• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Houston shooting: Nine injured, suspect pronounced dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/26/us/houston-shooting/index.html

(CNN)A gunman who died in a shootout with officers in Houston Monday morning was a lawyer who lived in the neighborhood and left a car full of weapons near the scene, the city's police chief said.

"We are bringing in the bomb squad to secure it safe," Acting Police Chief Martha Montalvo told reporters.

The FBI is at the scene and assisting the investigation, she said.
Montalvo did not reveal the suspect's identity, but told reporters, "he is a lawyer and there were issues concerning his law firm."
Police said nine people were injured in the shooting, one critically and one seriously.

Didn't see this posted yet.

jmdajr

Seems like this was a Going Postal incident from what I have read.

I would visit that area frequently. There is a Chuckee cheese I would take my kid to.

gcubed

this happened like 5 hours ago, there are 9 posts on a thread started 4-5 hours after the incident and no campaigns have had all hands on deck to discuss this terrible tragedy.

The FBI is at the scene and assisting the investigation, she said.
Montalvo did not reveal the suspect's identity, but told reporters, "he is a lawyer and there were issues concerning his law firm."

oh. thats why

That sucks. Luckily none of my close friends or family members work in Houston itself or I'd be terrified right now calling everyone.

Hopefully the injured recover quickly

jmdajr

One witness said the dude had an AR-15 rifle.

Nothing official yet though. One person in critical condition.

well, the name has been released. I won't post it. I know a number of attorneys under investigation/indictment here, so I had a great deal of morbid curiosity for who this was, but I am unfamilair with him. Indian descent, I believe, which is a bit unusual in these matters.

Dat mental health problem. Bet he could have katana'd the same amount of people if guns were outlawed.

Also, fuck me man. I feel horrible for the victims. Imagine how scary it would be to just start getting unloaded on.

Hope they all pull through.

SaganIsGOAT

My morning routine is getting a little repetitive these days

Wake up
Exercise
Shower
Drink some Coffee
Read about this weeks Mass Shootings

Keasar

TalonJH

My morning routine is getting a little repetitive these days

Wake up
Exercise
Shower
Drink some Coffee
Read about TODAY'S Mass Shooting

We just had one. Changed "week" to "today's" I would have went with "this mornings" but the happen at all times of the day.

HyperionX

As I said in another thread, owning guns greatly increases the chances that you or someone around is going to die or get injured. People continue to pander the fantasy of self-defense, when in reality those are extremely rare and easily dwarfed by the negatives. This is just another example of the negatives.

jmdajr

6fd36ad4_o.png

This dude miraculously didn't get hit.

Malajax

Apparently a student of one of my professors got injured in this shooting. She arrived late and opened with talking to someone if you need help.

Tragic. Can't believe stuff like this keeps happening.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Man, this shit is just going to get worse and worse as time progresses, the wage gap increases, climate change really starts kicking in and folks just get more disenchanted with society in general. Headed towards that dystopian future at full speed and I don't know what humanity can do to avoid it, if anything.

Hopefully the injured all have quick recoveries with no serious ramifications.

Log4Girlz

It's a never-ending cycle.

There's over 300 million people in this country. If 1 million died a year, it'll be over 300 years before we're all gone. The slaughter in this country can literally reach that level and Republicans and the NRA would be just fine with it.

Is the country going bonkers? Muslims and Neo-nazi mass shootings, bombings, stabbings in the last two weeks.
No.

Crime is down. Homicides are slightly up on last year, but still lower than almost every year since the 1960s.

The country is safer today than at almost any time in modern history.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
No.

Crime is down. Homicides are slightly up on last year, but still lower than almost every year since the 1960s.

This is 100% true. You couldn't tell it by the media coverage though.

Guevara

No.

This unfortunately no longer true. Still better than the 90s, but a notable jump:

The number of murders in the United States increased sharply in 2015, with significant rises in several large cities, according to an annual report released on Monday by the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

The 10.8 percent increase in the rate of murders from 2014 to 2015 represented the largest year-to-year jump in at least 20 years, according to the F.B.I. data, but the murder rate remained about half the level from the 1990s, when violent crime reached a modern peak.

Violent crime in the United States increased nearly 4 percent in the United States in 2015, according to the report.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/27/us/murder-crime-fbi.html?_r=0

Breads

Banned
A lawyer dresses at a nazi and starts shooting random people?

I'm like... super curious to know more about this person. It's just so bizarre.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
No.

I always kind of assumed that was the case but I had no way to back that up. The 24-hour news feed we receive via the internet just makes us more aware of every small incident that we wouldn't have been aware of even 15 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom