• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How could you let this happen Sony!? Kingdom Hearts not coming to PSN/PSPGo

McLovin

Kotaku said:
Are you a big Kingdom Hearts fan? Did you trade in your normal PSP for a sleek and shiny PSP Go last year? Then you won't be playing Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep any time soon.

Amidst rumors that the latest entry in the Kingdom Hearts series, due for UMD release next month, would not see a digital release, blogger and Arizona Daily Star writer Phil Villarreal contacted Square Enix PR firm Ogilvy for a firm answer, and that answer is no, there are no plans to release Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep on the PlayStation Network, which is the only way PSP Go owners would be able to play it.
So this will affect how many hundred people?

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Lets look at the bright side! I recently discovered that when the PSP GO's battery completely drains before turning itself off it creates a Save State of the game you're playing so you can just pickup from where you were after recharging!

Now I never have to worrry about saving before my battery runs out! <3 Game Pause feature!
I'm dying on the inside.

SlickVic

I could never see the appeal of the PSP Go. See a PSP game on sale at a store? Whoops, can't play it on a Go since there's no UMD drive. Already have a collection of UMD games? Sorry, no way to transfer them over to play on a Go. The 16GB of storage was pretty meh too considering you can buy a 3000 and a 16GB MS Duo for less than what a Go retails for.

Overall, one has to wonder what Sony was thinking when they gave this system the go ahead. The fact new releases aren't getting digital download options (which you think Sony would've made a requirement for publishers now) just adds to this comedy of errors.

Persona7

Banned
Has anyone here actually just went straight to a PSPgo and not owned a regular PSP before?

The 2 people I know who purchased a go bought it for supplemental purposes and own a normal PSP as well.

anddo0

SlickVic said:
I could never see the appeal of the PSP Go. See a PSP game on sale at a store? Whoops, can't play it on a Go since there's no UMD drive. Already have a collection of UMD games? Sorry, no way to transfer them over to play on a Go. The 16GB of storage was pretty meh too considering you can buy a 3000 and a 16GB MS Duo for less than what a Go retails for.

Overall, one has to wonder what Sony was thinking when they gave this system the go ahead. The fact new releases aren't getting digital download options (which you think Sony would've made a requirement for publishers now) just adds to this comedy of errors.

Most, if not all new releases get a digital release. KH stands out because it's the first major title not to be confirmed as a PSN release. I'd be hard pressed to form a list of newer releases that haven't made their way to PSN... because it doesn't happen often... And yes, I'm a Go owner. I don't regret my purchase at all. KH looks to be the first game I won't be able to obtain because of the PSPGo's digital format.

Well, I guess it gives me a reason to trot this one out again :D
kaz_pspgo.jpg

leng jai

IPoopStandingUp said:
Lets look at the bright side! I recently discovered that when the PSP GO's battery completely drains before turning itself off it creates a Save State of the game you're playing so you can just pickup from where you were after recharging!

Now I never have to worrry about saving before my battery runs out! <3 Game Pause feature!
I'm dying on the inside.

I'm dying on the outside

duckroll

anddo0 said:
Most, if not all new releases get a digital release. KH stands out because it's the first major title not to be confirmed as a PSN release. I'd be hard pressed to form a list of newer releases that haven't made their way to PSN... because it doesn't happen often... And yes, I'm a Go owner. I don't regret my purchase at all. KH looks to be the first game I won't be able to obtain because of the PSPGo's digital format.

It might be true in the US, because most of the major releases are first party, and Peace Walker appeared on PSN. In Japan though, it's a whole other story. It is not uncommon for new titles to not show up on PSN, especially higher profile ones. Sometimes weeks or months after the initial release, such a title might find its way on PSN, sometimes it doesn't get put on PSN at all.

depward

Serenade said:
What's so funny? Love my PSPgo. Had a PSP-1000 and a PSP-2000 (special Japan Monster Hunter edition, even) and sold both because I didn't have a need for them.

It's cool to bag on the PSPgo. But, really, I find it to be exactly what I want. Maybe it doesn't offer what you want, that's cool.

Diablos

If I owned a PSPGo and was looking forward to this game I'd be pretty furious right now.

