• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers 2 |OT| Another bug infested game

Paltheos

Current Stratagem loadout for non-defense missions:

Eagle Airstrike
Eagle 500kg Bomb/Orbital Laser
Flamethrower/Anti-Materiel Rifle
Supply Pack/Shield Generator Pack
(Armor: The SC-exclusive light armor with +2 stims)

Now that I have +1 to all Eagle strikes, the Airstrike is virtually non-negotiable: An all-around reliable area clearer. Eagle 500kg Bomb is generally preferred for my second (now that I get two uses between rearms) and always preferred on bot missions for the easy kills on buildings, but I sometimes favor the Orbital Laser when deployment is extended for the mission. The last two are generally a matter of targets. Flamethrower/Supply Pack for bugs, AMR/Shield Generator for bots. I'll favor the Supply Pack regardless when cooldowns are doubled as my team usually needs the ammo (and grenades). My armor is because I light myself on fire allot/get trampled allot and need the extra stims.

My friends usually mess around with heavy weapons and one-shot orbital strikes for fighting heavy armor targets and they've been getting into turret placements too. I'm only just building the samples for those.

Yesterday I had my first true all-in experience with what this game has to offer.

I joined an ongoing mission. Only 1 guy (host) had a mic.
2 others were mute but they listened to the host and the asked us what we wanted to do. Objectives or destroy all bug nests and then do the objectives.

We went for the whole enchilada and man it was an experience! Host was super nice to us, taking the time to explain some stuff and guiding us.

At one point we had to allign a radar dish and 1 teammate made a beeline for it. As soon as the terminal was activated by me, the host asked for the teammate to move the dish. And he did.
Host said " bit more, bit more" and you could see the dish slightly move in the distance. It was fun as Hell.

Objective done and we saluted each othe before resupplying and moving on.

We encountered a few containers with supplies and I ended up picking up what seems to be the most powerful weapon in the game. Some sort of Arc lightning rifle.
I threatened the entire crew by running at them and screaming "You want a piece of this!?" The mutes just nodded NO and started diving all over the place. Had a good laugh!

We made it to extraction with 2 minutes to go. As soon as the Pelican was 30 seconds out we noticed an abandoned Outpost. But we decided to leave with the spoils we collected.

Got a perfect mission rating after that and made a new friend.

Gotta love Democracy!!!

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
Didn't care much for the heavy machine gun on my first run of it. Quasar cannon is a gamechanger. No ammo limit. Just a short cooldown and a long charge time that fires as soon as it charges. Can one-shot a dropship from a clip I saw.

Possibly not a one-shot seeing as how the dropship looked like it was hit by a couple autocannon shots and some laser fire first, but the quasar cannon definitely did the bulk of the damage there.

Last edited:

[Sigma]

Heavy machine after a couple of missions.

-Reload time just seems excessive
-Feels like it should have more ammo and the damage increase doesn't seem to make up for it. This doesn't seem like something im willing to carry supply pack for.
-No crosshairs in 3rd person

So far, nah im good. Will mess around with it more though in a little bit.

Quasar Cannon is really good.

Last edited:
At this point they should just revert the railgun changes. The quasar might take longer in between shots compared to the old railgun but boy does it hit hard. And since it has infinite ammo, you're not worried about saving it for a rainy day.

K' Dash

bought the game Yesterday, I'm level 11 now, why do all the primary weapons suck dick so far? they're next to fucking useless.

am I missing something?

bought the game Yesterday, I'm level 11 now, why do all the primary weapons suck dick so far? they're next to fucking useless.

am I missing something?
Dont move while shooting. Use crouch or prone for more accuracy.
Im level 7 now and have no problems killing enemies with whatever weapon. But movement kills your accuracy.

You can see the reticle move outside its centre zone when you move. As long as the reticle is over an enemy, centered or not, your shots will land.

skit_data

The arc thrower kills any automaton below the very heavy class in 2-3 shots, and because it spreads, the damage is simply nuts. By far the best weapon in the game right now.
I bought the Arc Thrower but I have yet to use it because I'm afraid I'll be killing every squadmate over and over until I have figured out exactly how it works xD

Mossybrew

Yeah, underwhelmed with the new weapons. Quasar, man that charge up time before the shot just kills it for me. It's great if you're one-shotting distant spewers or something but sitting still for that long when shit is going south is really tough. Large machine gun - too little ammo, too long a reload for what it offers.

