• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade (Ninja Theory, PS4/PC, UE4) - Gameplay Trailer

CHC

Ouch.... "Through the lens of mental illness" is really cringeworthy. Good intentions, clumsy execution.

ViviOggi

"Throug the lens of mental illness" huh? Are they contracting an actual writer like with their pre-DmC games or is Tameem doing it again, because that'd be a mind-boggling edgefest

Ashes

Banned
It's probably going to do it more justice than you think.

If it does, call me out on it. & I will retract my words, and apologise.

This certainly won't be the first game or media to lend supposed credibility to it self by wheeling out experts. It's good pr. They all do it. Whether it's dance lessons in toy story 3 to military advisers in COD.

Factors such as unpredictability and association with violence make for good drama but don't help the perception of the mental health community. The vast majority of whom are tinged with this stereotype.

I myself am learning the error of my ways in the fiction that I am writing. This is perhaps why I am reacting as I am of course. But whatever.

GavinUK86

Looks great. They've never mentioned the mental illness thing in any of their previous videos so that came as a surprise. I gathered Senua was literally travelling to Hell not in her own kind of Hell. It's more interesting now though, that's for sure.

edit: I wonder if they added the mental illness thing later on. That's how it sounds when I read this:

The project is being supported by the Wellcome Trust, a global charitable foundation which aims to build greater public understanding of science and health. The Trust's Creative Partnerships Manager Iain Dodgeson explained why they were keen to back the game: "More and more, games have an exciting and innovative role to play in giving us new perspectives on health and mental health challenges. Rather than being a didactic game teaching us about psychosis, Hellblade allows us to explore it through the creation of a compelling and complex character, and the world that she inhabits."

They realised they couldn't achieve what they really wanted with their limited budget so they made it all in her head which allowed them to partner with the Wellcome trust.

*tin foil hat off*

I actually dig the art design even if it is a little rough around the edges. In particular, I liked the way the forest looked when the protagonist is running through it. I also think the premise of the game seems interesting, and with Ninja Theory behind it, I have little doubt that it will be a solid title.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I would have liked it if they kept this as a more dumb hack n' slash thing. Having this personal element involved isn't really enticing.

Arrage

Banned
The landscape looks like something that is made with a heightmap and following a basic UE4 landscape texture tutorial.

Not impressed by anything, the game looks basic and the quick trailer cuts barely shown a sense of gameplay.

Aikidoka

If it does, call me out on it. & I will retract my words, and apologise.

This certainly won't be the first game or media to lend supposed credibility to it self by wheeling out experts. It's good pr. They all do it. Whether it's dance lessons in toy story 3 to military advisers in COD.

Factors such as unpredictability and association with violence make for good drama but don't help the perception of the mental health community. The vast majority of whom are tinged with this stereotype.

I myself am learning the error of my ways in the fiction that I am writing. This is perhaps why I am reacting as I am of course. But whatever.

And what exactly makes you think they are doing a bad job tackling mental illness? Just a knee-jerk reaction? In the dev diary, Ninja Theory was pretty clear that Senua is not violent because of her mental illness; rather it was her violent past as a very accomplished Celtic warrior fighting against the Vikings that really lead to her severe psychosis. Senua is not a character just going on a violent rampage because she's crazy, but someone who is fighting (figuratively) to come to grips with her anxiety, delusions, and hallucinations.

Man, i wish i knew too. It looks like some scripted QTE combat or similar stuff

Lets see what more they have, i guess

The combat is far from scripted or QTE based. If you want a better look at what they're planning, they released a developer diary a few months back of two of the devs doing PvP. Just a rough prototype of the combat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovov5djvEdc

border

"Developing Hellblade independently gives us the freedom to tackle a subject as challenging as mental health. It is a subject that we are handling with all the respect it deserves, ensuring that our portrayal of Senua’s condition is both accurate and sensitive."

Lol -- really?

deeptech

The combat is far from scripted or QTE based. If you want a better look at what they're planning, they released a developer diary a few months back of two of the devs doing PvP. Just a rough prototype of the combat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovov5djvEdc

That's something i can ride with, as long as there is some depth and not just blocking and mashing attack button. Thank you for the video, the trailer got me little worried as i was looking forward to play it

Kinyou

"Developing Hellblade independently gives us the freedom to tackle a subject as challenging as mental health. It is a subject that we are handling with all the respect it deserves, ensuring that our portrayal of Senua’s condition is both accurate and sensitive."

Lol -- really?
That they're actually backed by the wellcometrust mental health charity makes me assume that's more than just a marketing quip. In the dev diary they seem already to go out of their way to point out that the violence isn't caused by her mental illness.

tuxfool

Banned

Lol -- really?

Getting a charitable foundation to engage with them and a knowledgeable consultant, speaks to their sincerity...

Aikidoka

That's something i can ride with, as long as there is some depth and not just blocking and mashing attack button. Thank you for the video, the trailer got me little worried as i was looking forward to play it

My hope is that they will show off their demo at E3. From the video, they obviously have a solid length demo but have only shown 5 seconds of it, which would be a waste of resources if that's all they did with it. Then, we can actually see how they've implemented the more advanced ideas of having directional charge attacks and directional blocks.

hesido

One can tell just by looking at the face in the OP and tell this is a Ninja Theory game. She has that Ninja Theory look (I can't decide if having that distinctive look is good or bad for all these different games, but I guess it's the same person designing the protagonists)

Now on to the youtube video!

