• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers 2 |OT| Another bug infested game

[Sigma]

Rough 4 hours of trying to help liberate Tibit for me and others. Crash, dc, crash, dc, completed mission, crash, dc, dc, crash, crashed, kick, completed mission, crash, dc. Difficult to liberate anything when it goes down for a lot people like this.

Last edited:

GymWolf

They fucking ruined the arc thrower uh...

The added stun is not gonna substitute the faster rate of fire nor the range, it feels bad now.

The quasar cannon is neat but it's kinda hard to aim and 15+ sec between shots is way too much downtime in a game where you get swarmed all the time.

ya. a week after release I searched 'helldivers' on spotify and there was a vietnam inspired playlist and it was hilarious/so fitting, all my dad's favorite jams. in-game soundtrack is pretty banging/it warns you when shits about to go down but I need that custom playlist steez
Headbang Rocking Out GIF
Uhuhuh-huh, cool!

bitbydeath

The added stun is not gonna substitute the faster rate of fire nor the range, it feels bad now.

The quasar cannon is neat but it's kinda hard to aim and 15+ sec between shots is way too much downtime in a game where you get swarmed all the time.
I’m enjoying the quasar cannon.

My main load-out is:
- The punisher shotgun - for killing light enemies and pushing medium ones back;
- The guard dog rover - for picking off any small enemies nearby and hurting medium ones;
- The quasar cannon - for large enemies;
- The orbital laser - for cleaning up when things get especially frantic.

And while I don’t have a set fourth one, I often pick the Eagle Napalm Strike - because the fires last a while after the initial strike doing damage to enemies coming out of the ground.

I don’t fight the automotons often but when I do I switch out the guard dog for the ballistic shield.

I should really add a turret/sentry to the mix but haven’t found one I like yet.

Last edited:

Sokka

I’m enjoying the quasar cannon.

My main load-out is:
- The punisher shotgun - for killing light enemies and pushing medium ones back;
- The guard dog rover - for picking off any small enemies nearby and hurting medium ones;
- The quasar cannon - for large enemies;
- The orbital laser - for cleaning up when things get especially frantic.

And while I don’t have a set fourth one, I often pick the Eagle Napalm Strike - because the fires last a while after the initial strike doing damage to enemies coming out of the ground.

I don’t fight the automotons often but when I do I switch out the guard dog for the ballistic shield.

I should really add a turret/sentry to the mix but haven’t found one I like yet.

What's your choice of grenade?

gatti-man

Quasar is a bot weapon. For bugs use something else. For bots quasar is extremely OP.

Luipadre

Im crashing after almost every extraction on the extraction screen when the ship flying away. This engine is so dogshit man. It feels like it held together with ducktapes

The Stig

I have a question for those who know the mechanics of the game better than me.

Does taking out the bug nests/holes around the map affect spawn rate/group size at all?

I've had some players say they think it does but not sure. If it doesn't I think that's a missed opportunity.

yeah the range is definitely ruined and rate of fire also.

despite the nerf I STILL use the unsafe/overcharged railgun. I charge that sucker to the very edge and I can take out chargers in 4 shots if I concentrate on 1 spot

bitbydeath

Im crashing after almost every extraction on the extraction screen when the ship flying away. This engine is so dogshit man. It feels like it held together with ducktapes
I’ve only had one crash and am level 26, are you playing on PC? Might be a memory issue?

bitbydeath

I have a question for those who know the mechanics of the game better than me.

Does taking out the bug nests/holes around the map affect spawn rate/group size at all?

I've had some players say they think it does but not sure. If it doesn't I think that's a missed opportunity.
For the area you are in it definitely does, best example is the flying bugs, they continue to spawn until you destroy their nests and once the nests are gone they no longer spawn at all.

Other bugs are less noticeable because they can spawn from anywhere and often you are constantly on the move but if you travel back through an area you’ve already cleared you should notice a lot less bugs around.

Last edited:

The Stig

For the area you are in it definitely does, best example is the flying bugs, they continue to spawn until you destroy their nests and once the nests are gone they no longer spawn at all.

Other bugs are less noticeable because they can spawn from anywhere and often you are constantly on the move but if you travel back through an area you’ve already cleared you should notice a lot less bugs around.
ahh great. thanks for that. those flyers....... URGH

The game engine is one of the best aspects of HD2. I can't think of another online game that has to process as much shit as HD2(100's horde enemies, explosions ect). The actual gameplay runs flawlessly the vast majority of the time.

