• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Rise of the Tomb Raider on Xbox One X improves over PS4 Pro - Digital Foundry

I feel it is gonna be hard for OG users not to upgrade. They have been punished too long with that mediocre tech. This looks really solid.

Just think about what it's going to do for 360 games. Unggghhfff. Some last gen games are going to get a final definitive version.

Justinh

Case in point: Crystal never fixed the input lag issues on the original Xbox One release, while the X port retains the crisper right-stick control of the latest PS4 title update.
Awesome.

This is great to see. I was hoping since Nixxes was working on this game that this was the case. Nice to see it in writing, though.

I got used to the lag initially when it came out and was able to ignore it to finish the game, but since I played it on PC, I can't not feel it and it just feel like crap now.

I'm really happy they said this is a free update too (I saw this somewhere else though). I can't wait to get my X (PS edition).

In case anyone cares to know where I saw that it's free, I saw it on the trailer for the X enhanced update on youtube in the description.
The Xbox One X update will be available on November 7. Xbox One X players who already own the game on an Xbox One platform will receive the update for free.

So is it confirmed that in high frame rate mode on Xbox One X the title is still in some form of 4K resolution? If it's locked at 60 fps there that's really impressive, but I'll still wait for the full DF analysis in the fall because Geothermal Valley was the only point on PS4 Pro's unlocked mode that I could tell was dragging a bit.

belvedere

Junior Butler
So is it confirmed that in high frame rate mode on Xbox One X the title is still in some form of 4K resolution? If it's locked at 60 fps there that's really impressive, but I'll still wait for the full DF analysis in the fall because Geothermal Valley was the only point on PS4 Pro's unlocked mode that I could tell was dragging a bit.

Yeah that's how I remember it too. DF stated that the Pro held mostly 60fps except for the large hub areas.

Fredrik

I'll still wait for the full DF analysis in the fall because Geothermal Valley was the only point on PS4 Pro's unlocked mode that I could tell was dragging a bit.
It actually do the same even on PC with a 1080ti so don't hold your breath that it'll be smooth on X either :/

I can't wait to get my X (PS edition).
I had to read that several times before I got that you meant Project Scorpio Edition, to me it seems like you said Playstation edition lol

Colbert

Banned

Unfortunately the article isn't clear on that matter. But seeing that the Xbox One X is capable to render 2160p CBR at the Enriched Game Mode I can imagine Nixxes managed it to run in Performance Mode just with the same render solution. We will see when DF had a chance to test the game after 7th Nov.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Unfortunately the article isn't clear on that matter. But seeing that the Xbox One X is capable to render 2160p CBR at the Enriched Game Mode I can imagine Nixxes managed it to run in Performance Mode just with the same render solution. We will see when DF had a chance to test the game after 7th Nov.
The article isn't clear on anything really, theres no comparisons or anything to go by.
obviously Nixxis has optimize the game even more since the Pro version a year ago, but it would be nice to see their results .
As I said previous I expect an update for all versions including PC when this hits.

c0de

I hope they also tell us what effect both 4k native mode and enriched with cb have when downsampled to 1080p.

KageMaru

I REALLY hope they add HDR to other platforms. I've been playing on the PC but will wait for a HDR patch.

Im am surprised gaf use use nx gamer for anything. I mean it is good to have an alternative to DF but after 4-5 videos from him, all his videos sounded like guess job. I unsubscribed his channel a long time ago, why do I even want tech analysis that is just some dude's guess work.

Not to shit on DF since I appreciate everything DF and NX gamer do, but you act like DF doesn't do guess work as well. Both sites do the same thing and neither will always be 100% accurate because they don't make these games or have direct access to the code.

It's not surprising that NX doesn't post much here considering how some people are so quick to dismiss or bash him.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I hope they also tell us what effect both 4k native mode and enriched with cb have when downsampled to 1080p.
If you have 1080p TV I'd go for the downsampled Enriched mode.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
We can do a proper lag test once we have the game or when it's patched. We have a rig designed by Nigel Woodall available which produces very accurate results inch should put this to rest.

Colbert

Banned
The article isn't clear on anything really, theres no comparisons or anything to go by.
obviously Nixxis has optimize the game even more since the Pro version a year ago, but it would be nice to see their results .
As I said previous I exactly an update for all version including PC when this hits.

The article is relatively clear about the other modes for the Xbox One X which both are described as 4K (native, CBR or temporal reconstruction). The only mode they didn't talk about the resolution was the performance mode. And that was the question I responded too. What has a comparison to PS4 Pro or PC to do with that?

Colbert

Banned
We can do a proper lag test once we have the game or when it's patched. We have a rig designed by Nigel Woodall available which produces very accurate results inch should put this to rest.

While you are here: In what resolution the Performance Mode was running on the Xbox One X? Do you have any info to share on that?

With as much power as the X has, I expected there to be some major upgrades even over PS4 Pro.

I see no reason why this shouldn't carry over to other major releases.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
While you are here in what resolution the Performance Mode was running on the Xbox One X? Do you have any info to share on that?
I believe it is just 1080p. Haven't pixel counted, though, but that's very likely what it will be.

I need to refresh myself on the Pro's frame-rate. Could have sworn it was somewhat unstable most of the time but I might be misremembering. Hard to make a definitive call from a show floor.

Colbert

Banned
I believe it is just 1080p. Haven't pixel counted, though, but that's very likely what it will be.

I need to refresh myself on the Pro's frame-rate. Could have sworn it was somewhat unstable most of the time but I might be misremembering. Hard to make a definitive call from a show floor.

Thank you for the quick response! Let's wait for the release and all the DF face-off glory!

And have a fun gamescom!

Pro's unlocked mode definitely wasn't a consistent 60 fps during most of the game, but it hovered in the 50s and still felt better to me than the locked 30 modes, but I know you're more sensitive to the fluctuations. If Xbox One X is running at 1080p I can only imagine it will stick much closer to 60 outside of the serious choke points in the game.

JoeLT

This is my hope, it may be 1080p now but hopefully they work on it more before Nov 7.

Colbert

Banned
This is my hope, it may be 1080p now but hopefully they work on it more before Nov 7.

I think my assumption could have been wrong. See below.

It is amazing to see how far it has come from the XB1 version even when looking on a 1080p screen.

TepH9xZ.jpg

MRpbGtx.jpg

rokkerkory

Dat bootyful pic :)

Hope there are much more games that do take advantage of the X like this. Makes it harder to hold off.

Hawk269

Just think about what it's going to do for 360 games. Unggghhfff. Some last gen games are going to get a final definitive version.

I would pay for a few 360 games to get a 4k upgrade. Games like Forza Horizon and a few other key title getting a 4k update would be amazing.

JoeLT

I would pay for a few 360 games to get a 4k upgrade. Games like Forza Horizon and a few other key title getting a 4k update would be amazing.
Would be fantastic if they updated the emulator for Xbox One X so 360 games render at 1080p/2160p or other higher resolutions. Would have to be done on a game by game basis to ensure compatibility but would be fantastic.

Hawk269

I'm wondering what the resolution on that one will be in the end.

What ever it is, I hope they lock it down to 60fps and implement a dynamic resolution...this way when the next Xbox comes out it will just run at max resolution/max framerate.

c0de

What ever it is, I hope they lock it down to 60fps and implement a dynamic resolution...this way when the next Xbox comes out it will just run at max resolution/max framerate.

To be honest all games should implement dynamic resolution nowadays as bc should be a given for future console iterations.

Ah crap I still have the PS4 Celebration Edition sealed up with the artbook.

Should I stick with my PS4 version or should I buy a cheap copy of the XB1 version?

f@luS

More than a member.
Ah crap I still have the PS4 Celebration Edition sealed up with the artbook.

Should I stick with my PS4 version or should I buy a cheap copy of the XB1 version?
Was cheap yesterday. More expensive today. That's fucked up
I still have my PS4 pro one ... but i bought it for 20 bucks digital .... didn't play so unless I find for max 10 on cbox during a sale I'll stick to the PS4. It's really good enough I guess on PS4 even though I like the best versions of games

To be honest if anyone picks this up for the first time on Xbox one X, prepare to be surprised as the game is totally awesome and looks amazing

Case in point: Crystal never fixed the input lag issues on the original Xbox One release, while the X port retains the crisper right-stick control of the latest PS4 title update.
Surely the fix will also apply to the base XB1?

Edit: wow, looks like it won't.

Get fucked Microsoft. The more I read about the X the more I feel like a second class citizen as an OG XB1 owner.

J_Viper

Nixxes turning out great work, as expected

I wonder if they go back and update the first Tomb Raider. United Front (RIP) kinda fucked up with that port.

scitek

I REALLY hope they add HDR to other platforms. I've been playing on the PC but will wait for a HDR patch.

I have to wonder if MS didn't pay them to make HDR an exclusive feature for the X. I can't think of any other reason they wouldn't bring it to PC. Especially after Nvidia advertised it as part of their lineup of titles getting HDR support..

Theorry

UPDATE 26/8/17 2:00pm: Digital Foundry has returned from Gamescom and the first order of business is to take a good, hard look at the press assets Square-Enix has revealed for the Xbox One X version of Rise of the Tomb Raider, and to see how they compare with the existing versions of the game. John Linneman has compiled all of his findings into the video analysis below and we've also provided PS4 Pro and PC settings comparison shots to match Square's press images.

There are some interesting observations here - clearly, the top-end PC textures are incorporated into the Xbox One X version as expected (indeed, one shot even shows additional detail we couldn't replicate on PC). Additionally, other changes have been made: on the plus side, PureHair (aka TressFX) seems to get an upgrade, but there's a puzzling downgrade in depth of field rendering. We'll have more on this title as soon as we can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x77TOR9HC5Y

Top Bottom