• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT2| Red Head Redemption

laxu

So the ropecaster pins the robots in place? I think I don't understand how combat works in Horizon - I've been doing it all wrong.

The ropecaster acts a lot like the elemental weapons, you can see a bar on robots when you stick ropes to them. When the bar is full (enough ropes attached) the robot will fall down and you can do critical hits or overrides on them or just do more damage. Enough damage and they get free earlier. I mostly use them on fast and big robots.

Showaddy

Is there really no way to turn the on-screen hints off? Being repeatedly told how to follow a trail on my 2nd playthrough with a big intrusive box is getting annoying.

laxu

Is there really no way to turn the on-screen hints off? Being repeatedly told how to follow a trail on my 2nd playthrough with a big intrusive box is getting annoying.

Check the options menus, you should be able to turn them off there. I agree it isn't very useful since it tries to get you to follow roads.

The_Kid

Tbh I never use the ropecaster, it seems more trouble than its worth. You can scan enemies and do a ton of damage to the point of knocking them over with well placed shots before they can even get to you. Or with the T Rex just shoot his disc launcher off and go to town.

Lady Gaia

I'm really looking forward to diving back into Horizon. Events have conspired to encourage me to tackle my backlog in a different order, but it's no reflection on how invested I am in the character or story so far.

It's just that we're in the middle of preparing to pack our home and move. That means trying to simplify life and get as much as possible into boxes as soon as possible, which left me eyeing my current collection of consoles to see what I could live without for a few months. Zelda arriving for the Wii U was an obvious candidate, and I finally wrapped that up this past weekend. I'm also only a few hours from finishing a second run through Mass Effect 3, so it makes sense to push through that in the next day or two in order to box the Xbox 360.

It's all very much about how the PS4 is the center of my console experience these days. It's the one console I expect to keep up and running through the move, even in temporary accommodations. It just feels like something of a backhanded compliment when it winds up being set aside for a few weeks! Life is like that. By the end of this week I'll be mainlining Horizon again, and loving every minute of it.

Tbh I never use the ropecaster, it seems more trouble than its worth. You can scan enemies and do a ton of damage to the point of knocking them over with well placed shots before they can even get to you. Or with the T Rex just shoot his disc launcher off and go to town.
Same

Ended up just initiating with tearblast, freezing with the sling and doing damage with either precision, handpoint or default arrows

Tearblast is probably op actually, on every robot

-griffy-

Banned
Check the options menus, you should be able to turn them off there. I agree it isn't very useful since it tries to get you to follow roads.

I think he's referring to tutorial-like tips on screen, and you're referring to objective waypoints. The game seems to want to remind you that you can press R1 to highlight tracks while using your focus every time you you have to do this for a quest.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I'm at 48 hours and I still have a lot of stuff to do, I don't know how people are finishing it so fast. So I've done a lot of sidequests, I think they do a pretty good job of world building and creating context so I do them whenever they come up. I've done 2...maybe 3 cauldrons so I have at least 2 left. I have one more tall neck, and 2 bandit camps. I havent bothered with the banuk figurines, the metal flowers or any of the other collectables. Ive not done the hunting quests either. I need one more power cell for the good armor quest.
I don't fast travel very often, so maybe thats where the time goes I guess.

shiba5

But how else ya gonna override a Stormbird and make it fight for you unless you tie it down first?
You know you want to...

I'm at 48 hours and I still have a lot of stuff to do, I don't know how people are finishing it so fast. So I've done a lot of sidequests, I think they do a pretty good job of world building and creating context so I do them whenever they come up. I've done 2...maybe 3 cauldrons so I have at least 2 left. I have one more tall neck, and 2 bandit camps. I havent bothered with the banuk figurines, the metal flowers or any of the other collectables. Ive not done the hunting quests either. I need one more power cell for the good armor quest.
I don't fast travel very often, so maybe thats where the time goes I guess.

Yeah probably that, I did exactly the same things you did and finished the game in 62hs. Never used fast travel until I finished the game and started clearing collectibles.

Go find this woman, she's got great chemistry with Aloy.
17332325_1845681382360037_1405284441365938176_n.jpg

r1chard

Agreed, the ropecaster is literally the worst weapon in any game ever. OK, not that bad, but it's still pretty horrible, especially trying to hit fast-moving dodging machines like Glinthawks. The only thing that'd make it worse is if the game had a specific challenge requiring you to do that thing.

Agreed, the ropecaster is literally the worst weapon in any game ever. OK, not that bad, but it's still pretty horrible, especially trying to hit fast-moving dodging machines like Glinthawks. The only thing that'd make it worse is if the game had a specific challenge requiring you to do that thing.

