• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hollow Knight vs Axiom Verge

I liked axiom verge. I never beat it though :p
It was a great game, especially when you consider that one guy made it! I never played Hollow Knight but am super interested to get it on switch...It may be awhile.

Adryuu

Yeah the answer is always Hollow Knight. But I forgot to say two things:

Yes, it has less good things (not bad, at least to me for now).

And yes, by all means, please play Axiom Verge, too. Maybe even before Hollow (because it's shorter, and worse). Please do. And Ori, before that. And please buy Hyper Light Drifter (not a metroidvania I know) while you're at it (it's just 9 or 10 euro now).

But if by any means you only had to play one of all those games, I'd recommend Hollow Knight, at least while not knowing you personally. Oh and it's also the longest one, without feeling too long.

Adryuu

I hard passed on Hollow Knight due to the cutesy design.

Like me when first hearing about it. So wrong, the game has really creepy places and enemies and the atmosphere is quite dark and depressing and the thing it resembles most is Dark Souls. Only with (mostly) cute bugs (sometimes undead bugs too) instead of people or zombie people.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Like me when first hearing about it. So wrong, the game has really creepy places and enemies and the atmosphere is quite dark and depressing and the thing it resembles most is Dark Souls. Only with (mostly) cute bugs (sometimes undead bugs too) instead of people or zombie people.

That's like putting powdered sugar on Swiss Cheese.

Davidion

NOOOOOOOOO.

Yes. :| The instant I entered it, I wanted to get the fuck out really, really quickly, haha.

Same. ALSO FUCKING CREEPY was the
Royal Waterways where the stupid thing on legs starts snorting and chasing after you, and the rest of his dead ass starts going after you in parts.

ugh

trixx

Both games are on my radar. I enjoyed Ori and the Blind Forest a lot but Super Metroid and Fusion captivated me more. I think i'm more interested in the Metroids than the Metroidvanias but I'll look into playing both and that Alpha game someone mentioned earlier.

Prime captivated me a lot as well. Look into getting Axiom verge first and then Hollow Knight

This thread made me buy Hollow Knight mostly due to whoever posted the soundtrack... and then steam recommended Dead Cells so I bought that too...

Will Hollow Knight ever come to PS4/Vita? I'm really hyped to play it after all this praise, but my PC sucks. Guess I'll stick to Axiom Verge for now.

Snagret

I'm surprised how many here have only played one or the other.

They're both excellent and very worth playing, I don't know if I could pick just one.

AEREC

Is there any word on Hollow Knight coming to Switch?

It was officially announced and they also recently brought in another studio to help with the port to get it out sooner.

Im so tempted to buy it off steam right now, but I really want to play it on the switch first.

Mutant

I thought Axiom Verge was... Okay. It's good. It doesn't rank anywhere near the good Metroid games though.

I have not played Hollow Knight.

CJY

Banned
Played both, loved both.

Axiom is better and a more enjoyable gaming experience IMO while Shovel is more endearing and (possibly) memorable. They are two of the most spectacular 8-bit style indies I've played in the last 2 years so it's almost impossible to choose which one is better or which one you should play first... you won't go wrong with either.

I will say though that I got into Axiom immediately and couldn't put it down until I finished it as soon as I got started while Shovel Knight actually took me about 3 months and multiple attempts at making it "click" for me to get into it, but by the end, I was hooked even harder than I was with Axiom.

It's a really tough choice choosing between these two, Play both for sure, maybe Axiom first :)

Played both, loved both.

Axiom is better and a more enjoyable gaming experience IMO while Shovel is more endearing and (possibly) memorable. They are two of the most spectacular 8-bit style indies I've played in the last 2 years so it's almost impossible to choose which one is better or which one you should play first... you won't go wrong with either.

I will say though that I got into Axiom immediately and couldn't put it down until I finished it as soon as I got started while Shovel Knight actually took me about 3 months and multiple attempts at making it "click" for me to get into it, but by the end, I was hooked even harder than I was with Axiom.

It's a really tough choice choosing between these two, Play both for sure, maybe Axiom first :)
Shovel Knight, Hollow Knight and Axiom Verge are three different games.
It does get confusing with all the shovel knight dlc.

Nabs

I liked both games. They're both worth playing. Hollow Knight is one of the best in the genre, for sure.

Played both, loved both.

