• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers 2 Reaches #1 on Steam Most Played, Broke 430K+ CCU

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
There's literally no evidence of what you're saying. If anything, we have evidence (directly from the data Arrowhead shared) that PS5's CCU was roughly 20% higher than Steam's.

NPD never shared sales data. In fact, Matt specifically mentioned this when people started misunderstanding his tweet, and he deleted that tweet to avoid further confusion.

Why are you going by a deleted tweet that never talked about sales data?

Mat deleted the tweet because autistic console warriors swarmed him and he didn’t wanna deal with it. 2 reputable analysts are saying it sold significantly better on PC. NPD is US only but the other is worldwide. Of course these are estimates but they’re not pulling them out of thin air. Mat says their Nielsen cable ratings survey thing they do is accurate within a few percentage points and is validated by publishers.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Mat deleted the tweet because autistic console warriors swarmed him and he didn’t wanna deal with it. 2 reputable analysts are saying it sold significantly better on PC. NPD is US only but the other is worldwide. Of course these are estimates but they’re not pulling them out of thin air. Mat says their Nielsen cable ratings survey thing they do is accurate within a few percentage points and is validated by publishers.

Again, not sales data.

Raonak

Banned

Tales from my ass pt.6

PS store sale numbers are literally not available to anyone but Sony.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

anywhere between 65% and 75%
That's a 10% difference. They know nothing.

cebri.one

Assuming they use Cloud Architecture, it should be pretty easy to spin up servers.
They are using the same architecture microsoft uses for all their GaaS games. The backend infrastructure is not the issue. The netcode probably has several chokepoints that are going to require to redefine some subsystems from the ground up. And you have to do it without breaking the game. In my opinion they should:
- Reduce even more the active player count. When the population reaches the cap of 450K the game is significantly less reliable.
- Implement a queue system
- For PC players, implement PTE-Beta servers to test out new patches.

I don't think the issues will go away soon. It probably will correct itself as the hype passes and people get annoyed at not being able to access.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Anyone else completely confused why Sony would have this banger close to the end of it's development but then go ahead and announce a bunch of other GAAS titles? Seems about th dumbest thing you could do for your own platform.

Maybe I'm wrong and HD2 isn't GAAS, but it sure seems like it? I'm getting it this weekend, hope the server issues are sorted out. Game looks awesome and I love that it's causing all kinds of Starship Troopers imagery to crop up on forums and social media. Good stuff.

Raonak

Banned
Anyone else completely confused why Sony would have this banger close to the end of it's development but then go ahead and announce a bunch of other GAAS titles? Seems about th dumbest thing you could do for your own platform.

What's the problem with that?

It's not like anyone is gonna say "I'm not buying helldivers 2 because I'm waiting on concord instead"

fart town usa

Gold Member
What's the problem with that?

It's not like anyone is gonna say "I'm not buying helldivers 2 because I'm waiting on concord instead"
It just seems like they can potentially cannibalize their own sector of the market and waste development resources if the games get mild engagement and end up causing negative effects to a game that is already doing good. Concord is still a ways out so maybe HD2 will fizzle out by then. Or maybe they'll all do great and I'm an idiot. Probably the latter 🤔

It just seems like they can potentially cannibalize their own sector of the market and waste development resources if the games get mild engagement and end up causing negative effects to a game that is already doing good. Concord is still a ways out so maybe HD2 will fizzle out by then. Or maybe they'll all do great and I'm an idiot. Probably the latter 🤔

Sony never expected the game to be this massive to begin with. So even if it drops by like 70% of it's users I think they will be more than happy with that.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Can someone explain to me in a non-meme way why this game is so good? I haven’t tried it yet, so I don’t really know too much about the mechanics other than there’s mandatory friendly fire, and a lot of destructible elements. But beyond that, it looks like a normal third person squad shooter. I’m definitely missing something, and I want to know what the secret sauce is before I buy it.

Concord is probably coming out by June. And HD2 is a wildly different player base than a first-person PvP game like Concord. If Marathon and HD2 came out around the same time than I would agree somewhat, but even then, PvE games player bases ebb and flow around new content being released. So I assume Sony will stagger major expansions of its GAAS games so that they don't intersect too close to one another

Can someone explain to me in a non-meme way why this game is so good? I haven’t tried it yet, so I don’t really know too much about the mechanics other than there’s mandatory friendly fire, and a lot of destructible elements. But beyond that, it looks like a normal third person squad shooter. I’m definitely missing something, and I want to know what the secret sauce is before I buy it.

