• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Rise of the Tomb Raider on Xbox One X improves over PS4 Pro - Digital Foundry

Digital Foundry goes hands-on with a key enhanced title.

Let's talk basics first - an on-site Square-Enix representative told us that talented Dutch developer Nixxes has handled the port on behalf of Crystal Dynamics. It's an interesting choice bearing in mind that Crystal produced the original Xbox One version. However, the benefits are obvious - Nixxes is responsible for the PC, Xbox 360, PS4 and PS4 Pro versions of the game, and this means that the X version runs with the enhancements made on the latest PS4 update. Case in point: Crystal never fixed the input lag issues on the original Xbox One release, while the X port retains the crisper right-stick control of the latest PS4 title update.

Just like the PS4 Pro game, there are three specific game modes you can swap between in real-time - all of them boasting considerable upgrades on Xbox One X. The checkerboard 4K mode on Pro is boosted to full, native ultra HD with a mostly consistent 30 frames per second. We spotted some slowdown when the screen is filled with rushing water as you negotiate one of the puzzles, but otherwise performance is solid - not a bad showing for alpha code. This is backed by higher resolution art assets and improved texture filtering - all of which in combination offers a distinct visual upgrade over the equivalent PS4 Pro mode.

The Pro's 'enriched' mode also makes an appearance on Xbox One X and seems to feature a very similar visual feature set, packing in more graphical upgrades ported over from the PC version. However, the big difference here is that it's presented as an alternative 4K mode, as opposed to PS4's 1080p presentation. It's not immediately clear how Nixxes has pulled this off, but there's a slight shimmering effect around edges in motion, and a curious vertical interlace-type effect when the game is paused, suggesting some kind of temporal reconstruction or checkerboarding technique (no claims are made for a native presentation here). Regardless, it's a really nice addition - there's a lot of controversy surrounding 'smart' upscaling techniques vs native resolution rendering. Rise of the Tomb Raider on Xbox One X offers users the ability to choose between razor-sharpness or a softer look, but with more visual features in place.

Rounding off the package of rendering modes is another port from PlayStation 4 Pro - the high frame-rate option. This drops back the quality to base PS4/Xbox One equivalent settings and unlocks performance, diverting the Scorpio Engine's power to raw throughput. Unfortunately, the demo doesn't include the Geothermal Valley - the ultimate stress test area for the title, and particularly stressful on CPU - but the entirety of the Prophet's Tomb level played back locked at 60 frames per second.

On top of that, there are further enhancements we've not seen on any other platform: Dolby Atmos spatial surround support is confirmed, along with HDR rendering. We actually saw HDR running on the PC version of the game way back in March 2016 at Nvidia's GTX 1080 launch (there's even a blog post from Nixxes about it), but for reasons unknown, the feature never made its way to users. With this in mind, we're hopeful that HDR support will roll out to all Rise of the Tomb Raider users, regardless of platform.

Of course Rise of the Tomb Raider is an older game, but it remains one of the most impressive third party games of this generation, and a highly demanding workout for a range of hardware when maxed out in its excellent PC incarnation. But perhaps by this point, the game has more of a reputation as a technical benchmark - and in this respect, this first hands-on suggests that Xbox One X will indeed deliver the best console version of a particularly challenging third-party title.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-how-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-on-xbox-one-x-improves-over-ps4-pro

Kilau

Looks solid but no Geothermal Valley test, the most demanding and frankly ugliest part of the game.

Raide

More games should have multiple graphics options. I wonder how high they could push the 60fps at 1080p? Looking foreard to the video showing the X specific stuff off.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Nice. Now to decide what gets the best bang for the buck on my 1080p screen, 60 fps or enhanced. I hope this level of options becomes the standard

Nice. Now to decide what gets the best bang for the buck on my 1080p screen, 60 fps or enhanced. I hope this level of options becomes the standard

60fps all the way. I have a 4k TV for my pro and if there's a 60fps option, I'll always go to that regardless.

Having games feel better than look better always comes first in my book.

borges

Banned
60fps all the way. I have a 4k TV for my pro and if there's a 60fps option, I'll always go to that regardless.

Having games feel better than look better always comes first in my book.

yesyesyes.gif
To each its own, but better framerate makes all difference for me.

JlNX

That all sounds actually like a pretty nice upgrade, I wish more developers would put in this sort of work.

Gestault

Nixxes putting in that work. A native-res option, the new texture filtering levels, and the jump in responsiveness are the three ideal check-boxes, and they went beyond even that. Rise of the Tomb Raider got nods for being one of the best in its genre, and that still shows. The more open exploration/collection is something I liked in particular, without it feeling too arbitrary. Seeing these improvements being worked into new updates may even mean a replay for me, down the road.

It's nice knowing the improvement to responsiveness will trickle down into the standard XB1 version, too. Perfect choice for the dev.

It's great that they went beyond the Pro enhancements they had already developed, but this is Nixxes we're talking about, so of course they did. Looking forward to the face-off!

f@luS

More than a member.
Nice upgrade. Already got it on pro and it was awesome looking but played just 30m. Too many games to play.

Will maybe take it when it will be around 10 if I didn't play on pro in the meantime

The upgrade if free if you have the game right ?

Sounds about right considering the power difference. Looks like they pulled a bit of technical wizardry as well. Definitely a good comparison by DF.

ethomaz

Banned
It is weird to see Nixxes doing a better job than original devs. XB1 version being the ugly face of the game.

I believe they will push the most they can with XB1X port and some gamers will finally face how the input lag was beyond horrendous in original version.

