• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Holy...80 gigs??"

PMS341

I've never understood the complaint about game sizes.

I know download speeds are slow some places
I know harddrive space is limited.

To me its the same as games being held back in quality for older consoles. Its just a problem we're gonna have to deal with.

Games are gonna get even bigger. Thats how it works.

While I agree with you on a personal level, I completely understand how the download would feel like a non-seeded torrent to some. Especially in the US.

On the other side of the spectrum... do any of you ever feel the opposite way when playing a game that's 1 gig or a few gigs or even less than a gig? Let's use a AAA game for this example... a game you paid $50 for. Would you feel like you're not getting your money's worth if it was just a gig or two?

My answer to that question yes i most likely have felt that way subliminally. That's the key word; subliminally. I don't think I've ever pointed it out directly, if that makes any sense (probably not).
Super Mario 3D World is tiny but can last a very long time and has supreme replayability. It's also one of the best games of the generation. I just don't understand your thinking at all.

Mentok

Banned
Reading the OP, I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not....

tumblr_manxt3CV0U1r76lino1_500.gif

Grimalkin

Doesn't even 'Murica still have a lot of places with data caps and low speeds, though?

Yes. I have 100Mbs download speed and a 250GB monthly cap. It fucking sucks. Every single month my spouse and I fight about data usage. We have to ration it out to 8GB per day (4GB per person) and that is nothing. That's 1 hour of watching video per person, for fuck's sake. Any household that has 2 tech-loving people is going to naturally go well over that.

And you can kiss downloading AAA games goodbye. I wish that the PS4 let you save games to a harddrive and then move them between PS4s. We have 2 in our household and having to download 2 copies of a 40GB game... welp, there goes 32% of our cap in a single day. Means we have to go 10 days without using any internet to balance that out.

The worst part is the cable company won't let us pay more for just a cap increase. If I wanted to switch from a 250GB cap to a 500GB cap the monthly bill would go from $55/month to $105/month because they give me extra download speed when 100Mbps is already more than enough.

LordRaptor

Nothing makes me feel like a developer really cares than multiple gigs of prerendered videos at a lower resolution than an in-engine cutscene would have been and uncompressed voice over assets in French / Spanish / German because Yurop

No, let's use another example... remember FF7 and the 7 discs it came with? Tell me you didn't have the same feeling there. It's just something i was thinking about. Sorry if it's a crap thread.

I had that feeling, yeah. But I was 11 years old at the time.

Now that I know that audio/video take up at least 70% of data, when I see something like a 80gb file size, all that comes to mind is "wow, that's a lot of prerendered video".

Dynheart

Banned
It's not the HDD size, or the DL speeds that's the issue. If I buy a game, I want to play it. It's that simple. In the era of huge sized DL's for games, I'd prefer to buy physical and maximize space for the crazy sized patched on day one (that add up over time) on my HDD. If I have to delete anything, I'd rather the install than the actual download; just in case I ever want to play the game again.

I understand it's the nature of the beast with gaming and all, but not all areas of the world has caught up with technology, or at least on equal footing. I fear 4k will be a thing, and DL sizes will triple! Meanwhile you have people who are offered, still, outdated internet packages because their provider can't get with the times.

It will be an interest next couple of years.

Dynasty8

Used to get the same feeling when I bought a PlayStation game back then that had 3-4 discs. FF series specifically.

oti

Banned
When I saw the Gears 4 50 to 80 gigs requirement i started drooling. I love it!!! Something about installing a game that requires 50+ gigs of space makes me feel like I'm really getting my money's worth.

Is this a subliminal psychological sort of thing? The more gigs the better. HDDs are so big now anyway so what's 80 gigs really? It sucks for those in AU and other bandwidth capped countries but here in 'Murica...MOAR GIGS! Who agrees? :D

image.php

When I saw the Gears 4 50 to 80 gigs requirement i started drooling. I love it!!! Something about installing a game that requires 50+ gigs of space makes me feel like I'm really getting my money's worth.

Is this a subliminal psychological sort of thing? The more gigs the better. HDDs are so big now anyway so what's 80 gigs really? It sucks for those in AU and other bandwidth capped countries but here in 'Murica...MOAR GIGS! Who agrees? :D

i always assumed it was due to poor optimization and compression

nkarafo

Of course game size has nothing to do with how big a game is. It mostly has to do with how much space it's assets, textures, videos and sound take.

velociraptor

I hope this is sarcasm. I haven't updated my HDD for years, and I don't want to. I'd rather save as much money as possible.

80GB for a game is just silly. I used to think 30GB was bad enough...

choofed.gif

It will be 50% pre-rendered cutscenes...

vg260

Isn't a huge chunk of the data for games due to high-quality game audio, and/or multiple languages?

I wish there was a way to not have to download unnecessary/redundant audio files.

kabel

sshot4ebaa0586fecd.jpg

Do people have these HDDs or why are they wondering that games get bigger?

Either you bitch about blurry textures or about the file size. What?

Demoskinos

I don't know how "more space taken up" equals a better game. Its like when people got excited that FFVII was on three discs. That shit is just a pain in the ass.

Did you hear that developers? Include a ton of dummy data in your games so that
image.php
can get his money worth.
lol...I love it! I never uninstall my PC games. I wanna hit double digit terabytes by 2020. Everything is backwards compatible too.

PS, it's only gonna get worse with Neo and Scorpio if they use 4k assets for games so get used to it!

zUxTAXs.jpg

Nope. Big DL sizes were the bane of my existence before I switched internet providers. My old plan was 100meg DL, with a 250Gig cap, and I actually had to avoid downloading too many games in one month. Now I'm on an unlimited Gigabit connection, so I don't really care, but it sucked when a massive game would take hours to download rather than the five to ten minutes it would now.

Recreat3

Doesnt mean quality to me when overwatch on x1 is only a bit over 10gb and i have played that for well over 100 hours and im not slowing down.

Nothing makes me feel like a developer really cares than multiple gigs of prerendered videos at a lower resolution than an in-engine cutscene would have been and uncompressed voice over assets in French / Spanish / German because Yurop

So much this. When I see the frankly shocking file sizes of modern day console games it makes me feel sick. It reeks of poor asset compression and optimisation, and considering the pitiful amount of storage space that consoles provide (even with the TB+ models with vastly over inflated prices), it's just a disgusting prospect all round .

My Xbox one can hold at most 10 games before I need to start uninstalling stuff to play something new. This process can take anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour.

My Wii U, however, has no such problems and allows me to swap between games in seconds. Which of these was supposed to be more advanced again?

Now, don't get me wrong. I understand that we need to install things nowadays due to read speeds from the blu Ray drives not being fast enough (correct me if I'm wrong). But actual instal footprints of these games should be an incredibly high priority. It's simply not acceptable that I should have to "budget" my storage space for the games I want to play.

While I agree with you on a personal level, I completely understand how the download would feel like a non-seeded torrent to some. Especially in the US.

i get that i do.

but again, like take destiny for example. the new expansion is ditching old consoles. the API for LFG stuff no longer works for old consoles.

Kinda....too bad right? Like thats how the industry works.

shandy706

Meh, 80 gigs isn't a lot.

I've got 2.5TB on my Xbox one (174 games installed too) and 3.5TB in my PC (200+ games installed).

Might need to grab a 4+TB for my X1 here soon. Not a big deal. It will take me a while to download it, but no data caps.

People should be reaming their ISP if they have caps. Go after them on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook, etc. Caps are all on them.

fernoca

Most of the time though it's down to devs just not wanting to compress things, audio this generation has mainly gone for the super easy ADPCM route instead of investing into other more efficient and better quality codecs like VORBIS, which is a pet peeve of mine seeing as audio is taking up more space but sounding nowhere near as good as it can be.
Yeah, nothing to drool anout.
In many cases is a bunch of redudant data or the same data copied a few times.

Very few teams actually clean the entirety of it after developement to reduce/free up size.

Doesn't even 'Murica still have a lot of places with data caps and low speeds, though?

Yes. Our internet is not as great as people in some urban centers want to believe. In fact, there are many countries worldwide with better internet infrastructures than us. The regional monopolies that are continuing to be allowed to exist are a major factor in why our internet has been so slow to increase max speeds and get rid of bandwidth cap.

If comcast has their way "internet as a utility" will become a reality, and EVERYONE here will be paying out the nose.

But since so many Americans are delusional and think USA automatically equals the best, we languish in mediocrity.

killatopak

Heh.

And a lot of people wanted to have an all digital future.

They never did think for people with data caps or slow as heck internet. Glad that discs are still a thing.

But if this game has a day 1 patch as big as the game I'm gonna go kill myself. The time spent downloading that patch would have been longer than me playing it.

OP: FFXIII had a whopping 30+ gb iirc. That was last gen too. The big part of it was because of CGI. This might be the case for Gears as well. Size doesn't matter in the quality of the game.

Top Bottom