You guys are completely crazy.

Ropecaster is my go to for most of the big enemies in the game. And you can use the same focus ability as the bow to slow down time, so hitting fast moving targets usually isn't an issue.

Ricker

Finished this amazing game last week,70 hours and still at 85% completion...I missed the middle map sidequest so I did that but I will stand at 21 after that one,unless it carries into SQ 22...I whish they would keep tag of the 23 items you have to break for completion as well but at least it's not a trophy ;)

r1chard

Ropecaster is my go to for most of the big enemies in the game. And you can use the same focus ability as the bow to slow down time, so hitting fast moving targets usually isn't an issue.
Nah, big enemies can just be frozen with a few arrows (usually after popping off their weapons with tear arrows) which have a longer range and faster speed than the crappy ropecaster. Easy.

eso76

I use it all the time. It's useful, but more importantly it's just so cool to pin large machines to the ground.

I believe i am halfway through and had been using the default bow all the time. Well, that and the Nora sniper bow.
The encounter with the
two corruptors when you meet Olin took forever, those
things probably ate one hundred arrows each or more. That's when I started realising I might have been playing it wrong...
My usual fear of wasting money/resources when not strictly necessary. Plus i wanted to avoid killing animals, so lacked resources to upgrade bags and whatnot.
Not anymore though.

On a side note, after investigating
Ersa's death (or not?) I saw two cannons i was probably supposed to use against the two Sawtooth. Didn't. Instead, after the fight, I took one and sloooooooowly brought it all the way down with me and proceeded to maul 4 thunderjaws in seconds with it.

Sorry for the little spoilers

Venture

Just finished
The Heart of the Nora.
Damn.

I knew Aloy was a clone! I mean, it was obvious, but still. And I love her reaction to it all, the way she takes the revelation, rejects her tribe worshipping her. Such a great character. Again, GG's outdone themselves. She's definitely the best, most memorable new character this generation for me. Well, so far, anyway.

I'm really curious as to what caused shit to go bonkers. Was that some... I don't know, space thing? So, essentially, it caused Hades to malfunction and whatnot, then the other sub-functions got separated? And now I have to find them too...?

Also, Jesus, GAIA. You're making Elisabet sounds like God. Yikes. She seems cool, though. Very unfortunate that she "died."

Oh, and the lead up to all of that was amazing.
The Embrace was utterly destroyed, and the fucking corrupted machines going about the areas. Goddamned Deathbringer! And Corruptors! Sheesh. The corrupted Thunderjaw fight was a great way to cap it off, and the thundering sound it was making as I got closer and closer was fucking fantastic.
That was all so good. Love the attention to detail too. I rode all the way back there instead of fast traveling and as you stop at the different Nora settlements they'll all be talking about what's going on. Also if you stop at Mother's Cradle first you can
rescue some Nora Braves from the Eclipse that will follow you and help in the fight.

Neonep

I use it all the time. It's useful, but more importantly it's just so cool to pin large machines to the ground.

I believe i am halfway through and had been using the default bow all the time. Well, that and the Nora sniper bow.
The encounter with the two corruptors when you meet Olin took forever, those things probably ate one hundred arrows each or more. That's when I started realising I might have been playing it wrong...
My usual fear of wasting money/resources when not strictly necessary. Plus i wanted to avoid killing animals, so lacked resources to upgrade bags and whatnot.
Not anymore though.

On a side note, after investigating Ersa's death (or not?) I saw two cannons i was probably supposed to use against the two Sawtooth. Didn't. Instead, after the fight, I took one and sloooooooowly brought it all the way down with me and proceeded to maul 4 thunderjaws in seconds with it.

Same, I had trouble with the longlegs cause I like to use arrows and melee attacks and they kept jumping backwards so I used the rope caster to tie them down and then laid waste to them.

Ricker

You guys should maybe spoiler tag the Ersa stuff,this is still the normal OT.... :p

Some of those hunting Trials are hard,another reason I probably wont get the Plat...oh well,85% is one of my highest trophy % anyway lol...

Same, I had trouble with the longlegs cause I like to use arrows and melee attacks and they kept jumping backwards so I used the rope caster to tie them down and then laid waste to them.
Or you could just shoot it's shock coil with shock arrows. Nine times out of ten you can get the drop on it and shoot the coils without it seeing you. On top of this the shock explosion stuns the surrounding enemies. After the cauldron level where you find them they're not too bad. I do like taking out the lung sack, it has a cool air explosion that sends Aloy flying back. Also it's pretty cool how they call for reinforcements. I caused an explosion watched it call in back up and then I just eventually stealth killed the back up, they had no idea what happened to them. It was like some Predator shit from the bushes.

