• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How could you let this happen Sony!? Kingdom Hearts not coming to PSN/PSPGo

Lothars

I think the Go is a fantastic version of the PSP and it sucks that this will not be available digitally but I suspect it will be sooner than later.

I don't understand why the Go gets shit on as much as it does, I am really impressed with it.

One of the most fun things I've done in college for software engineering is studying the failures of other people. My sister is has a masters degree in Organisational Development and she said the same thing. I would LOVE to get all the great details of Sony this generation. I bet there is an entire thesis worth of great failure for students to study. Seriously, the best part is reading the arguments executives and decision makers make to dismiss valid objections and criticisms of the idea they create.

*If you'd like to know more about ignorance, pride and failure in product releases or software projects, start by reading about the Therac-25 radiation machine.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Haunted said:
I think it's his day off.
Nah train was just running late.

Lothars said:
I think the Go is a fantastic version of the PSP and it sucks that this will not be available digitally but I suspect it will be sooner than later.

I don't understand why the Go gets shit on as much as it does, I am really impressed with it.
See! Here he is!

Lothars

Jive Turkey said:
Nah train was just running late.

See! Here he is!

I am not a GO fanboy though, I paid a 100 bucks for my GO and think that was the right price, it is overpriced at 250 dollars but it's not a bad system at all.

Lothars said:

The biggest reason is that it is a "PSP" (allegedly) that lacks compatibility with the majority of PSP games.

Other reasons:
1. Price
2. digital download model in general
3. no way to transfer UMD games to flash storage

The PSP Go is akin to Sony releasing a smaller, more compact PS3 at the expense of the BD drive. And then charging $400 for it.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Lothars said:
I am not a GO fanboy though, I paid a 100 bucks for my GO and think that was the right price, it is overpriced at 250 dollars but it's not a bad system at all.
It was a joke. Calm down.

duckroll

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Um...why? I don't understand why they would do this.

They better not do this with Tactics Ogre or 3rd Birthday, or I'd be tee'd off for sure!

It's not Square Enix. It's Disney.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Ugh, fuck. Why bother to put the PSN logo on the official site? Why did Sony show it on the Go in that E3 trailer? I know the Go is a horrible abortion of a software platform, but as a console it is wonderful. You'd think somebody at Sony would be willing to put a bit of pressure on Disney to get the biggest PSP title available for download. I guess I'll play it on my 1000, but I was hoping to avoid the awful ghosting and hand cramps I get from that old lummox. Ah well.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Lothars said:

It gets shit on because:
- Most of us already own PSPs, so rebuying hardware and then having to rebuy software makes no sense. If there had been a USB attachment to rip your own UMDs like the PS3's PS2 memory card transfer unit, 90%+ of the complaints would have been erased.

- Custom firmware already allows must of us to install games, so most of us already have the main benefit of the Go.

- $250 at launch was too expensive, even if it didn't have these problems.

- Even assuming none of these problems existed, major content is missing from PSN and a lot of the content that's there costs significantly more than buying retail copies of the games, especially for people on GAF who are alert enough and savvy enough to find deals.

- For those of us who are interested in the industry side of things, it bombed worse than anything since at least the Virtual Boy. In Japan, as I noted, it's still on its initial pitiful shipment. In the US, it's a vanishingly small percentage of a console with vanishingly small overall hardware sales. Half the jokes are just about the fact that it bombed, not whether or not it deserved to.

snap0212

Lothars said:
The PSPGo itself is great. The thing is that if you want to play a game on it you pretty much always pay more, get it later and have no chance of reselling it. Then there's also people who already owned a PSP for a couple of years and have 20 or more games. They cannot just copy them to their PSPGo and play them - they have to rebuy them. And even that's not possible, because not every PSP Game is available. PSPGo owners miss out on some of the best PSP games, just because the Publisher/Sony doesn't make them available for download. I don't care about the reasons or if the reason is something Sony can't do anything about. All I care about is the fact that the games are not available on the Store.

Another problem that kills the PSPGo for me is the limitation to one PSN Account. I can not have my US and EU Games on there at the same time. It's not the PSPGo itself that is a bad thing. It's Sony's service (PSPGo related). And you're forced to use it.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Stumpokapow said:
Well the PSP Go isn't even close to selling out its initial 150k shipment in Japan, so PSP Go owners represent <1% of the userbase and it's assumed that a fair few of them owned PSPs anyway, so probably well less than 1% of the effective userbase
Damn, the Go did that badly? I'm surprised.

That really sucks for Go owners. I almost ended up getting a Go last month because of the nicer screen and other functions. But the lack of Crisis Core, FF Tactics, and some others not being on PSN made me end up with the 3000. Glad I did that because BBS is probably my most looked forward to game.