Clefargle

Axiom Verge is closer to old metroid games, thus not really " metroidvania", Hollow Knight is my game of the year hands down. Fantastic soundtrack, gameplay, level design, story telling... one of the best (if not the best) metroidvania ever made.

ps : first post on gaf, hi there.

Welcome sir/maam

Most confusing thread ever for me

Thought Hollow knight was one of the shovel knight games....

As Im looking to pick up both axiom verge and shovel knight this summer on the vita

Hollow knight looks awesome, hope it makes it was to vita/switch

Kadin

So I posted earlier that I bought both, played an hour of each and was more a fan of Axiom.

That's completely changed now. Just had a nice decent run (3 hours) with Hollow Knight and holy shit, this game is good. Once I adjusted to the knock back and the other minor issues I had, this game has turned into something spectacular. Was planning to go back to Axiom and finish that first but no way that's happening now.

I bought Hollow Knight on sale after reading this thread. Just put about 2 into it and im itching to play it some more already, great so far.

Majmun

Only played Axiom Verge. I thought it was ok. But I stopped playing it.

Definitely want to get Hollow Knight. Ps4 or Switch version...depends which one gets released earlier.

Mikke

For me Hollow Knight, no question.
I played them both, Axiom Verge was alright but never really grabbed me (did not finish it). Hollow Knight is one of my GOTY, it's so good.
Also I did not find the atmosphere of HK to be cutesy, I thought it was kind of uncomfortable and creepy at points (at other points, just gorgeous). Highly recommended.

balohna

I really like Axiom Verge, but haven't actually finished it because I found tracking down secrets toward the end to be a slog. There are certain things I just wanna get but can't quite figure out. I tried to use a FAQ to see how to get a particular password for an item and it just straight up said what to enter, not how to find that info in-game. I wanna earn it, even if I'm being told where to look. I also had to use a FAQ to progress the story at one point, turned out I had to speak to a specific character. I guess maybe it was called out somewhere? But it was also some shit like I had to stand in the right location to trigger the conversation I think.

Basically I spent so much time wandering that it stopped being quite as fun, but it was great up to a point. I'll hop back in and finish the story one day I guess. Still really curious about a couple secrets.

I have been playing Hollow Knight and it is awesome but I keep dying trying from environmental hazards trying to reach tough places and it takes 15 minutes to run back :( I probably just suck though,

Capndrake

Axiom Verge was a letdown, Hollow Knight is one of the best Metroidvania games there is.

La-Mulana is still the best though

+1 for Hollow Knight

Level design, soundtrack, characters, lore, soundtrack, sense of freedom, artwork, emphasis on exploration... did I mention the soundtrack?

Axiom Verge is a great game, no doubt, but Hollow Knight is an incredible experience and possibly a Metroidvania that surpasses SOTN and Super Metroid themselves. It's that good.

SETUnxu.gif

I want to seriously gush about it - even with the accolades it's gotten, it's seriously going to blow up once it's released on Switch.

Ok I've got to your post and I'm done. Buying it now. :)

Majmun

Owlboy also coming to the Switch? That's awesome. Guess I'm getting Hollow Night and Owlboy for the Switch then.

Perfect games for a handheld imo.

Is Hollow Knight the kind of game you need a proper dpad with? If so I'll pick it up now but I was kinda waiting for the Switch port.

Is Hollow Knight the kind of game you need a proper dpad with? If so I'll pick it up now but I was kinda waiting for the Switch port.
I preferred D-pad to analog, but both worked fine for me. There /are/ some areas where precise platforming is require so... Take that as you will.

Stoze

Yes, imo. You can slash downwards (can pogo off stuff) and upwards so you'll be doing left-right into up-down inputs quite a bit.
edit: In general you have absurd control over your character, there's no lag between switching directions even in mid-air:

Nose Master

I thought axiom verge was pretty middle of the road, tbh. Combat felt pretty sloppy. Glitch mechanic was neat, but that's kind of it. Tons of better metroidvanias out there.

Haven't played hollow knight yet.

Hollow Knight seems really great so far, and I enjoy it moment-to-moment a bit more than Axiom Verge, and definitely higher quality overall, but AV has some really well-hidden secrets, some with esoteric solutions. I've never played a game that rewarded exploration as often and as tangibly as this one. Can't even count the times I thought "I wonder if there's something over there," had to actually come up with something clever in order to get there, and found something worthwhile.

Top Bottom