XenIneX

Tell me about it. A Lodge Ropecaster stacked with purple handling coils is pretty much "Stunlock: The Weapon".

What? That thing has saved my ass up against Stormbirds and Thunderjaws lol. The time it gives you to catch your breath, plan, etc... is great.

Tell me about it. A Lodge Ropecaster stacked with purple handling coils is pretty much "Stunlock: The Weapon".
Pretty much lol. It could use a nerf.

rezn0r

How long is this game? (story mode and sidequests)

gonna buy a ps4 next month with it

It seems like people are platinuming it right around 60 hours. If you focused on just main quests & the storyline and tried to end it fast (which everyone here would advise against) you could probably finish it in 1/3 that time or less.

A Lodge ropecaster with appropriate high level handling mods is the most overpowered and ridiculous weapon in the game. You can tie down a Thunderjaw in seconds. And proceed to do whatever it is you were already planning to do without fear of it retaliating.

There isn't a useless weapon in the game. Very Hard in particular forces you to rely on every ability and ammo type.

This.

The encounter with the two corruptors when you meet Olin took forever, those things probably ate one hundred arrows each or more. That's when I started realising I might have been playing it wrong...
Not anymore though.

On a side note, after investigating Ersa's death (or not?) I saw two cannons i was probably supposed to use against the two Sawtooth. Didn't. Instead, after the fight, I took one and sloooooooowly brought it all the way down with me and proceeded to maul 4 thunderjaws in seconds with it.
Please spoiler tag your post, mate.

Guys need some advice for those who have played horizon and mass effect. Since I can't get my hands on a switch I'm just gonna either buy horizon or mass effect till I can get a switch.

can anyone whose played both make a recommendation? Thanks.

Mifune

Mehmber
Guys need some advice for those who have played horizon and mass effect. Since I can't get my hands on a switch I'm just gonna either buy horizon or mass effect till I can get a switch.

can anyone whose played both make a recommendation? Thanks.

Depends on your investment in Mass Effect and what it offers. Like if you need to explore a new galaxy and traverse multiple planets, then obviously I would recommend Andromeda. But HZD is a far more polished game in almost every respect.

rezn0r

Big ME fan here and I haven't touched Andromeda yet (so I know I shouldn't even be replying to you :]) but as Mifune said above, HZD is going to be the smoother gameplay experience as of right now. Plus I could see ME getting patched a whole lot between right now and when you are finishing up Horizon.

r1chard

What? That thing has saved my ass up against Stormbirds and Thunderjaws lol. The time it gives you to catch your breath, plan, etc... is great.
You may note that my gripe was pretty specifically about Glinthawks, which can dodge and move out of range and make the ropecaster the most annoying weapon to be forced to use for a particular challenge (the only challenge that I had to retry many times).

^^^thanks for the input guys, and your right about horizon being polished and wait for ME to be updated, I didn't even think about that. So tough lol.

Edit went with horizon, it's 53$ on amazon. Man I saw a comment saying this is better than bloodborne, my current favorite PS4 game lol. Thanks for the advice guys

slade

Don't know if it has been asked but for Power Cell #2,
the one you get after the Proving. Is it possible to still go back and get it if you missed it during 'The Womb of the Mountain,' quest? I fast travelled back to Mother's Watch but the gates were closed.

You may note that my gripe was pretty specifically about Glinthawks, which can dodge and move out of range and make the ropecaster the most annoying weapon to be forced to use for a particular challenge (the only challenge that I had to retry many times).
I don't think the Glints are that bad when they are close to you. Just got to lure them in. With the most powerful version of the ropecaster, hit them twice and they are down.

the one you get after the Proving. Is it possible to still go back and get it if you missed it during 'The Womb of the Mountain,' quest? I fast travelled back to Mother's Watch but the gates were closed.
Don't worry about that too much. You'll get access to it again before the last cell is available anyway.

Mifune

Mehmber
^^^thanks for the input guys, and your right about horizon being polished and wait for ME to be updated, I didn't even think about that. So tough lol.

Edit went with horizon, it's 53$ on amazon. Man I saw a comment saying this is better than bloodborne, my current favorite PS4 game lol. Thanks for the advice guys

The polish extends to things like world design and writing, too.

You made a wise decision. Andromeda is worth your time eventually, though.

smh at the ropecaster hate, it's a fantastic weapon.

I had the same problem, run around a bit until the evening and the gates should be open.

JZA

Just wanted to say. Love this game, it's been a long time since I wanted to pace myself playing a game because I was afraid it would be over too soon.

Top Bottom