The Stig

Yeah, underwhelmed with the new weapons. Quasar, man that charge up time before the shot just kills it for me. It's great if you're one-shotting distant spewers or something but sitting still for that long when shit is going south is really tough. Large machine gun - too little ammo, too long a reload for what it offers.
i was like this at first but after I had one-shotted 2 bile titans and 3 chargers in one session I changed my mind.

i think its important that other team members have support weapons that fire more rapidly.

i STILL prefer the railgun though. I charge that sucker right to the max before firing. I can still one shot a bile titan after the nerf.

havent tried the heavy MG, sounds interesting.

edit - also with the quasar cannon i feel it cools down more quickly if you switch out to your primary. could be my imagination though

Last edited:

Embearded

I've joined two different parties for 8 pevel mission today and they both sucked...

People waste the respawns on unimportant fights when they should know when its time to leave and regroup.
Also, they should focus on the primary objective first and then go after the others.

There was one player who repeatedly asked to respawn during an Ion storm and he left the mission....

I feel like there should be an advanced tutorial explaining the galactic war more. Also supply lines should be highlighted, and any discord posts made by the developers should be implemented into the PA system. Plus when a player logs in daily and they go to the galactic map, it should force the map view to hover over and highlight the Major Order planet objectives.
The biggest issue we have right now is when it is a Bug themed major order, the people that play against the Bots help the Bug killing community. This does not happen the other way, and there were 150k sitting on two bug planets. It was annoying losing Ubena at the last 5 percent, because only 80-100K people were on it.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I've joined two different parties for 8 pevel mission today and they both sucked...

People waste the respawns on unimportant fights when they should know when its time to leave and regroup.
Also, they should focus on the primary objective first and then go after the others.

There was one player who repeatedly asked to respawn during an Ion storm and he left the mission....
You on PS5 brother ? I'll have some games with you

Cheers

PS : having the same exact "problem"

chlorate

am I missing something?

The Diligence is a great early precision rifle vs. bots. Later, once you progress, the Breaker Incendiary is incredible vs. bug mobs and the JAR, Sickle, and Slugger all have an important place in the armory.

In general, the game is not intended to be played with only primary weapons: you need to use every slot.

In general, the game is not intended to be played with only primary weapons: you need to use every slot.
Yup, as they keep adding more weapons, it becomes really fun to come up with loadouts that cover as many scenarios as you can. I personally really love my current staple loadout: medic armor, scorcher, redeemer, stun grenades, grenade launcher, supply pack, 500kg, orbital precision strike. It's more focused on crowd control but I can still do anti-armor in a pinch. I have 12 stun grenades, 14 stims, 110 impact grenades from the launcher. 500kg and precision strike are on low cooldowns, their major downside of missing moving targets is not an issue when they're stunned. Oh, and I guess I can resupply the team when they really need it. But fuck em, budget your own supplies, I'm too busy spamming grenades.

With the upcoming warbond having a grenade pistol, I might go back to the arc thrower so I can run arc thrower and stun grenade while still having a quick way to destroy nests and fabricators.

i0dE5GX.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure about this but apparently patrol numbers massively shoot up once the main objective is finished so doing the objective first is debatable.

Anyway I'm already at the point where I just play the game for fun. I still need a ton of medals to unlock everything in the warbonds but mostly I'm just playing the game to shoot bugs and bots. I just quickplay and stick to the host, not caring whether the mission succeeds or not. They want to throw bodies at a shrieker nest cause no one brought anything that can kill it from a distance? I'll be there. They want to be sneaky and efficient? I'll be there. They want to make an epic last stand in the middle of nowhere? I can do that too.

Is it me or is there a huge difficulty increase since yesterday?

Im now level 10 and play on medium but yesterday it felt like there was a huge surge in difficulty. Also i got a quasar cannon twice even though I dont have it unlocked!?

I love this game to bits and find myself hugging fellow Helldivers way too often....

I also love the way you can use emotes in a certain situation. :D

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
Yup, as they keep adding more weapons, it becomes really fun to come up with loadouts that cover as many scenarios as you can. I personally really love my current staple loadout: medic armor, scorcher, redeemer, stun grenades, grenade launcher, supply pack, 500kg, orbital precision strike. It's more focused on crowd control but I can still do anti-armor in a pinch. I have 12 stun grenades, 14 stims, 110 impact grenades from the launcher. 500kg and precision strike are on low cooldowns, their major downside of missing moving targets is not an issue when they're stunned. Oh, and I guess I can resupply the team when they really need it. But fuck em, budget your own supplies, I'm too busy spamming grenades.