The reason why all of these hiccups are happening is because Arrowhead's game engine has never been stretched in this way. And since Arrowhead is the only studio using this game engine, they have to learn on the fly by trial and error as they constantly update the game. They will eventually figure it out. It's been out less than 2 months. I get the frustration, 100% tho

Last edited:
Found this sam artillery for the first time in 100 hours of gameplay.

wtf never seen that one

I've seen them a few times before and they are kinda easy to miss if you're just running pass and avoiding stuff. their spot is basically just like a lot of the other minor interest points with a few bots guarding it and some fences around it.

I played a bunch today and I got the "crash after you finished the mission" bug a lot too. but overall I'm still enjoying it. hopping into bed now and by the time I wake up the bot sectors should be fully librated. very excited to see what Joel will throw at us next.

The Stig

The game engine is one of the best aspects of HD2. I can't think of another online game that has to process as much shit as HD2(100's horde enemies, explosions ect). The actual gameplay runs flawlessly the vast majority of the time.

The reason why all of these hiccups are happening is because Arrowhead's game engine has never been stretched in this way. And since Arrowhead is the only studio using this game engine, they have to learn on the fly by trial and air as they constantly update the game. They will eventually figure it out. It's been out less than 2 months. I get the frustration, 100% tho
Great post and good point.

Just one nitpick. It's "trial and error".

Luipadre

No new info about whether they gonna do crossprogression or not? I have it on both ps and pc, but i mostly played it on pc.

Luipadre

Damn 313k online on steam. Last automaton planet is about to fall, everyone is logging in. They fucking nailed this ongoing online narrative man.

Last edited:

The Stig

dammiit. crashed after extraction again. it wasw a glorious mission to durgan (yup, im legit nutting up and fighting the bots on level 7)

Luipadre

It will hit over 350k players on steam today
Again crazy numbers

I cannot believe how this game is so popular
Congrats again
Literally the best live service multiplayer game ever. Pace of content, ongoing and engaging online narrative. People are literally celebrating this fictional victory on reddit and discord lol. Shit is wild

It will hit over 350k players on steam today
Again crazy numbers

I cannot believe how this game is so popular
Congrats again
I feel like there are basically five factions pretty much confirmed for this game. Robots, the Bugs, there's been talks and leaks of Plant type enemies. The PA system and the Monitor talks about "rebels", and the Protoss looking things (these have been datamined) . If they ever fix all the technical and gameplay issues they'll be able to sustain the game for a long time.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member

Currently waiting for the huge "but..." to appear

something to note as the bugs are the only current way of FTL travel (we grind them down to make 710 used in our jump drives), defeating them completely is bad.

so this is what ideal victory looks like... for now.

Killjoy-NL

Niceee.

Was there in one of the final matches. I swear they must have thrown extra waves of Heavies at us.
Barely managed to extract. One of us left out of frustration before we got to the extraction point, I think.
Traitor.

Curious to see what happens next.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
Niceee.

Was there in one of the final matches. I swear they must have thrown extra waves of Heavies at us.
Barely managed to extract. One of us left out of frustration before we got to the extraction point, I think.
Traitor.

Curious to see what happens next.

Last night was fucking insane. Ran a 3-man squad through level 7 missions for samples. We completed most missions. But it was tougher than usual. Then we hit a goddamn brick wall. We had drops of three tanks, 4 hulks, many rocket devastators and dudes with shields. Multiple times in the same area. Like just out of nowhere the bots went, "Fuck those three guys in particular".

Killjoy-NL

Huh, seems we contained the Terminids as well.
So now what?

Last night was fucking insane. Ran a 3-man squad through level 7 missions for samples. We completed most missions. But it was tougher than usual. Then we hit a goddamn brick wall. We had drops of three tanks, 4 hulks, many rocket devastators and dudes with shields. Multiple times in the same area. Like just out of nowhere the bots went, "Fuck those three guys in particular".
Lol yeah, Joel must be having fun.

That's what makes this game great.

Little Mac

What if the Toasters were keeping something more sinister at bay … we’ve clearly unbalanced the space ecosystem and we’re all farked!!!

jurassic park GIF

Last edited:
Top Bottom