• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hiroshi Yamauchi dies at 85 (Nikkei)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMan

I almost never feel truly sad over celebrity deaths, but this guy made a lot of childhood memories possible. You did good, Yamauchi.

Cygnus X-1

are people worrying about Nintendo because of this? Yamauchi had been in retirement for many years. It's very unlikely his daughter is going to sell all her shares or something.

Anyway, bit of a legend. A proper businessman!

Minoru Arakawa could now start playing a role again.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
This is video game equivalent of an American Founding Father dying. It's surreal to think that we are reaching that point in time where the original pioneers of video games are starting to pass away due to natural causes/old age. Yamauchi was fairly old already when he started in the video game industry, but it's sad to see the original businessmen/women and designers of an entire medium beginning to leave this world.

We truly are coming to the end of era; but like a Founding Father, what Yamauchi built is so structurally sound that it will survive beyond any of us. There are few higher honors than that. RIP Yamauchi-san.

truly a surreal experience, something we 1st felt when miyamoto talked heavily about retirement a year or two ago.

krYlon

I hope anyone that hasn't read David Sheff's "Game Over" does so now to see what an incredible man Yamauchi was.

ALM5252

Damn. He seemed like the kind of guy who would live forever! Sad when the reality kicks in that everyone is going to die eventually. :(

RIP Yamauchi! Leave Luck to Heaven!

NotLiquid

I.. Had to do a double take when i read the title. I didnt want to believe it. I still cant.

This is insane. I have no idea what to say. He was a legend and I dont think words can describe how much I respect him for his influence.

Rest in Peace, Yamauchi. May your legacy live on and may you finally find your luck in heaven.

Soren01

image.php

RIP.

"Nintendo" literally means something along the lines of "leave luck to Heaven." I'm sure there's a beautiful sentiment that can be written from this regarding Yamauchi, but I am personally at a loss for words.

SaucyJack

RIP to a legend.

A man largely responsible for my misspent youth, starting with many an hour wasted on the original arcade Donkey Kong. He had a huge impact on the industry and will be missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom