• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn SPOILERS Thread

The Lamp

Man, the final boss showdown really is quite disappointing. Getting another Deathbringer after you've already downed 3-4 of them in the game just feels lame. The finale sort of ends up being very "videogame-epic" with the attack on Meridian.

The part before/with the first Stormbird was awesome though.

I will admit, after seeing that deactivated Metal Devil, my expectations were to fight one. I'm disappointed that did not happen.

Carcetti

With the post-credits it was vague and unclear, I guess it could've been the rest of the fled sub-AIs or the actual Horus titans or something that wasn't even revealed in this game.

And I'll eat my hat if they don't have a full-on Titan / Metal Devil fight in the sequel. Have to up the scale and make the old Dinos look small.

PepperedHam

Hopping in here with my hands over my eyeballs as I haven't finished the game yet but I need a specific question answered about the mission where you uncover all of the secrets about Zero Dawn.

There's a point where Aloy asks Sylens about the robot animals GAIA is producing. She asks him why they would make creatures that harm humans on sight. I walked too far I guess and this conversation was interrupted almost immediately and another conversation picked up. I was so mad as I wanted to hear that. Does he gave her an answer for that or is he just as clueless and curious as she was?

Forgive me for my ignorance, but does the game ever explain why Rost became an outcast for life? I beat the main story but I don't think I came across anything that explained why Rost got banished.

Thank you!

Carcetti

Forgive me for my ignorance, but does the game ever explain why Rost became an outcast for life? I beat the main story but I don't think I came across anything that explained why Rost got banished.

Thank you!

You can go back to the holy mountain and ask the matriarch, she'll explain it in detail.

Something I'm trying to get straight. Gaia lost control of her sub-facilities, was that the cause for Hades triggering the extinction protocol?

Also the signal that made Gaia lose control of the sub-facilities is never explained right?

It is heavily implied, through an optional audio log + Faro and Sobeck's conversation, that Ted Faro himself introduced the glitch as a means to catapult his company to even greater, world-dominating heights. He instructs his engineers to pivot and start manufacturing human-powered weapons and tanks without explanation, alluding to a "growth opportunity."

I think the collection of logs in that area indicate otherwise. You first have the log where Faro is practically begging his engineer to introduce a backdoor into the chariot-line, this implies that he has discovered the bug and is hoping that it's possible that the introduction of a backdoor to the system could let them kill all the active chariot models before news gets out. The second log you're talking about is him ramping up production of non-machine weapons BECAUSE he understands they need to try contain the glitched machines, at this point he knows about the glitch but the wider public doesn't. The growth opportunity stuff is just a loose cover up for employees. The rest of the logs in that area are similar, him basically looking for ways to fix the problem mixed in with the worlds first reports about oddly acting chariot models.

My understanding is that Gaia's self-destruction damaged Hades enough that it couldn't perform all of its functions. It can't signal to other machines without Sylens' assistance, and it can't activate its "reboot" extinction parameters without reaching the Spire to broadcast a globe-spanning signal (this plays into the final mission).

Gaia self destructed so Hades couldn't get access to her terraforming functions which would make extinction a trivial task, according to Sylens.

Not going to read anything but I'm going to post this here:

The thousand days battle continues:

source.gif

It would allow the writers to dive deeper into the interpretation of information. Like for the humans there, is that build of Apollo sacred to them? And do they perhaps think that reclaiming earth is their divine purpose?

Do they return to Earth as a foreign entity, an advanced race -- aliens to the tribes? Are they revered, feared, or some combination?

One thing I got a little mixed up in my head was, the differences between the Odyssey and Elysium. Was Odyssey merely a space mission as a last-ditch resort for survival, a Zero Dawn alternative? And Elysium was a terrestrial, underground hideout paradise built for Zero Dawn workers?

Gaia self destructed so Hades couldn't get access to her terraforming functions which would make extinction a trivial task, according to Sylens.

Good point. I forgot that line.

Something I'm trying to get straight. Gaia lost control of her sub-facilities, was that the cause for Hades triggering the extinction protocol?

Also the signal that made Gaia lose control of the sub-facilities is never explained right?

To the first part, I think yes, and I think about Travis Tate's conversations about the "just-right" link between Gaia and Hades. Without the connection that recognizes Gaia as the parent, Hades has no ability to assess or interpret the quality of her terraforming operations. No connection means the only code instinct that remains is extinction.

Second bit: no, never explained. She calls it "a signal of unknown origin" and the post-credits scene has Sylens going off to find out where the signal came from.

I think the collection of logs in that area indicate otherwise. You first have the log where Faro is practically begging his engineer to introduce a backdoor into the chariot-line, this implies that he has discovered the bug and is hoping that it's possible that the introduction of a backdoor to the system could let them kill all the active chariot models before news gets out. The second log you're talking about is him ramping up production of non-machine weapons BECAUSE he understands they need to try contain the glitched machines, at this point he knows about the glitch but the wider public doesn't. The growth opportunity stuff is just a loose cover up for employees. The rest of the logs in that area are similar, him basically looking for ways to fix the problem mixed in with the worlds first reports about oddly acting chariot models.

I really go back and forth on this. I hear you on the logs. What's weird is, I hear a "smug confidence" in Faro's voice when talks about pivoting to man-operated machines. The way he describes a "growth opportunity"--I hear smug, in-the-know businessman in his voice. At the same time, the Black Quartz audio log totally sounds panicked and fretful. It's possible that, though you find Black Quartz audio log first, that conversation actually takes place after the engineering pivot? Like, Faro thought there was a back door so they could discretely disable "rogue machines" while making billions on their new man-operated machines--essentially maintaining a proxy war.

My main read for the "Faro introduced the glitch malevolently" was in the third Elizabet Sobeck hologram, where she's flying in the VTOL while talking to him. She ominously threatens him with revealing "the true source of the glitch" and Ted instantly backs down: "Jesus, Elizabet. You don't need to threaten me."

Can you just spoil this for me?

Rost's wife and daughter were among many Nora either butchered or taken hostage by a particularly savage invading force of bandits. His wife and daughter were among those taken hostage. He requested the Matriarchs' permission to become a Deathseeker -- to leave the Nora lands and seek vengeance. He ultimately killed all of the original attackers, but was (I think) too late to save any of the hostages.

Even though he had left the sacred lands with a certain kind of blessing, the Matriarchs' didn't welcome him back. It was never thought that a Deathseeker would live or return--indeed, the word proclaims the person to be "spiritually dead" in the eyes of the All-mother--but Rost's love for the All-mother was enough that he made the journey home. As a compromise, they forbid him from ever entering the Embrace, but he was allowed to live and hunt in Nora lands as an outcast.

Stoffinator

I was wondering for those of you who are playing on the OG PS4 have had any frame rate issue? I've heard a few YouTuber's say they have had bad frame rate with the game.

CrazyDude

Sony sure loves putting skeleton of people who are from the past who you learn about in audio logs or letters after they have been betrayed while sitting around a table.

In the 4chan leak, it was stated that you can ride
Stormbirds at the end of the game
. Is that true?

How true was ther 4chan leak?

LoveCake

I have only got as far in the game where you become a 'seeker' I would like to know a could of things:

1) If you grab the plants/twigs etc to craft items, do these plants/twigs grow back, or is there 1000 health plants in the world and once they are picked by Aloy they are gone?

2) Is there any missions/side-missions or areas I should look out for to get the top weapon and armour available?

3) Once the final mission has been completed and the credits role, can you go back into the world and finish off any side-missions that had not been attempted?

4) Are there any encounters that have game changing results, for example when the boy threw a stone at Aloy and she caught the second stone, I decided to throw the stone back knocking another stone out of the boys hand, now when Aloy meets the boy later on he mentions the scar on Aloys head and then she talks about knocking the stone from his hand, now if I had threw the stone and hit his head, I an guessing that he would have a scar and this second encounter would have had a different result and of course dialogue, so is the game like the Fable games where how you act effects how you are perceived by others in the game?

5) What is the best skills to gain first?

I am planning to do as much as I can before taking on the final mission as I won't be returning as I love to get the maximum out of any game through the first play though.

I have only got as far in the game where you become a 'seeker' I would like to know a could of things:

1) If you grab the plants/twigs etc to craft items, do these plants/twigs grow back, or is there 1000 health plants in the world and once they are picked by Aloy they are gone?

2) Is there any missions/side-missions or areas I should look out for to get the top weapon and armour available?

3) Once the final mission has been completed and the credits role, can you go back into the world and finish off any side-missions that had not been attempted?

4) Are there any encounters that have game changing results, for example when the boy threw a stone at Aloy and she caught the second stone, I decided to throw the stone back knocking another stone out of the boys hand, now when Aloy meets the boy later on he mentions the scar on Aloys head and then she talks about knocking the stone from his hand, now if I had threw the stone and hit his head, I an guessing that he would have a scar and this second encounter would have had a different result and of course dialogue, so is the game like the Fable games where how you act effects how you are perceived by others in the game?

5) What is the best skills to gain first?

I am planning to do as much as I can before taking on the final mission as I won't be returning as I love to get the maximum out of any game through the first play though.

1) I'm pretty sure everything regrows kinda like how animals respawn after some time or distance traveled.
2) Haven't gotten any top weapons from quest, the best weapons are vendor ones as far as i know.
3) After completing the game it will reset the world to pre last mission.
4) Can't really answer
5)I like the skill where you can nock an extra arrow just to bring mobs quickly into their vulnerable states for extra damage

Any ties to Killzone series? I know this game happens in the Killzone universe (like how every Kojima game happen in the same universe starring same characters across many games). After seeing the hologram of Horizon robot at the beginning of Killzone ShadowFall as a probable future project, I expected
Sylens when first shown to be a futuristic AI projection of Thomas Sinclair
Did anyone see any connection to Killzone games?

Sony sure loves putting skeleton of people who are from the past who you learn about in audio logs or letters after they have been betrayed while sitting around a table.

Do you have some pics for that? Any Killzone characters among them?

Edit: I found this :
Ancient Vessel #3 in Set 2. Not 100% on the location I nabbed it. I was just scrolling through them and seen it. It's a picture of a Helghast head.

Anything else?

Overriden a Sawtooth: Took a Fire Bellowback, a Freeze Bellowback and a second Sawtooth and only lost 1/4 of his life (I helped from the distance of course).

Awe inspiring.

Overriden a Sawtooth: Took a Fire Bellowback, a Freeze Bellowback and a second Sawtooth and only lost 1/4 of his life (I helped from the distance of course).

Awe inspiring.

I think the game must buff the ones the player overrides because I overrid a Bellowback and he killed two bellowbacks plus a sawtooth on his own.

I like that there's a nice subtle explanation on the All-Mother religion.

All the humans were bought up and taught by Mother, one of the robots running the place. This is why the place is called the All-Mother mountins, because it's literally where the mother of all the first humans in this game lived. In time she was revered as a god.

As for calling their warriors Braves, it was her last line to them before they left. Asked them to be brave while outside.

There's also a plot line that needs to be resolved in the sequel/DLC. Aloy hasn't rebooted Gaia yet, and she needs to do it fast before the system governing the robots breaks down. The derangement will get worse.

Would be nice if we see more about Ted Faro too. His fate is still unknown, and he has built an extravagant place for himself; Thebes while managing to control the Gaia facility by proxy.

Zackat

ok so I might not be remembering correctly, but was Apollo working in the All-Mother? Did Faro just make it so that the kids couldn't get into the area to learn, or did he just take it out altogether? From the last couple of missions I had understood that he had nuked the program. But when we went through that door one of the Alphas popped up and said welcome to Apollo. Did it bug out after that? I wonder if Apollo is still out there somewhere, and we could somehow find him. That'd be a cool DLC.

Sylens was playing us all for is own game I guess, After all that he could just take control of Hades with no problem. Hard to say if he is just a warrior that wants to bring back knowledge at all costs, or is he looking for power? I am learning to the prior.

Sylens was playing us all for is own game I guess, After all that he could just take control of Hades with no problem. Hard to say if he is just a warrior that wants to bring back knowledge at all costs, or is he looking for power? I am learning to the prior.

Sylens is looking for knowledge at all costs. I thought he would be a villain too in the next game, but realised he was right to want to find out about the masters who woke Hades up.

The masters as they stand could still find a way to corrupt the Horizon world.

ok so I might not be remembering correctly, but was Apollo working in the All-Mother? Did Faro just make it so that the kids couldn't get into the area to learn, or did he just take it out altogether? From the last couple of missions I had understood that he had nuked the program. But when we went through that door one of the Alphas popped up and said welcome to Apollo. Did it bug out after that? I wonder if Apollo is still out there somewhere, and we could somehow find him. That'd be a cool DLC.

Dialogue says Faro nuked it altogether iirc. I'm guessing it's possible that intro welcome to Apollo thing wasn't technically part of Apollo itself but just a general part of the facility. I hope Sylens doesn't become an antagonist, I like it way more with this whole reluctant ally thing they got going on. Besides he's a smart dude, and if you think about it a master override function shouldn't directly kill the Hades module that would be really weird. Just stops it from performing actions. He knows this so confining Hades and asking it about what caused it to awaken seems like a smart move.

Sylens is looking for knowledge at all costs. I thought he would be a villain too in the next game, but realised he was right to want to find out about the masters who woke Hades up.