To be honest I really didn't believe the rumors they wouldn't have KH BBS on PSN for the Go. Its kind of shocking really. Oh well, hopefully it ends up on it eventually.

Phloxy

Well this is pretty fucking stupid. I had my ps2 for a long time. Buy the go because, ya know, it was their newest piece of hardware for the psp at the time. Now I can't play one of the games I bought this system for? Pretty fucking stupid.

duckroll said:
I'm crying too. It's too funny watching people suffer sometimes. :(

As I am reading this thread I am singing the song "How could this happen to me... I made my mistake.. got nowhere to run... how could this happen to m...psn"! and It just fits you know, because it feels like I took a pop culture song and applied it to a thread!:D

Well I chuckled to myself about it!

But don't you guys think KH in all its form will come when we know more about KH3? It might be a secret weapon they have in hiding.

duckroll

GrumpyAlien said:
To be honest I really didn't believe the rumors they wouldn't have KH BBS on PSN for the Go. Its kind of shocking really. Oh well, hopefully it ends up on it eventually.

You know, it stopped being a rumor 7 months ago when it came out in Japan. I guess some people just want to believe in fairy tales. :lol

MrPliskin

Banned
I don't own a Go, but I don't enjoy buying UMD games.

Short answer? I'll pass on this until square eventually remakes the game 3 more times on another platform.

BJK

H_Prestige said:
The biggest reason is that it is a "PSP" (allegedly) that lacks compatibility with the majority of PSP games.

Other reasons:
1. Price
2. digital download model in general
3. no way to transfer UMD games to flash storage

The PSP Go is akin to Sony releasing a smaller, more compact PS3 at the expense of the BD drive. And then charging $400 for it.

As someone who dropped $130 to pick up a PSP 3000 bundle last month (so I could play VC2 and to a lesser extent KH), I could add in:

4. Online games never go on clearance.

...since I bought FF Dissidia for the PSP months ago, when I found it for $7 at Target. Buying it off PSN would have cost about twice that. Valve puts games on pretty deep sales, but they're not trying to get rid of physical copies of the game.

I prefer the form factor and aesthetics of the PSP Go over the PSP; don't even like UMDs, to be honest. I just couldn't bring myself to buy one, knowing that it might lock me out of playing S-E games down the line.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Vic said:
Damn, the Go did that badly? I'm surprised.

Japan PSP Go:
- 150k shipment day one (November 1st, 2009)
- 119k sold as of this week (10 months worth of sales)

Last ten weeks of sales:

So, uh, yeah. By September of next year they should sell out their day one shipment, if all goes well and the sales don't trend downward!

MrPliskin said:
Short answer? I'll pass on this until square eventually remakes the game 3 more times on another platform.

Good luck with that. The most recently US released game that they've remade even a single time was released January 28th, 1998 for the first time. Kingdom Hearts is releasing on September 7th, 2010, so see you in 2022.

GrumpyAlien said:

It didn't come out in Japan, its home country and still hasn't come out for about 7 months now. That was the nail IMO.

Lothars

Stumpokapow said:
Japan PSP Go:

Last ten weeks of sales:

So, uh, yeah. By September of next year they should sell out their day one shipment, if all goes well and the sales don't trend downward!

That's crazy, I always thought it sold more in Japan but definitely shows that it was a failure in Japan.

Takao

Banned
duckroll said:
It's not Square Enix. It's Disney.

Doesn't explain why Crisis Core, War of the Lions (this is coming to iPhone, so it's not a rights issue), and the 1 & 2 remakes aren't on PSN.

The later of those are on PSN via the original PSone Classics releases, but the PSP releases have enough in terms of changes to warrant the release.

MrPliskin

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Good luck with that. The most recently US released game that they've remade even a single time was released January 28th, 1998 for the first time. Kingdom Hearts is releasing on September 7th, 2010, so see you in 2022.

Yea, we'll see I suppose. The game isn't really that important to me right now.

Either way, I think it's fairly certain that, at some point in time (no matter how far off) this will see release on another platform, and I'll play it then. I don't want UMD's, period. If I don't have the option, I won't play the game.

duckroll

Takao said:
Doesn't explain why Crisis Core, War of the Lions (this is coming to iPhone, so it's not a rights issue), and the 1 & 2 remakes aren't on PSN.

The later of those are on PSN via the original PSone Classics releases, but the PSP releases have enough in terms of changes to warrant the release.

There's a good reason for this actually. To release a UMD-only game on PSN, they need to convert it and run it through QA for approval again. There is a specific process which costs time and money. It doesn't matter that it's merely a formality, because the investment into such a release is still very real.

