• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How can 20 dollar budget CW do a better Flash costume then the JL? Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.
So OP doesn't know good design.

*writes that down*

I don't necessarily think the CW version is great, but in no way is the film version good design.

Flash and Cyborg are the design missteps of the DCEU. Superman could use some tweaking. Batman, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman are great.

I kinda like the JL costume. i think it will look great in motion

e7121fdc8fadb213a46cf31f41c41ad2.gif

A better costume would've looked the same in motion. The film visualization of the Flash's powers is quite cool. That doesn't actually make the design better.

Kard8p3

I'll be the first to say how me s3 of Flash has been, but I legit don't see how people like the movie costume better. I mean it looks... Slightly better in that gif, but they don't even have the correct lightning color.

wamberz1

I thought this show was supposed to have good cgi.

At least that's what that shark gif lead me to believe.

Keep in mind they usually have to use heavy CGI once or twice each episode, on a significantly lower budget than other hero shows.

What they lack in quality they make up for in quantity. Most of the time.

qTbRMOA.gif

wetwired

Comparing the 2 in the OP I prefer the shape of the mask/helmet from JL but the cleanness of the rest of the CW one. The head on the CW one looks a bit...special?

CW looks fine for a CW budget. I always thought the Flash would look dumb in real life so I don't mind how this looks.

JL looks like a power ranger mixed with a transformer though.

Nope. TV show budget CGI.

Sometimes it works:

but, human figures always look off.

Flash's budget is in the neighborhood of $2-3 million per episode. So $66 million per season. Justice League's budget is on par or more than Batman v Superman, which was $250 million.
I don't know what the fuck people expect on not only a tv budget but a CW budget.
I'd rather they do cool stuff with bad CG than playing safe within budget.

jett

D-Member
They're really invested in this piece of crap tv show to say otherwise

JL one is better but both really could do with major changes

lol

That's mean but it's definitely affecting people's opinions, plus general negativity on the Snyderverse. The CW costume honestly simply looks cheap as hell. That Reverse Flash thing people keep posting is just an ugly-ass monstrosity.

Personally I have no love for tradition or have any stakes in the Flash character, so the JL suit looks fine to me. Could be sleeker around the shoulders but I don't mind all the detail it has.

Well naturally since he has the strongest "comic book" face for it. But even he looks awkward a few times during BvS (see dash riprock avatar)
If they gave him the white eyes, there'd be less awkward moments. It's just weird watching Batman with big brown eyes shining in the darkness.
Code:
[img]https://i.ytimg.com/vi/JyIGpi8pYhw/maxresdefault.jpg[/img]

If they gave him the white eyes, there'd be less awkward moments. It's just weird watching Batman with big brown eyes shining in the darkness.

People will point at Deadpool and spiderman for why that works but man I have a feeling he would look hilarious with the white eyes. Something about seeing the partial face and the white eyes that makes me imagine something real goofy if done in film. I feel like it only works that way if the whole face is covered

I'm sure theyve tried the white eyes in preproduction

People will point at Deadpool and spiderman for why that works but man I have a feeling he would look hilarious with the white eyes. Something about seeing the partial face and the white eyes that makes me imagine something real goofy if done in film. I feel like it only works that way if the whole face is covered
I think it would work. Make the eyes of the cowl narrower and put in the white lenses. Would do wonders for scenes in the dark where you see his silhouette and his eyes glinting.

I think it would work. Make the eyes of the cowl narrower and put in the white lenses. Would do wonders for scenes in the dark where you see his silhouette and his eyes glinting.

Thats where it would be amazing. It's the shots in visible lighting where I think it's hard to pull off

But yeah the scenes during the night and in the shadows with a white eyed batman...whew.

Personally I have no love for tradition or have any stakes in the Flash character, so the JL suit looks fine to me. Could be sleeker around the shoulders but I don't mind all the detail it has.