Not to be a dick but it would be better if you watched a few youtube videos. Its incredibly easy to find one that explains what the game is about and why its so popular. Its what I did to understand why this game is blowing up the way it has.
There's some really good introductory videos and guides for newbies to the game.

Last edited:

Mikado

Gold Member

- Short Run-based sessions with defined end times. Almost akin to a Hunting Action game like Monster Hunter in that regard.
- Excellent presentation (visuals, vfx, audio, music). Sells the Starship Troopers/Space Marines sci-fi squad fantasy better than any other title I've ever seen
- Surprisingly complex combat mechanics: does some things that even Milsims like Arma don't handle well (like crew-assisted reloads of man-portable support weapons)
- Wide range of abilities to choose from; none necessarily more optimal than others but each one fun to use in its own way
- The Pressure-and-release sensibilities of something like Left4Dead which ensures there are moments of downtime and coordination and moments of mic-spiking, pant-soiling, panic
- Coordination between teammates feels good. Everyone is stronger together than apart, but there are no hard-counters to soloing unlike say, Left4Dead
- The MTX at least so far, barely exists as an issue. There is a cash shop but it just seems to rotate between things that are already in the battlepasses. And those passes don't expire if you don't finish them. And you can (slowly) accrue Premium currency by exploring the maps. And the "Armors" that exist in the premium passes only provide the same bonuses as the Free pass armor - but with different visuals. I'm sure it will get worse eventually but so far It Is Fine.

ClosBSAS

Tales from my ass pt.6

PS store sale numbers are literally not available to anyone but Sony.
face it. it sold better on PC thats a given. it plays better too. 430k ccu, 107k reviews x 20 (not doing 30 even though thats what it says it should be multiplied by) thats about 2.1 million copies on PC alone. if i do it by 30 its 3 million. dont think ps5 sold 2 million.

hlm666

Tales from my ass part 7
They made a post back when the ccu was 360k ish on steam saying they increased server capacity to 450k. Now a post above your denial says they need 100k more when pc is hitting 430k ccu. It's fair to say it looks like the pc player base is the larger of the 2 currently.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
They made a post back when the ccu was 360k ish on steam saying they increased server capacity to 450k. Now a post above your denial says they need 100k more when pc is hitting 430k ccu. It's fair to say it looks like the pc player base is the larger of the 2 currently.

So you don't think many people are playing it on Playstation?

Bro PC GT7 would be a bit hard because they're partnered with the F1 racing league IIRC, and PC is rampant with cheating and mods for unfair boosts. I mean it happens on console too, but since Sony have control of the console they can detect those mods and take appropriate action including firmware updates. That's not 100% possible on PC (not without the game being tied to their own launcher/storefront...which doesn't exist on PC ATM).

But yeah, they should have been gotten MLB The Show into more places. A F2P version for mobile with optional fantasy league features seems like a no-brainer.

Pretty sure M&A talks between SIE and Arrowhead are ongoing. Wouldn't worry about Microsoft in this; they have their own studios to get fixed up plus Arrowhead have no real history with Microsoft nor do Microsoft own the Helldivers IP (Sony/SIE do).

Also they already bought ABK for $75 billion to get COD (among other IP). Regulators already are looking at genre monopolies anyway, so that would massively complicate Microsoft going after a studio like Arrowhead for IP like Helldivers (which again, Sony/SIE own the rights to, but MS buying Arrowhead to try making a knockoff IP would still run into massive issues of genre monopoly through M&As).
Bro PC has iRacing the only real racing sim i.e not simcade but an actual sim racer. Not to mention PC is the king of competitive games and eSports regardless of it being an open platform and therefore hackable without needing to hack the console first like on consoles.

hlm666

So you don't think many people are playing it on Playstation?
I don't know, all i'm doing is looking at the current ccu counts and then someone from the devs saying they need 550k capacity which I assume should stop or very greatly reduce the waiting problems. You can take that logical approach and do with it what you want. If you think 550k capacity instead of 450k would be good way to support ~900k total ccu (if both platforms are equal it should be around that) you could be right, but I don't think it is.

face it. it sold better on PC thats a given. it plays better too. 430k ccu, 107k reviews x 20 (not doing 30 even though thats what it says it should be multiplied by) thats about 2.1 million copies on PC alone. if i do it by 30 its 3 million. dont think ps5 sold 2 million.
That’s low for what a Playstation Studio release usually does. Specially with my friend list all getting on it like it’s GTA or COD. I wouldn’t be surprised if Playstation is giving priority to PS5 players. Specially since they are more profitable and don’t have to handle refunds on PC.

