• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers 2 |OT| Another bug infested game

bitbydeath

Extreme difficulty is a bit too extreme for me.
Non-stop enemies in every direction is insane, I can’t imagine how the harder difficulties tops that.

The Stig

Who needs a jump pack? (I got run over by a charger and then..........)

Also terminid activity is WAY up. my latest extraction on level 6 was crawling with so many bugs like it level 8 or 9

20240324123025-1.jpg

The Stig

i agree with 7.

i almost always meet gfood players at that level. anything lower is more and more of a gamble the lower you go.

Spyxos

Gold Member
I haven't played for a few days. Today I came back and after a few minutes I couldn't even shoot and 1-2 minutes later I couldn't call stratagems either. The game is falling apart more and more.

I haven't played for a few days. Today I came back and after a few minutes I couldn't even shoot and 1-2 minutes later I couldn't call stratagems either. The game is falling apart more and more.
Yeah this is why I'm sort of dropping the game. It's really good when it works, but there's soo many technical issues, or gameplay issues. Spear still doesnt work reliably, enemies still spawn near you. Gameplay mechanics work backwards (this is just weird - basically the more nests and factories you blow up the heavier the enemy patrols become). I love the game , but this thing should have cooked for another 6 months, although who knows maybe we would still have the same issues.

gatti-man

Yeah this is why I'm sort of dropping the game. It's really good when it works, but there's soo many technical issues, or gameplay issues. Spear still doesnt work reliably, enemies still spawn near you. Gameplay mechanics work backwards (this is just weird - basically the more nests and factories you blow up the heavier the enemy patrols become). I love the game , but this thing should have cooked for another 6 months, although who knows maybe we would still have the same issues.
So you think that when you’re in enemy territory you wouldn’t attract more attention the more stuff you blow up? Why would you expect enemies to not spawn near you? These complaints make no sense.

When you’re playing high level you run and gun. Strike and move. If you try and clear out areas you’re going to get worked.

chlorate

While it’s bugged, I’ve found the Arc Thrower to be really busted in terms of how it shreds any bug smaller than a Charger while still being OK vs. Chargers.

Arc/Jump Jet/Orbital EMS with the Breaker Incendiary and incendiary grenades just gives you a ton of offensive power against trash mobs and medium armor while permitting escapes at will. The fourth stratagem slot is up to you but I tend to like the 110mm rocket pods for more anti-heavy armor.

I'm still on the fence about this game. I want to help spread democracy, but is it hard to get into for a n00b like me?

I've watched numerous vids and the sheer chaos seems fun as hell.
I've played horde games and cover shooters for years, but this is new to me.

Im seeing terms like not Meta, stratagems etc
Confused Rooster Teeth GIF by Achievement Hunter

Last edited:

bitbydeath

I'm still on the fence about this game. I want to help spread democracy, but is it hard to get into for a n00b like me?

It starts extremely easy, and there’s new people all the time.

DelireMan7

Give it a try. You will not regret it if you like horde games/shooters.

Stratagems are gear/weapon/air strikes you can call during mission. It's a fundamental of the game.

The game has a fun tutorial that teach the basic and the first 2/3 difficulty levels are very easy and perfect to get use to the game. And you're forced to complete each difficulty level to unlock the next one. So you'll go progressively into harder missions (and total chaos).

EDIT: It's worth noting that while the game is extremely good, it's still experience a lot of crashes and different bugs. Honestly for me on PS5, I haven't had a crash in a long time but I heard several people complaining about. Still quite some bugs

Last edited:
Give it a try. You will not regret it if you like orde games/shooters.

Stratagems are gear/weapon/air strikes you can call during mission. It's a fundamental of the game.

The game has a fun tutorial that teach the basic and the first 2/3 difficulty levels are very easy and perfect to get use to the game. And you're forced to complete each difficulty level to unlock the next one. So you'll go progressively into harder missions (and total chaos).

EDIT: It's worth noting that while the game is extremely good, it's still experience a lot of crashes and different bugs. Honestly for me on PS5, I haven't had a crash in a long time but I heard several people complaining about. Still quite some bugs
So Stratagems are kinda like score/ killstreaks which you can call in?

Seeing the amounts of fun people are having, I'll take the shot. Crashes seem like an AMD issue atm. Im gonna buy this.

Seems like a good laugh and im tired of playing cod. I want something different.

Killjoy-NL

Kinda.
They're available from the start, but they have a cooldown.
Some strategems, like the orbital laser, have a limited use.

And if you run out of mission time, you get locked out of Strategems, which could be an issue when extracting due to not being able to call in reinforcements (respawns) and airstrikes.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Seeing the amounts of fun people are having, I'll take the shot. Crashes seem like an AMD issue atm. Im gonna buy this.

Seems like a good laugh and im tired of playing cod. I want something different.
The weaponary / explosions is one of the biggest draws of the game for me.

the-top-10-helldivers-2-quotes_ms18.gif

Schmendrick

Crashes seem like an AMD issue atm.
nope. The game crashes are very common with nvidia hardware, too.
Additionally the arc weapons are currently bugged in a way that it makes the game crash much more often. Last time I played I barely could get past the ~20 minute mark without the game crashing on me while using the arc thrower for example.
Devs know and promised patching, but so far every patch has made the game worse concerning its stability. It seems that instead of tackling the basic technical issue the devs are busy throwing out content like the vehicles, mechs and the next faction.
Not trying to persuade you not to buy, because the game is simply fantastic if it works, but maybe keep an eye on your refund-window or flat out wait another ~2 months or so.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Not sure what you mean by "score/killstreak" here. I might miss some reference here.

At the beginning of the mission you choose 4 stratagems. They will be available during the mission. Most of them have unlimited use but have cooldown to use.
To call them you have to enter a specific combination (specific to each stratagem) of directional button like : ⬆️➡️⬇️⬇️⬇️. Then it will equip it (a sphere in your hand, like a grenade) and you have to throw it to determine where you want it to strike/land.

Like that you can call support weapons (machine gun, rocket launcher, flamethrower...), orbital strikes (precise strikes, gas strike, artillery barrage etc...), air fighter strikes (napalm, explosives....), support equipment (jet pack, ammunition, shield...), sentries (gatling, mortar...), vehicles (for the moment only a mech but more are coming)....

Most of the time stratagems lead to big explosion and if you're not careful funny teamkill /suicide (for example if you die while you were preparing an offensive stratagem, it will drop where you died and call a strike on your corpse and teammate close to you)

yurinka

Extreme difficulty is a bit too extreme for me.
Non-stop enemies in every direction is insane, I can’t imagine how the harder difficulties tops that.
In higher difficulties is better to avoid killing every single enemies, and instead avoid confrontation keeping a safe distance and running away when possible. In many cases when they are far, they don't attack and call for reinforcements if you don't attack first.

Try to start the mission in place of the map without enemies (where isn't painted red) and focus on the objectives instead. In addition to this, if possible go there with experienced players with the highest ship upgrades (over level 30, if possible 40-50).

It's also important to carefully choose equipment: in my case, favorites are Orbital Railcannon (1 shot kills for chargers or bile titans), Orbital Laser, 500KG bomb, Eagle straffing run (useful against eggs/nests/fabricators/groups of enemies/etc) and shield backpack. Breaker and impact grenade. I use the orange armor, which gives you improved recoil when crounching and 2 extra grenades. As special weapon I often get Machine gun, sniper rifle or EAT but depends on your tastes.

Automatons are also more difficult than bugs because they shoot.

Regarding difficulties, I suggest to don't move to the next difficulty level until you are able to complete 3 missions in a row in the previous one. Difficulty keeps changing, not sure if depending on the hour of the day, the percentage of completion or because of Joel keeps tweaking stuff. But mostly depends on what I mentioned before.

Top level players often play lower difficulty levels to loot easily wihout being harassed that frequently by enemy hordes.

It has 9 difficulty levels. The easiest one is also very fun, just with smaller and less frequent hordes of enemies.

There are only a few things locked to the highest difficulty levels: a few enemy and mission types and certain loot needed for stuff you can unlock when grinded until the highest player levels.

Being a coop game where all rewards are given to all players don't need to worry for being the player who gets more kills, higher accuracy, collects more loot, etc. Until you get more confident you can stay away at a safer distance of the enemies, kill some easier ones, and do support stuff like reviving your Rambo mates, exploring for loot, calling for ammo supplies etc. leaving the hard work to the more skilled and experienced players.

You'll keep getting rewards and will keep unlocking new weapons, armor, stratagems, ship upgrades that will make your life easier. No need to be skilled. I'm not a shooter guy, and pretty bad in competitive games. But after 100+ hours I'm level 37 (level cap is at 50), unlocked almost everything and frequently play in the highest difficulty level, which also gives way better rewards.

Last edited:
So after an hour with the game, Im now piloting the Courier of Audacity!!!

I played 4 matches yesterday and the last one was cool as Hell!

We did a hectic run and after some ill placed Orbital strikes 1 of our teammates got launched up in the air as the Dropship arrived.
Needless to say, he died properly.

The Pelican lands, me and the remaining 2 made a beeline for extraction, but as soon as we were about to enter, we all froze.
Leave no man behind was what we were thinking. So no-one entered the Pelican and instead we waited for the reinforcement cooldown to stop, decimating 2 waves of enemies in the process.

The downed teammate was the only one who used his mic at this point and said "Guys, go!"
But we stayed.

Cooldown stopped, I got him back and all 4 of us boarded the Pelican.
He then expressed his gratitude by saying "Wow guys, this is something, thank you!"

All this without communicating with each other. It was a shared sense of comradery.

Shit's awesome!!

Anyone here in the EU region who'd like to play with comms?

Last edited:

[Sigma]

Even after all this time, I still can't help but laugh at the physics and logic in relation to all things Charger lol. That still hasn't gotten old 150+ hours in. They really create some wild and hilarious moments.

So the friends stuff is still broken? My friends are on Steam, I'm on PS5. There is no way to play together now; I'm thinking of just getting a steam copy and starting anew. Wtf.
Did you link your Steam account with a PSN account? I didnt and im not sure that could be the issue?

FingerBang

Did you link your Steam account with a PSN account? I didnt and im not sure that could be the issue?
My friends on Steam did it, I'm on PS so don't think I can add my Steam account. We tried using friend codes, don't think there's any other way. I have read on Discord some people have been able to accept those requests days after the patch. I might try again later.

Installing this tonight. A lot of games have a certain mist to them. Hogwarts had this and so does HD2. Like there is a layer of grey applied to the game.
Thank God for ReShade.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Took them long enough

When are they going to fix :

- Character load out reset every time you boot the game ? (introduced 2 patches ago)

- tutorial messages that keep popping up ? (introduced 2 patches ago)

- getting stuck in the geometry when head-butted by large enemies ? (this has always been a thing I think)

- that freshly introduced grey rectangle graphical bug that keeps flashing on the top part of the screen when booting up the game ? (introduced 2 patches ago)

Last edited:

Installing this tonight. A lot of games have a certain mist to them. Hogwarts had this and so does HD2. Like there is a layer of grey applied to the game.
Thank God for ReShade.
You could also just increase the contrast and saturation on your monitor..

You could also just increase the contrast and saturation on your monitor..
Nope doesnt help. Neither does another Gamma profile. Other games such as CoD, Robocop, Ready or Not, etc dont have this issue.

Its a form of fog filter. Its way less in HD2, but in Hogwarts Legacy its just painful.
Just look at the screenshots in the link. You'll see it.

It could be just lil' old me nitpicking, but I find it very irritating.

Last edited:
So what are the top stratagems these days? Not a huge fan of the arc thrower, best alternative weapons?

Very bored of the shield pack as well, what's a good alternative?

And did we ever decide what the best Eagle strikes are?

Spyxos

Gold Member
Bit of a hot take, the Robots are far too hard and OP
It's not without reason that almost 80% of players only play against the Bugs.

Thank God for ReShade.
I have never tried reshade. Is it easy to install and can you get banned for it? I vaguely remember that some people were banned for reshade in rdr2.

SCB3

It's not without reason that almost 80% of players only play against the Bugs.

I have never tried reshade. Is it easy to install and can you get banned for it? I vaguely remember that some people were banned for reshade in rdr2.
Its not so much that they're super accurate and will bop you around, but they're immune to so much more than the bugs, we have a lack of good weapons against them imo

Reshade is easy to install byw, its one exe and the bans for RDR2 were cause of Rockstars shitty launcher, I've used it on plenty of games, its only graphics settings and mods nothing game breaking

Top Bottom