• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hotline Miami 2 launching on March 10

MUnited83

For you.
The mouse controls don't add too much to hotline miami; the game uses a twin stick shooter control scheme. as long as you can rotate quickly (which you definitely can with the vita sticks) you are well equipped to deal with what the game throws at you.

Yep, this.

Astarte

Played all three versions and I couldn't cope with the double sticks. A+'d every stage on PC..couldn't get past the cop stage in PS3/Vita ._.

Gaz_RB

Interestingly, I find that I like this game best on PC, which is weird for me as I usually go Vita or PS4. Something about the pinpoint accuracy seems perfect for this game.

Really? I haven't tried this because I assumed M+KB aiming while moving easier. How does it work with a controller?

Pretty much the same. Your aim is based entirely on the direction your character is facing, and controlled by the rotation of the player character. But instead of rotating your mouse, you rotate the stick. The only real difference is that the rotation motion comes from your thumb with sticks, as opposed to your wrist with mice.

Just chiming in, I played PC/Vita version and really fell in love with the game on Vita. The controls are really good and looking ahead by swiping the screen worked really well. Vita all the way for me.

Fee

Ok thanks. Was going to pick up for the pre-order discount, but I might as well wait then as my next trip is not for another 2 weeks.

There is a pre order discount on steam, but not on PSN. The discount on PSN runs for the first week the game is released for ps+ members.

Fee

When's the embargo up?

YF8LtqB.png

Axiology

The Vita and console controls for Hotline work really well, but I balk at the notion that they're just as good as the keyboard and mouse, and especially wouldn't say that they work just the same way.

A mouse will always be far more accurate for aiming than a stick is, that fact has never been reasonably contested. The Vita has touch lock-on, which is a very innovative feature, but on PC I've never felt I've needed it. I've played the game 80 hours and I don't even know which button the lock-on is. The ability to look further using the shift button also helps to fundamentally differentiate the PC version. On Vita you accomplish looking around the map by dragging the screen. Again, very innovative, but you can't really do this while you're moving around, leading to a less active playstyle if looking around the map factors into how you play the game. On console you can look further while moving, but because the aiming is relegated to a stick instead of a mouse, the reticle always snaps back to your character when it returns to its neutral position. You can use the far-aiming in a more active way than in the Vita version, but it ultimately pales in comparison to the ability to drag the reticle without having it snap back every few seconds.

The vast majority of Hotline speedruns are done on PC, because they couldn't be done the same elsewhere. Everyone has their preferences, but if you're talking about accuracy and efficiency in regards to aiming, sticks can never stand up to a mouse.

Tainted

You can just go to store.steampowered.com/?cc=us (when not logged in, this will show the US store), add Hotline Miami 2 to your cart, go to the checkout, login and you'll be able to purchase it. This is what I did and it worked fine.

Unfortunately this didnt work for me (I'm in AU where HM2 is banned)

steam error:

The current payment method does not match the country of the store. The cart has been converted and the updated total will show on the next page. You may also review your cart here, or change your payment method below.

I tried all different payment methods, same error

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
As a Vita player, I don't think it's a question that KB/M is more accurate. Some people might not be comfortable with those controls, but mouse precision > stick precision is a fact.

That said, the game lends itself very well to the twin-stick shooter scheme. I'd say you're not missing out on anything by playing on PS4/Vita. Lock-on was never used in my playthrough. I was able to 100% the game and the controls never got in the way. If I had one request, it would be to make the screen scrolling feature be put on the back pad instead of the screen (or both).

impact

Banned
As a Vita player, I don't think it's a question that KB/M is more accurate. Some people might not be comfortable with those controls, but mouse precision > stick precision is a fact.

That said, the game lends itself very well to the twin-stick shooter scheme. I'd say you're not missing out on anything by playing on PS4/Vita. Lock-on was never used in my playthrough. I was able to 100% the game and the controls never got in the way. If I had one request, it would be to make the screen scrolling feature be put on the back pad instead of the screen (or both).

Having to lift my hand off other controls to do "look further" was probably the worst thing for me with the Vita version. I guess for pros that memorized all the levels and enemy placements its nbd but I found it to be really annoying.

OLED > my plasma or 144hz monitor though so Vita still winning in that regard. I'm sure everyone will love the game no matter what system they buy it on ;)

Got the collector's edition, but won't get it till the end of march on 2nd press :(

Can't wait regardless, just gonna play through it on my brother's ps4 till then

The Vita and console controls for Hotline work really well, but I balk at the notion that they're just as good as the keyboard and mouse, and especially wouldn't say that they work just the same way.

A mouse will always be far more accurate for aiming than a stick is, that fact has never been reasonably contested. The Vita has touch lock-on, which is a very innovative feature, but on PC I've never felt I've needed it. I've played the game 80 hours and I don't even know which button the lock-on is. The ability to look further using the shift button also helps to fundamentally differentiate the PC version. On Vita you accomplish looking around the map by dragging the screen. Again, very innovative, but you can't really do this while you're moving around, leading to a less active playstyle if looking around the map factors into how you play the game. On console you can look further while moving, but because the aiming is relegated to a stick instead of a mouse, the reticle always snaps back to your character when it returns to its neutral position. You can use the far-aiming in a more active way than in the Vita version, but it ultimately pales in comparison to the ability to drag the reticle without having it snap back every few seconds.

The vast majority of Hotline speedruns are done on PC, because they couldn't be done the same elsewhere. Everyone has their preferences, but if you're talking about accuracy and efficiency in regards to aiming, sticks can never stand up to a mouse.

You are completely right that a mouse is a better tool for aiming than a stick. That isn't in question. The problem is that you don't traditionally "aim" in Hotline; you rotate. And the differences between a sticks ability to rotate and a mouse's ability to rotate are much smaller. This also helps with the "neutral position" problem. Why would you ever allow the stick to return to neutral? You should continually be pressing it in the direction you are intending to face.

TheBear

I finished HM on the PC first and then the Vita.
For me, controls on the Vita were superb. Fast, fluid and didn't miss a beat. I think KB/M is more accurate but I had more fun on the Vita. PS3 on the other hand was a travesty. Total dog shit.

DirtyLarry

When Hotline Miami came out I first played it on the PC, loved the visuals and atmosphere, but found the KB&M a little unwieldy and never actually beat it as it was more frustrating then it was not.

Checked it out again on the Vita and beat it in two nights, which is an absolute rarity for me these days with limited time.

Replayed it on the PC with an XBox 360 controller and also beat it there.

Point being this is one game where I personally feel no matter what the platform a controller is just the better input choice.

This of course is just my opinion.

Roussow

I want torrenting to be a last resort. Anyone worked out a sure fire way to get this on PC or Playstation as an Australian?

Drain You

Mannnn, my special edition needs to hurry up and ship. I haven't been so excited for a game in a very long time. I'm actually glad this game didn't really hype itself up, just a slow trickle of info.

Axiology

You are completely right that a mouse is a better tool for aiming than a stick. That isn't in question. The problem is that you don't "aim" in Hotline; you rotate. And the differences between a sticks ability to rotate and a mouse's ability to rotate are much smaller. This also helps with the "neutral position" problem. Why would you ever allow the stick to return to neutral? You should continually be pressing it in the direction you are intending to face.

You do both, actually. When you're not holding shift or the equivalent console button your aiming is based on rotation. Most of what I focused on was the far-aiming, which is actually a lot less about rotation, and more about drawing a mental line between your character and the crosshair to make sure your shots go to a specific part of the screen. If one's playstyle doesn't rely very much on the far-aiming one might not ever have to worry about the aiming differences. Me, I never let go of the shift button.

As for the idea that your right stick should never be in a neutral position, I was talking specifically about far-aiming, which frees your reticle from the circle around your character, therefore introducing the distance of the crosshair into the equation.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I'm sure theres some wacky VPN stuff you can do, but the devs gave their blessing to you unlucky Aussies:

Z84eDVa.png

The guys at devolver are pretty amazing people. I've had a chance to talk with them a bit at e3 and they're so welcoming and friendly.

MUnited83

For you.
Unfortunately this didnt work for me (I'm in AU where HM2 is banned)

steam error:

I tried all different payment methods, same error

It only works with steam wallet I think.

Instructions for Australians to buy the game on Steam:

1- Go to http://store.steampowered.com/app/274170/?cc=us . Add to cart.
2- Go until the "Payment Method" window appears
3- On a separate page, open http://store.steampowered.com/app/274170/?cc=au
4- Go to the "Payment Method" window again and hit "continue"
5- Complete purchase

Just got out of my night class (9pm here) so stoked to open my new records, as they have been out for delivery since 9am. No sign of them, but tracking still says its estimated delivery is on time for March 9th.

What gives?

Top Bottom