It is much easier to release a new title on both UMD and PSN, since you can just get approval at the same time, and the development team and QA team working on the title can just absorb the combined cost as part of a planned release. For older titles where the teams have moved on to other projects and budgets have been set aside for all current projects, management will have to consider whether it is worthwhile to put out older titles on PSN based on possible return on investment and so on.

That's not to say that S-E cannot afford to put Crisis Core on PSN, or does not have the manpower. But it merely means that they have to go out of their way to arrange such a release, and the game is 3 years old right now, and they probably just don't feel the demand or need to do so at the moment. They might do it later on as part of a promotional campaign for another upcoming game, like how they put the PS1 FF games out each time they were promoting some other FF title.

The original Dissidia is still not available on PSN in Japan, but it will be released on PSN next month along with the release of the Ultimate Hits version on UMD. This is a good example of how S-E approaches PSN releases for old titles. They don't just randomly put it out, it has to be matched with their retail or promotional plans as an overall company. If there is another budget re-release of FFT or Crisis Core on PSP in the future, they will almost certainly also have that on PSN.

Chemo

GrumpyAlien said:
That really sucks for Go owners. I almost ended up getting a Go last month because of the nicer screen and other functions. But the lack of Crisis Core, FF Tactics, and some others not being on PSN made me end up with the 3000. Glad I did that because BBS is probably my most looked forward to game.

To note, the real version of FFT is totally compatible with the Go.

I'm not a PSP-anything owner anymore but I figured I'd point that out.

Tensai

Banned
MrPliskin said:
Yea, we'll see I suppose. The game isn't really that important to me right now.

Either way, I think it's fairly certain that, at some point in time (no matter how far off) this will see release on another platform, and I'll play it then. I don't want UMD's, period. If I don't have the option, I won't play the game.
You could always install CFW and rip the UMD to the memory stick.

Pangya

I picked up the PSP 3000 around the time Persona 3 Portable came out and bought the UMD for it. I also bought the limited edition Ys 7. I ended up selling those games on the buy/sell/trade thread and bought the digital versions (kept the Ys 7 goodies). Still have the PSP 3000 though.

It was all because I picked up a PSP Go used on craiglist for 120 that included the cradle and component cables. The reason I did this was that Kmart had a sale recently that made it so if you bought a $20 PSN card you would get a $10 coupon that could be used towards another card... needless to say I had about $400 worth of PSN cash that I bought for around $210. That was my main motivation for going all digital. The PSP Go analog nub feels much better than the 3000's, but the shoulder buttons are a bit weird.

That being said, it would be nice if KH:BBS came out on PSN but I guess it's time for me to buy another UMD :D

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Stumpokapow said:
Japan PSP Go:

Last ten weeks of sales:
Media Create numbers have 4 digit sales. Famitsu has stayed at 3.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Chris1964 said:
Media Create numbers have 4 digit sales. Famitsu has stayed at 3.

I was trying to be optimistic for the poor kids whose hearts are breaking more with each subsequent post!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Who's fault is it ? Both parties messed up here unless it's all SE. WHo knows without talking to the people in charge of putting things on the store.

And if you have a friend with a UMD enabled PSP, couldn't you just let him rip the game for you or is that wrong?

Kind of crap. I know I would still buy and have a friend do that, permitting it being legal of course.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
LiquidMetal14 said:
Who's fault is it ? Both parties messed up here unless it's all SE. WHo knows without talking to the people in charge of putting things on the store.
It can't be only SE when 3rd Birthday comes to PSP Go.

Peff

LiquidMetal14 said:
And if you have a friend with a UMD enabled PSP, couldn't you just let him rip the game for you or is that wrong?

Wouldn't you need CFW for the game to run, which doesn't exist on the PSP Go yet?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Chris1964 said:
It can't be only SE when 3rd Birthday comes to PSP Go.
I would like a direct answer from both sides then. Who would actually have to do the real work to make an image or whatever file type would be put up on PSN? I'm sure that burden lies more on the SE side of things. I would believe that Sony is just putting the game up on their wall and letting people in (so to speak).

Peff said:
Wouldn't you need CFW for the game to run, which doesn't exist on the PSP Go yet?
Duh, sorry, totally forgot that fact.

I guess KHBbS will be the first retail game that costs almost 200 then (since you have to buy a regular PSP :lol)

gofreak said:
I'm surprised they released Go if they couldn't at the very least put it in their licensing agreement for all psp pubs going forward that they had to put their game on PSN.

You're surprised that, using the big fat nothing they had as leverage in this situation, Sony was unable to convince all their licensed publishers to agree to a new contract that only imposed new restrictions on them without also providing any benefits?

shidoshi said:
How about, I don't know, putting them on BOTH?

At some point there will be a system on which DD versions of major titles aren't overpriced bullshit that nobody buys, and then I am sure publishers will start actively caring about releasing them.

Top Bottom