Edit: Looking nice.. Hope they add some motion blur tho :)

I've always maintained that pre-E3 is the best time to drop new trailers. Everyone's gearing up, getting hyped and scouring the web for leaks and info. If you drop it during E3 it gets drowned out.
Yeah, that's what I think too.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
"Gameplay" trailers these days...
Seriously. I'm far more offended by this trailer being called "gameplay trailer" than I am with anything regarding mental illness. It's nothing but cinematic cut scenes, except like 2-3 sword slashes and something that almost looked like a QTE "dodge".

Call it a "cinematic trailer" or whatever, but this is insulting. Reminds me of the "gameplay trailer" for The Order which showed 95% cut-scene and the rest was generic gunplay and QTEs.

Your comment is really ironic considering they're actually supported by a mental health group which hopes that people will get a new perspective on these issues through the game. But nope, just call them dicks because you read mental illness.
Yeah people seem to be jumping to conclusions here. I understand that DmC's writing was utter shit, and maybe this game will have shit writing too, but I don't think they're going out of their way to be offensive and tacky with regards to mental illness here...

Kuni

giphy.gif

I like

Harlequin

Yep Looks like a Ninja Theory game.
Now we wait for the clunky controls and style over substance gameplay.

You should prepare for a long wait then. That's not what they're going for with this game and anyone who's been following their development blog and dev diaries knows that. The amount of idiotic kneejerk reactions in this thread from people who've never bothered to educate themselves one bit on the game would be hilarious if it wasn't so frustrating.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
What's special about it is their independent AAA approach and their open development. Whether the game itself is going to special remains to be seen but the project certainly is special and if it succeeds it could really become an exciting new way for developers to independently create the games they want to create at a quality and scope that can compete with AAA big-budget titles.

Yeah,that's why I said so far.

border

That they're actually backed by the wellcometrust mental health charity makes me assume that's more than just a marketing quip. In the dev diary they seem already to go out of their way to point out that the violence isn't caused by her mental illness.

Getting a charitable foundation to engage with them and a knowledgeable consultant, speaks to their sincerity...

So specifically speaking, which mental illness involves fighting giant flaming monsters with a sword? They are promising an accurate, true to life representation here.

They ought to just drop the "this is realistic" stuff, because in a best case scenario they're only going to end up painting a picture of the worst possible mental illness when most cases are much more mild and manageable.

dreamfall

I enjoyed it! I'd like some better indication of how combat will work, but the rain looked pretty. Those tag lines about Mental Illness feel a bit strange, but excited regardless!

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well that "gameplay" trailer was bunk and the parts that were gameplay the camera was way too close to properly judge anything going on.

Harlequin

So specifically speaking, which mental illness involves fighting giant flaming monsters with a sword? They are promising an accurate, true to life representation here.

They ought to just drop the "this is realistic" stuff, because in a best case scenario they're only going to end up painting a picture of the worst possible mental illness when most cases are much more mild and manageable.

Watch the dev diary. *sigh*

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

In the dev diary the following is stated:
When it comes to combat, the violence experienced is not a result of Senua's mental illness. The trauma and violence of Senua's past has resulted in her condition, not the other way around. This darkness and fear is that Senua constantly battles is inextricably tied to the trauma of the viking invasion. The vikings are real, they're a real threat to her that she must battle with, but to her, through her eyes, they seem exaggerated, hellish, monstrous.

Right now it seems to be the most basic form of what they're planning to do with her perception when it comes to combat.

faridmon

You should prepare for a long wait then. That's not what they're going for with this game and anyone who's been following their development blog and dev diaries knows that. The amount of idiotic kneejerk reactions in this thread from people who've never bothered to educate themselves one bit on the game would be hilarious if it wasn't so frustrating.

Thats exactly what is and please refrain from looking like an idiot yourself. Their graphical style have a common theme through out. The grainy look and the forced textures on every surface is a staple of Ninja Theory games. Their art style is also very showing there with a wired shadowing effect and cloth physics that tends to weave.

And I haven't commented on their themes or storyline....

synce

This is what classifies as a gameplay trailer these days? I still have no fucking clue how this game plays. The camera angle seems very weird if it's supposed to be a hack and slash

zennyzz

Thank you but that's a 10 minute video of mostly talking and an unfinished game. I was hoping for polished gameplay footage and nothing more

Well yeah, this game isn't dropping this year. It probably isn't even dropping next year. Development only started in September

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Thank you but that's a 10 minute video of mostly talking and an unfinished game. I was hoping for polished gameplay footage and nothing more
Yea that's pretty much impossible at this stage. Game is still a long way out. One of the goals of the project is to be as transparent as possible with the game development process. Part of that is seeing a lot of the unfinished animations, placeholder textures(or bits of proof of concept videos) & glitches etc. instead of a super polished gameplay presentations. Although they do have a vertical slice it's doesn't seem to be polished, think they only had two weeks to iron out some issues from playtests. Regarding the camera, the plan:it stays behind Senua, very similar to an over the shoulder perspective as it would be too expensive to make a dynamic camera like in say DmC. I also agree with the sentiment that this was not a good gameplay trailer, it should've been called a teaser.

Harlequin

Thats exactly what is and please refrain from looking like an idiot yourself. Their graphical style have a common theme through out. The grainy look and the forced textures on every surface is a staple of Ninja Theory games. Their art style is also very showing there with a wired shadowing effect and cloth physics that tends to weave.

And I haven't commented on their themes or storyline....

Oh, right. So because they're using film grain you can already tell that the gameplay is going to be style over substance? Give me a fucking break. Everything they've said in past blog entries and dev diaries proves that that's not at all what they're going for with Hellblade. This one entry alone shows that they're doing the exact opposite, in fact: http://www.hellblade.com/?p=17730

Top Bottom