Good news for all.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
This is quite the upgrade, and I love the variety in quality choices. Everyone gets satisfied here.

I hope this is a standard that other devs take on, and even if they can't do it themselves, they can contract Nixxes to do so.

Bravo, I think I will buy this just on principle to support the great work.

Other developers take note. It's also a good example how utter shit it really is that Bungie isn't doing a thing to take advantage of the One X hardware.

Arklite

I hope this level of options becomes the standard

Considering Rise's support on Pro is still several steps ahead than most efforts, I wouldn't hold my breath, but it'd be great if more devs put this much effort into the enthusiast versions.

The enhanced option is very impressive, even if they are using checkerboard given it's 1080p on Pro (but perhaps they could have pushed that version a little further)
It is weird to see Nixxes doing a better job than original devs. XB1 version being the ugly face of the game.

I believe they will push the most they can with XB1X port and some gamers will finally face how the input lag was beyond horrendous in original version.

Good news for all.
The input lag is a major drawback, but even on xbone the game is beautiful, runs at 1080p when every other 3rd party game with similar fidelity is 900p,and has a very good framerate as well.

Good news for all.

Better job than the original devs? The X1 version of pretty much every game is the 'ugly face'.
Are you surprised Nixxes got better results with an X1X than CD with an X1? I'm confused....

EvB

Good news for all.

What's so wrong with the Xbox Version?

Ushay

Good news for all.

Nixxes output has been excellent this generation, I'm surprised they haven't taken on any full AAA game contracts so far, (assuming they have the manpower for it).

Montresor

What's so wrong with the Xbox Version?

The original XB1 version is absolutely gorgeous. But I think it'll end up being the only version in existence that has input lag.

This should be considered a black mark on Crystal Dynamics. Why can Nixxes output better versions of Rise of the Tomb Raider (PS4, PS4Pro, XB1X) than Crystal Dynamics?

Well to be fair Crystal Dynamics are the ones that created the art, the level design, game play scenarios, tombs, overworld, etc... The game is their baby. But it doesn't speak well to their technical abilities when Nixxes seems to be acutely aware of input lag and Crystal Dynamics seems entirely clueless.

The input lag didn't bother me by the way. But objective timing tests prove it's a real thing - and it affects people who are sensitive to it. I'm glad I wasn't sensitive to it as I played through it on XB1 with no issues.

This should be considered a black mark on Crystal Dynamics. Why can Nixxes output better versions of Rise of the Tomb Raider (PS4, PS4Pro, XB1X) than Crystal Dynamics?

I don't think Crystal Dynamics has thought much about RotTR since maybe a few months after launch. Nixxies is a great studio to handle the porting, but the motive for them handling literally all of the other versions was most likely to allow CD to focus on their next projects, which are an Avengers game and Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

EvB

The original XB1 version is absolutely gorgeous. But I think it'll end up being the only version in existence that has input lag.

About that...
knipselt5kvv.png

Nothing here to convince me to spend £450 an Xbox One X but it's not a bad upgrade for those looking for some improvements over the already great looking XB1 / PS4 / Pro versions.

Gestault

Maybe I'm the one mistaken here, but I'd assume the way general patching works that the reduced input delay will be in place on a vanilla XB1 system as well?

Widge

Nixxes output has been excellent this generation, I'm surprised they haven't taken on any full AAA game contracts so far, (assuming they have the manpower for it).

All I've ever heard is how good Nixxes are at porting. I remember really enjoying the Deus Ex PC port.

Arklite

Well to be fair Crystal Dynamics are the ones that created the art, the level design, game play scenarios, tombs, overworld, etc... The game is their baby. But it doesn't speak well to their technical abilities when Nixxes seems to be acutely aware of input lag and Crystal Dynamics seems entirely clueless.

The input lag didn't bother me by the way. But objective timing tests prove it's a real thing - and it affects people who are sensitive to it. I'm glad I wasn't sensitive to it as I played through it on XB1 with no issues.

IMO, Crystal would've probably worked on a latency fix if there had been enough demand for it. Like your last paragraph edit, a lot of people just waved the issue off. In the Xbox OT they couldn't come to a consensus on how bad or not bad it was. Contrast that to the PS4 release where people complained immediately and received prompt patch work.

RootCause

Nooice!
Can't wait to see the benefits on open world games like RDR2. You guys think GTAV will get patched? Might buying a second time if that's the case.

JoeLT

When this was announced this was what I wanted from the patch:
Seeing as the base Xbox One is 1080p/locked 30 I'm hoping the three modes are this:

1. 4K/30 with some improved settings over base Xbox as there is a bit of headroom.
2. 4K Checkerboard/30 with higher end PC settings, or 1440p but would prefer checkerboard.
3. 4K Checkerboard/60fps with base Xbox One settings bar texture resolution and filtering due to the extra Ram. Xbox One X is a 4x increase so 1080p/30 to 4K checkerboard/60 is entirely possible as far as I understand. That or 1440p.

Im actually ecstatic my hopes for the first two modes have been fully realised AND the input lag is fixed! Would really appreciate checkerboarding or at least improved texture filtering in the 60fps mode, but the fact it's running at near 60 is fantastic!

Maybe I'm the one mistaken here, but I'd assume the way general patching works that the reduced input delay will be in place on a vanilla XB1 system as well?
I am quite confident this will be the case, it's not a seperate game so assumeably it will affect both consoles.

EvB

I stand corrected then?

I'm at work and I don't have time to delve into this deeper, but I could've sworn XB1 version was the black sheep in terms of input lag.

It was the black sheep in that there was a year when there was nothing else to compare it to, except a different Tomb Raider game.

Top Bottom