• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hollow Knight vs Axiom Verge

PixelatedBookake

Hollow Knight is my new favourite Metroidvania. I didn't think anything would ever beat Super Metroid for me at this point, but here we are.

They're both great games though. Something about Hollow Knights music, combat and overal atmosphere just does more for me.

Hollow Knight
Super Metroid

Cave Story

Axiom Verge

Bruh I just bought this game from the Steam Sale holy shit. I'm in for a fucking treat arent I?

A-V-B

Going from the praise I saw on this thread (surpasses SotN) I expected it to get 94-96 percent in the user rating, but it got 92, so I figured I'd check out why that was. Reading the "most helpful" negative reviews on Steam to balance out the positive, seems some people think the game is gorgeously presented but somewhat poorly designed in terms of gameplay.

Kind of a bummer.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Hollow Knight is one of the best games ever.

Axiom Verge is a good metroidvania but thats about it.

Thats my opinion.

ryechu

Hollow Knight is the best metroidvania. It elevates the pillars of combat and platforming to the same level of fun and polish as exploration, unlike most metroidvanias. It also has multifaceted moveset that interact with each of these pillars seamlessly. The Sword bounce is a platforming tool with that associated feelings of commitment and timing, but it's also integral to the combat. Practicing it combat makes you better at traversal and vice versa. The dash is the same, it's uses in combat are just as integral to it's use in traversal, as well as for platforming challenges. Once it's unlocked, the moveset of subsequent bosses are allowed to become quicker, more chaotic, and more interesting spacially. The same is true with all the movement options. The same movement options that you unlock for traversal, are showcased in platforming sections, are also integral to the combat. While this isn't new to the genre, the combat use of platforming abilities usually feel like an oversight or some canned interaction. And some tools are clearly designed for traversal ( for example the grapple beam) or combat (super bomb) and only function as "keys" outside of that mode of play (ie. they enable you to 'get' to a new place or open a door; reveal a weakspot or OHKO certain enemies). They rarely deepen both sides of gameplay in equal amounts.

Ritzboof

both are amazing games. i havent played hollow knight, but im sure its a top seller for a good reason, and im gunna play it soon

i absolutely loved axiom verge, and would easily play it again. a lot of peeps are saying its straight up metroid, and it is to a degree in comparison to hollow night, but axiom verge sets itself apart from metroid with its quality. while being inspired very heavily by metroid, it doesnt feel like its just made to be metroid, and it has a lot of touches of contra and bionic comando within its gameplay

the world and story are fantastic and bizarre (the story definitely sets it apart), the gimmicks and game world work together very cleverly, secrets and shit are out of this world, and its just amazing to play and incredibly engaging overall

Shredderi

I've played both through once, doing as much as I could. I really liked Axiom Verge. It is a very solid entry in it's genre. On the other hand I absolutely loved Hollow Knight. It felt like this big experience for me. I really wanted more and more information about it's world and lore and everything just felt so cohesive. I actually think it's one of the very best metroidvanias ever made. It's also fucking gorgeous. It really does that hand animated 2D look right for this kind of game. And the characters are so charming and adorable with their own insect language. *character spoiler don't click if you haven't played*
Myla ;___;

jb1234

I played through Axiom Verge but found it kinda forgettable, in the end. I came across a video of the final boss like a year later and barely remembered the fight. On the other hand, I spent 41 hours on Hollow Knight (it's that big if you go for 100%) and it's my GOTY.

I made a few attempts at getting into Axiom Verge, but it just did not click with me. Started it right after finishing Ori so there might have been some genre fatigue there.

Literally just started Hollow Knight and it seems decent, but controls/combat already feel a step down coming from Dead Cells and I'm not a huge fan of the art style. I've barely played it for an hour though so the verdict is still out.

jb1234

Literally just started Hollow Knight and it seems decent, but controls/combat already feel a step down coming from Dead Cells and I'm not a huge fan of the art style. I've barely played it for an hour though so the verdict is still out.

It takes a few hours to get going. I was iffy on it until after the third area or so and then fell in love. The game is very much a slow burn of getting new abilities because of its length.

JP

I can't really criticise Hollow Knight in any way but Axiom Verge really is one of my most enjoyed games for years. I absolutely loved the whole and still can't believe that it was the work of a single person.

JP

Shit, some people are saying it's better that Super Metroid? Now I definitely need to pick this up.
I actually enjoyed it more and I honestly can't believe that I'm saying that any more than you can believe that I'm saying that. :)

I didn't really follow it before launch but I was aware of it and although I liked the look of it I really wasn't expecting it to be anywhere near the game that it was, it was my game of the year. I think it's out across all formats now so I do like to recommend it to people.

KHlover

Banned
Axiom Verge is the only Metroidvania besides Metroid that felt like Metroid while I played it. Love it for that and hope we get more games like it.

Devil

I played the first hour of Axiom Verge but didn't really feel it. The music sounded fantastic at first but that loop quickly annoyed too much. Should I give it another try? I usually love Metroidvanias..

NIN90

Hollow Knight just feels TIGHT as fuck which is the number one priority for any platformer game. You'll be doing a lot of footsies in the game with the limited range of your weapon and it always feels amazing.

ExServ

Neo Member
Shit, some people are saying it's better that Super Metroid? Now I definitely need to pick this up.

Well Hollow Knight to me has become the new standard for the genre, so yeah it's better than Super Metroid in that it takes its place on the top of metroidvania. Trully Hollow Knight is a masterpiece, can't wait to know what Team Cherry has in store for us.

Well they already said they have two more contents coming after Hidden Dreams.

Glad to see so many people calling GotY even though there's zelda, nier and so many other titles.

Marow

I'll be honest: I haven't played Hollow Knight. I have, however, played Axiom Verge and found that dull.

You want good metroidvania?

How about something that basically no one has heard of, yet is probably the best I've played apart from the Metroid franchise itself?

3TAizH3.gif

Environmental Station Alpha is here to serve. You're a robot sent to explore an old research station that's been abandonded. It has great, atmosphere music. Lovely simplistic pixel art. It has a great map with secrets. It has a nice sense of movement and challenge - not too hard, not too easy (unless you aren't used to challenge, though, it might be seen as hard). It has a wonderful sense of loneliness and discovery. Oh, and what's more: it took me ~8 hours to complete, and that includes exploring a lot. Basically, it never overstays its outcome.

Everyone should play this. Yet nobody has even heard of it. Unfortunately it's not on sale now, but for 7,99€ it's cheaper than both Hollow Knight and Axiom Verge.

Just play it and have a great time.

I should probably create a thread about it one day.

dcx4610

I bought both with the sale. I think if you like Metroid/Sci-fi, you'll want Axiom. If you like Castlevania or Ori, you'll want Hollow Knight.

Why not both though? $20 for two great games.

Weird, I didn't know there were this many people who didn't enjoy Axiom Verge. I absolute loved it and would highly recommend it any day, personally. Yes it probably does have more weapons than it needs and bosses can be overly simple due to how they're focused around repeating attack patterns, and I remember the final boss being rather easy, but overall it was great and I want to play it again sometime soon.

Haven't played Hollow Knight yet, kinda been waiting for a Switch version but may just pick it up on this sale.

I got slightly lost in Axiom Verge, went back a month later and by that point I was 100% lost. BUT I did really enjoy it, I'll have to restart it some time.

I just got Hollow Knight yesterday in the sale so all I can say about that is it looks beautiful

Thabian

Hollow Knight feels like a metroidvania crossed with Dark Souls. Ways I've seen so far that it's reminded me of Dark Souls,

Huge, lonely world with a lot of mystery and sadness to it
Lone NPC characters that don't say much and often speak in cryptic ways.
Your respawn point are benches that you find in the world (bonfire)
You lose your money when you die and have to get it back, if you die twice the money is gone.
There are shortcuts that you have to activate in the world to make traveling easier. There's even an elevator you unlock to take you back to town.
Difficult optional boss fights to find in the world.

PaulloDEC

You can't go wrong with either IMO, though they do somewhat different things. If you like more old-school and more shooty, you want Axiom Verge. If you like more modern and more slashy, grab Hollow Knight.

Chopper

I thought Axiom Verge was amazing. One of the most faithful, fulfilling Metroidvanias I could have hoped for. It ticked every box.

I hadn't heard of Hollow Knight before this thread, but it prompted me to check it out, and I cannot WAIT for it to come out on PS4. Looks amazing.

But yeah. Play Axiom Verge.

Tremis

This man does his research.
Axiom verge nails Metroid but has bad boss fights including the final one. If you are looking for cool boss fights, you might be dissappointed.

Haven't played Hollow Knight, but I was gifted Axiom Verge and got a good solid 10 hours of fun on it. I'd recommend playing it even if you decide to buy Hollow Knight first.

Pixel art is basically made for giant grimy-ass alien heads and techno-demons. We understood this in the age of Contra, Ninja Gaiden, and shmups, but now only Axiom Verge carries the banner.

Kadin

Just bought both and I've played an hour of each and so far I'm liking Axiom more. I don't know what it is exactly about the combat with HK but the knock back is annoying and when hitting enemies sometimes the animation is a bit weird which tends to get me hit in the flurry. Hard to explain but I'm pretty sure it gets better further in...

jb1234

Just bought both and I've played an hour of each and so far I'm liking Axiom more. I don't know what it is exactly about the combat with HK but the knock back is annoying and when hitting enemies sometimes the animation is a bit weird which tends to get me hit in the flurry. Hard to explain but I'm pretty sure it gets better further in...

There's a charm you'll get reasonably early which negates the knock back.

Kadin

There's a charm you'll get reasonably early which negates the knock back.
Ah okay good to know. I'm usually pretty happy with what GAF recommends with games like these so I assumed it would get better in this regard. Thanks.

nkarafo

I haven't played Hollow Knight myself but i can't say i'm a fan of it's graphics and art style. It has that Flash player/mobile game look that i dislike a lot.

Axiom Verge looks more like NES pixel art, again not a huge fan but i prefer it.

It's not a good metric to compare the games, i know, but all i can say is that as a Metroid fan, Axiom Verge scratched that itch for me successfully.

Kalnos

Banned
Hollow Knight. I enjoyed Axiom Verge but the music can't hold a candle to HK and some of the secrets in AV are so ridiculous that I don't think you can possibly find them without a guide.

Both games are typical Metorid fare though where they start slow and get pretty good once you have some mobility power-ups.

Hollow Knight went completely under my radar. Now is top priority on Switch. Is it confirmed yet?

I haven't played Hollow Knight myself but i can't say i'm a fan of it's graphics and art style. It has that Flash player/mobile game look that i dislike a lot.

Axiom Verge looks more like NES pixel art, again not a huge fan but i prefer it.

It's not a good metric to compare the games, i know, but all i can say is that as a Metroid fan, Axiom Verge scratched that itch for me successfully.

I dunno, it's pretty gorgeous in motion, especially coupled with its haunting score. The enemy/character design is also tremendous and full of personslity.

Onivulk

Banned
Id recommend Hollow Knight to anyone. I haven't played Axiom Verge so I cant compare them but I can say that I absolutely loved every moment of Hollow Knight. I beat it on 16 hrs over a single weekend. That's the only game I've done that with in many years. I only had like 48% completion at the end too.

Top Bottom