Has nothing to do with tradition. The problem isn't that it's armor, or that it diverges from previous Flash costumes. The character has a long history of wildly-different designs. The design is just too busy. Too many varying colors, too many lines that convey nothing about the character and his powers. I think there was certainly a way to get at the design they have there without tripping over itself.

What we've seen isn't it.

In the grand scheme of things, whatever. Flash looks to be one of the better visualized characters from a powers standpoint and enjoyable characters characters from an actor standpoint. It'll be fine.

But no, it's not a good design.

Some of the CW gifs in here look worse than they do live. Although I haven't seen anything from the Flashpoint season onward, so I don't know about those more recent ones.

Still, the suit from the movie is horribly over-designed. I really don't get why they went with that. Cyborg also looks overdone, so it seems to be something up with the design team.

Some of the CW gifs in here look worse than they do live. Although I haven't seen anything from the Flashpoint season onward, so I don't know about those more recent ones.

CW CGI stuff is cheap and usually not meant to be seen over and over again. It gets the job done, but no, you're not supposed to focus on it.

DJwest

If Justice League used the TV Flash costume you guys would be tearing it apart.
True.

Movie Flash not only looks better, he caught Captain Boomerang in 10 seconds. TV flash would have lost to him twice, asked Harrison Wells and Cisco if he needs to run fast, broke up with Iris 3 times, asked arrow for advice, killed 5 earth 2lings for no reason, and ruined the timeline, before finally catching him.
That is also true.

JL suit looks much better. I still prefer Zoom's suit though.

sturmdogg

Nope. TV show budget CGI.

Sometimes it works:

but, human figures always look off.

Flash's budget is in the neighborhood of $2-3 million per episode. So $66 million per season. Justice League's budget is on par or more than Batman v Superman, which was $250 million.

I remember in the old days when CGI was new, people kept saying it would replace practical effects because it would be cheaper as everything is done on a computer. $2-3 million per episode? Wow.

TheFlow

Banned
Flash is a good tv show

Tv costume shomehow being better than the film version blows my mind.

How do you ruin cyborg and flash for the big screen

Disgraced

Flash in spandex could work on film, I think. Don't go for 2017 Rangers or Avengers' Cap.

Look at Spider-Man on film, Raimi or Marvel. Spidey, a character Flash usually has more in common with personality-wise than the Big Three.

JL's design is just a mess. CW's design is fine, it's just made super cheap. Do the CW design with JL budget and you've got something good.

I'm not gonna give JL a point just because it got money behind it. They lost their damn minds with that weird mech transformers piece of trash and that's the whole point of a design. CW wins.

ZeroX03

Banned
The reason Grodd and King Shark look so good is because the visual effects team get advance notice and they put in extra hours to get them looking stunning because they care. Budget is only half the equation, they turn these episodes around in a few months. You can throw all the money you want at something but time is still limited.

I remember in the old days when CGI was new, people kept saying it would replace practical effects because it would be cheaper as everything is done on a computer. $2-3 million per episode? Wow.

That's still on the cheap side for network.

TheFlow

Banned
JL's design is just a mess. CW's design is fine, it's just made super cheap. Do the CW design with JL budget and you've got something good.

I'm not gonna give JL a point just because it got money behind it. They lost their damn minds with that weird mech transformers piece of trash and that's the whole point of a design. CW wins.
Yup

Dalek

The sad thing is that the film could have an amazing costume. They have the budget. They chose to make him look fucking awful because they're too busy trying to make these characters look edgy to focus on what makes them special. Don't even get me started on Cyborg.

Perfectly put.

"We've for the budget-might as well use it! Let's add some thick armor and big shoulder pads."

Movie Flash not only looks better, he caught Captain Boomerang in 10 seconds. TV flash would have lost to him twice, asked Harrison Wells and Cisco if he needs to run fast, broke up with Iris 3 times, asked arrow for advice, killed 5 earth 2lings for no reason, and ruined the timeline, before finally catching him.

Best post in the thread imo.

G-Fex

Pretty much why I stopped watching. Looks like I'm not missing out on much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom