liberally you're defining "tutor". Especially since there aren't any cards that are doing exactly what the tutor cards in MTG do.

Top Bottom