But idk everyone is sorta aware to wait til issues get sorted out… no cluee. im waiting for sure.

Killjoy-NL

Since both will probably be completely different, they'll be safe.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I don't know, all i'm doing is looking at the current ccu counts and then someone from the devs saying they need 550k capacity which I assume should stop or very greatly reduce the waiting problems. You can take that logical approach and do with it what you want. If you think 550k capacity instead of 450k would be good way to support ~900k total ccu (if both platforms are equal it should be around that) you could be right, but I don't think it is.

So what does it mean for HD2 being that we know it's the most played game on PSN? Even more than Fortnite. Considering.....more players on Earth play Fortnite on Playstation than any other platform.

And we have that Information so, I'm shocked to see so many people think it's just doing ok on Playstation. It's odd.....almost as if people need it to be dominating only or mainly on PC.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

So what does it mean for HD2 being that we know it's the most played game on PSN? Even more than Fortnite. Considering.....more players on Earth play Fortnite on Playstation than any other platform.

And we have that Information so, I'm shocked to see so many people think it's just doing ok on Playstation. It's odd.....almost as if people need it to be dominating only or mainly on PC.
It's basically part of the port-begging on PC, as this would imply that it would be more beneficial for Sony to release games on PC rather than PS, in some cases.

Last edited:

nowhat

This is the type of gaming CEO we need (but probably don't deserve) - same energy as Larion's head Svenk?
Agreed - you can be passionate with your craft and be financially successful (most likely due to being so passionate about what you do, not because of some egregious monetization). I think this point is lost on many suits out there.

STARSBarry

Gold Member

Mikado Mikado has pretty much said most of the key parts, but one thing I want to stress is that this game is lightning in a bottle.

Have you played vampire survivors? You know how at one point you see it and go "this looks shit" but then you actually play it and realise its just an amazing experience that just works on a mechanical level that's hard to describe. This is that, you can't help but smile when playing. They also nailed the "Hero moment" every time you start a mission that music, that sound, that loading screen... you know your in for a good time and it gets the adrenaline pumping and despite me playing...

9ZN5CVp.jpg

It still hasent worn off... I am at work now... but I just want to go home and play more Helldivers... I got to level 49 last night before the servers kicked me off, I want to make it to 50.

jorgejjvr

I'm sure every company out there knows they would get more sales if they sold their games to more platforms. That was never their goal though.

Playstation also makes money from selling hardware. The parent company (Sony) will always want those hardware units to be sold even if less games are sold. The reason why Sony increased the price was so they would make more bucks from those units as well.
Slowly but surely, the day will come

Bro PC has iRacing the only real racing sim i.e not simcade but an actual sim racer. Not to mention PC is the king of competitive games and eSports regardless of it being an open platform and therefore hackable without needing to hack the console first like on consoles.

Sure I know that's a great game and all but it doesn't refute anything about GT7. iRacing doesn't have the market cache of Gran Turismo, it doesn't have the overall polish of GT7 either. And it doesn't have a platform willing to push it with major leagues the way Gran Turismo does.

Not knocking stuff like iRacing in terms of sim aspects or quality, just stating what the larger market for the games are like. And PC's lead in competitive gaming & eSports is mainly due to hardware scalability & shooter/strategy games being very popular also taking advantage of that hardware scalability (240/360 FPS support for example just through powerful CPUs & GPUs brute-forcing it).

That’s low for what a Playstation Studio release usually does. Specially with my friend list all getting on it like it’s GTA or COD. I wouldn’t be surprised if Playstation is giving priority to PS5 players. Specially since they are more profitable and don’t have to handle refunds on PC.

But idk everyone is sorta aware to wait til issues get sorted out… no cluee. im waiting for sure.

Last we heard the CEO said sales were roughly 50:50 between both platforms.

Yep. Unless people think less than 100K are playing Fortnite and GTA5 Online on PlayStation consoles..which would be an insane thought to have.

Platform wars and you know this already.

FrankWza

But why platform wars like this? It's obvious that it's doing massive numbers on PS5 also.
Because everyone was waiting for gaas to explode in their faces and this monster hit came quick. Pretty soon you'll see percentages. Like" 1 out of _ gaas games was a hit. Big deal"

pc warriors who are in denial in being console warriors themselves are really amazing! "PC has to have more players than PS5 because... it just has to okay???"

It's weird to see people try to prove the games a failure on one platform. Truth is its doing extremely well on both and that's what matters. It's definitely not a negative if there's more players on one compared to the other.

Last edited:
Top Bottom