• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers 2 Reaches #1 on Steam Most Played, Broke 430K+ CCU

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
That's not what they're saying though. The dev said that it was 50:50 CCU between Playstation and Steam at the time when somebody was incorrectly using the steam CCU against Arrowheads CCU. It showed that the steam CCU isn't the same as the server CCU limit that Arrowhead use and can't be used for that

GDG was saying that they estimate 65-75% global LTD players are on steam, not exactly sales but possibly correlated closely. Mat was saying something completely different though, that 1 in 5 US steam DAU are playing Helldivers and 1 in 20 US PS5 DAU. These aren't the same. It has nothing to do with sales at all. It wouldn't even be true in the US in terms of sales unless PS5 users and Steam users are equal and daily engagement equal. A lot of people are making assumptions to try to make unfounded claims for their favourite platforms.

Arrowhead guy said that on 2/10 before the game really blew up. Sorry you’re sad but it seems the PC version outsold PS significantly and Arrowhead hasn’t commented on it since then. Disagree with their methodology if you want but it seems you are the person making unfounded claims for your favorite platform.

Three

Arrowhead guy said that on 2/10 before the game really blew up. Sorry you’re sad but it seems the PC version outsold PS significantly and Arrowhead hasn’t commented on it since then. Disagree with their methodology if you want but it seems you are the person making unfounded claims for your favorite platform.
I'm not sad about anything. Particularly sales being higher on PC. I even said GDGs can be correlated to sales but you need to at least know what data you're looking at. Mats, GDGs and the devs data about CCU were not the same thing at all. I know it makes you happy though for that 'win'.

FrankWza

Having DEI knitting clubs and cooking clubs during work hours, and endless inclusivity meetings when your asses should be designing and coding, yeah, It had an impact, to say otherwise is just silly. A lot of companies are starting wise up as this just doesn't impact gaming, productivity across all industries took a nose dive since this tripe. Now, some are starting to trim that fat, since they now have to answer to their shareholders.
It's impossible to get anyone to do anything nowadays. Turnaround times are completely out of whack. It's true. Every industry and profession.

Killjoy-NL

I, for one, don't mind PC having higher sales.

That way, they pay for our singleplayer exclusives on PS they in turn can port-beg for.

Win-win.

tommib

I, for one, don't mind PC having higher sales.

That way, they pay for our singleplayer exclusives on PS they in turn can port-beg for.

Win-win.
Until you release all your single player experiences are spin offs of god of war and horizon…

Killjoy-NL

GaaS should be day 1 on both systems by default. You need players for it to survive.
True, and Sony has got that right.

Like I said, win-win.

Until you release all your single player experiences are spin offs of god of war and horizon…
There's going to be a Horizon MMO, so that'll be another win-win.

Both Playstation and PC gamers benefit from it.

I mean every game
I'm sure every company out there knows they would get more sales if they sold their games to more platforms. That was never their goal though.

Playstation also makes money from selling hardware. The parent company (Sony) will always want those hardware units to be sold even if less games are sold. The reason why Sony increased the price was so they would make more bucks from those units as well.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
yeah i know. bloodborne is for babies.

"Men are stronger than women."

"Yeah because Rebecca Robert's is just a frail dainty woman."

Rebecca Roberts:
0_UK-Strongest-Man-2023.jpg

Come on people, let's not engage in these games.

Varteras

Gold Member
The problem surrounding the Fairgame$ criticism was that 100% of it was coming from single player gamers. There isn't a single multiplayer gamer who wrote the game off based on a CGI trailer.
That's quite the assumption. I play multiplayer games. A lot, actually. I wrote it off.

The PC market unquestionably has a player base that skews older, and prefers more complexity in their games. Not debatable.

judge-judy.gif
if by more complexity you mean survival crafting then yeah, sure

their ideal port would be gran turismo 7 except you are stuck on an island and have to craft the cars out of trees, and you need to drink a quart of motor oil every hour or you die

YuLY

While Helldivers 2 is a great game for sure, I think Steam is just huge these days as a platform. Last Epoch 1.0 just launched and it has 150k already. PC gaming is just thriving my dudes and dudettes.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Yup.

I said it in a post days ago somewhere, but with the way gaming is now and budgets unless a company has a proven winner that will sells tons no matter what, a game company can probably release a modest budget game, skip costly traditional marketing costs and try to promote it the internet way. Look how many PC games become big sellers and you never hear about them on TV or anything, and given the production values half the time it's got that low budget look to it instead of AAA textures and actors.

I dont use Tik Tok, but if H2 went viral on it leading to big success it shows the industry can get by doing great sales with modest budgets. it's not like traditional companies where you need mass appeal and shit like billboards, taste test kiosks and TV ads during prime time drive sales. Or else it gets lost among the crowd of products on shelf. In fact, for you gaffers who never worked in the industry, any big company selling new shit in big stores will require marketing campaign details and discount commitments to retailer head office. If the head buyer isnt convinced the company is fully committed, they wont bother taking your product. Or they will wait till you prove to them the marketing campaign starts at a certain time and they they will coordinate putting it on shelf when the marketing starts. In gaming and digital mediums, you never know which game can take off even with zero paid marketing.

And their "Pro-democracy" theme in the game and in the marketing was perfect\lucky timing when you see what's going on with Trump, Russia, Ukraine, and Israel. It hit at the "right" time.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
if by more complexity you mean survival crafting then yeah, sure

their ideal port would be gran turismo 7 except you are stuck on an island and have to craft the cars out of trees, and you need to drink a quart of motor oil every hour or you die
Survival crafting, space aims, grand strategy, 4x, engine building, sims etc...

This is a silly discussion. I'm a console gamer and I realized this years ago.

mckmas8808

The moment Sony create their own PC Storefront and miss Steam is the time those sales are gonna crater like on the Epic Store, thank god you are not a decision maker at SIE.

EXACTLY!!!! The worst thing Sony could do is create a PC Storefront and make all or any of their games exclusive to it. Steam won!!!! It's THE PC storefront. End-OF-Story!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
And their "Pro-democracy" theme in the game and in the marketing was perfect\lucky timing when you see what's going on with Trump, Russia, Ukraine, and Israel. It hit at the "right" time.
And the beauty of it. They mock democracy and show how full on democracy always falls into tyrannical communistic rule. I'm shocked Sony greenlit that story in current year. Then again, we are also getting Stellar Ass Blade as well.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

They said that before the game blew up

Now NPD and GameDiscoverGo are saying nearly the same thing

There's just NO way they can know the number of people playing HD2 on Playstation at the same time. They don't have the data.

Is Gene joking here?

I'm not into any of the cape**** but I'm still incapable of believing / saying that PlayStation should stop making Spiderman games.

It's weird how some can't view topics with any degree of objectivity. Single player gamers are an odd bunch.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you...............but are you saying that Sony should make both GaaS Games and Big $200 million single player games?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Tell that to Fortnite.

Sony can do a lot of things that Epic can't. They have way more leverage than Epic and way more exclusive titles than Epic. No one is more primed to have success with a storefront than Sony.

The Epic Store has completely bombed despite already having the hottest game in the industry.

Also see Rockstar whose store went over like a lead balloon despite having GTA - which dwarfs Sony’s ips.

Sony knows what they’re doing. Don’t even waste time with a PC store.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

And the beauty of it. They mock democracy and show how full on democracy always falls into tyrannical communistic rule. I'm shocked Sony greenlit that story in current year. Then again, we are also getting Stellar Ass Blade as well.

So how "woke" is Sony after all? Is it possible they just support their devs whichever way they go (within reason)?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you...............but are you saying that Sony should make both GaaS Games and Big $200 million single player games?

Absolutely.

If Spiderman 2 crosses into profitability at 7.2 million units and they think they will sell 20 million, that's a great investment.

The question becomes if smaller franchises can keep doing that. If Horizon III or Ghost of Tsushima 2 cross into profitability at 9 million units and they only expect to sell ~13 million copies then they're obviously running into a problem that needs solving.

Sonys current strategy is basically perfect IMO...even though I couldn't care less about most of their (40% resources) traditional games.

I view the topic from an objective strategic perspective. Many don't.

EXACTLY!!!! The worst thing Sony could do is create a PC Storefront and make all or any of their games exclusive to it. Steam won!!!! It's THE PC storefront. End-OF-Story!

Not everyone is a fan of monopolies. I'm all for more storefronts on PC and giving people more options

Raonak

Banned
The game is blowing up in general, not just on steam. It's hitting that viral sweet spot.

It's what happens when you actually release a high quality finished product in a sea of unfinished jank.

It's also interesting how little the DRM backlash actually mattered in the end. Truly no-one actually gives a fuck about that.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
True, but they can't make it exclusive to their Sony PC storefront though. That's just bad business.
If they ever do day and date for non-gaas games, I could totally see them doing timed exclusive approach. PS5 + PC PS Store gets it first. Then steam later down the line.

Concurrent users do not matter much for games like that. It's dollar amounts and lifetime sales. Frankly, that 30% cut is simply good to pass up.

I want to see Sony do a PC PS store as It would also allow them to easily integrate cross platform purchases and trophies and integrate with PS stars.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
It seems "this" is actually an unfounded claim.

Yea, NPD and GameDiscoverGo are lying about this because….. because they just are! You would never question these numbers if it was for anything but a Sony game on PC.

Multiplayer games are very popular on Steam. It’s not an L for Sony that this turned out more popular on PC, in fact it was a good read of the market to put this on Steam day 1 and it’s paying off.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Yea, NPD and GameDiscoverGo are lying about this because….. because they just are! You would never question these numbers if it was for anything but a Sony game on PC.

Multiplayer games are very popular on Steam. It’s not an L for Sony that this turned out more popular on PC, in fact it was a good read of the market to put this on Steam day 1 and it’s paying off.
There's literally no evidence of what you're saying. If anything, we have evidence (directly from the data Arrowhead shared) that PS5's CCU was roughly 20% higher than Steam's.

NPD never shared sales data. In fact, Matt specifically mentioned this when people started misunderstanding his tweet, and he deleted that tweet to avoid further confusion.

Why are you going by a deleted tweet that never talked about sales data?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

The biggest platform for Fortnite was PS4 according to Epic. Considerably larger than PC.

I wouldn't be surprised if Helldivers 2 did substantially better on PC but I wouldn't be surprised if it did better on PS5. I don't think we have access to good information at the moment. Too much console warring emotions and rushes to judgment.

I've written it off until they show me something to be excited for 🤷🏻

Doesn't mean I can't change my mind
Can you "write something off" until you see gameplay? I'm not so sure.

It's like saying "That ship has sailed" unless I like what I see.

Top Bottom