The masters as they stand could still find a way to corrupt the Horizon world.

It would be real cliche if it was Ted.

LoveCake

1) I'm pretty sure everything regrows kinda like how animals respawn after some time or distance traveled.
2) Haven't gotten any top weapons from quest, the best weapons are vendor ones as far as i know.
3) After completing the game it will reset the world to pre last mission.
4) Can't really answer
5)I like the skill where you can nock an extra arrow just to bring mobs quickly into their vulnerable states for extra damage

Thank you.

What is the best armor and weapon, I would rather save up and get them straight away.

Playsage

Thank you.

What is the best armor and weapon, I would rather save up and get them straight away.
Best armor is obtainable only before the final main quest by finding the batteria during main quest, best buyable armor is available only after someone gives you a "disguise" late on main quest

By the time You reach Meridian You should have access to all weapons' best versions.
A side quest' gives you three special weapons

You're about halfway through, maybe a bit more.

Not that I don't believe you, but was there an audio log that confirmed? The game says the Derangement began 15 or 20 years ago when (end-game spoiler)
an alien signal severed the connection between Gaia and Hades and the machines start losing operational commands.
and I thought there was one that mentions the Ravager, Thunderjaw, etc. being developed as part of the "peacekeeper" line for military applications.

Sorry for the late reply.

Before the Prooving Erend talks to Aloy about the Derangement and says that every couple of years or so a new and more powerful machine appears. (end game spoilers)
Basically, all the combat type machines were produced after Gaia self-destructed and the terraforming system started to colapse (and the subordinate functions went rogue).
You can also check the Scanned Glyph The Derangement in the Notebook.

The Derangement said:
This is to say nothing of the coming of the Sawtooth or its metal brethren: the Ravager, the Stalker, or the terrible giant the Thunderjaw. Each one has proved a more capable killer of men than the last, each wielding a wider array of strange weapons. The wilds are no longer safe due to the hostility of these new machines, though to date they not attacked a settlement within the Sundom.

The machines developed by Faro weren't based on animals. Only three Faro's machines are described in the game: Horus, Khopesh and Scarab. These were the Faro's "peacekeepers".

LoveCake

Best armor is obtainable only before the final main quest by finding the batteria during main quest, best buyable armor is available only after someone gives you a "disguise" late on main quest

By the time You reach Meridian You should have access to all weapons' best versions.
A side quest' gives you three special weapons

Thank you, I have seen a couple of videos about how to obtain the Shield Weaver Armor, can you elaborate on the special weapons?

Playsage

Thank you, I have seen a couple of videos about how to obtain the Shield Weaver Armor, can you elaborate on the special weapons?
The Hunter's Lodge in Meridian awards you a weapon every 15 emblems (half, full and blazing) you earn in the challenges at the Lodge's hunting grounds.
The weapons are
Warbow, blast sling and ropecaster
(not in order)
They are similiar to the normale purple ones but slightly better (I still haven't acquired them myself)

I think this was my favorite game I've played in last few years UNTIL that post-credits scene. Yuck...and super anti-climactic. In a world where they do such a great job with details, I wasn't a fan of Sylens magic science box that yanked Hades away from miles away. Or that Hades even survived. Like...why? Why couldn't thr scene just be Sylens talking in front of that giant frozen robot.

I assumed for most of the game that there was another AI out there since there is a whole log about them developing military AI. They were discussed as something you would buy that would learn, grow, and manage your military robots for you. I can't remember their name....It was in very first area where you're starting to learn about things and such.

shiba5

I think the "mysterious signal" comes from that jerk face Ted's clone still locked away in his personal bunker. At least I hope so because I'd really love to stick a spear in him.
I can imagine him cloning himself over and over through the centuries, giving himself all his accumulated knowledge to play god and keep the people "pure".

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Hmm....so are we to assume that the 'red swirl' escaping at the end from Hades is the original (or at least part of the original) Faros 'glitch', then?

I'm kind of curious on how it would 'escape' from a totally neutered system incapable of sending signals (unless it sent itself away just before Aloy nuked it, and we're just seeing it as a post-scene due to sequel setup potential), and just happen to 'latch onto' the nearby technological lantern that Sylens has.

I do like that Aloy specifically mentions Sylens willing to do it all again, and Sylens acknowledges that as long as he took extra precautions to not letting the 'corruption' spread, he'd definitely keep up his search for knowledge.

Very curious as to where GG might go in the next game. Aloy's (and Elizabet's) story was so tied into that specific area, that I'm not sure on how they could realistically pull her away to a brand new landscape without some handwringing. The 'curiosity' aspect of her personality, maybe, or to actually restore GAIA prime from a backup, but that'd be about it.