With the upcoming warbond having a grenade pistol, I might go back to the arc thrower so I can run arc thrower and stun grenade while still having a quick way to destroy nests and fabricators.

i0dE5GX.jpg
Already another one? I'm still missing around 300 credits for the current one. They come far too often.

Little Mac

Gold Member
Neogaf fam. Should I get the Cutting Edge Warbond? The sickle looks nice and it seems to be ranked S tier on alot of primary weapon tier lists. I have enough credits for it and probably the next Warbond too when it's announced, but I don't want to waste them on something I'm not going to use. I could just unlock the Dominator in the Steeled Veterans Warbond instead.

Also I need a good load out for higher difficulties. I'm rolling difficulty 5 quite comfortably with a good group but need to run 7s for the special samples. Tried 6 once in a random group and we got slaughtered.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Neogaf fam. Should I get the Cutting Edge Warbond? The sickle looks nice and it seems to be ranked S tier on alot of primary weapon tier lists. I have enough credits for it and probably the next Warbond too when it's announced, but I don't want to waste them on something I'm not going to use. I could just unlock the Dominator in the Steeled Veterans Warbond instead.

Also I need a good load out for higher difficulties. I'm rolling difficulty 5 comfortably with a good group but need to run 7s for the special samples. Tried 6 once in a random group and we got slaughtered.
Just pick whatever loadout works best for you and don't worry about what others say.

I'd say the Sickle is worth getting the Cutting Edge Warbond.
The EMP mortar is quite usefull too, started using it since yesterday and I actually like it.

Also I need a good load out for higher difficulties. I'm rolling difficulty 5 quite comfortably with a good group but need to run 7s for the special samples. Tried 6 once in a random group and we got slaughtered.
Killjoy-NL Killjoy-NL is right. Pick what works for you. The sickle is really good though, it's pretty much a straight upgrade for the default primary you start with in every way but it's definitely not a requirement to succeed. The real game changer in the Cutting Edge warbond are stun grenades. Most of the other stuff are just different ways to deal damage. Stun grenades are on demand crowd control. Still not a requirement but I love them.

For loadout, just pick a slot that you really can't do without and build around that. Either specialize or try and cover weaknesses. In a previous post, I had one focused on crowd control. I built it around having stun grenades available. Since you either only have 4-6 grenades, I choose to take the supply pack so I get even more grenades. I needed a way to destroy nests and fabricators but since I can't use autocannon cause of the supply pack, I went with the grenade launcher. That leaves me with no accurate long range weapon so I went with scorcher for a primary. Scorcher can't be used up close so I take the redeemer as my secondary. Scorcher and redemeer are ammo hogs but I have the supply pack. That leaves some anti-armor. Most people stop using orbital precision cause the call-in time takes forever but I have stun grenades. It's now an AoE railcannon that's on a 90 second cooldown. I used to think 500kg is unreliable cause of it's tiny radius but again stun grenades.

Last edited:
I'm still pick 'n Mixing whatever I fancy. The only useless weapon is the first sniper you unlock.
What a piece of shit that is.

That Anti Material Rifle tho.... Pure bliss against medium to heavy enemies. Especially Automatons.
And the Guard Dog Rover is a MUST. Its the only thing I always equip.

Killjoy-NL

Killjoy-NL Killjoy-NL is right. Pick what works for you. The sickle is really good though, it's pretty much a straight upgrade for the default primary you start with in every way but it's definitely not a requirement to succeed. The real game changer in the Cutting Edge warbond are stun grenades. Most of the other stuff are just different ways to deal damage. Stun grenades are on demand crowd control. Still not a requirement but I love them.