So if Disney is who ultimately prevented a PSN release... what's their reasoning? They don't want any of their content on someone else's network?

Shanlei91

Diablos said:
If I owned a PSPGo and was looking forward to this game I'd be pretty furious right now.

So if Disney is who ultimately prevented a PSN release... what's their reasoning? They don't want any of their content on someone else's network?
I don't even know if that's the reasoning...didn't they release some Disney PSOne classics a month back?

Gravijah said:
I actually have a close friend who keeps trying to buy a PSPGo. I have to talk him out of it every single time.

If he has a PSP1000/2000/3000 already, sure. If he's relying on the Go being his only handheld PSP system, then kick him in the balls everytime he mentions getting one.

Blu_LED said:
So instead of selling 60,000 copies it will sell 55,000 copies.

:lol

Gravijah

black_vegeta said:
If he has a PSP1000/2000/3000 already, sure. If he's relying on the Go being his only handheld PSP system, then kick him in the balls everytime he mentions getting one.

He sold me his PSP1000 for 100 dollars years ago. He then sold me his PSP2000 a few years later for 100 dollars.

He's not very good at keeping consoles.

Gravijah said:
He sold me his PSP1000 for 100 dollars years ago. He then sold me his PSP2000 a few years later for 100 dollars.

He's not very good at keeping consoles.

He's in the game of flipping PSP's.

If you want a PSPGo for cheap, let him buy it...then snatch it off off him for 100 bones.

SlickVic

anddo0 said:

Yeah, I should've mentioned most NA releases do show up on PSN, it just seems in Japan there are a lot of new releases that either get delayed on PSN or don't show up at all (as mentioned by other posters). The Kingdom Hearts issue is what made me aware of all this though; I figured Sony would require all publishers to put their new releases on PSN for Go users, but surprisingly this isn't the case.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
The PSPGo was an obvious abortion from the very day it was announced. Anyone who thought otherwise was deluding him- or herself. Anyone that still thinks otherwise is fucking certifiable. The thing is such an incredibly epic failure, I honestly cannot believe that Sony hasn't swept it under the rug yet. The PS3 missteps were at least potentially remediable with the passing of enough time. Nothing can or ever could save the PSPGo.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
depward said:
What's so funny? Love my PSPgo. Had a PSP-1000 and a PSP-2000 (special Japan Monster Hunter edition, even) and sold both because I didn't have a need for them.

It's cool to bag on the PSPgo. But, really, I find it to be exactly what I want. Maybe it doesn't offer what you want, that's cool.
I'm laughing because you posted in this thread to say you weren't interested in the game at hand and you've been reading the thread waiting for someone to quote you so you can explain how awesome the Go is for you

that's why i'm laughing

duckroll

Mejilan said:
The PSPGo was an obvious abortion from the very day it was announced. Anyone who thought otherwise was deluding him- or herself. Anyone that still thinks otherwise is fucking certifiable. The thing is such an incredibly epic failure, I honestly cannot believe that Sony hasn't swept it under the rug yet. The PS3 missteps were at least potentially remediable with the passing of enough time. Nothing can or ever could save the PSPGo.

Yeah, but it's worth noting that the PSP Go is not a unique system. There are no PSP Go exclusive games, nor does the system have any sort of unique support from publishers. The PSP Go failing just means the R&D that went into it, and the production of the actual unit is a loss. Moving forward though, there is no loss associated with the Go in terms of software titles.

So while the PSP Go is an epic failure, and I will continue to laugh at it every chance I get, it's not very different from a publisher releasing a shitty game which ends up bombing (and everyone could tell it was going to bomb before it was even released). It's pretty much a one off because there is no additional failure attached with the Go failing. All PSN services and features which increased in output because of the Go continues to benefit all regular PSP users as well.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Serenade said:
I'm laughing because you posted in this thread to say you weren't interested in the game at hand and you've been reading the thread waiting for someone to quote you so you can explain how awesome the Go is for you

that's why i'm laughing

I found this response to your post by accident.

depward: said:
Well the PSP GO is a fabulous system!
Its screen is so shiny that I can see my dashing face in there!
It's the first true portable. It fits nicely in my tight jean's pocket because I am so ruggedly hip!
It was so expensive that only cool, handsome rich people like myself own it!

Vigilant Walrus said:
But don't you guys think KH in all its form will come when we know more about KH3? It might be a secret weapon they have in hiding.

What?

These are barely statements.

LiquidMetal14 said:
Who's fault is it ? Both parties messed up here unless it's all SE. WHo knows without talking to the people in charge of putting things on the store.

It's not a mess up if it's a conscious decision.

Man God said:
I found this response to your post by accident.

depward said:
Well the PSP GO is a fabulous system!
Its screen is so shiny that I can see my dashing face in there!
It's the first true portable. It fits nicely in my tight jean's pocket because I am so ruggedly hip!
It was so expensive that only cool, handsome rich people like myself own it!

:lol

Hopefully this rich, dashing PSP GO owner isn't a Kingdom Hearts fan.

charlequin said:
You're surprised that, using the big fat nothing they had as leverage in this situation, Sony was unable to convince all their licensed publishers to agree to a new contract that only imposed new restrictions on them without also providing any benefits?

I don't know...Sony must be extremely persuasive considering how well the PSP is supported, in light of how dead it is and how long it's been that way. I don't see why that persuasiveness wouldn't extend to this. Maybe they just didn't try.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
duckroll said:
So while the PSP Go is an epic failure, and I will continue to laugh at it every chance I get, it's not very different from a publisher releasing a shitty game which ends up bombing (and everyone could tell it was going to bomb before it was even released). It's pretty much a one off because there is no additional failure attached with the Go failing. All PSN services and features which increased in output because of the Go continues to benefit all regular PSP users as well.

Only those stupid enough to accept paying higher prices for mostly late content with absolutely no resale value. But I will admit that the further development of PSN was less of a failure than the Go hardware. And, much like the PS3, remediable with enough time and investment.

Shanlei91

When I see all of the hate on here I feel so ridiculous for loving my GO as much as I do.

Other than Kingdom Hearts I don't think there's been any other major let downs on the US end, in terms of new releases. The lack of UMD support basically meant that it would be a niche PSP model for those who wanted a smaller device and no UMDs to lug around - basically a PSP meant to keep in one's pocket. Though I get the feeling that the majority of people who own a handheld don't actually play on short commutes and as such find little to no need for portability.

I just hope that future Playstation Portables, in whatever flavor they come in, include the Game Pause feature. While my comment before about it was my attempt at being facetious, it really is the one thing about the GO that made me sell my 2000.

...But really, has Square Enix even hinted at any reason for not selling Kingdom Hearts on PSN? It's not like only GO owners have access to PSN.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I can't fault the hardware design of the GO. It's a really neat little thing. If they had come up with some sort of UMD reader/license transfer tool it'd be perfect, albeit a bit expensive.

The sacrifices it makes for its design however kill it in the end. A UMD PSP is cheaper, has hundreds of more games that undoubtedly cost less because of the terrible western market for them. Every PSP game I've bought since the year after launch has been less than $15. Most under $10.

Acosta

Well, Go it's a fantastic portable, it´s a shame Sony failed so hard with timing, management, price, etc because the machine itself is great. I still think it´s my favourite portable system ever design wise, a sweet spot between portability, screen size and comfort (one of the best d-pad I have used, on portables or consoles).

Fortunately, things turned out ok for me. I exchanged a PSP 3000 for a Go + GT Mobile and 120 euros while I kept my original PSP with 1.5 firmware for emulation. But thanks to the Half-Byte loader, now Go is my emulation machine (which is great because the d-pad is way better] and the old PSP goes back on duty for the UMD games I'm still interested.

Aside of the personal output, it really irks me. I know Sony deserve mocking for this, but it's unfortunate they dropped the ball with such a well designed model. One thing is failing at selling the thing, but not being able to grant the complete catalogue of the system on PSN it´s a failure of the worst case, a failure to the costumers. They should have never release it if they had no warranties of granting the full catalogue of PSP on PSN. It´s really unfortunate.

d[-_-]b said:
Is it moar rare then Pikachu in viridian forest?

maybe even as rare as catching a Kangaskhan on the first attempt in the safari zone, man.

It's a shame because the Go is a really good looking handheld...Sony just seemed desperate to make it fail though.

Top Bottom