So what's up with the Sun King (AKA skinny Ben Affleck) hitting on Aloy right after Elsa is dead?

It is interesting to note that he actually does apologize for this near the end, during the second-to-last main quest.

I think this was my favorite game I've played in last few years UNTIL that post-credits scene. Yuck...and super anti-climactic. In a world where they do such a great job with details, I wasn't a fan of Sylens magic science box that yanked Hades away from miles away. Or that Hades even survived. Like...why? Why couldn't thr scene just be Sylens talking in front of that giant frozen robot.

I assumed for most of the game that there was another AI out there since there is a whole log about them developing military AI. They were discussed as something you would buy that would learn, grow, and manage your military robots for you. I can't remember their name....It was in very first area where you're starting to learn about things and such.

I just finished the game and totally agree with this sentiment. Didn't ruin the game for me, but knocked the story down a peg with a real cop-out ending. It was nonsensical and pointless, given that they could have accomplished the exact same thing without the magic lantern and flying magic computer code. Just have Sylens talking to a "mysterious voice" standing in front of a the dead Horus mention something about Hades' "masters", and BOOM, same effect. Instead we get technomagic that completely invalidates our actions to stop Hades and save the world, and casts into doubt even why Sylens was helping us in the first place, making him less believable as a character.

Conversely, everything up to that post-credit scene was terrific. A nice punctuation on the story and gameplay. Going to be hard to push this game out of my GOTY spot, even with that sorry excuse for sequel bait.

shiba5

Anyone got a theory on what the metal flowers are and why they have a triangular growth of flowers around them? I noticed that Dr. Sobeck's body also has the same triangle of flowers around it.

Anyone got a theory on what the metal flowers are and why they have a triangular growth of flowers around them? I noticed that Dr. Sobeck's body also has the same triangle of flowers around it.

I thought they were supposed to be seed pods? Basically "planted" in places to open when the atmosphere recovered enough to support life?

FeD.nL

Do we have a timeline anywhere? I'm still not sure when the game takes place compared to Zero Dawn?

It's still incomplete but I got this far:

31 oct. 2064 - Ted Faro informs Elisabet Sobeck on a glitch in the Chariot Line
1 nov. 2064 - Elisabet finds out the machines are capable of self replication and use biomass as fuel. The swarm is its own mind now that can't be stopped
3 nov. 2064 - Elisabet Sobeck meets with General Herres and the rest of the Joint Chiefs to suggest Project: Zero Dawn as the way to preserve human life.
Nov. 2064 - Elisbet gets Zero Dawn approved and has 16 months to get it running.
Nov. 2064 - Operation: Enduring Victory is laid out. Lying to the people to arm themselves and fight together against the machines to have a chance. The real reason is to buy time for Project: Zero Dawn.
Sometime 2065 - Samina Ebadji suggests Elisabet that the format to store the 40+ zettabytes for Apollo is Encapsulated DNA.
Sometime 2065 - Project: Zero Dawn gets ectogenic chambers from Project: Far Zenith. Elisabet has traded something to get these chambers (I think the alpha build of Apollo). Patrick Brochard-Klein notes that if the rest of Project: Far Zenith is this high-tech a colony around Sirius doesn't seem impossible.
15 july. 2065 - The Odyssey with Far Zenith has launched. Elisabet notes that she worries about the Alpha build of Apollo onboard of the ship. Access to all knowledge but few restraints and no fail-safes.
Sometime after - Elisabet sends out an email to all Alphas noting that the Odyssey has failed. A catastrophic anti-matter containment failure when the drives spun up to leave the solar system was the issue.
13 jan. 2066 - Gaia is moved to the prime and final installment. Once there they'll bring up the subordinate functions and see where they stand.
2 feb. 2066 - Ted Faro executes the omega override and deletes Apollo as well as killing the other Alphas
16 march 2326 - The inhabitants of installation E-9 are released. The installation seals itself and operations are suspended.
26 aug. 3020 - A signal (not from earth) has caused Gaia to lose control of her systems and allow Hades to overtake in response.
26 aug. 3020 - Installation E-9 receives orders from Gaia. #LK1A1-4510 is processed and an ectogenic chamber is prepared.
4 apr. 3021 - #LK1A1-4510 is considered viable and born at 09:30. At 10:19 she is brought outside the hatch by a servitor after which the installation seals its hatch and operations are suspended once again.
October 3021 - #LK1A1-4510 is named Aloy

Top Bottom