For loadout, just pick a slot that you really can't do without and build around that. Either specialize or try and cover weaknesses. In a previous post, I had one focused on crowd control. I built it around having stun grenades available. Since you either only have 4-6 grenades, I choose to take the supply pack so I get even more grenades. I needed a way to destroy nests and fabricators but since I can't use autocannon cause of the supply pack, I went with the grenade launcher. That leaves me with no accurate long range weapon so I went with scorcher for a primary. Scorcher can't be used up close so I take the redeemer as my secondary. Scorcher and redemeer are ammo hogs but I have the supply pack. That leaves some anti-armor. Most people stop using orbital precision cause the call-in time takes forever but I have stun grenades. It's now an AoE railcannon that's on a 90 second cooldown. I used to think 500kg is unreliable cause of it's tiny radius but again stun grenades.
Yeah, I'm still undecided between the Scorcher and Sickle as my main weapon. I do like the Scorcher a bit more, but up-close it can kill you due to the explosions.

Also love the EMP mortar in combination with the 500Kg. Usually go with those two + Railgun and the 4th strategem depends on the mission-type and/or teammates loadouts.

The only exceptions are Blitz Mission and those kill waves missions.
There I just go with dedicated strategems:
500Kg, Precision strike, Walking Barrage for Blitz.

EMP mortar, 500Kg and Tesla Tower for that kill waves type missions.

The only strategem I always pick, is the Railgun.

Mobilemofo

Got bummed on medium yesterday. Proper bummed. Team mates fecked off and left me dealing with two chargers, and a huge fuckin spider. I suicide myself once they were upon me. I think the massive spider had mild concussion but everyone else got blown apart. 😅

Yeah, I'm still undecided between the Scorcher and Sickle as my main weapon. I do like the Scorcher a bit more, but up-close it can kill you due to the explosions.

Also love the EMP mortar in combination with the 500Kg. Usually go with those two + Railgun and the 4th strategem depends on the mission-type and/or teammates loadouts.

The only exceptions are Blitz Mission and those kill waves missions.
There I just go with dedicated strategems:
500Kg, Precision strike, Walking Barrage for Blitz.

EMP mortar, 500Kg and Tesla Tower for that kill waves type missions.

The only strategem I always pick, is the Railgun.
For blitz, I take nothing but offensive strats. I just want to get the objective done and not care about anything else, not even extraction lol. Only problem are strat blockers so I have to switch to engineer armor to have 6 stun grenades and just bumrush the base to get a hellbomb deployed on the tactical objective.

Last edited:

Mobilemofo

À
I'm still pick 'n Mixing whatever I fancy. The only useless weapon is the first sniper you unlock.
What a piece of shit that is.

That Anti Material Rifle tho.... Pure bliss against medium to heavy enemies. Especially Automatons.
And the Guard Dog Rover is a MUST. Its the only thing I always equip.
You'd do more damage throwing a frozen teddy bear than that sniper rifle. It's utter, utter, shit. Should be able to mix and match gun parts in an idea world. Make your own genius weapon or total disaster.

À

You'd do more damage throwing a frozen teddy bear than that sniper rifle. It's utter, utter, shit. Should be able to mix and match gun parts in an idea world. Make your own genius weapon or total disaster.
Yup, Im now in the process of picking a new Primary, but im lost in the woods what to unlock.
I already have that shit Sniper, the basic Assault Rifle and basic Shotgun.

The Uzi I use as secondary is a hoot though! Rips through multiple weaker enemies but the clip is empty after 0.5 seconds. :D

Got bummed on medium yesterday. Proper bummed. Team mates fecked off and left me dealing with two chargers, and a huge fuckin spider. I suicide myself once they were upon me. I think the massive spider had mild concussion but everyone else got blown apart. 😅
I have a feeling that Medium difficulty has been ramped up over the weekend. Got my ass handed to me PROPERLY in a few matches yesterday. There was a huge spike in difficulty I think.

Yup, Im now in the process of picking a new Primary, but im lost in the woods what to unlock.
I already have that shit Sniper, the basic Assault Rifle and basic Shotgun.

The Uzi I use as secondary is a hoot though! Rips through multiple weaker enemies but the clip is empty after 0.5 seconds. :D
I used to run the redemeer in semi-auto but having the supply pack lets me use it in brrrt mode all the time. For primary, you should be near to unlocking the breaker which is a real workhorse.

Mobilemofo

I have a feeling that Medium difficulty has been ramped up over the weekend. Got my ass handed to me PROPERLY in a few matches yesterday. There was a huge spike in difficulty I think.
Makes sense. I'm usually shit when not in a team, but I was particularly shit on this occasion. I ended up laughing and crying...😅

Top Bottom